main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    just want to get my commentary about all 2017 movies out of the way:

Logan"Olderine"
    Kong Island"not even on the back of an airplane seat"
    Beauty/Beast"technically speaking the live action adaptation of the Broadway musical adaptation of the animated feature film adaptation of the Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve fairy tale"
    CHIPS"why?"
    Life"Species in Space"
    Ghost in the Shell"Cloud Atlas with Scarlett Johansson in the Tom Hanks role"
    Fate of the Furious "The Chinese will love it"
    Guardians of the Galaxy "we've entered a new era of Groot merchandise"
    King Arthur"The Once and Future Flop"
    Alien: Covenant"at least it's not directed by Paul WS Anderson"
    Baywatch"it's a farce so that makes it ok to ogle"
    Pirates of the Caribbean "like a taxpayer funded Johnny Depp financial bailout, only not as much fun"
    Wonder Woman"I have a great story from a friend who met Chris Pine while he was filming this in Alaska"
    The Mummy"Tom Cruise is Abbott, Sofia Boutella is Costello"
    Cars 3"Paul Newman is still dead. I don't see the point"
    Transformers "please make it stop"
    Despicable Me 3"nothing anyone can say or do to keep this from making money"
    Spider-Man"you know in your heart this movie is going to be terrible"
    Planet of the Apes "I realize now this franchise is never going away"
    Dunkirk"I've said a lot of bad things about Nolan, but at least he's not a sequel whore"
    Valerian and the whatever"Will be plowed under by Dunkirk"
    The Dark Tower"don't get the appeal, know it has a following. Have no beef with King fans"
    Tulip FeverThis looks like genuine fun.
    It "one of the worst King novels made into a terrible miniseries now finally coming to the big screen. But I have no beef with King fans."
    Blade Runner 2049 whenever Harrison Ford does a nostalgia career retrospective victory lap, a plane crashes
    2017 Cloverfield Movie"Cloverfield is a brand because JJ Abrams says so. don't even argue."
    Thor sequel"he tries so hard to be interesting. Everybody wants him to be interesting. Millions of fans trying to will him to be interesting."
    Justice League"Root Canal: the Movie"
    Murder on the Orient Express"This one gets a pass because it pushes my nostalgia buttons if not yours. Plus Daisy Ridley."
    The Last Jedi "Luke is Back. Presumably for more than 15 seconds."
    Jumanji"was it ever really that good an idea?"
    The Six Billion Dollar Man"Nostalgia Button - won't be surprised if this one moves out of the way of Star Wars"
    Pitch Perfect 3"the Star Wars counterprogramming minihit of 2017"

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  3. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
  4. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  5. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  6. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    http://variety.com/2017/film/news/avatar-2-delayed-sequels-james-cameron-1202006303/

Am I the only one who wonders if these films will ever be made? I half jokingly think Cameron goes insane, if he hasn't already, making these films and they end up in development hell.

Maybe Cameron made that Three Gorges Damn reference because the cost of making these sequels with delays and everything might start to rival that at some point.

7. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Screen Crush has referred to it as Cameron's Xanadu.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What was the biggest domestic flop of 2016? Warcraft? Assassins Creed? Ben Hur? Etc.?

9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    in terms of return on production and marketing costs?

BFG, Gods of Egypt didn't even clear half their production/marketing costs for their studios. Ben Hur is a good candidate, but they may have cut their losses and abandoned efforts to market it. Lots of movies there at that 1x budget worldwide gross mark.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I don't think there were many flops in terms of expectations by fans. I mean, Ghostbusters was a remake that no asked for so it's not a surprised when it flopped. Same with Alice Through the Looking Glass and Allegiant But if I were name a few, I'd say Warcraft, Assassins Creed and X-Men: Apocalypse were flops with fans.

11. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    so the triple crown of flopping is flopping against high fan expectations, flopping with critics, and failing to turn a profit. That cuts out a lot of movies that never had any audience interest, like Gods of Egypt.

BFG flopped financially and against expectations of anything Spielberg directs, but got ok reviews.

12. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    I don't understand why Cameron waste his time with these movies. He could have made another billion dollar movie by now.

Akira Kurosawa's final screenplay "Masque of the Red Death" will soon be made into a film. Yay!!!

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Assassins Creed wasn't that good, but it wasn't the ****show a lot of people, critics & audience members alike, said it was.

14. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  15. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    You'll finally be able to watch Orson Welles last film on Netflix.

"The Other Side of the Wind"

:)

16. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Wouldn't mind prequels if done right. Just need a blue pill to forget the prequels

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  20. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Just got out of the new Kong movie. I really enjoyed it, a lot more than I thought I would, even. I liked the pacing, and the action. It was just the perfect length, accomplished to set out what it was supposed to do, and didn't overstay its welcome. Also, it was apparently 'bring your retired dad to the movies' day or something. There was three other father/offspring couples in the auditorium. My Dad and I always enjoyed a good creature feature, and this is one hell of a monster mash.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

How about that post credits scene? That gave me a thrill.

CT1138 likes this.
  22. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Kong was better then it had any right to be. I enjoyed it. Not mind blowing, but fun.

Stinger was cool.

23. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

Regardless of opinions on the quality of the sequels, THE MATRIX was the perfect movie that showcased why something doesn't always need a sequel.

24. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I heard its a reboot.

Now I feel old as hell.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003