main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    This is the funniest thing ever. I think Woodley's actually a really good actress & I really want to see her cut loose from these stupid movies. So, it would amuse me greatly if she just spent the whole press tour badmouthing everything about them. Hell, Miles Teller already said working on them was killing his soul or something like that. But, young actors gotta eat, I guess. I don't think Woodley or Teller either one is still rollin' in that sweet, sweet Spectacular Now money.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Woodley managed to make the first two flicks more watchable than they would be, and I thought the action-bent of the second flick gave it a pass, but that third movie ... yikes.

However, I did enjoy the single scene in the third flick with Miles Teller and Jeff Daniels trying to out-smarm each other, that was kind of amazing. Watching two titans of smarminess go head to head for about a minute.

-Jedi Joe- and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  3. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
  4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  5. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I loved that. I have to disagree with the example used with Civil War though. That battle was all character. They did not dismiss their motivations for the action. None of them wanted to be there but had to compromise.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  7. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    That trailer looks amazing and doesn't look like it will be a disappointment like Jodie Foster's Contact or this year's Independence Day: Resurgence.

9. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

Does look good. The only thing that worries me is that it's going to get to BIG. Seeing those choppers firing at one of the things in the trailer just really made me annoyed. I like the idea of a movie about a women trying to communicate with aliens, and maybe the big actions stuff isn't the big, but man it just makes me feel that it could take so much away from the film.

Say what you will about Interstellar, which I personally have grown to love, it's EPIC, but not over blown. The visuals are Epic. The way it's shot is all epic. The plot however is fairly small. Just a bunch of people looking for a new planet for humanity since the one they have is screwed. The big bad that results in the main action is about a dude who goes a little crazy.

It looks really good, but I just hope the film is a little less overblown then what thinking it will be.

I loved Enemy. I loved Sicario. So I have high hopes for this.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That's... a heck of a broad Sci-Fi scale to compare it to.

BigAl6ft6 and tom like this.
  11. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Contact was awful. And no its not because of Foster.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It may have had an underwhelming finale but awful? That's a stretch.

13. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    The trailers for Arrival look fantastic. I'm definitely intrigued :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Well that giant interstellar slingshot that went nowhere was lame.

15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It went somewhere as it recorded 18 hours of static...

The2ndQuest likes this.
  16. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Oh yeah. Guess those aliens missed that 1.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wha wha wha? Contact was pretty darn good even though the alien was her dad or something.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  18. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Watched Hell or High Water today, damn good by the way, and it made me think on how much I love Westerns. Especially those about the dieing of the Wester Hero's and the passing of the Wild West. Movies like Shane, Unforgiven, Wild Bunch, are great examples. My personal favorite, and probably still one of my top favorite movies is ONCE UPON A TIME IN The WEST.

I remember watching it for the first time. I had pretty much just started my task of attempting to start watching all the great classic, cult classic, popular, etc movies. I started with Casablanca, and then shifted right into Leone(Couple non Dollars Clint Eastwood Westerns may have preceded them). The Dollars movies were great, and I was always wondering if the next would out do the other. For a few Dollar More, is probably still my favorite, though I'll concede that G,B, and U is probably the best and most well crafted. Just to note that there are 3 main characters in that film, but I consider the 4th main character to be the Civil War itself.

So next comes OUATITW, and I was wondering if this would be better than those? So my mind set is already set for watching the film. I'm looking for this to be better than the Dollars Trilogy. Great score. Interesting story. Great characters. Love Fonda. But none of that made me think it was better. Some awesome scenes like the one in the little outpost in the middle of nowhere where Cheyenne meets Harmonica. Great visuals. Still I'm looking for the moment that was going to make me say this was the often considered Masterpiece. It hit me that even though I found the movie great, if very slow, that it would all depend on how the movie ended, how the film brought it all together, that was going to dictate my final feelings on the movie.

Then it finally happened. The moment I was looking for. Now obviously this is my own personal thing. Cheyenne returns to the Jills home. While he's cleaning up Jill ask Cheyenne what Harmonica is doing sitting on the fence?

"He's whittling on a piece of wood. I have a feeling when he stops whittling, something's going to happen."

That moment when the scene changes, you hear Morricone's score, and see Frank riding up to confront Harmonica was that moment. The moment I was looking for. Just the idea of the villain coming to accept his fate like that had be sitting up at full attention. He slowly rides up to Harmonica, dismounts....

It had to be done that way I think. It had to be Frank that came to Harmonica. I think the film in many ways had to build to that moment, because in some ways you could argue that Frank is the main character of the film. He's the one that changes, he's the one that sets it all in motion. He starts the film as an old Gunslinger, a hero of the old west, who is attempting to change with the times. Only to find out that in the end, there is no change for him. He is a product of the past, and must accept his fate.

That moment when he says, "Just a man" made it sink in even deeper for me.

Then of course you have the Awesome duel, and a great finish to the film. But it was those moments before the duel that set in stone my love for the film, and why I consider it one of my favorites.

Was looking for a movie to watch tonite, think I found it.

Rogue1-and-a-half and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  20. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    so anyone else looking forward to bad santa 2? im sure it will be terrible but looking forward to the laughs. grew up loving the first one

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I found the first one somewhat amusing but I didn't find it hilarious as other has claimed to have found it. Still, I'll probably check it out eventually.

22. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    RIP Gene!!!

23. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    He is one w/ the Force.

24. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    For those of you who like watching Youtube shows about movie news and reviews, John Campea is coming back to Collider Movie Talk.

25. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    That was quick. He's been gone maybe, what, 3 months?