main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC At the FILMS

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SithLord-Mixo, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    I would like to know the %s over the past 5 years of box office films that were remakes compared to originals

2. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    24.6% :-B

I might be guessing though. [face_liarliar]

3. oldbenk31

oldbenk31 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    I would agree with that. Remakes always fall short of the originals.

4. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    At the moment most short falls come from trying to pepper a much more diluted story from the original with modern effects. The originals were classic without sich effects and relied more on story and composition alone.

5. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    4 sure.

Movies today have way to much "flash" and too little "meat" on their bones.

6. oldbenk31

Feb 27, 2003
    I miss the movies of my youth-original and had a great story and just didnt rely on big names or big effects.

7. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    I don't know, I reckon most movies are the same as they always were, we're just dealing with audiences (not specific people, but wide general audiences) who like to be wowed, rather than intrigued, I guess.

Anyway: Went to the preview of HellBoy 2: The Golden Army on Monday night! I'd give it about 8.5/10. It's funny, actiony and has a decent story with all the characters I like from the comics. Ron Perlman was cool. Seth MacFarlane (of 'Family Guy' ... uh, "fame") voiced one of the characters (Krauss - one of my favs) and did very well capturing the attitudes. It's got a nice, irreverant actiony feel to it. Beautiful, rich backgrounds. Lots of detail. And the SFX wasn't too SFXy, if you catch my meaning.

Also: there was a preview screening for the Clone Wars cartoon going on while we were lining up with a few of LVFF's crowd dressed up as storm troopers. Was anyone there for that?

8. oldbenk31

Feb 27, 2003
    Im glad I fall in to the category of either-i like a good mind blowing movie and I also like an occasional movie that makes you think or makes you see things differently. I saw Hellboy 2-I thought it was better than the first one and I liked that one. I would give it about the same rating.

9. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    THEY ANNOUNCED A POSSIBLE REMAKE OF GHOSTBUSTERS!!!!NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. oldbenk31

Feb 27, 2003
    Im torn on the new ghostbusters thing-it will never be as good as the first one but I really want to see them back together again no matter how much older they are-they had a great chemistry together.

11. oldbenk31

Feb 27, 2003
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/loserclerk/Ghostbusters_3.jpg]

heres an image for you

12. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    A remake will be with a all new cast though! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    I'll personally organise a hunting band to go and garrot whichever idiot made that decision if it is confirmed.

You CANNOT remake some movies. It's like beating up the Dalai Lama or Mother Theresa. You just don't go there.

(NB. Analogy may induldge in some hyperbole. Not to be taken with drugs, alcohol or too much pepper. Use only as directed. If symptoms persist, PM your CR)

14. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Translation: Spam Mixo's PM box? [face_mischief]

15. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Here's one to watch....already out on DVD.

The Invasion Nicole Kidman & Daniel Craig
    Based on the book "Invasion of the body snatchers"

Has a few holes and some "so so" acting from the supporting casr, but Nicole & Daniel and pretty good.
    Worth a look anyway.

16. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Ohh I watched that on the plane! I loved it. Not as good as the original but it scared the crap out of me in my no-sleep state, especially seeing as they spend so much time not sleeping. Loved the camera effects too.

RE: Ghostbusters. Lame.

17. oldbenk31

Feb 27, 2003
    I have been wanting to see that "the invasion", i will try and watch that soon. I really cant wait to see "Australia" with Nicole in it. I really dont care if that sounds lame but I like every film Nicole and Jack have been in seperately. The camera work I have seen in the trailer looks amazing too.

18. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    I just watched "DIRTY HARRY". I had forgotten such a great and powerful film that it is. Great pacing, great story and great HARRY! Forget Harry Potter...get dirty....Dirty Harry!

19. oldbenk31

Feb 27, 2003
    You cant beat the line "Go ahead punk make my day"

20. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
  21. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    [image=http://www.fascinationst.com/productImages/sku2353.jpg]

22. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    If you want to see a film that will "inspire" you...checkout "The Astronaut Farmer" with Billy-Bob Thornton and Bruce Willis.

It's not a ground breaking film, but everyone of my customers that has seen it has agreed that it inspired them to get out and finish some of their forgotten projects.....well worth a look.

23. oldbenk31

Feb 27, 2003
    Watched that on a flight overseas (astronauts farmer)-really motivated stuff I would have to agree.

24. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    I hope the CG Astroboy flick is made well.

25. oldbenk31

Feb 27, 2003
    I havent heard of that one-but i hope the dragonball z movie doesnt stink. Ive also heard and seen good things about the GI Joe:The rise of Cobra.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.