main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    God Resurrection sucked. Took the franchise straight to mindless slasher territory. At least the previous films had the continuity and mythology behind it all.

[​IMG]

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, I thought the 2018 Halloween was going to pick up right after Halloween II. Is it actually the original it follows directly? That would be better, I think. Halloween II has a lot of defenders and I like the idea of just literally picking right up with Halloween. So many of these movies end with the main survivor being put in an ambulance that I love the idea of Halloween II being like, "Um, okay, so you're in an ambulance. That just means you're going to a HOSPITAL which is literally the SCARIEST PLACE ON THE PLANET." But I really think it's a whiff, way gorier, way less atmospheric. I'm a Halloween purist; it's the first one for me and none of the sequels (not that I've even seen all of them, but I just mean that I don't include II in my canon, the way most people do),

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Last year they were initially saying it would just be I/II for H2018 but the other week they started saying it would ignore all the sequels.

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen it, but didn’t II introduce the sister aspect? If so, that could change things considerably.

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000

The trailer looks great and Margot Robbie looks like she has disappeared into the role. I'm looking forward to this movie.

5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Halloween begins and ends with the original film for me too. Halloween II is forever a [face_phbbbbt] in my memory because my 8th grade history teacher forced us to watch it and I was still scared stupid of horror then. Needless to say, I had nightmares for days and that's probably why I hate hospitals.

As far as the 2018 Halloween, how are they going to explain the time jump if the sequels do not exist? Michael vanishes for decades... and all of a sudden he comes back? That would kind of work if they stuck with the supernatural element of the novel where he was possessed by the spirit of some Celtic person or entity. Wasn't this also in the TV version of Halloween...(it's been decades since I've seen and read those.)

Sith_Sensei__Prime - Ah, another dark sports satire that Sebastian Stan is in. I may rent for him (despite that mustache.) Hope you like it.

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Why in the world did you watch Halloween II in an 8th grade history class?

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

:confused: Got me. My Junior High School teachers were strange. I wouldn't be surprised to learn if a few of them were on drugs.

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Tyler Perry's Throne of Blood.

9. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    so is ddl not really retiring or did he shoot this before the announcement?

11. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    He intends for this to be his last film.

tom likes this.
  12. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  13. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I heard he was gonna become a cobbler , unless that was a load of cobblers .

15. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012

He did that the last time he retired. No idea what he's going to do now.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He’s pursuing dressmaking following his preparation for this film.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Please tell me he's going to have a Joaquin Phoenix-esque rap career.

Master_Lok and tom like this.
  18. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I doubt he's done for good. The right type of role he loves will come around again for him eventually.

19. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Just saw Blade Runner 2049 - unexpectedly excellent. I can now say I enjoy a film that stars Ryan Gosling.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  21. Rudy Redlin

Rudy Redlin Jedi Knight

Feb 12, 2013
    Phantom Thread looks sooo dope. Was expecting something more exuberant but the actual thing looks so much better.

22. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
  23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    That seems like a terrible idea. Sounds like its just an excuse to gouge people for blockbusters.

Regal is a pretty trashy chain in my opinion. We have a regal here that I once had a friend refer to as "the theater where you go to get murdered" and it was hard to disagree. It just has this awful atmosphere and the chairs are dirty and the carpet is ripped and there are stains on the walls. We have a dollar theater in town that is way nicer and the Regal is a full price theater. I far prefer both Cinemark and AMC.

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I could see it being a good idea to discount smaller and less successful films, try to get people in the theaters. But upping the price for blockbusters, yeah, that’s just going to come off as a gouge. I can’t see that being successful.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that’s an awful idea. If people aren’t showing up to your movie, charging them more won’t incentivize them. Not to mention it throws BO performance comparisons out the window at that point.

Regal isn’t a terrible chain- there’s one by me that isn’t so hot yet there’s a second that’s pretty upscale. They’re also the chain most likely to participate in special screening events like Fathom stuff.

Their 4DX theaters are an interesting experiment too- even if I wouldn’t recommend them for most films (the air guns going off in your ear for blaster bolts in Rogue One was hells annoying/distracting, though the gliding motion seats during flight and establishing shots were pretty cool).