1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Force Friday - 4th September, visit this thread for more details.

Supanova: Adelaide (20th-22nd November), Brisbane (27th-29th November)

Oz Comic Con: Brisbane (19th-20th September), Sydney (26th-27th September)

FF:QLD At The Movies - Reviews & Critical Musings

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by casual-jedi, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    SS, I don't know about you but my primary reason for going in was actually for the cool CGI. :p If you weren't there for the giant robots, then you're obviously going to be disappointed.
  2. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
    SS, you're not the only one who only enjoyed mostly the CGI over the humans.
    Most fans of the original show are pretty much saying exactly what you said on Transformers forums.
  3. kahli Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Looks like shark attack III has won some awards...

dubious honours
  4. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, the verdict on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is in, and colour me very impressed. This movie was great. It's by far the best of the Potter films so far, and definitely the best of them in terms of the quality of the adaptation. The mood of the film is superb, perfectly capturing the anti-authoritarian vibe of the novel. The returning cast are all great, because after this amount of time they perfectly inhabit the roles, and the new additions to the cast were wonderful to behold. Evana Lynch was beyond adorable as Luna, and played her absolutely perfectly. Luna's one of my favourite characters, so I was really, really happy to have my fears of not having her done justice laid firmly to rest. And as for Imelda Staunton as Umbridge... Ye gods, words fail me. As Lozza said to me, she wanted to claw her own eyes out within seconds of Umbridge appearing on the screen, so the characterisation was spot-on. Umbridge is beyond horrible, she's so completely and utterly detestable that it makes you want to jump out of your seat and strangle her, and that's exactly how she's portrayed in the book. It was very easy to tell that there was a different screenwriter to the previous four films, and I've got to say that I like Michael Goldenberg's style a lot more than Steve Kloves. And I'm really stoked that David Yates is going to be returning to direct number six as well, because I loved the direction. The film was visibly darker and deeper than the previous ones, and just gorgeous to look at.

Man, what else to say? Michael Gambon finally got Dumbledore right, and the climax of the movie has got to be one of the best Wizard Fights ever put on celluloid. It had a lot to live up to, but the fight between Voldemort and Dumbledore was just as amazing as it should have been. :D

I wish some of the little subplots and moments that were cut could have been in there, but none of the cuts detracted from the movie as a whole. They were obviously necessary to the process of streamlining it, but still, as a fan, I can wish. The moving around of the order of some of the scenes worked surprisingly well, too. I knew I was going to like this film, but I liked it way more than I expected to. It just nailed the feeling of the book and the world with a completeness that none of the previous films have quite matched. Let's hope they can keep the trend of each film being better than the last one going, because if they do, 6 and 7 are going to be down-right amazing.
  5. kahli Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    mmm... see... I'm not so much with the agreeing....

I didn't really find it that great a movie. As far as successful adaptaions go, I'd vote chamber of secrets as the best HP (but by no means my favourite of the series).

I actually found #5 lacked and real... cojones. It needed a 'podrace' or something in the middle. Even the escape of the weasley twins left me kinda... hmmm. It was great and all but not quite the act of rebellion it had been in the book, more a simple show of disrespect.

But hey I'm glad you liked it, and I did see it twice :p
  6. casual-jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    Enjoyed HP5... but I did find myself looking down at the Casio G-shock about half way through. At two hours and some change, it was perhaps a tad long for my taste. But then again, not really into the books so much. Luna was great.. delightfully random. Good too were Hermione and the Down-Syndrome Giant.. but a few things felt unresolved with the Cho character. Umbridge deserved more in the way of come-uppance.. and so did the potty bird who offed that fella Harry liked so much. All in all, considering I paid $5.50 for my ticket.. I was happy with the value quotient of Phoenix.

7.5/10.
  7. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    Harry:

Yeah I didn't like at as much as I enjoyed the last few. By that I mean I'm not sure I'll be watching this one over and over when I get the DVD like I do with 1 and 4. But it wasn't meant to happy and fun and enjoyable really. It was dark and moody and Harry wan't cute and lovable. Which was totally what was required.

I was horribly angry at myself that I remembered so little of the book but I guess that gave me more surprises when watching it. I do remember Dolores, and that was pretty spot on..so evil, so wholesome.

i did think it was a good film, I thought they did the story justice and I got all the right feelings from the characters. Was proud of Hermionoe and Ron, felt Ron's sadness at Harry keeping him at a distance, saw him thinking Hermione was pretty cool. Dursleys were great as always. Dumbledore was jsut as he should be, and Malfoy and Bellatrix were decidedly creepy.

Anyway, I thought it was a good watch, and well worth seeing.

8/10
  8. Lozza Jedi Master

star 4
    OotP... What can I say?

Let's start with, I didn't really like the book. After book 4 it just didn't really, well it didn't really fit, it didn't really feel like JKR, the style almost seemed off. After book 5 I was left wondering if the series was going to end badly, that JKR had run out of steam and was writing for the sake of writing. Book 6 alleviated those fears - it was the author at her best.

The fifth movie did not feel like the book. In fact it felt more "Harry Potter"ish than the rest of the movies. Certainly, it wasn't all that true to the book but that's to be expected. Partially I think it's because the actors are now more grownup, more mature, and have a much better idea of what they are doing. Partially I think it is because what makes book 5 not such a great book, makes movie 5 a good movie.

I'd have done some things slightly differently, but not that differently.

1) More exposition in regards to the connection between Harry and Lord V.
    2) More lessons with Snape, or perhaps rather the impression of more lessions with Snape.
    3) Bellatrix had just a little more "screen" time in the book, and she was much more needy. Helena was great, the script regarding her character could have been better.
    4) Harry/Sirius relationship. Mostly due to the previous films. I think 5 did a lot to make up for what the others missed out but it just couldn't quite go all the way.
    5) I think we needed more in the family tree scene.
    6) Harry/Cho relationship. It was practically left hanging... I think they should have tied it up a little more. (That tying up does happen in book 5 doesn't it?)

What worked for me:

1) Cho being the "traitor". Yeah it didn't happen in the book, but movies don't work with too many characters. I think the explaination for this one was great.
    2) The way they handled the "inquisition". No words were needed for this, I think it was a fantastic way to cut back on (screentime for) necessary plot points.
    3) The "mixed" storyline. Some parts happening in a different order. This worked wonderfully.
    4) Umberidge. People said she was suppose to be distasteful in the book, and sure I hated her but not the same way that I think most people did. She was just a character I wasn't overly fond of. The actress though... Omg! KILL MAIM DESTROY! She managed to get what I think was suppose to be exactly the RIGHT reaction.
    5) Snape... Rickman gets better with every HP film - is that possible?
    6) Lucius Malfoy... Deliciously evil, I think is the right way to descript Isaacs. Brilliant casting right from movie 2.
    7) Dumbledore - I agree, finally Dumbledore was Dumbledore of the books.
    8) Luna.

What I would have liked in there, but understand really couldn't have been:

1) The magazine. Possibly one of my favourite parts of the book was Hermione explaining to Ron WHY the banning of the magazine was a good thing.
    2) More Tonks... Having said that Tonk's wasn't quite as I imagined her. I knew this girl at university, Nymph type who dyed her hair black and always had funky coloured streaks in it. She was Tonks for me when I first read the book and to be honest I can't shake that image right at the moment.
    3) More of the twins. They did it quite well it's just... Well the decision to leave the school ALMOST seemed sudden. I think they just needed a little more screentime with their "wares".

Verdict - Best HP film of the lot. But NOT the best adaptation.

Best adaptation - Chamber of Secrets.
    Best stand-alone - Prisoner of Azkaban.
    Best art-house - Prisoner of Azkaban.
  9. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    Fun film. My second favourite after Prisoner of Azkaban. A couple of points:

I'm probably a moron for only *just* noticing this; but I was freaked out by how much the actress playing Ginny Weasley looks like the actress playing Lily Potter. I didn't think it was going to be all Oedipal later on. But I did like she's the other powerful one. Hermione might be the smartest witch of her age, but Harry is hands down the most powerful, so its good he'll have an equal.

Still. Freaked.

Liked Tonks. Not enough of her. Love Luna. Bizarre girl. Hated Umbridge. Was meant to.

Ron's stuff got cut, but Herminone's stuff got cut too, so it all balanced out. Harry got to be angry and whiny and still not be annoying. His snapping at Dumbledore was great. The scenes with Snape were also great; I like that Alan Rickman plays Snape as an overly stern schoolmaster, rather than the petty psychotic tyrant of the books.

I loved that as good as the kids were magic wise in DA Meetings, the adults using magic was scary in their speed and power. I liked that Moody proved why he's such a badass by taking on two of the Death Eaters single handedly and moping the floor with them. Though they obviously filmed a lot more than was shown; hoping for a few deleted scenes set in the Department of Mysteries on the DVD.

The final duel between Dumbledore and Voldemort was great, but was hardly the one sided contest as portrayed in the books. In the book, I never felt Dumbledore was in any danger, he was that good. In the film it was much more of a fight for him, and that's cool.

Ever since the role was recast, I wondered how Michael Gambon would do in that particular scene. Richard Harris' Dumbledore had the capacity to make you feel safe, because you knew that despite being an old man, you didn't want to mess with him. Michael Gambon did very well, but I'll always wonder how differently it might have played out if Richard Harris was still alive. But yes, Gambon has finally gotten the character right.

What I could have done without though: the shots of Voldemort against the stormy sky during the "possession". I half expected Duran Duran to start playing and Voldemort to start dancing.

I'd put money down that the Prophecy will be given more emphasis in the opening of the next film.

A lot was cut, but Order of the Phoenix is the one that you *can* cut down and it not being a bother, unlike Goblet of Fire where I sat there with my friends counting the chapter numbers as they whizzed by. I only missed a couple of things:

1. Lupin and Sirus discussing "James; such a douche" and laughing about it.

2. Umbridge admitting to sending the Dementors and threatening to torture Harry with forbidden magic.

I'll see it again next week I suspect. Starting to regret my policy on waiting for all seven films to be released on DVD before I buy them...

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  10. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    2. Umbridge admitting to sending the Dementors and threatening to torture Harry with forbidden magic.

Wait, wait wait... She did go to use the cruciatus curse on Harry when they try to use the flu network from her office. [face_thinking]
  11. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    The Holiday

I know there's a review of this in here already but I jsut saw it on DVD.

Cute chick flick and not something I'd normally rent, but glad to have seen it. Cameron Diaz isn't a great actor, am reminded of that now, but I enjoyed the others. ALways surprised how attractive I find Jack Black in these sort of films. A fun couple of hours but didn't adore it.

3/5
  12. kahli Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sunday Arvo Suck-Fest Episode 29 July: Basic Instinct II.

LOL.

LOL. LOL. LOL.

I don't quite know what i was expecting, although to be fair I was expecting an abomination. I was not disappointed. Appalling, really. Prof Lupin was the hapless (and ultimately doomed) detecive, although this time the story centred around an analyst that sounded kinda like qui gonn, which I found confusing (not helped by me not being able to get anal/rapist tobias funke out of my head every time they said analyst). In fact the whole thing was a bit of puzzle, not helped by the fact i couldn't understand why they had made it in the first place. As for the end, I'm not sure even now whether qui gonn or sharon stone was actually the killer (although I suspect it was shazz). It looked pretty slick, but that was about it. Also, you won't need to see basic instinct (the original) if you do intend to view it (please don't) because they keep referring back to it anyway.

The whole thing sorta ran sex, murder, investigation investigation, long shots of shazz, more long shots of shazz, oh... the narrative is starting to slip... let's remind the audience we made one that was quite popular 10 years or more ago... chuck in a few more sex scenes and say 'come' a few more times, what was this movie about? oh right, lets kill someone else... yeh that should about do it. Chuck in a flash back sequence to at the end to try and explain/confuse the plot and she'll be apples.

Pathetic.
  13. kahli Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The Simpsons Movie.

Bah. Sne. [face_plain]
  14. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    Sne??

Anyway, two films of possible interest to some of you:

Behind the Mask: The Legend of Leslie Vernon

A student film crew has been contacted by one Leslie Vernon, a man who claims to have died years ago according to his local hometown's legend, when one night 30 years ago the townsfolk, believing the young Leslie to be possessed by the Devil, tore the child from his mothers arms and cast him over the local waterfall to be drowned. Now, Leslie has returned and seeks to gain his revenge on the townsfolk and immortalise himself in the manner of Jason Vorhees, Freddy Kruger and Micahel Myers. The film crew follow him around as he begins to put his plans into motion.

If you love horror movies, this is fun. The idea of a film crew enthusiastically (and somewhat innocently) following around a potential homicidal maniac is brilliantly played, and all the cliches of the genre are on display here. Two things cement it though; Leslie Vernon is actually a sweet, good natured guy, who just feels its his duty to balance the scales by bringing some fear and terror to the world. And in a great minor role, Robert Englund playing the psychologist tracking down Leslie in the mold of Doctor Loomis of the Halloween series.

This film has got it's problems; and the nature of the film means it is essentially a one watch only deal, but it's well made and it's heart is in the right place...and then it gets removed with a post hole digger [face_skull]

Highly recommended.

Dead Man's Shoes

Paddy Considine (better known to you all as DS Andy Wainwright from Hot Fuzz) plays Richard, an ex-soldier who returns to his hometown in the Midlands to get revenge on the men who brutalised his younger brother years before.

A low budget film, described as "Taxi Driver in the Midlands", this was a disturbing little thriller, made more so by the fact that it's one of the Andys playing the psycho here. I could suddenly see why he was a contender for the role of Rorschach in the upcoming Watchmen film.

Well acted, well shot, well written, but not for everyone due to the brutality on display.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  15. NeecH Force Ghost

star 4
    Saw Harry Potter - thought it was great which is good considering I didn't think much of the 5th book. I still had a problem with how a particular character's death is handled. Didn't like it in the book, didn't like it in the movie.

Reading the Half-blood Prince now (finally).
  16. Fampa Jedi Knight

star 3
    As someone who hasn't read any of the books or seen any of the other movies bar the first one, is it worth investing my time?
  17. kahli Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  18. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
  19. casual-jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    The Simpsons Movie.

I LoLed, and LoLed. I was very amused. Instantly remembered why I love this show.

"Sequel???":D

9/10.
  20. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    Probably only of interest to the General, but this is a film worth seeing:

Black Book (Zwartboek).

In 1956, a youngish woman named Ronnie and her pastor husband are on a tour of the Holy Lands. Stopping in at a kibbutz, the woman spies an old friend from the war, Rachel, teaching the local children. They promise to stay in touch as Ronnie leaves, but the encounter has dredged up the bad memories from the war for Rachel, and as she sits by a lake and cries, she remembers her time as a Jewish girl on the run in Occupied Holland, and her time in the Dutch Resistance.

Paul Verhoeven (RoboCop, Starship Troopers) has managed to make something not seen in a while, a rousing World War II adventure with all the tropes and cliches in place but played very well to maximum effect. Rachel's story as a fugitive and resistance fighter is remiscent of Nancy Wake, and the actress playing her likens back to the leading ladies of the golden years of Hollywood, which is what you want for a film set in this period.

As for the adventure, well there's gunfights and chases a plenty; a rescue mission has a brutal gunfight that could have been taken straight from The Dirty Dozen, and there's an escape plan using chocolate that's worthy of MacGyver.

But because it's Verhoeven, there's nudity and gore aplenty, but the last works considering this is a war film.

It's mostly in German, so subtitled.

Highly recommended.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  21. NeecH Force Ghost

star 4
    Finally saw Transformers but I was so pissed that I can't remember most of it... I know I liked it though. :D

Also picked up Hot Fuzz on DVD and truly loved this movie. Hilarious with some very unexpected and shocking moments (Church scene for instance). It surpassed Shawn of the Dead in so many ways as a comedy. Nice twist as well.
  22. RoGuE_StreaK Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yeah that was a bit... yucky.
    I think I empathise too much.
  23. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    Seen Hot Fuzz 4 times now and still haven't seen the church yard scene. Won't probably. oooky
  24. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    Live Free or Die Hard

I was worried about this one, even more so after watching the first three Die Hard films earlier in the week. The original is a classic which coined the phrase "It's Die Hard in a..." to describe action films; nothing like it had been seen before.

I was disdainful when I heard this was being made, but was onboard after having seen the first trailer which frankly, rocked.

But then news started leaking out that the movie was being compromised; traditionally Die Hard films have a high rating, which this one didn't. Other factors like the story and actions scenes being changed and cut didn't help. Then there was that Penny Arcade comic; let's face it, hacking in movies is usually bad.

But, all things considered, I gotta say this was pretty damn good.

Things that don't belong in a Die Hard film:

- Everything with the jet fighter; John McClane shouldn't fight jet fighters.
    - The entire elevator shaft scene; not even the Karl, Colonal Stewart or Mathias could have taken that much punishment.

Things that do belong in a Die Hard film:

- McClane's rant before taking out the helicopter.
    - "Enough of this kung fu ****".
    - All the verbal interplay between McClane and the terrorists.
    - How McClane actually beats Thomas Gabriel in the end; brutal, painful and very in character.

The sidekick Matt was actually decent, I was surprised at how good and not annoying the character was.

Lucy McClane was great; hot and taking the best attitudes of her father and mother in this. She has a line that just shocks Gabriel near the endgame, and she's hardly a damsel in distress.

Poor John McClane doesn't get a lot of respect in this film until the end when Thomas Gabriel starts to realise just what sort of trouble he's in. The look on his face when McClane kills one of his henchmen over the radio is priceless. Props to Timothy Olyphant for his ability to emote fear and horror in this context.

Bruce Willis looks damn good for his age, and he hasn't lost his touch. I joked earlier in the week that if they do a Die Hard 5 the villain should be Hans and Simon's niece, Elsa Gruber, played by Alison Doody. However, I'd happily watch a Die Hard film that had Lucy McClane as the heroine.

Not perfect by any means, there are few holes that could have been filled (McClane's son, for instance), but it's made up for by the idea that McClane won't give up because "he's that guy", essentially the guy who'll do what's needed when no one else can. It's a great and bittersweet scene.

So yeah, Live Free or Die Hard; recommended viewing.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  25. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    I personally didn't regard the movie highly - But I will admit willingly that the encroaching sinus-related headache and the small child kicking the back of my seat every few moments really didn't help me formulate a truely unbiased opinion. [face_thinking]

Rule #1: Never see a movie for the first time when cranky. :p Heh.

One of my biggest qualms with the movie was Asian ninja chick vs SUV. I don't care how much of a ninja you are, you get hit by a vehicle that size at high speed, I expect some broken bones in the very least.

There were some great bits in the movie though (as already outlined by Magnus).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.