main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So in the last 5 months 3 movies I really dig, Alien: Covenant, Logan Lucky and Kingsman: The Golden Circle all used John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Roads". And not really just randomly on the soundtrack but actual plot-related stuff where characters were singing it too. Fascinating!

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I broke my trailer rule to watch the Tomb Raider trailer. I'm just . . . you know, whatever. I'm down for a film series that really nails the new, less overly sexualized Lara, but I was also down for a cinematic treatment of the mythos of Assassin's Creed and we all know how that turned out. I love Alicia Vikander, but I can't help but feel she is maybe not quite right for the role. She's a little small, I think. Thin, I mean. I'm not talking about like bigger breasts or anything like that. I just feel like Lara, particularly the modern take on her, should be a little more muscled, like a nice fighting weight.

I seem to recall Daisy Ridley's name being thrown around as a possible Lara Croft and I thought at the time that she was kind of the type I'd like to see. And that was before all the deadlifts and lightsaber drill gifs. I feel like it would be believable that Daisy Ridley as she is now could kick your ass. I'm not sure I buy that about Vikander; she's just so . . . small. Ridley, of course, has plenty going on and she's a little young, I think. Of course, this is kind of an origin story, looks like, so maybe younger would be okay. But regardless, I think you get where I'm going by comparing the body types of Vikander & Ridley.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

Tone actually looks lighter than the 2013 reboot, which was borderline survival horror and featured, among other things, a sequence where Lara had to wade through a literal river of blood.

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000

I'm totally in agreement about the amazingness of the Isle of Dogs trailer. I was really impressed by the visuals, but the story of a boy trying to find his dog with the help of the other dogs, set in this canine flu epidemic in Japan makes it all the more intriguing and a must watch for me. So much so, that I'll probably see this in a theater rather than wait for home video.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    It' Sequel Gets September 2019 Release Date

I'm glad that the studio did not move the sequel to It into the heart of summer blockbuster season and many studios typically do when they get a box office and critical hit.

I really want Amy Addams to play the adult version of Beverly Marsh.

7. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It part two is going to be terrible. Quirky kids fighting toothy clown is what makes It fun. Teen idol Finn Wolfhard is what audiences want to see, not some middle age C lister who's hardly wolfing and couldn't wolf even if he tried.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Not if Pennywise turns into this clown:

[​IMG]

You know how many adults are afraid of that? And that clown can totally divide the Losers Club.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Blade Runner 2049 is getting early high praise. And not of the "awesome" or great graphics kind.

Still don't trust early word, but so far so good.

soitscometothis and Rylo Ken like this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I've only seen Arrival, but just going by that I've had a good feeling about Villeneuve helming Blade Runner 2049. And Baby Goose is a pretty versatile actor, so I'm sure he'll do well enough to carry the film.

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I've given every Villeneuve film I've seen so far four stars; and there's some variety too in terms of genres he plays with. I'm hoping Blade Runner doesn't break the streak. I've carefully avoided the trailers. I've heard some dialogue bits from being in the theater, but not enough to really reveal anything about the plot and I've avoided being spoiled for any of the visuals or settings. This whole "no trailer" thing is awesome, you guys.

Also, I watched the Tomb Raider trailer (lol) and was mixed on it, but it played on the big screen last time I went to the theater and Vikander is more convincing on the big screen than she was on my computer screen as Lara. Take that for what it is.

12. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Donnie Yen's new movie Chasing the Dragon actually looks good.

I've seen Andy Lau's earlier versions of Lee Rock so it's pretty cool to see him reprise that role over 25 years later.

Unforutnately, I have to wait to rent because the sole AMC it's playing in here is gross. I wish other theaters would step up and show Chinese releases besides this particular AMC.

13. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    hey Mr. no trailer Rogue1-and-a-half - there's a new teaser out for Annihilation. Alex Garland (Ex Machina) as director and scriptwriter for the adaptation of Jeff VanderMeer's novel with the ancillary Star Wars cred of actors Oscar Isaac and Natalie Portman make it potentially the most interesting sci fi movie of 2018.

I'm more interested in Annihilation than the Blade Runner sequel, but I'm excited that the early press about Blade Runner is so positive.

We have to be happy about directors like Garland and Villeneuve becoming the new masters of sci fi cinema not to mention the aging Spielberg still trying to leave a mark with something like Ready Player One. Ridley Scott, you need to get out of the game.

A good, original sci fi movie is as rare as a restrained and presidential Trump tweet.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

Got some Tarkovsky vibes

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Rylo Ken like this.
  15. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Today in a bizarre moment of serendipity, I found out that a favorite childhood book "A House With a Clock in its Walls," which I also read aloud to both my kids, is being adapted into a motion picture starring Jack Black, Cate Blanchett, directed by Eli Roth, produced by Amblin Entertainment.

I'm surprised it took so long to get this adaptation into production, particularly after Harry Potter, but the period piece nostalgia successes of It and Stranger Things make the movie more timely than ever. Also, the book is franchise-ready. The original author wrote a successful sequel and, after his death, another author has written 9 more sequels. If the first one flies, it's a potential goldmine.

There are a couple of obstacles to that master plan, if that's the plan. The obvious one is there's a good chance you've never heard of this book. My mother was an elementary school librarian, and so I've heard of every children's book written between, say, Wonderful Wizard of Oz and The Indian in the Cupboard, but you may not have been so, um, lucky. Obstacle 2: Eli Roth.

This Victorian mansion in Georgia will serve as exterior location for Jonathan Barnavelt's house

[​IMG]

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I just heard about Annihilation today actually. I'm very intrigued; very good cast and I'm down for Garland after Ex Machina.

Cate Blanchett & Eli Roth is a crazy pairing. I basically figured I'd never see another Eli Roth movie, but the idea of him working with Blanchett has me really curious.

17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    If she's playing Florence Zimmerman it's an interesting role and an interesting casting choice.

18. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Danny Elfman is bringing back the John Williams Superman theme for Justice League....with a twist. Didn't read what the twist was.

Marking out though!!!

BigAl6ft6, Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  19. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Danny Elfman is bringing back the John Williams Superman theme for Justice League....with a twist. Didn't read what the twist was.

Marking out though!!!

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Just got back from Kogonada's Columbus, an indie drama starring John Cho and Haley Lu Richardson that's been getting a lot of praise. It's . . . amazing. It's just this slow, quiet drama that feels intimate and beautiful and sincere. I've thought Richardson was fine in some of her previous roles (she was the second female lead in both Edge of Seventeen & Split), but she's tremendous; first Jennifer Lawrence, then Brie Larson . . . Richardson is the next young indie actress to watch. John Cho is really good too; he's very minimal and not at all typical. It's just super good; it's probably not in any theaters where you are. I went to the very last showing at my local arthouse, so it's leaving even the small theaters that had it to begin with. But if you can still see it, go now. It's a masterpiece.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    John Cho is always good in anything, really, "Better Luck Tomorrow" is one of my favs. Cripes he made "MILF" a catchphrase cuz he sold it so well (his reappearance in American Wedding is fantastic as well). He has one of my favourite lines / shots in "Star Trek Beyond" as well, when Kirk asks him if he can fly the Franklin and slow-Fast and Furious style push in on Cho as Sulu who goes "You are kidding me, sir?" I'm seriously considering watching all of Selfie just cuz it's him and Karren Gillan

22. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    The girl is ripped

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    There will be lyrics and a curtain call with the whole league singing the theme.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm glad the Groundhog Day genre has finally reached full maturity. We've had alien invasion groundhog day and teen drama groundhog day (Before I Fall) and now sorority slasher horror groundhog day. Ive seen all of them and so far they've been excellent. I think next should be a groundhog day Western and then a Die Hard Groundhog Day mashup. Spy thriller groundhog day would be good not to mention zombie apocalypse groundhog day.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    On Netflix UK, Spectre (2015) and Fantastic Four (2015) are rated at 5 stars, whilst All About Eve (1950) the viewers have rated at 2.5 stars. I just...

Rogue1-and-a-half and BigAl6ft6 like this.