main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD At The Movies - Reviews & Critical Musings

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by casual-jedi, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    Hmmm, what can I add about 4.0???

The alley scene made me wanna stand up, hand on my heart, and say...
    "GOD BLESS AMERICAH!!!"
    Perhaps a tad preachey.. just a tad.

Otherwise, fairly acceptable action fare..
    given your suspension of disbelief switch is in the on position.

I give Die Hard: Hackey McHack.. 7/10

2. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Sunday Arvo Suckfest: Sunshine

What the hell was this movie about? About an hour and a half longer than it needed to be. Stuck somewhere between aliens, event horizon and the core - with a dash of zombie/undead thrown in - I seriously have no idea what it was really about. Well, aside from the fact that the sun is dying, these 'scientists' are sent up into space to restart the sun (let's not even go there). So of course everything goes tits up, because these scientists - well, not quite as clever as they think there are, are they. Lucky for them the scientists sent up several years previous were equally clueless (which is where the dead or undead or wizard or whatever dude comes from - I think)...

and then they all get melted by the sun.

Out of 10 I give it a "don't bother"

3. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Rescue Dawn

Featuring Christian "Batman" Bale in the main role of dieter something or other, this movie tells us of the real-life story of the dieter and his unfortunate crashing on his very first mission over laos before the start of the vietnam war in the 60s. Anyway, he gets shot down, and then captured, and then has to escape, which is the guts of the movie.

Not a bad examination of the strength of the human spirit, and worth watching for steve zahn (he does a very good job as a somewhat addled POW), but a little too long and a bit like "harry & Hermione go camping" (for those who have read Harry Potter 7) without Harry, Hermione or magic.

Bale, as usual, does a fantastic job, including transforming himself for a little beefy and kinda hot to emaciated and cringeworthy. The crazy inmates of the POW camp are excellent, as are the guards and their distinctive personalities (keep an eye out for the one who thinks he's bruce lee - chuckles :) ).

Definately one for actual film buffs who go for the story. Pretty good.

4. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    I could see the potential in what Sunshine was going for K...
    But there were just too many silly things in it which were totally beyond the realms of credulity(even in a sci-fi context)... I dunno, like how such tiny tiles were able to keep them safe from the sun... or how long that dude could actually function in that coolant... or how about like, totally the opposite would happen to the sun if it was actually dying... Supernova anyone??? Anyway, I enjoyed the Human drama, and the questions posed.. but the rest of it was just silly.

5/10.

5. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    The Bourne Ultimatum

Went along to the free myspace screening of this tonight @ the Regent. Wow - how hot is Matt Damon? I have to admit I never much fancied him when he was young and blonde, but he is aging well (like wine... or cheese!) Anyway, that aside...

A good Bourne movie. Good enough story, well executed, nice pacing, excellent action sequences. If I have any complaints it would be that all there was not enough action in the last part of the movie. A few of the fights early on excited the audience enough to cheer a bit, and there was even a mass "phoar" at one point.

I liked it. Not the best of the trilogy, but better than many competing efforts. Keeps you guessing (well, me guessing) right up to the end.

8/10. I'd've given it more if jason bourne had've taken his shirt off.

6. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Once

A guy in Dublin busking on the street meets a lonely girl who likes his songs, and together they make new music and push each other to do what they need to do to get their lives back on track.

This is a musical, and if I had a way to make you all see this, I'd use it. Simply put, this is a joyous film and you must see it. Its currently showing at the Palace and the Dendy cinemas.

Get moving.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

7. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Once is actually on my list of "to see" movies. Such good reviews in every place I've read them, but for what amounts to a very routine story. Characters must be amazing.

8. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
  9. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Saw Ratatouille on the weekend also and really didn't love it. Thought the animation was amazing and the characters were good, but got a little bored I guess. Of course I saw it with a 4 year old, who was bored, and kept asking for various foods, amongst a whole lot of other kids who were busy talking about other things, on a day where I wasn't particularly well. Two of my friends have now reported their enthusiasm for it. Either I really just didn't like it as much as their others or I was biased by extranneous circumstance. Will wait for a screening on DVD to decide probably. Honestly I didn't love The Incredibles on first viewing either.

10. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Shortpacked sums up my thoughts.

Quoted for Truth. Thanks for that link, I've been looking for that comic as it's an effective catch all to throw up concerning Pixar.

Hoping to see Ratatouille later in the week.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

11. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I also saw Ratatouille and I thought it was great.

12. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    I liked ratatootoo, but thought it was a little long. Coulda been 30min shorter.

Came home and asked brody and hooper to make me something to eat. They ignored me. Stupid rats.

13. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Ha. Poor Brody and Hooper. Laughing because I'm imagining you actually doing that kahls. As if they'd tell you if they could though.

14. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Saw Die hard 4 last week, was gr8 :D fast paced, full of explosions, people getting shot, corny funny lines, everything i wanted in a die hard film :)

seeing superbad 2moro, looks good

15. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Evan Almighty

Ok, I've not actually seen bruce almighty, so I can't comment on the 'franchise', but despite my reservations, this one wasn't bad.

Fairly typical fare, hollywood-style, a few funny moments, steve carell wasn't as annyoing as he can be, and a nice end. Check it out for cheap tuesday if you're looking for some brain popcorn.

16. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Magnus Darcrider's One Sentence Review of Stardust While He Takes A Break From Studying (in lieu of a more comprehensive review being put up in a couple of days time):

Stardust is The Princess Bride for the current generation - a wonderful and highly recommended Tale of True Love and High Adventure.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

17. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Morgan Aleghieri's one word review for Stardust.

Fabulous. :p

Now, to IMDB so I can figure out who the hell Septimus was. [face_thinking]

18. o__O

o__O Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2007
    Add my name to the ones who loved it :)

Great mix of adventure, great characters, magic and Robert Deniro (Who was absolutely hilarious [face_laugh] )

Go see it everyone :)

19. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Saw it last night and really enjoyed it.
    I understand the Princess Bride correlation. But it'd have to be an EXCEPTIONAL film to meet those standards. I enjoyed the time in fantasy land. GOod to actually BE in fantasy land inside a cinema for a change. Seeing it at the Regent was magical in itself, and with CJ for company, magic was always going to be given a fair chance of existing for a couple of hours. Maybe not as in love with the film as my film buddy was, but really liked it. I might just be a bit too cynical for the beautiful fairy tales these days. :)

Will be happy to see it again though.
    (perhaps this time without the Ruprecht "not mother" reference that made us giggle sporadically for the rest of the movie. And without an afternoon of alcohol too )

20. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Robert De Niro was the highlight of Stardust. I'd go and see it again just for the sky pirates.

21. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Stardust...
    One For The True Believers

Once in a while, this moderately jaded twenty-something will stumble into a darkened room.. and be transported to an ethereal place, where every emotion hits the ole solar plexus with the bite of the first time. Still sitting, still watching, aware that it is a movie... but wait, is that a tear? Is it happiness, and sadness true?? Is that a profound connection to the film's message??? Yes, yes, and ever-so-wonderfully YES!!! Even the fact that my expectations were sufficiently lowered, by a certain friend's errant comparison of Stardust, to a certain Dragon-Rider movie, never really came into play.:p

Sufficed to say that my feeble expectations were exponentially exceeded, as this epic tale of True Love Found took to it's delightful flight. Where does one even begin to describe the parts of such a story of adventure? Especially one so enamoured by every part of said film's brilliant glow. The answer is, that it is best that I don't. Indeed the only thing I have to say, is that.. If you still believe.. despite the times in which we live.. despite the torrent of pain that may have flowed under that bridge.. Then watch this stellar shining beacon of a film.. Stardust. Food for the soul of the True Believers.

=D= :) =D= 9.5/10.

PS:- Been an awesome month actually, as Ratatouille, was indeed fantastic... and is my favourite animated film since Aladdin.

22. o__O

Sep 21, 2007
    Saw Superbad today. Fraking hilarious :)

While it is a "gross out teen comedy" its also surprisingly touching and mature in a lot of ways.

23. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Seen parts of superbad. Would watch the whole thing as not a bad pirate camcorder thing. Hanging out for rush hour 3, but not expecting much

24. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
  25. o__O

Sep 21, 2007
    Finally saw 2 movies i've been meaning to see in years.

Napoleon Dynamite - wasn't sure what to exact but i was quite pleased. It's definitely not your run of the mill comedy, has a unique style of humour that i'm partial to. while most of the characters are so obviously meant to be boring prople they were written brilliantly :)

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - haha, i wish i had seen this eyars ago. i loved every minute of it, can see myself seeing this multiple more times. skipping school never looked so fun, and boy I'm good at that :) i loved it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.