main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Could be seeing Lethal Weapon 5.

2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
  3. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    How much are you guys paying for your movie tickets right now? Here in new Zealand it's $22.50 ($15.50 USD), which I think is insane. Thanks to my mobile phone company I can get them for $14.50 ($10 USD) as a deal, which I really need to start doing more often.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    My last ticket, which was for a 2D showing of Thor:Ragnarok, cost £10.50 iirc.

5. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
    Here in Australia, in two different cinemas for each film:

-$10 for Rogue One

-$11.50 for Dunkirk (per viewing, to total a cool $57.50)

Both were in 2D

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    So the UK one is similar to ours then, but Australia seems cheap. That's around half price and you're just across the ditch!

7. DarthCricketer

Feb 18, 2016
    I do vaguely recall more expensive prices in the past, but I don't actually remember what they were. It might depend on what cinema or cinema chain you go to, and also that I don't live in the biggest, but not the smallest either, of town centres. I have thought the prices cheap before.

8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I've only been to the cinema 3 times (I think) this year , once prices hit £10+ it was just too much , plus there's the matter of folk pissing about on their smart phones , they seem to think as long as they're not talking its ok but the damn phone screens going on and off is very annoying .

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It depends on the theater and location for me. I haven’t done every type of showing at every theater near me (central New Jersey), but in the last year or so (and prices may have increased slightly over the course of that period of time) for full price admission on a weekend evening:

Local Reading Cinemas 2D: $12.75
    Local Reading Cinemas 3D: $15.75
    Local AMC #1 IMAX 2D: $15.49
    Local AMC #1 IMAX 3D: $17.64
    Local AMC #2 Dine-In 3D: $15.49
    Local Regal #1 2D: $9.59
    NYC Regal E-Walk 2D: $16.25
    NYC Regal E-Walk 4D: $28.75
    NYC Lincoln Square IMAX 3D: $26.29

(and obviously those values don’t figure in Fandango or online surcharges on the occasions I need to use them or the $30+ for a train ticket into NYC; also special rereleases like T2-3D, GITS, ST2 & CEOTK were up to half the price of regular releases).

There’s also a second Regal and an independent chain local to me but I don’t go to them very often unless I’m desperate for a certain showtime, but they tend to be cheaper than all of the others (the independent one in particular is cheaper, but it has no center seats and is too far away [20 min] without offering any premium features to offset it [like the local IMAX which is only 20-25 min away, so if I’m going to drive that far to see a movie I want to make sure the experience is worth it]).

Although that Reading one is undergoing renovation to supposedly add food & liquor options to be more upscale to compete with the Dine-In theater, so I suspect their prices will increase once that launches (hopefully they won’t ruin the experience by allowing people to order/have servers take orders during the film like the AMC Dine-In does. I HATE that. Most of the time I just want to go to a movie theater, ya know? The only reason to go to the Dine-In now is because they still do evening 3D showings more frequently whereas Reading has sadly scaled back on them).

10. DarthCricketer

Feb 18, 2016
    Right, so under current conversion rates, my prices mentioned previously are:

-$7.60 US (A$10.00) at one cinema
    -$8.84 US (A$11.50) at the other

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I think dynamic/demand pricing will price out a good amount of families. A family of four could conceivably cost around $90-$100 for a film, which does not include a trip to the concession stand (which theaters make their money). Higher prices for popular films is not a way to attract movie goers and will most likely turn them away.

As for movie ticket prices in my neighborhood... I typically either go to an IMax screening or lounge/recliner seating theater.
    IMax = $21.49;
    Lounge/Recliner seats = $17.50.

12. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    We'll be hearing some of the Batman 89 theme in Justice League too. :)

13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I am right there with you. Seeing how much regular tickets are these days (and not including IMAX which we capitulated on), it's

2D AMC: $16.95
    2D Regal: over $17.

IMAX 2D is $20 and change, plus the online surcharge of $2 per ticket at IMAX 34th.

Both friends had to bail on seeing Thor this week at the times we were supposed to go, so for me, Thor wound up being one IMAX showing. Friend is paying $45 for two tickets for an IMAX 2D movie and nothing else. :eek: I might treat IMAX friend to a matinee since I have credit at Fandango.

I haven't been to a movie theatre that has dine in yet, but honestly that sounds like a royal pain in the bottom. If I was a big movie fan I'd consider Movie Pass once I am employed again, but given the price points and such, I think this is my last year seeing current films at movie theaters. Now revivals? If they're in 35mm and a nice theatre, yes.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    If I was Danny Elfman, I'd do the same thing too. I wish he'd do the same with John Williams' Superman theme, instead of rearranging it to fit the film.

15. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
  16. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Got to be the odd man out on Thor: Ragnarok. Really good, but doesn't hit great status for me.

Everything on Planet Hulk was great. Everything on Asgard was not. That part of the film was by the numbers Marvel. Bold would have been just Thor and Loki having an adventure on Planet Hulk.

A great score the film has, but you can barely hear it.

And there's little emotional core to this film. It wants you to care about events and certain characters, but never gets the right build to do so.

I said it was really good. Very funny. Goldblum is excellent. Blanchet is excellent for a very bland character. Just like Mads in Dr. Strange.

Not great. Above the worst, but just misses the best.

Warriors 3 going out like that was not shocking. It was lazy, and showed the first signs of the failure at connecting emotionally

17. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    [​IMG]

The cut scene of Bruce the Shark eating Alex Kitner from Jaws.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  18. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    [​IMG]

The cut scene of Bruce the Shark eating Alex Kitner from Jaws.

19. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Not cut. It's in the film. It was just never intended to look the way it does to us in that photo.

20. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Interesting. Never noticed.

21. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Of course it's "cut" in the sense that this photo shows us what isn't seen in the edited version of the scene, i.e. big gaping jaws. But it's necessary to shoot it that way (as best they could) in order to present the carnage as intended. That is, more subliminally "Did you see that?". So that a full size shark appearing starkly in front of every one on the beach wouldn't have the audience wondering why they are so blase about an absolute monster prowling around their waters.

The real cut scene is Michael Brody being saved by the pond victim. Unfortunately, that one was never completed as an intact scene. It was decided that the end result was going to be too graphic and not to bother shooting necessary inserts. IIRC.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The photo seems more like they were just testing out ideas for the movie poster, heh.

23. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  24. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  25. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014