main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Pentagon Papers docudrama!

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So, do you like reshoots? How about Christopher Plummer reshoots to replace Kevin Spacey in All the Money in the World. And, here's the kicker, Scott is STILL aiming to make the Dec 22nd release date!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-replace-kevin-spacey-all-money-world-1056450

The movie, which was pulled as the closing night screening of AFI Fest at Scott's insistence, is scheduled to hit theaters on Dec. 22 via Sony's Tristar. As of now, the release date remains unchanged despite the re-shoots but insiders say that if anyone can pull off re-shoots and still make the holiday release date, it's Scott.
    Insiders tell The Hollywood Reporter that Scott made the decision unilaterally and only notified Sony of his decision late Wednesday afternoon. Plummer was originally the first choice for the role, but top studio executives wanted a bigger name.
    Spacey shot a total of eight days and many of his scenes featured just him. Mark Wahlberg and Michelle Williams also star in the feature, as J. Paul Getty's lawyer and daughter, and the two are expected to come back for re-shoots.

The makeup job on Spacey in the trailer looked awful so hopefully they just have Plummer be Plummer

Heck, watch the trailer while you can cuz I get the feeling it'll be taken down

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, that is so weird. I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it. I mean, let the work be the work is one way to look at it, but on the other hand he'd already been getting some Oscar buzz for the role, so maybe that's why Scott wanted to just take him out of the picture (literally).

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008

I mean like, this is taking reshoots to a whole new level. Be crazy if the movie still turns out good.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well first off, Scott is something of a madman (I mean that in the nicest, most complementary way possible) I think he could pull it off. Not sure why they wouldn't just push back the release date but, as mentioned, Scott is a madman (He made this decision "unilaterally" and told them later!) and this is Sony's Big Time Oscar Bait and, due to the extreme short attention spans of The Academy (yay, everything releasing in December again, dangit) they need this to be a December (small run) release and I don't think either party wants it to sit on a shelf for all of 2018 until next year (cuz God knows you can't release Prestige Pictures in February or March nowadays) It seems that they're bringing in all the actors and I'm assuming it's a lot of Getty being bitter in his giant mansion, so that could work if it's as simple as "every Spacey shot = Plummer". As for the exterior shots, like the desert bit in the trailer, definitely trickier but let's say they spend a day green screening Plummer for those and reshoot everything else. Apparently, Spacey only worked 8 days so, with Scott on full bore, let's say he does it in three. Then you get dozens of FX houses to do 24 hour Spacey digital erasure for Plummer for 3 weeks, digital "prints" are made, like, what a week before they get sent to theatres (and it'll only be, like, 3 theatres anyway, not a wide December release, definitely just a small run and wider in January). Boom, you got Plummer! Who is awesome in anything, really.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I love it when Ridley just goes crazy. This should be very interesting. Not to mention the footage of Spacey's performance is about to be added to the halls of legendary lost footage (as I doubt they'll include it on the BR as bonus features).

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  7. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Rian Johnson Non-Skywalker trilogy on the way. They must really like what he did with TLJ.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So here's the details about the Plummer for Spacey reshoots, which I think is the most interesting stuff. 10 million! At least! Also they didn't want to push it to 2018 cuz Danny Boyle has a Getty kidnapping TV series out in January, so that's one reason why.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/k...lummer-all-the-money-in-the-world-1202611975/

Though Sony and Imperative toyed with moving the picture to 2018, they are eager to have it debut in advance of Danny Boyle’s “Trust,” an FX series that also revolves around the Getty kidnapping and airs in January.Imperative will shoulder the additional costs of reshoots. Reshooting Spacey’s work as Getty is expected to take eight to 10 days, according to insiders close to the project, and will likely be north of $10 million to the film’s budget. It also requires bringing back stars Mark Wahlberg and Michelle Williams. Both actors were scheduled to have two weeks worth of reshoots written into their contracts, but they may have exceeded that amount of time already. If so, they will be paid their pro-rated weekly rate, according to agency sources and producers who have handled similar situations.
    A character actor of Plummer’s caliber, boasting an Oscar and a long list of credits, can typically command between $250,000 and $400,000 for a supporting turn, according to knowledgeable insiders. Wahlberg and Williams both signed off on the decision to recast Spacey, and their schedules are relatively flexible. Williams is shooting “Venom,” a superhero movie being produced by Sony, the distributor of “All the Money in the World.” It’s in the studio’s interest to make Williams available, which it is doing. Wahlberg is not currently filming a project. He’s on the press tour for “Daddy’s Home 2,” which also makes it easier to slot him into the production.
    One option not currently on the table, according to insiders, is to have Plummer do much of his work in front of a green screen and then work with visual effects firms to splice him into pre-existing footage. Most of Spacey’s scenes involve him interacting with only a few other actors or featured solo shots, so Scott and the producers believe that it would be more economical and effective to simply recreate the scenes with Plummer. Digitally inserting actors into footage can be tricky — it’s particularly challenging to make the lighting sync up, sources say. Filming will take place within the next two weeks and the goal is to have the picture locked by Dec. 15, according to insiders.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  9. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  10. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Welp the DARK UNIVERSE is dead already.

Easily seen coming. Also a tremendous waste of talent and possibilities.

11. Wolfpack5

Wolfpack5 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2017
    It is an interesting concept... I mean, it makes no logical sense why movie theaters completely abandon the concept of supply and demand pricing models and (for the most part) price everything equally.... (of course I paid $60 for 2 tickets to The Last Jedi on the 14th but that's besides the point). I will be very interested to see how this plays out.

12. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003

I watched that film for the first time a month or two ago. It was... interesting. Certainly I'd never go on a boating holiday with Klaus Kinski after watching that.

Master_Lok likes this.
  13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Interesting, but the whole point of the original was how the colors, soundtrack and set pieces threw you into the movie. The story was decent (by Dario Argento standards. The only casting I am curious about is Jessica Harper (who memorably played Suzy Banyon in the original.) She's returning to play someone ( perhaps Madame Blanc, as I think Tilda is playing the Helena Markos role.) I'll probably still see it but am not in any hurry to.

14. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Super Mario is going back to theatres. Animated this time.

It screen writer is writing “Are you Afraid of the Dark Movie.”

15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    As long as it's not live action, then there is hope for this.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Studios pitching woo toTarantino to release his next movie. Warner Brothers even engaged in 60s cosplay.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/quentin-tarantino-film-bidding-manson-1202614085/

When Tarantino arrived at the studio’s Burbank lot, he found the circular entrance in front of the administration building adorned with cars from the late 1960s. The Warner Bros. logo circa 1969 was on the marquee outside the studio, and the executive conference room was outfitted with vintage furniture from the era and mock posters for the movie. Much of Tarantino’s film unfolds in August of 1969, a time when Manson’s commune of followers murdered actress Sharon Tate and four of her friends.

Also he's saying he needs a 100 million dollar budget! He hasn't had a budget that big, holy hannah!

17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    :rolleyes: ^ I wouldn't give him a dollar to film that. WTH does he need even 10 million to make what will be another movie about Manson Murders? Haven't they been wrongly glorified enough already?

18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    well the studios have read the script, so presumably they have a better idea of how much it would cost to film, if it's a rehash of previous films, whether it wrongly glorifies the murders, etc. just being familiar with tarantino, my guess is it's not what you're expecting.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Tarantino says it's more about 1969 than the Mansons specifically, which to me sounds like how Inglorious Basterds is about a theater owner who just happens to help end WWII. You never know with Tarantino just which aspects of his stories will have the most relevance.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah Hollywood Reporter, I believe, also said that "it's a movie about Charles Manson the way Ingorious Basterds is a movie about Hitler". I mean, Hitler is IN it and a big chuck of the plot revolves around him but it ain't a Hitler movie.

If anything, I see Tarantino doing a 1969 set film and somehow the Manson Murders sorta happen around it but I doubt we're getting a Charles Manson Murders movie.

100 million, though! Holy Heck!

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The pairing of Tarantino and the Manson murders is worrying in some ways and exciting in others. I could see it going horribly wrong or brilliantly right. So far Tarantino hasn't gone horribly wrong yet (nope, not even The Hateful Eight was ever worse than mediocre), so I'm betting on the latter. But we'll see.

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think death proof is by far his weakest film, but maybe gets a pass since it's such a blatant homage, verging on parody. i loved the hateful eight.

23. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    The Hateful Eight was great. It's probably my favourite murder mystery I've ever seen. I'll be excited for any film that says "Directed by Quentin Tarantino".

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I only loved about ninety minutes of The Hateful Eight and the fact that ninety minutes still leaves a full ninety minutes to not love was maybe my biggest problem with the movie. Lot of great stuff, but, man, it was way too long. I also agree that Death Proof kind of gets a pass; it isn't really one of his artistic triumphs but I don't think he's intending it to be much beyond what it is. And it is very short too, so that's something. But I wouldn't call The Hateful Eight at all a bad movie or even an average one. It's still very much worth seeing and a lot of it is worth loving.

tom likes this.
  25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I remember Oliver Stone had a Manson movie in development for years , I'd say he'd be the perfect director for a movie about that .