main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Solo spot was also longer. Even though Avengers was mostly new footage too, it was 1/3rd shorter and a nice chunk of that was text screens.

Not to mention the Solo SB spot was probably better than the full teaser trailer...

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Anyone see Cloverfield: Paradox?

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Somebody has:

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Just finished watching it earlier- it’s ok but below the quality of the first two and I suspect the earthbound subplot was only added once it was renamed into a Cloverfield movie, because it’s kind of a waste of time otherwise.

Still, kinda fun to have this sort of “film drop”.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Master_Lok, BigAl6ft6 and PCCViking like this.
  5. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    And given that some movies are released in "On Demand" at the same time as theaters, the above scene from Spaceballs is quite the prediction.

Master_Lok, BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    ‘Logan’ Director James Mangold Is Mad as Hell About Post-Credits Scenes: ‘It’s ****king Embarrassing’
    Mangold really needs to find a way to express himself. :p

You'd think "artists" would be more open minded about such things, but in light of Mangold's comments and Jodi Foster's a while back, certain "artists" have a very narrowed minded view on the elements of film making or what makes and ruin the films and how it effects the audience. Now, I really don't have any problems with a director saying he/she is against post credit scenes as Christopher Nolan has said as much. But, it is irksome when a director tries to speak for the audience or think he knows what's best for them.

Personally, I think an artist can stick the landing of his/her film and can have a bonus/end credit scenes that do not diminish or ruin the film as a whole. Moreover, provide fan service with Easter eggs without compromising the film. It should be noted that Mangold did have a bonus scene at the end of The Wolverine, so I'm guessing he's admitting he didn't land the ending for "The Wolverine."

I really don't think Mangold is a comic book nerd, despite directing "The Wolverine" and "Logan" as he doesn't seem to understand the value of fan service nor the reason for a character to dawn a costume, as he says the following:

The bold text above, to me, shows Mangold's view on a character's costume. That costumes are narcissistic and some sort of personal branding. To a small certain extent, I agree with that, but not for the same reasons as Mangold. I mean, in terms of being narcissistic, there are characters like that, such as Booster Gold but narcissism is not the reason why Logan wears a costume. Deadpool wears red costume to hide his face and the blood. There is personal branding in heroes like Batman, but again, it's not for the reasons Mangold seems think as such. I mean, Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy does a brilliant job in providing why Bruce Wayne "brands" himself, which is not for egotistical reasons but to be a symbol of hope; an ideology. Moreover, in the Dark Knight Rises, Nolan's tells the audience why it's important for a hero to wear a mask when Batman tells John Blake, "The mask is not for you, it's for the people you care about."

BTW, Nolan also is not oppose to fan service or tossing in Easter Eggs into the Dark Knight trilogy.

Mangold did have a way to introduce an iteration of Wolverine's costume (which is not the canary yellow) at the end of "The Wolverine" but he backed out.

I really never felt that Mangold gold the essence of Wolverine in either of his films, in the same way the Bryan Singer never really capture the essence of the X-Men as I noted numerous times in the X-Men thread.

Anyway, I don't agree with Mangold's thoughts on post credit/bonus scenes or Easter eggs.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  7. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Jeez. Mangold needs to calm down. End credit scenes are there to get you even more excited for what’s to come. I love them.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  8. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    GOT creators Benioff and Weiss are apparently going to be creating Star Wars movies now.

9. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I’m so excited! Does this mean we’re going to start getting 2 SW films a year? Cause there’s so many that’ve been announced.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Could be part of Disney's streaming service.

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    True, but in Logan's case, given that it was the end of Logan/Wolverine's story, at least Hugh Jackman's version of him, an end credit scene wasn't needed unless Jackman was going to somehow come back to play him or they were going to continue Laura's story beyond the film.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, Logan didn't warrant an end credit scene, but Mangold didn't need to pooh pooh on the idea or on the fans that enjoy them.

I know Mangold wanted to follow up Logan with an X-23/Laura film and if he was told that he had to create a post credit scene to set-up that film, I bet he would have done it and fans would have appreciate it. I thought X-23 stole a lot of scenes from Wolverine and was the true heart of the film.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I dug Cloverfield Paradox a lot, the audacity of buying from Paramount / putting up a Superbowl ad, putting it up that night was kind of awesome. I still think all 3 Cloverfield movies do fit together and even though Paradox has a "subplot slapped on to vaguely integrate it into the Cloverfield franchise" feel, I think it works as a prequel setup as to why things are crazy in the last 2 movies (because space magic portal opening or whatever). But the movie is really about various horrible ways to die on a space station, which is a genre I always enjoy.

This is pretty on-point, the entire Limited Release thing to "build buzz" is completely pointless in the streaming age. Either put it on 1000 theatres or just put it in 1 to qualify and stream it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I just assume the Cloverfield subplot was added at the expense of explaining that arm subplot. ;)

15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Ah finally some news about Michael Jai White and his not quite Black Dynamite sequel, Outlaw Johnny Black.

Looking forward to hearing more about this.

16. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Hard to believe it’s been almost ten years since Iron Man came out. I can remember where I sat in the theatre, how many people were in the row with me.

Juliet316 and Guidman like this.
  17. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

Bay may do a Lobo movie. Perfect fit for him I’d say.

18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Indeed. As much as I dislike X-23 in the comics (and any children of Logan really), I thought Dafne was quite good.

Mangold...I laughed at his rant about the post credit scenes, considering he filmed one for The Wolverine.

19. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I did my own Superhero Oscars on page 73, and one of my favorite YouTube channels has done their own.

Master_Lok and Juliet316 like this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  22. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    I’d be down for an Alex Garland Swamp Thing movie.

23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    LOL...mind blown.

24. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002