main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD At The Movies - Reviews & Critical Musings

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by casual-jedi, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnempE

EnempE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2005
    That the sig would be seeing you is now evident by its reappearance.

Therefore it went without saying.

cosmos = balance

2. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    A Good Year

Caught this surprising gem on a quiet budget Tuesday.. A Good Year, is an old fashioned story of rediscovery.. of one's self, and one's true passions... And perhaps, it is ironic that I found this movie on a whim of nostalgia, as I decided to re-discover my once regular cinema stomping ground at the quaint Hawthorne cinemas.

The film treads a well worn path as Max, a career driven man at the top of his game, gets an unexpected curve-ball when he inherits a Provencale Vineyard. As he remembers long lost summers with his uncle, Max begins a journey of reconciliation with his forgotten passions... and in turn begins a search for what he holds true. In somewhat of a departure role.. Russell Crowe does his best impression of a bumbling Englishman, as the hardnosed stock guru Max.

As a film, A Good Year is right up my alley. It combines elements of romance and self-discovery, within a story that has heart. It is not quite a full blown chick flick, but it is far from being an actioner. Also, those that find interest in the world of wine appreciation, like Marv, and Kahli, may find something in this movie too. I'd rate it a Bona Fide, cheap Tuesday special.

7/10

3. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Fan Force Chick-Flicks presents... The Holiday...:D

[image=http://images.villagevoice.com/issues/0649/foundas.jpg] [image=http://www.nashvillescene.com/Stories/Arts/Film/2006/12/07/theholiday.jpg]

Truth be told, I kinda had to be dragged to this chick-flick, which, to anyone that knows me, is a shocking occurence. It's just that the trailers made this quaint little gem, look like a banal, by the numbers love-fest. The Holiday is more than that... Yes it hits all the cues, and finds all the "meet cutes"(film quote), that every good romantic comedy should. It's just underneath all that mushy stuff, is an interesting study on unrequited love, and finding the right one. It's also about finding 'a tear', that leads to much more.. all from an unexpected dalliance. Another bonus, is that the film is full of little nods to classic romantic movie buffs everywhere. This is clearly a film written by a fan of the genre.

Another budget Tuesday special.

7/10.

4. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    My cousin went to see this, and while she said it was good, it was definately marred by the fact that the Jack Black/Kate Winslet pairing took a back seat to those other fools. Which is really a pity, because they're awesome actors, who according to my cousin, did a much better job than the other two. The main reason I refuse to see this movie - Cameron Diaz. I can't stand the girl. Her and Gwyneth Paltrow piss me off!!! Oh and the fact that it's a chick flick [face_sick]

5. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Beat me to it again, CJ.

Saw this as well, and it was a very nice film. While utterly predictable in its romantic plots, it did have some heart to it (HEART! :p). The great trick here is that the film is littered with homages and in jokes to the film industry and the old Golden Age Romantic Films.

While I share mei-mei's dislike of Cameron Diaz, it's got Kate Winslet in it, and I'd watch her read the phone book. However she puts in a fantastic performance here.

Jude Law's great, essentially playing a Hugh Grant role. And Jack Black, a man who while talent annoys me, reins it in and manages to be both sweet and sensitive.

Also, the two daughters; the cutest girls who aren't Dakota Fanning in the movie industry.

The last great thing about this, what raises it above other films of it's type, is the casting of Eli Wallach as Arthur, the elderly man who lives near the house Kate Winslet's character finds herself in. He's a charming character, and it's good to see Eli Wallach in such a great role.

Rufus Sewell is also good, but I've only ever seen the poor bloke play villains since Dark City!

In short, Nancy Meyers has managed to make her own film similar to Love, Actually, but in a much more streamlined and easy to follow package. Highly recommended.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

6. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    LC, I said the very same thing to IC about Cameron Diaz... hence my initial trepidation to see The Holiday. Dunno why, but she annoys me... However, she does a decent job with this comic turn. I also had an irrational dislike for Gwyneth in the past... but then I came to realise that she's actually a damn fine actress. One of the few Hollywood ingenues that can pull off a convincing Blighty accent.

7. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Nick of Time

An oldie, starring Captain Jack as a man blackmailed into killing a senator (governor?) by a man (christopher walken) and a woman (some burd) who hold his daughter hostage. He has 90 mins to complete the task, and the movie is played in 'real time' (ie the movie goes for 90 mins (or there abouts) and the action takes place minute by minute. Which is the only thing it has going for it, and in some ways the template later employed by the much more successful and infinately more watchable '24'.

I really wanted to like this one, but johnny depp whinging for 24 hours before being dropped two stories into a water feature is absolutely dull. Actually, that's not fair. What's best about this movie is the onion skinning of people involved in the plot to murder the senator (whatever). What, them too? Oh my god, them too? Not them as well!!??!! etc etc.

Ok for a $1 Tuesday. Movie copyright says 1995.

8. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Christopher Walken makes any movie GOOD!!!

I thought Nick of Time was a pretty taut thriller. The only gripe I remembered from when I saw it years ago, was that the last few minutes, as the action and suspense was hitting it's crescendo.. The film kinda deviated from it's 'real-time' thing. Actually rewinded it and timed it just to be certain... not that I'm retentive in any way.
    [face_whistling]

9. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Pan's Labyrinth

I read a review of it the day before I saw it, only really then realising how dark it was going to be. But I still wasn't prepared.

A really amazing movie that made me cry and hold my breath, in amongst closing my eyes for whole chunks of scenes that were accompanied by very realistic audio that left me in no doubt as to what was occurring. I even opened my eyes a couple of times jsut to see if it was a bad as I was imagining and yeah, it was.

Still the violence and realistic nature of half of the film made the fantasy sections seem real too, and as much as I just can't watch overt violence, I almost feel like it was warranted in order to make one feel the characters personalities, fear and anger. Certainly the inhumanity of the Captain was necessary to witness in order to have NO idea how far he would go in certain scenes.

For me, it was a film I'm glad I saw, and I did almost walk out twice almost in tears jsut due to the sheer overwhelming nature of the violence. I'm sure many of you are more able to watch this stuff. As Ic said..maybe it's a good thing I'm not desensitised to this sort of thing. But for me, that is relaly hard to sit through but I did, all on my own even!

I'd love to say it hd great produstion values, or was beautifully shot or something film critic like, but I honestly didn't notice. The characters were great though and I was involved with everyone one of them. A few of the token soldiers were a little stereotypical 2nd world war baddies, and maybe the captain was too, but you got to know him. As awful as that was.

So if you're still considering seeing it, I'd say DO IT, becasue it certainly makes you feel something. Close your eyes like me if you have to if watching torture and murder upsets you. Oh and if the thought of baby-eating mosters isn't your thing..then why are you friends of mine! :)

4/5

10. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Unfortunately the civil war in Spain was exactly like that, Kahlan. Garcia-Lorca, one of Spain's greatest modern playwrties, died at 32 when Franco ordered an entire field of people excuted just north of Granada. Spain's civil war was the most recent in the western world, and there are still a lot of people alive who remember it.

11. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Rocky Balboa

Kept meaning to put a review in for this. Been a bit busy the last few days.

So, why?

Simply put, despite everything old being new again (and there's some debate as to whether that's Uncle George's fault for the Star Wars Prequels, or Schwarzenegger's fault for Terminator 3), the Rocky series didn't get the ending it deserved with Rocky V. The mate I saw this with loves the fight at the end of Rocky V as he feels it returns the character to his roots, but admits the rest of the movie is "rather crap".

But this, I never thought I'd say this, but Sylvester Stallone has made a beautiful twilight film. Rocky's in his 50s and living alone; Adrian passed away 5 years earlier and he misses her terribly. He runs a restaurant where patrons come to hear the stories of the old days, and his relationship with his son is strained at best.

The hook for this film is a computer simulation between the current champ, a boxer named Mason "The Line" Dixon and Rocky in his prime, with the computer result being that Rocky would win. This gets everyone thinking, and is the set up for the fight that takes place as the climax of the film.

Now is it a ridiculous set up? Yes, the idea of a 50+ punch drunk boxer taking on a much faster, much younger opponent is ridiculous, but how Rocky is able to "go the distance" is explained very well, and I was satisfied.

I loved that after over an hour, the film almost joyously kicked into a training montage, like Sly was saying, "thanks for sitting through that, now here's what you've been waiting to see!"

Sly still writes good dialogue, and the fact that he has to deliver it whilst sounding punch drunk is a testament to his abilities. He's an underrated guy, hopefully people will remember him a bit more positively after this.

Even if you don't like Rocky or boxing films, I still recommend seeing this. It's a good film in its own right, without those two weights hanging around its neck. And if you like Rocky or boxing films, then you'll love this, and happily say farewell to one of the icons of cinema of the last 30 years.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

12. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    I loved that after over an hour, the film almost joyously kicked into a training montage, like Sly was saying, "thanks for sitting through that, now here's what you've been waiting to see!"

My brother loved that [face_mischief]

I'm very much looking forward to this now :) Moreso than before, in fact.

13. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    The Pursuit of Happyness: Based on a True Story. Starring: Will Smith, his son and a really awful looking Thandie Newton.
    A surprise for me. I really enjoyed this movie and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in a motivational film about what a person can do to survive when everything seems to be going against them.

The Departed: Remake of Hong Kong movie, Infernal Affairs. Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Marky Mark, Martin Sheen, Alec Baldwin.
    Utterly brilliant movie! Maybe a little long but it moves at a good pace and never seems boring. I won't say anything else besides the Soundtrack kicks ass!

14. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    I won't say anything else besides the Soundtrack kicks ass!

That'd be the Dropkick Murphy's, Boston's premiere Irish Punk Band. I'll be seeing them in March hopefully [face_dancing]

The other great thing about it? (SPOILER for tonight's Oscars): Martin Scorsese FINALLY got a Best Director nod!!

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

15. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Wow, that is a pretty positive write up for Rocky, Magnus. TBH I've heard some pretty bad things about it. Nonetheless I want to see it at some stage, knowing me though it won't be until it comes on to DVD. I'm so slack about dragging my lazy rear end to the cinema.

16. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Rocky... Meh :p

17. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Went and saw Rocky Balboa last week...
    Quite a sad story, with a few genuinely touching moments.
    Moments that almost.. almost, make up for a premise that's on the far side of the moon orbiting planet Ridiculoso.

6.5/10

18. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Movie: Smokin' Aces
    Starrng: everyone (practically)
    Viewed: Saturday 3 March

Not worth the effort really. A kind of american 'snatch' style movie only WAY harder and WAY more violent and WAY more over the top characters. Every (B-list) man and his dog is in it: ray liotta, ben affleck, andy garcia, alicia keys, ryan reynolds, jason bateman, joel edgerton... the list goes on. I mean, it starts ok, and the stylised presentation is well done, but it seems to lose it half way through, and the twist in the tale is only half what it could be (one half is glaringly obvious near the start), and even then I was at the no-longer caring stage, it just got silly. Could have been much more, but in the end a format which works much better for the poms.

Ryan Reynolds and Jeremy Piven put in good performances.

Verditct: Save you dosh and see snatch, lock stock etc or layer cake on $1 Tuesday. 3/10 (half a point each for the two jason bateman scenes, the only real laugh)

19. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Man of The Year.

A Robin Williams vehicle, where he plays a talk show comedian-cum-presidential candidate. Not without some genuine laughs, and pointed things to say about the failings of the US democratic process. Yet I can't help but think that my opinion of this film was always going to be skewed to the positive, simply because of the 10 minute cameo by Saturday Night Live comedienne, Tina Fey... Grrrrrrr-Schwwwwwiiiing!=P~ [face_love]
    [image=http://www.notwriting.com/images/tina_fey_glasses.jpg]

But really... Just the movie... 6/10... See it on what the French call Boo-Zhay(Budget) Tuesday.;)

20. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Movie: Vampire Bats
    Starrng: Our favourite #3 (well, one of them, anyway)
    Viewed: Wedensday 7 March

#3 is the new girl in town biology professor for the local university where ALL OF A SUDDEN there are some very strange death. Despite much yelling and hypothesising on the part of #3, everyone finally believes her wild stories about crazy animals when hoards of bats strike 2 separate parties on the same night. 2 parties conveniently attened by #3 (on a boat) and her students (some rave thing). What luck!

Anyway, the crazy bat night (they're flocking this way! ok, they don't say that, but they should have) is quite funny, and the rest of the movie is actually ok. In an anaconda 2: the blood orchid kinda way. but well worth the $1 tuesday investment

Verdict: go for it when you want a budget no-brainer.

21. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    A bit of a backlog of flicks I've been to see recently... Just been too lazy I guess.
    Anywhoo, in that motif of slothiness, I will be succinct, almost to the point of being no help as a reviewer.[face_mischief]

Music & Lyrics: 2/10...
    A steaming pile with little heart or soul. I actually walked out, 45mins into this movie... and I never do that.

The Host: 7/10...
    Decent special effects, with some genuinely amusing to funny moments(those wacky Koreans!)... quite sad in parts.

Scoop: 4/10...
    Woody Allen's latest comedy(and I do use that term loosely), is a rather hum-drum affair, from an increasingly one-note film-maker. Incoherent, two-dimensional characters, and an equally scatter-brained plot makes "Scoop" a back page reject. The 4 out of 10, is on account of my hetero man-crush on Hugh Jackman... What a guy!

22. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Wow, only 2/10 for Music and Lyrics? Damn. I'm not much of a chick flick fan, but the trailer looked promising... Ah well, I'll save my free movie ticket for something better. [face_thinking]

23. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Morgan, I am guessing that there was little more to the movie other than what was in the trailer. Like that one coming up with Don Cheadle and Adam Sandler, "Reign over me".

And hang on a sec! three Bruce Willis films coming out? 2 in April (opening against each other) and one in July. What did we do to deserve that?

24. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Reign Over Me, actually looks quite touching... but far too heavy for light entertainment.

25. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Meet The Robinsons:
    Kids film yes, but one of those ones where there's plenty of stuff in it for us grown ups too. In fact, some of the concepts ie time travel, disrupting time-line continuity, rejection were way more advanced than a munchkin would understand. I hoever found myself laughing really hard at bits and having the kid say..that's not funny Mum!

As the mian character is a science geek who feels misunderstood and rejected, I think many of us might relate, and as some of the jokes were so funny to me, and occasionally I seemed to be the only one laughing, that geeks like us in general would like this film.

It's also very pretty, good storyline, and enough to keep me interested for the duration. I didn't go to the 3D version although wouldn't mind, except that it's $16. Yikes! Chermside is playing the 3D version.

So...we're suppposed to rate these right 8/10. And I'd see it again. Which is good seing as I feel myself getting this on DVD and will probably HAVE to watch it ALOT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.