main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    nice to see a woman win best director, and what sounds like a return to form for sofia.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I am really looking forward to The Beguiled. I am super excited to see The Florida Project based purely on Sean Baker's last movie, Tangerine, which was just astoundingly great. The last film the Safdie brothers did was a harrowing, plotless movie that followed a recovering heroin addict playing herself back when she was a heroin addict; I am puzzled and befuddled by the news that the Safdie's new film is a heist comedy starring Robert Pattinson - probably gonna check that out, just for kicks. And I still have that Blu-Ray set of the original Top of the Lake series around here somewhere, but I still haven't watched it. Weird that Cannes will except the new season of that show as a movie, but isn't sure about Netflix.

3. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016

When I first heard of this movie, I immediately thought ,feels like the kind of movie you would play an Imagine Dragons song over. I mean honestly, who the hell thought that song fits this trailer whatsoever. Terrible decision there.

Aside from that, movie does look pretty good. Quite the talented cast.

4. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Saw BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS last week. I swear it's the perfect companion to Boogie Nights.

5. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Hmm Civil War drama directed by Sofia Coppola and starring Nicole Kidman. Have to watch out for that one.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    My new "never watch trailers" policy was not challenged at all by The Last Jedi trailer; I haven't seen it & I'm fine. But I am desperately fighting the temptation to watch that Murder on the Orient Express trailer.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I have adopted somewhat of a similar policy but allowance for teasers and the first full trailer. After that, I try to avoid seeing any more footage, whether it be TV spots, featurettes or behind the scenes material. I think it really helped for the most part with Logan and Wonder Woman.

I did see the Murder on the Orient Express trailer, and I don't feel it gave any plot details away; just character introductions and revealing there has been a murder on the train.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Still need to see the original with Albert Finney. I love the hell out of the book.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The Sidney Lumet one is great fun. Plus, besides Albert Finney it's got Sean Connery, Ingrid Bergman, Michael York, Lauren Bacall, Vanessa Redgrave, Anthony Perkins, and more; one helluva cast.

11. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    So I finally saw the VOID:

I'm neutral on it I guess. Maybe. IT wasn't bad, but it wasn't mind blowing like the hype train was having you believe. I mean **** damn a lot of this film felt like they were making it up as they were going. The Monster designs were cool, and I like weird stuff, and this was full of weird. Still, it didn't make a complete whole of what I felt would have been a good movie. If you want to use the excuse that it hearkens back to those low quality B movies, fine. I still don't know why some of the characters were doing what they were doing. Weird **** happens with cool monsters and then It kinda ends. I can't say I'm disappointed entirely by it. I wanted to see weird cool practical effect monsters and I got that, even though it's not as many as you'd think. It's nicely gory.

I saw a lot more inspiration from HellRAISER than THE THING.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, the kinda dumb thing is I've read the book and seen the Finney version. Barring some sort of weird thing where they change the ending, I basically can't be spoiled, but I'm still avoiding the trailer. :p

I still haven't written up my review of it, but I basically agree with you, except for maybe being a bit more negative than you on the whole. I thought basically the last half hour or so was just way too dragged out and I found the plot with the older guy/younger guy to just be annoying. But it had a really great first half hour and I really liked the main character; he's basically a total jerk and not apologetic about it and I liked that. The moment when he sees the first guy in a hood and just stands up from his car is like "Hey." That's a great moment. You know, it wasn't a waste of time exactly, but I wouldn't recommend it.

DarthMane2 likes this.
  13. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Gilliam actually finished filming "THE MAN WHO KILLED DON QUIXOTE."

I wonder if this is a good thing, or if this means the world is really about to END?

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I thought the world didn't actually end until George RR Martin actually finished A Song of Fire and Ice book series?

PCCViking and DarthMane2 like this.
  15. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    If that's the case then we should be fine.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    In other words, the world is never going to end? :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

Exactly!

PCCViking likes this.
  18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Regarding the Song of Ice & Fire series...

These are the books that never end
    They keep going on and on my friend
    Martin started writing them, not knowing what to do
    And we'll keep on waiting because we know it's true
    That these are the books that never end...

:p

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    If I had to rank sports Movies,
    61*
    Field Of Dreams
    The Sand Lot
    Seabiscuit
    Rudy
    42*

20. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Not the biggest fan of Sports movies, but If I had to put down some I enjoyed...

Rudy
    Hoosiers
    Field of Dreams
    Major League
    Remember The Titans

Guidman likes this.
  21. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    DarthMane2 Those are all classics

A League of Their Own
    Rush
    Hoop Dreams (probably one of the best documentaries of all time)

DarthMane2 and Leoluca Randisi like this.
  22. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

Rush was really good Directed by Ron Howard!
    Hoop Dreams was really good to!

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Al Pacino is going to be playing Joe Paterno in a movie on the Penn State scandal.

24. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    I wonder who they will get to play his POS son Jay.

25. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

Will check this out Friday, I think.