main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

Well that was fast.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, I remember reading that book in college and the teacher being like, "It's already gotten much worse since he wrote it," and then you look back at it now and it's like his doomsday predictions almost seem quaint in comparison to just how dreadful things have gotten. He definitely saw where things were headed.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, that trailer's editing and pacing is very different from what I remember the first trailer being. This one is very fast paced- the other had more of a slow burn to the Spacey reveal. Obviously they couldn't do that with Plummer and just swap him in, but Im surprised they changed their entire approach.

4. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Great score

Loved the scene where she ate the finger

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I didn't know which thread to put this in.

Batman Ninja:

6. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Thought you might enjoy this:

7. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
  8. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Goddamn it, it is December 4th. I will make my top fifteen films of 2017 list after I have seen my last movie in calendar year 2017.

Though, judging on that thumbnail, it looks like he includes Personal Shopper, so kudos for that. It'll probably make my top fifteen. Really loved it.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I haven't seen Personal Shopper, but from what I understand and from the trailer, the title of the film doesn't match the actual movie.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    BREAKING: Bryan Singer has been fired from 'Bohemian Rhapsody' amid reports that the film's star Rami Malek complained to Fox about the director’s alleged unprofessional behavior on set.

12. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Singer has torpedoed his own career with this move.

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
  14. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    Given the rumors about Singer over the years, part of me was expecting his firing to be for other reasons.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    There's actually a super-important Tarantio movie story

.... that I have to bump the catch-all Star Trek thread for.

I ain't even kidding. I really hope this happens a lot.

16. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    People will joke about bloody violence and swearing in Trek but I could potentially see it working, I mean something like Wrath of Khan is a very talky film with more tension than action.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I watched a few CinemaSins videos after another once when they were new, and already found them not particularly funny and very repetitive. I frequently see them in my 'Recommended videos' off to the right, but have never been enticed to click them again, if possible even less so as their runtimes has steadily grown longer over the years.

However, this guy does a solid critique of the whole channel in a way that speaks to a broader more worrisome trend in entertainment that, admittedly, has been long ongoing, which is the dumbing down of entertainment and discourse about... well, anything.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Bryan Singer provides his side of the story to The Hollywood Reporter:

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I liked some of their videos at the beginning too, particularly the very funny Dark Knight Rises video, but it didn't take long for the channel to just get stupid. Runtimes needed to get longer to entice more viewers which, I think, lead to the channel ultimately trumping up "sins" in order to fill a video. I mean, you're gonna have to get creative to find twenty minutes of things to complain about in some of those movies. I've watched a few anti-Cinema Sins videos and I too think he really nails it: so much of the Cinema Sins model relies on taking film completely literally at the expense of allowing things like, for example, the constantly running train in Snowpiercer to simply function as an artistic metaphor; and, yet, at the same time, it also has to experience things in a moment-to-moment mode of nitpicking, as in complaining about characters in a scene not having guns when, less than thirty seconds later, characters do, in fact, arrive with guns, implying that the problem isn't that characters don't have guns in this scene, but rather that characters don't always have guns, which is a hell of a thing to critique a movie about. Cinema Sins is ultimately pretty stupid and in no way is it "satire." I think the anti-Cinema Sins folks have created some really thorough, thoughtful and interesting videos though. Here's another one I like a lot.

Also, by the by, I kind of think Cinema Sins Jeremy should have been forced to leave YouTube forever after that video where he viciously mocked Civil War for even thinking it had a chance against BvS before they both came out. I mean, when you're that stupid, you just don't get to talk about movies anymore.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  20. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Disney buying Fox is getting closer to being a done deal. Horrible for the film industry.....

Great for Unaltered Star Wars

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Eh do the unaltered Star Wars versions even exist anymore? I'm pretty sure Lucas remixed it for the SE's. And, frankly, at this point, the SE versions are actually older than the original versions.

22. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

There are 2 stories. One, they already exist in the vault. Two, they no longer exist in complete form, but all the negatives do and can be put back together anytime.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  24. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    DarthMane2 likes this.