main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000

Quentin Tarantino’s New Film Lands at Sony

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Now poster entirely Plummer enhanced!

http://deadline.com/2017/11/all-the-money-in-the-world-posters-sliced-ear-kevin-spacey-1202211131/

[​IMG]

These would probably be worth a mint if anyone got one

[​IMG]

I'd be hilarious if they basically had to insert footage of Plummer's General Chang from Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country into the flick to make the release date.

[​IMG]

"No peace in our time" (Insert Ridley Scott voiceover here, yelling) "For ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD!"

Be an insane abstract art flick. Bold!

PCCViking likes this.
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    If you ask me, it's time to shelve the Joker for a while. It's been done, I think, as well as it can be done and it will take years for someone to sufficiently shake Ledger's legacy without going completely off the deep end, ala Leto. I'm afraid we're doomed to Joker performances ranging from incredibly annoying to subpar for the next several years.

Armie Hammer has a good look for Bruce Wayne. Don't know that he has a lot of range. Haven't seen Call Me By Your Name yet which is supposedly amazing. But, I mean, yeah, he's a perfect physical match.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Spike Lee's Malcolm X was released 25 years ago today:

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  6. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    As far as Tarantino's Manson film goes I would say people tend to underestimate the moral dimension to his films, beyond the production values I think that's the main thing that elevates them over there exploitation influences. I mean someone like Manson WAS charismatic which was a lot of the reason he built a following but showing the emptiness of that charisma seems worthwhile to me.

Rogue1-and-a-half and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That's true, for as bloody and violent as Tarantino gets, the good guys are generally actually pretty good. They just happen to kill people because it's their job. Can't really use Hateful Eight as an example because ... well, it's in the title, they're hateful. but The Bride is pretty upstanding even as she chops people up and even the protagonists of Pulp Fiction are actually good. Yes, Butch kills Vincent but he was sent there to kill him and Vincent is actually a nice fella, if somewhat drug addled and unlucky. Jules undergoes a complete moral reversal by the end. But, yes, Tarantino heroes do kill people a lot. But they kind of have to.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The moral journey of the Christoph Waltz character in Django Unchained is one of the best arcs in any of Tarantino's movies, I think. Helped mightily by Waltz's astounding performance. That moment when he just suddenly realizes that he's ready to give up his life just to strike a single blow against slavery . . . that's a brilliant moment. He goes from a sort of mild philosophical distaste for slavery to literally giving his life because his soul simply can't stand to be in the presence of such evil anymore. I definitely agree that there's a strong, often very surprising moral element to Tarantino's work.

BigAl6ft6 and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  9. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    I would say just the reverse, Tarantino rarely goes for straight ahead good guys and bad guys, he does normally have some comment to make so it hopefully won't be just Manson as some scenery chewing villain.

Django and Death Proof were I felt his most simplistic films in that regard although the former is obviously far better than the latter and highly entertaining, theres not much moral complexity there beyond the obvious point of slavery's evil nature. The others do all have a philopsical intelligence to them beyond what he often gets credit for, in Pulp FIction Jules and VIcent reacting differently to the "miracle" with the latter being killed staying in his old ways, in Inglourious Basterds the "heroes" being shown as war criminals, the allies making a deal with the devil and Shoshanna/Zollar being caught in a Romero/Juillette tragedy., in The Hateful Eight Jackson and Goggin's characters commenting on modern racial issues.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    So...

I just saw "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri", and holy jesus that movie was amazing. Very Coen Brothers esque.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  11. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    Sadly we have to wait until Janurary here in the UK, looking forward to it after In Brudge and Seven Psychopaths, especially with Sam Rockwell involved again.

12. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

This actually looks really good

13. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Saw that preview before Three Billboards. Looks really good.

14. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    [​IMG]

Only known pic of Smokey as the Bandit.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Oscar buzz for Margot Robbie as Tonya Harding is growing. Which my make more interested in seeing the movie.

16. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

This was rather good

17. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  18. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    It was amazing. It's put both the director and the main actress (both of whom are making their feature film debuts! !!!) seriously on my radar. One of the most intense cinematic experiences of my year.

20. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I get what they're saying, but there are more than a few f-bombs in Lady Bird. And that isn't just a shot of a Playgirl magazine; it is a full-frontal nude shot of a guy in the magazine.

Again, I see what they're saying, but there are better examples they could come up with than Lady Bird when it comes to movies getting Rs for stupid reasons. Ain't Them Bodies Saints is a really good example. Or, ironically, the Ultimate Edition of BvS. That didn't deserve an R. What was there, like one shot of blood mist when one character got shot?

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Zero talk about RRRrraaaw Powah! Disappointed.

23. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I saw Murder on the Orient Express a few hours ago. I liked it overall. I wish Daisy Ridley's character was in it more, but, then, I'm in love with that actress. Go figure.

Oh, and I love Waltz' character in Django Unchained. He's my favorite aspect of the film. I found myself enjoying that film when I saw it back in April 2013 at this little theater. I was cheering for Django during his plight, and I kept smiling whenever King Schultz achieved something, said something funny, etc. And when he shot Calvin Candie, I was like, "YES!"

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

Hmmmm....do we really need big armies fight in another Epic movie? Not sure about cartoon character Thanos either.

soitscometothis likes this.
  25. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Applause to Spielberg for releasing a movie about the power of real journalism into the current "Fake News" cultural climate. The Post may not be his best movie, but it's the kind of public service announcement we desperately need.

Also, I'm truly excited about one of my actor heroes, Bob Odenkirk, playing one of my real life journalism heroes, Ben Bagdikian, author of the extraordinary book: "The Media Monopoly" the thesis of which is now moot as its very worst prophecies have long since come to pass.

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.