main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AT-PT beginner attempt

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by myself_me, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myself_me

myself_me Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2003
    Although i've been working with 3d for a loooong time, i finnaly came around to plunging into it hardcore, and bought the star wars guide to vehicles and vessels. I thought the AT-PT would be a nice simple start for a beginner modeller. No further addo...

[image=http://www.myselfstudios.com/at-pt.jpg]
    As you see, that is the

lower half of the AT-PT's leg. Non-textured, about a hour/twohour worth of work. Done in 3dstudiomax 6 trial.

/MM

2. RylorTaduri

RylorTaduri Jedi Master star 2

Sep 2, 2002
    Great job so far!

3. myself_me

Feb 16, 2003
    Hmm, i have a question. This is a mather of person opinion i guess. Do you use greebles if they are not originally included in the original model (to enhance look)? If so or even if not, what modelling techniques do you use on greebles? Boolean? Extrusion? How long do you like to spend greebling?

Thanks, it would help greatly if answered :)

/MM

4. myself_me

Feb 16, 2003
    Thanks Rylor ;).

[image=http://www.myselfstudios.com/at-pt3.jpg]
    update...

/MM

5. myself_me

Feb 16, 2003
    Yet again..

[image=http://www.myselfstudios.com/at-pt8.jpg]

(No one is really interested :p)

EDIT: Now with bigger feet :D. The reference pictures i'm working from are waaay to innacurate. All the pictures are in the same book, with the blueprints. But the full color picture of the at-pt awfuly contradicts the blueprints, so it's quite hard to have this model accurate.

6. Darksteps

Darksteps Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    looks good so far...

most ppl don't frequent this place enough to comment as often as you, give em some time...
    ;)
    Darksteps...

7. ironhide

ironhide Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2004
    That looks nice man, keep up the good work.

I really need to get back to studying max, time and motivation are such problems.

8. Only-One-Tea-Cozy

Only-One-Tea-Cozy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    looking really sweet dude :)

9. NickDW

NickDW Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2004
    Looking good so far.

As far as your boolean problems... I personally try to stay away from booleans as much as possible, with some experimenting I can ussually mae some cuts and extrude whatever it is I need and it turns out allot cleaner since you have more control over the end result.

Keep the updates coming, I'm interested to see how it turns out.

10. myself_me

Feb 16, 2003
    Thanks, i didn't expect so much positive feedback for a first attempt. :) I'm only afraid this 'project' will stop now that i got to texturing - never done it before ... :D. So i consider the modelling the phase done. Now i'm going to group the parts properly, and probably try to set some attach/pivot points so it's animatable. (Might need some help with that.) So here's the latest update..

[image=http://www.myselfstudios.com/untextured-at-pt1.jpg]
    [image=http://www.myselfstudios.com/untextured-at-pt2.jpg]
    [image=http://www.myselfstudios.com/untextured-at-pt3.jpg]
    [image=http://www.myselfstudios.com/untextured-at-pt4.jpg]

I'd also like to ask - the joining point between the upper leg, and the part of the leg that is attached to the canopy, there's a cable there. i'm thinking, i'll be animating this thing walking, and both those parts of the leg will be moving apart from each other, etc. I was wondering - is it possible to somehow ATTACH the cable to both the legs, so that when they are moved, the cable will respond to that movement?

Thanks much ;)

11. myself_me

Feb 16, 2003
    Nevermind, i've been advised it would be too much almost uneccesary work for the cable to look convincing. So now i started grouping, linking, and adjusting pivot points to all the joints. The thing is, in 3dsmax 3, when you established a link between two objects, and the pivot point was right, etc, it created a hierarchy - in other words, let's say i link box 1 to box 2. When i rotate box 1, box 2 rotates too according to it's pivot point. In 3dstudiomax 6, this isn't automatic, and i can't figure out why it doesn't create this hierarchy. Any ideas?

Help muchly appreciated..

Thanks.

12. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Not bad. I would add alot more detail to at least the legs. THere is on ATPT on the site and there's a couple of threads here for this model too... both which can give you some good ideas for detail.

13. NickDW

NickDW Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2004
    I was going to make the same comment as Zoo about adding some detail to the legs. Nothing major maybe just some extrudes to make it look more pieced together.
    As it is now the legs are lacking allot of detail that the "head"/turret has.

As for your question - Yes , it should automatically do it when you link them, if it doesn't then you'll need to manually adjust the hiarchy.

I can't think of how to right off hand since I'm not an experianced animator but I'll look into it for you.

14. myself_me

Feb 16, 2003
    Well, i just came back from viewing TheDig's model, and i'll just say.... wow..... there's a good period worth of work in that one. But i don't really intend to go any further with modelling this one. Firstly, because this model is not really worth enhancing. It's been a good learning experience (since that's the first ever model that resembles the original more then an apple resembling an airspeeder). But there are many mistakes in it i'm not interested in going back and fixing. Intersected polygons, bad booleaning work... i'll be just happy to leave the model at this, texture it, animate it, maybe include in a fxtest just for some fun, and on to the next one, which i'll dive into more seriously. (Making sure no mistakes such as i listed sooner are not left behind).

Cheers!

/MM ;)

15. NickDW

NickDW Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2004

Ok just to make sure, per your example.... you link Box 1 to Box 2. Now when you rotate Box 1 nothing happens with Box 2 , correct?

Now if you selected the "Select and Link" tool then clicked on Box 1 and drug it over to Box 2 to link it then Box 2 is the parent. That means when you rotate Box 1 it will rotate independantly, But when you rotate Box 2 , Box 1 should rotate arounds Box 2's pivot.

so if you want Box 1 to control Box 2 you're going to have to drag the "Link" tool from Box 2 to Box 1 (in essance it's backwards, I. E. to make the foot move with the leg you'll have to drag from the foor to the leg.)

Does that make sense?

16. myself_me

Feb 16, 2003
    Thanks, helped much :)

17. NickDW

NickDW Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2004
    Did that fix your problem then?

If so I was glad I could help.

18. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    very nice, will be great once its fully textured...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.