main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

At the end of RotS do Obi and Yoda know about Darth Vader?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Vaderfan14, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaderfan14

Vaderfan14 Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2006
    I think they do because why would you go into hiding if you didn't know. Yet there is still some doubt because Obi was talking like he knew Anakin was as good as dead on Mustafar. So do they know that the new cyborg vader was built yet?

2. TheDarkSideAreThey

TheDarkSideAreThey Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2004
    At the end of ROTS, Obiwan for sure doesn't know about Darth Vader, being alive that is. Obiwan left Vader to die on Mustafar and the distance he put between them by going to Tatooine put him far away enough to where he couldn't sense him. Vader didn't sense Obiwan again until he showed up on the Death Star.

Yoda is another story. Yoda may have been able to sense Vader's pain when he learns of Padme's death, but I know he would have been able to sense Vader's death if he had died.

There is more insight on this subject in the EU, but I won't spoil it.

3. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    From the ROTS shooting script:

YODA: Destroy the Sith, we must.

OBI-WAN: Send me to kill the Emperor. I will not kill Anakin.

YODA: To fight this Lord Sidious, strong enough, you are not.

OBI-WAN: He is like my brother ... I cannot do it.

YODA: Twisted by the dark side, young Skywalker has become. The boy you trained, gone he is . . . Consumed by Darth Vader.

OBI-WAN: How could it have come to this?

YODA: To question, no time there is.

OBI-WAN: I do not know where the Emperor has sent him. I don't know where to look.

YODA: Use your feelings, Obi-Wan, and find him, you will. Visit the new Emperor, my task is. May the Force be with you.

OBI-WAN: May the Force be with you, Master Yoda.

So they knew, both of them. As The DarkSideAreThey notes, not clear if they know Vader lived after Mustafar. But my bet is that Obi-Wan and Yoda both 'felt' him, and realized that he lived.

4. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    The reason they go into hiding isn't because of Vader, it's because of Sidious' new Empire where he has declared all Jedi must die. They believe Anakin is dead. In the EU it says that Obi-Wan found out Vader was still alive a few months after ROTS and he was shocked and saddened by it. But again, Vader isn't the reason they hid, Vader was but a minion of Sidious.

5. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    And there's what Obi tells Luke in ANH, how Anakin was killed by Vader.

6. BareBodkin

BareBodkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2005
    I don't think either knew at the end, though, if Yoda could sense Mace Windu's death from across the galaxy (or even Anakin's agony on Tatooine) I'm sure he would eventually pick up on Vader's Force signature. Same for Obi-Wan.

7. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    How come Obi-Wan recognises Vader in ANH then?

8. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I am sure Vader has been on Imperial t.v. once or twice and I am certain Obi-Wan has a television in that hut of his. :p

9. BareBodkin

Apr 6, 2005
    Force signature.

There's no reason for him to ever have to see Vader before ANH, though, I'm sure he did on a HoloNet broadcast in Anchorhead or elsewhere.

10. Mace_Windu111690

Mace_Windu111690 Jedi Master

Mar 7, 2006
    I think that Obi Wan knew Anakin could survive but he mainly was thinking I'll just leave him for death instead of killing him with his light saber, I do not know what Yoda's thoughts were about this but I wonder when the two found out Vader was alive, I also wonder if those to (Obi Wan and Yoda), kept in tact with each other threw out the time of the empire(When Obi Wan was still alive).

11. DarthDannyboy

DarthDannyboy Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    I'm not so sure Yoda felt Mace dying as much as he did Anakin's turning. That is when the Force become one big mess and it shook him to the core. As highly atuned as Yoda was to the Force, he could sense Anakin's power from anywhere, so he very well may have known of his being alive.

12. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I've always been under the impression that Obi-Wan knew about Anakin becoming Vader, evidenced by what Yoda said to him in ROTS and what he said to Luke in ROTJ and ANH

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas said that Obi-wan left Anakin for dead. So he doesn't know that he lived. In "Dark Lord", Obi-wan finds out while watching a holonet news program showing his most recent feats. In the ANH novelization, when he is making his way back to the Falcon, he senses a familiar but different presence. He notes that the person has since matured since they last saw each other.

Obi-wan and Yoda both think that Sidious will find a new Apprentice and thus that person will want to find and kill them. Qui-gon tells Obi-wan that Luke will be safe and most likely, he told Yoda about Vader.

14. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I haven't read that book yet so I don't know the answer to this. When Obi-Wan learns Vader survived, is it only that he senses him through the Force? Does he see what Vader's become or is it only mention of a Darth Vader that Obi-Wan picks up on?

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm going to put this in spoiler tags, in case Roland comes in here to read this. I kinda spoiled the end for him, the other day in a different thread.

Palpatine has decided that it would be prudent to show off Vader to the galaxy, now that he's fully enveloped by the Dark Side. Cut to Anchorhead where we see Obi-wan sitting in a cantina, watching as the Lars shop with baby Luke. He spots the holonet broadcast of Vader on Kashyyyk or Courscant, I can't recall which time. Anyway, when he hears that the new Imperial agent is named Darth Vader, Obi-wan freaks out. He realizes it's Anakin, because there's no way Sidious would use that name on another Apprentice. So it's watching HNN, which is like CNN for us. :p

16. BareBodkin

Apr 6, 2005
    Is that from Dark Lord?

17. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Alright, so does the book describe what Obi-Wan sees? It sounds like Obi-Wan's ears perk up to the news. I'm curious if the footage was the first time he sees Vader or was it on the Death Star.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Someone points out the footage and he looks up. Then he sees and hears the broadcaster talk about the footage and who the person is. He sees the black armor and hears the name. He never once senses it's him, he just knows it is. Now, when you get down to it, it's up to you. If you're a fan of the books and have no problem with them, then this is the first time Obi-wan sees Vader and realizes that he survived Mustafar. If you dislike the books, then the first time he sees and senses him is on the Death Star. It works either way.

19. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    But the book does show that Obi-Wan sees on the screen Vader in the black armor?

20. Mos_Eisley

Mos_Eisley Jedi Youngling star 3

May 23, 2004
    Given the huge ROTS advertising push with Vader's image, I'm sure they do.:p

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yes, Obi-wan sees Vader wearing black armor on the holoscreen. I don't own the book, having gotten it from the library. But he sees the footage like in a news report of Darth Vader.

It's just like watching the local news when they show footage of something and the newscaster is talking about what they see and what they know. Obi-wan sees and hears everything. He does not sense Vader through the Force.

22. JFuchs77

JFuchs77 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Both Obi-Wan and Yoda do know about Darth Vader at exactly the end of the movie because they sense this through the force.

23. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    That's really cool. I'll see if the library has a copy available. Can you imagine what Obi-Wan's thinking at that moment?

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    No proof. They're refering to Sidious and whoever he will find to replace Vader. Yoda was talking to Qui-gon when we first see him on Polis Massa.

25. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    So I suppose JEJ says, "This is HNN."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.