main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Those pictures of The Shape are arleady better than Halloween movies 4-8 put together.

DarthMane2 likes this.
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Not sure if anyone has seen it yet but on Mark's FB page he posted a sweet response to the Instagram harassment that Kelly Tran had received since TLJ was released with the caption, "What's not to love? #GETALIFENERDS".

[​IMG]

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Why is the story of A Star is Born so compelling that it requires being remade over and over? This is the fourth version, I think. And honestly none of them are very good and the story is just hokey and contrived and problematic. I just don't get it. Obviously, some people love it. I mean, apparently.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Nowhere near as bad as the 10 million rip offs/remakes of It Happened One Night.

5. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable present the funniest/best version.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    (2018) Halloween teaser trailer is online. Full trailer drops tomorrow.

DarthMane2 likes this.
  8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I wonder if Bill Shatner gets any royalties from that ^

firesaber likes this.
  9. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    So is this a Jason prequel of sorts? I mean he's been to space like 400 hundred years in the future. If this is set present day, shouldn't he be in a cryo tube somewhere? Jason's continuity makes my head hurt. [face_laugh]

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    You mean Michael Meyers, right? Jason was Friday the 13th.

11. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    I got nothing. Never mind. Apologies all around for a post tinged with a bit of Thirsty Thursday. [face_whistling]

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Eh we've probably all made that mistake at least once before.

On a sidenote, what do you think of the Bishoujo statues by Kotobukiya on the horror line? Jason looks a little too skimpy; but the tease of the new Michael Meyers one coming out soon looks very promising.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The full trailer for Halloween (2018)

I thought the first half of the trailer looked very promising, but the second half was pretty much a standard slasher flick fare.

firesaber likes this.
  14. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    Not really my thing/genre of collectible. If SH Figuarts as an example does some that are faithful to the characters as they are I'd be interested in seeing those.

15. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I like it. It will be traditional given that it is the OG to begin with. I’m more interested the plotting. Seems like a good idea and story so far.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I haven't watched the dozen or so "sequels" to the original Halloween movie; so I can't really keep up with all the lore involving whether or not Michael really was or wasn't Laurie's brother. But one thing that just seems out of place to me is the transformation of Laurie herself in this new movie. She's getting the Sarah Connor treatment; which is a huge change from the young, terrified babysitter. By "Sarah Connor treatment", I mean of course in the original Terminator movie Sarah was a single, young waitress running for her life until Kyle comes to her rescue. At the end she does get a little hardcore; so the transition into what you see in T2 doesn't really need too much explanation. I assume Laurie's transition will be explained fully in the new movie. I'll probably wind up seeing it; if nothing else than to just listen to the memorable theme on the big screen.

17. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    TBH, I'm not sure what to think. The trailer makes it out to be a lot of "Jamie Lee Curtis buries the hatchet" like H20 was, and with just as much cringe in between.

The tone feels off. Like they're trying to force a "Heeeere's Michael!" thing. Way too much gratuitous showing off of Michael along with predictable kills and bad set ups to them. What made the original great was how much in the background Michael stayed for the first hour and 15 minutes of the movie. He's an ever present shape in the background. It doesn't work when you have him up front and center in the daylight showing him off like he's on parade. Maybe the trailer is just showing all the money shots up front, but honestly the tone of it feels off. It feels like they're trying to sell Michael instead of the cast which is what worries me. The worst thing a horror movie can do is under develop the victims. Halloween has always remained a cut above the rest because it developed its characters to where you care about whether they live or die. You spend an hour getting to know them instead of seeing them knocked off 20 minutes after their introduction.

I think you can sell a modern audience Halloween without every shot having Michael in it. Part of Halloween is the feeling of dread it creates. That tingle on the back of your neck that you're being watched. This trailer didn't seem to want to sell me a scary movie, it seemed to want to sell me "Michael Myers & Laurie Strode: here they are together again!"

18. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So I was watching Eurotrip and I realized that the movie probably could have resolved in the first few minutes if Coop or Scotty's brother or anyone with an email account simply emailed Mieke and explained the situation. Then he could have gotten her number, called her, and straightened out the misunderstanding. Yes, I know this defeats the whole purpose of the movie of four friends to get into wacky hijinks in Europe, but obviously none of these kids are the sharpest tools in the shed.

19. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Criterion will be releasing the great 1961 adaptation of "A Raisin in the Sun" this september.

20. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  21. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    French appeals court has taken “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote,” away from Terry Gilliam.

Cursed. Lol!!!

22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Inception was on IFC this weekend. I freakin' love that movie. Sure it has it's problems and you end up with a lot of more questions than the movie can answer, but for what it's worth, I wholeheartedly enjoy it.

Spoilers ahead for this 8 year old movie --- so at the end the big question is, did Cobb really make it back and does he get to be with his children in real life, or is he still dreaming? Of course it's up to interpretation because the movie doesn't give you the answer. After viewing it this weekend, it doesn't matter either way because he was finally able to let his wife go and be happy with his kids. If he's dead or dreaming or alive in the real world, he's happy and I like that.

23. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  24. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Disney just raised its bid to 71 billion for Fox

71 billion

Billion

Billion

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008

Though I guess we're starting to get an idea of just how much a back catalog, unrestricted access to licenses, monopolization of the second largest streaming service, and one less major competitor is worth to the Mouse.

Juliet316 likes this.