main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    but it only came out 4 days ago .

2. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Over 4 days, Rogue One made $170 million. Solo has made $100 million.

That’s not bad, considering Rogue One went on to make over $1 billion. Solo could definitely reach $800 million + at this point.

3. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I cannot imagine why he wants to do this. It's so far outside of his wheelhouse it's ridiculous. Remember when Scorsese did The Age of Innocence? That barely registers as a blip compared to this.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Because he’s a libertarian wingnut pursuing a passion project.

Adam of Nuchtern and tom like this.
  6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    scorsese actually has a pretty diverse filmography imo.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Maleficent sequel

I heard about this on the radio but forgot until now. I'm sold. I just hope to see Maleficent make the big transformation this time.

8. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I don't see what they can do after the first one. I mean, the first one was basically the story of Sleeping Beauty, even with the twists and character changes.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    In the sequel she needs to enter a breakdance contest to save the local community center from evil shopping mall developers.

Master_Lok and tom like this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The synopsis of Maleficent II smells like Avatar 2. Right now, I have no real interest in seeing this movie. But, I may see it if Maleficent turns into a dragon for most of the film and fights some ice zombies.

In other news, Jaime Foxx has been cast as Al Simmons, aka Spawn. I think this is some good casting to get a well known actor in the role. However, I'm still iffy on the "Jaws" approach to the film, meaning the character of Spawn will be featured the same way the shark in "Jaws" was, and that's just showing partial images of the creature and mostly focusing on the effects thereof.

However, I have some hopes for the film as it's a Blumhouse production that usually puts out quality budget films. And as a Blumhouse production, I would expect the film to lean more on the horror elements of the character, which should give Spawn the differential distinction from other super heroes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Luke02 likes this.
  11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  12. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I eagerly await this movie.

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, he totally does. But it was kind of common to hear people talk about what an outlier Age of Innocence was back when it came out. But, yeah, you wouldn't think the same guy made The Last Temptation of Christ & Taxi Driver & Age of Innocence. And what's so great is that he's not backing down. He did Wolf of Wall Street and Silence back to back and I can't imagine two more different movies and I gave them both four stars.

I am expecting to actually cry when he dies. No one's ever been like him really, but he's also the last of a breed of filmmakers who were interested in filtering a new artistic vision through a classic Hollywood aesthetic. I remember walking out of Silence and thinking, "No one else would have ever made that movie." Once Scorsese's gone, there's a whole kind of film that is just never going to be made anymore. And it somehow has nothing to do with genre facility; it's just . . . a philosophy of story-telling and filmmaking that is represented nowhere else.

Dagobahsystem, Juliet316 and tom like this.
  14. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  15. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    I'm intrigued if they stick to the source material and or elevate it.

16. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Movies are so devoid of color now. This especially in comparison to the original.

That being said I like it. He definitely has the tone down.

17. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017

It's really interesting how much thematic overlap this looks like it's going to have with what we saw of The New Mutants. Both got started in the pipeline over at Fox relatively close together. They would have actually been released only 4 months apart if Fox had stuck with NM's original date. I have to wonder if someone inside of Fox finally realizing that the two movies had too much in common played a factor in sending NM back to the drawing board or at least made the significant delay a little more appealing.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  18. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

Like It. Also love Starscream transforming like he did in he G1 days with the colors and more accurate look.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  19. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  20. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    When the hell did they make Bumblebee movie?? How did I miss that being in production.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  22. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    [​IMG]

Yes,Yes, A Thousand Times Yes

23. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I like how the aging is more subtle on screen than on the poster. It looks like it should crumble to dust any second and it's only through the spirit of Halloween that its staying on the boogeyman's face.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm fine with the approach- there's a lot of ways to tackle the Spawn material and at least this will make it stand out more. Though I'd be fine with a straight-up adaptation of the HBO series.

Foxx is a a good actor and can certainly do intimidating but I'm wary of the voice. He's generally higher-pitched and softer, even when playing a more threatening character beat, and while I'm not saying they can't make it work or throw some post-production work on it, it feels really out of place when you have Keith David as the main point of comparison (even Michal Jai White is deeper).

It was the first movie to come out of the Transformers writers room experiment. They plotted out various tF movieverse ideas, with Bumblebee here being the main one, as well as an upcoming animated Cybertron-set prequel. The main live action films supposedly took off from here as well, with The Last Knight being the first to incorporate that info (thus the blatant Bumblebee flashbacks likely included just to set up this BB movie).

Buuut- no Michael Bay directing, rather the guy in charge of Laika (Kubo, etc) is, so it actually has promise.

"Oh, thank you! I've been locked in there for 40 years! "

Sith_Sensei__Prime and firesaber like this.
  25. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018