At the Stroke of Midnight

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Daphne, Jun 28, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin's Angel Jedi Master

star 4

Oh, poor Jemmy! Wonderful, Daphne...if not a bit sad. I love Jemmiah's conflicting thoughts, she wants him...wants him to be happy...is jealous..and happy for him. Very real.

aa :D
  2. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I like being spoiled every now and again! Feel free to indulge us some more Daphne!

Poor Obi. Poor Jemmy. The course of true love never did run smoothly with these two, even if they ARE perfect for each other as Anakin's Angel said.
  3. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Poor Obi, poor Corrine, poor Jemmiah. This is driving me crazy. No matter what happens someone gets a broken heart.

Still I can't help but want to see Jemmy and Obi together. I hope Corrine will straighten Jemmiah out.
  4. Calamity Jinn Jedi Master

star 4

Why do love triangles always keep us enthralled? MORE PLEASE Daphne. This is just a wonderful story.

I agree Healer Leona, someone's going to be hurt. But if Obi loves Jemmy and Jemmy loves Obi, PLEASE LET THEM BE HAPPY!!!!!!! (I do like happy endings.)
  5. maramijade Jedi Master

star 4
    ohhhh every one's getting the wrong impression when nothing actually happened. . . argh!

Oh well I guess it cacthes up for the times otherwise. . .

Jemmy NO!

6. Daphne Jedi Knight

star 3
    At the stroke of midnight - part thirty two

Disclaimer: Not mine, don't sue.

------------

Corrine turned over in bed, sleepily snuggling into the warm body beside her. Only slowly did she process the fact that she had been alone in bed when she last closed her eyes. *Obi?* Peeking through a half-opened eyelid, she smiled, content. She couldn't remember exactly when this little development had come about, but she wasn't about to kick him out of her bed. Only when Obi-Wan wrapped his arm around her did she jump - his soft whisper of a name wasn't hers. "Jemmy."

--------------

Qui-Gon Jinn paced the floor like a caged animal. All he asked was that Obi-Wan be back at the Temple in time to see the healers. *Couldn't he manage that?* It was noonhour and still no sign of his apprentice. Even An-Paj was beginning to crack a few jokes about Obi-Wan - the young Jedi was many things, but prompt had never been one of them.

Finally giving in to frustration, the Jedi Master decided to contact his padawan. There were really only two places he could be - the fact that he had already seen Jemmiah and Meri today ruled out one of them. Shaking his head at the foolishness of it all, Qui-Gon marched upstairs to his quarters and accessed the holo phone code for Corrine Valorum.

Qui-Gon had almost given up when the connection was made on the thrid ring. The holo screen flickered to life, and the Jedi had to bit back a very undiplomatic comment by reminding himself that whatever his padawan's condition, she was still the Chancellor's daughter.

"Good day, Lady Valorum."

The woman on the screen smiled her half smile and wrapped a robe more snugly around her before answering. That wasn't what disturbed the Jedi Master, though. That honor went to the scene behind her, the one of his apprentice sleeping on her bed. *Cool it Jinn. Just because you liked the idea of Jemmiah and Obi-Wan together, doesn't mean they do.*

"Good day, Master Jinn."

"Obi-Wan was late returning this morning. I was concerned."

"No need to be concerned. I'll wake him up and send him on his way."

"My thanks...."

"Are not needed. Just take care of him."

Qui-Gon nodded. His mind repeated his new mantra over and over again. *You will not interfere.*

Corrine turned away from the darkened screen, not bothering to hide the sad frown creeping across her features. Crossing the room, she shook the Jedi lightly by the shoulder until a pair of blue-gray eyes stared up at her.

"G'morning."

"Good morning. Now get up."

"Why should I?"

"Because it's noonhour and your master is waiting for you."

Closing his eyes, Obi-Wan looked ready to succomb to sleep yet again. *Hangover.* "And because you have to talk to Jemmy. Now wake up."

Opening just one eye, he looked up at her drowsily. "Why would I want to talk to her? I'd rather stay here with you."

Corrine didn't say a word. The only thought in her mind couldn't be said, but she couldn't keep herself from thinking it. *And that's why you always say her name instead of mine?*

7. Anakin's Angel Jedi Master

star 4

*sigh* Why does Obi always make things harder for himself?! Must be his thing...! ;P MORE!!!

8. Calamity Jinn Jedi Master

star 4

Oh, how in the galaxy are you going to get out of this Obi?!!!

Can't wait to find out what you're going to do next Daphne!
  9. maramijade Jedi Master

star 4
    ::shakes head:: Ohhhh Obi, just go and see the healers. . .
  10. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    He's going to need to see the healers by the time Qui-Gon's caught up with him. And not just for being late...

He will not interfere, eh? I don't think so somehow!
  11. Daphne Jedi Knight

star 3
    At the stroke of midnight - part thirty three

------------

Corrine paced the room. Missing the vote hadn't even taken a second thought. But now, she knew, she just couldn't stay here, with her father, while the Republic fell apart. The vote had passed, but by such a slim margin that the politician she had been trained to be new the score - new laws would be written, but nothing would change. That was becoming the typical turn of events, and she didn't want to stand around and smile at the crowd while it happened.

"Lady Valorum?"

Turning at the nasal sound of the silver-toned droid behind her, Corrine ignored the weight of her formal gown and the slight throbbing from a night of loud music and a smoky cantina.

"Yes?"

"Your father requests your presence."

Nodding, she sent the droid away. Her father was the last person she felt like speaking to at that moment. *He still hasn't apologized to Jemmy.*

Sighing, she smoothed down a stray lock of red hair, she steeled herself. Her decision was what was best for her, but more importantly, she knew it would be best for Obi-Wan.

-----------------------

"You're doing much better, Padawan Kenobi."

"But?"

An-Paj sighed. There were serious dangers with patients knowing him too well, particularly this one. Keeping secrets became impossible. "But your connection to the force is disturbing. I want to send you to see a mind healer."

The way the young man cleched his teeth, An-Paj didn't need any type of force to tell him what the Jedi thought ot *that* idea. "Humor us. Your master concurs. You need some help. Take it."

"Yes master healer."

An-Paj was under no illusions. That tone of voice was the same one his master used when he was about to agree with the Council.... and do something different entirely.

--------------------

"Jemmy, are you sure?"

"I like it, don't you."

"I'm not saying it's not nice, but just.... you know, you can stay with us as long as you want."

"I know Meri, but it's time for me to be on my own."

Meri shook her head, and set another box down. Moving Jemmiah's clothing and belongings from the Temple and the Chancellor's mansion had taken all day. It had been comfortable, except for the moment when they had overheard Corrine exchanging loud words with her father. They had packed Jemmiah's things quickly, and left.

"If you're sure....."

"I am. I just need to get away from Ben."

"And Corrine?"

Jemmiah didn't answer. She just stared out the window at the misty air billowing outside.

----------------

"Master, An-Paj said I'm alright."

"But?"

*grumbles*

"What was that, padawan?"

"I have to see a mind healer."

"Good."

"Master?"

"Maybe you can discuss these."

Obi-Wan glanced at the Jedi Master holding up a slip. *Corrine's.... oh no.....*

"Either you disobeyed me.... or you're cross-dressing."

"Corrine stayed while you were on vacation, Master."

"Uh-huh. Are you sure this isn't yours?"

"Yes, master."

"Good. I expected you to have her over, I'm not sure I'd be ready to hear about my padawan wearing a slip."

"Master!"
  12. Calamity Jinn Jedi Master

star 4

A post that had me feeling sad and then chuckling at the end!

Is Obi about to lose both of them?

And Obi cross dressing! He, he ......
  13. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Excellent Daphne. Especially An-Paj notice of the tone Obi-Wan used to agree with him.

Stunning writing.
  14. Anakin's Angel Jedi Master

star 4

I'd have to agree! That last part was a hoot! :D

15. maramijade Jedi Master

star 4
    Yub yub. . .

come on Qui gon, you know you'd like it . . . .j/k

16. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I bet Qui-Gon's wondering if those stockings from the cantina all those years back really were Jay Abrans! LOL!

Oh, Jemmy. Moving into your own place when there's still a madman after you doesn't strike me as the most sensible thing to do...
  17. Daphne Jedi Knight

star 3
    *deep breath* This is the last post, so grab your popcorn and enjoy.

At the stroke of midnight - part thirty four

----------------

Obi-Wan didn't even look up at Meri entered the room.

"Obi-Wan?"

His head snapped up, flipping his braid forward, and Meri resisted the urge to revert to childhood jokes and use the strand as a leash - her purpose was too serious to do otherwise.

"Meri, I was just going to call over."

Helping herself to the seat across from him, she couldn't help but notice how he chose to sit alone in the dining hall. "To talk to Jemmy, no doubt."

"Well, it's not that you aren't charming in your own right, but yeah."

"She's not there."

The look in her eyes told him her true meaning. Jemmiah hadn't just stepped out for a bit of light and a walk. "Where?"

"I.... I promised her Obi-Wan."

"Why?"

"She doesn't want to see you right now. She meant it. She won't marry you, and she won't patch things back up."

Shielding his head momentarily in his hands, Obi-Wan slowly shook his head. "It just doesn't make sense. I love her, and I thought she loved me."

Meri let a hand sneak across the table to hold his, a gesture of comfort from one friend to another. "She does, but it's just not meant to be." Catching his eye, she saw the acceptance filter through his mind, until it was visible in his eyes.

"Then why does it hurt so much?"

"Because I think you are both the best of friends. Not many people are willing to sacrifice so much for another."

"I love her."

"I know. But you'll love someone else someday too."

Obi-Wan couldn't help the sudden vision of Corrine that flashed through his mind. *I already love someone else. But Jemmy, with Rufus still out there.....*

"Where is she?"

"Promise you'll stay out of sight?"

"On my honor as a Jedi."

The solemn words loosened Meri's tongue, knowing Obi-Wan had a strenous security check in mind. Feeling along his strengthening force connection, she saw a vision of an armed guard discretely following Jemmiah.

"Just don't go overboard."

"What, me? Never."

Obi-Wan walked away, making plans to assure Jemmiah's safety and make amends to Corrine. *What is it that Master Jinn said? Today is the first day of the rest of my life.*

--------------------

Jemmiah leaned back against the counter in the kitchen and smiled for the first time in days. Maye things weren't looking up, maybe she was alone, maybe she had lost him forever, but someday, someday, she would find her best friend again and she and Obi-Wan could carry on, forgetting about this whole marrige proposal and the memories of their kidnapping. She would sleep tonight and dream of someday.

----------------

"My Lady?"

"Alderaan, please."

"Of course."

Corrine shrugged off the appraising glance of the porter at the entrance ramp as she stepped aboard the ship. Escaping Coruscant was paramount. Obi-Wan had made his choice, and she knew he would never free his mind of guilt over their relationship with her always nearby.

Gods only knew her father had been happy to get the voice of his conscience out of the house. Corrine didn't like to apply the word nag to herself, but she knew she was acting like one. The look, the one of Obi-Wan's face and Jemmiah's had turned her from a politician to an activist, and more than once her father had ordered her silence when she addressed his advisors, for they were no longer the polite tiptoeing comments of yesterday.

*If only it didn't hurt so much.....*

Her heart felt like it was tearing in two. She would be the first to admit, she hadn't told him how she truly felt, but she hadn't realized it for herself until she had seen him, kneeling there in the dirt, watching that.... ogre point a blaster at his forehead. Then she had seen how awful her life would be without him.

*Maybe this way, we can meet again someday.*

-------------

And somewhere in the galaxy, the clock struck midnight again, and a new day began.

------------------

THE END

Note:
  18. Eryce Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh my. WHat a sad ending. I hate sad endings. *sniff*
  19. Anakin's Angel Jedi Master

star 4

:sniff: That WAS sad...! Eagerly awaiting the sequel now...!

20. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, personally I like sad endings from time to time!

I'm also awaiting the sequel.

Great story Daphne.
  21. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Maybe I'm dense or something but when I read this was the last post I couldn't help but sit up exclaiming a rather loud "WHAT?"

Exquisitely painful end Daphne. It's a relief there's a sequel on the way, one I hope will illicit as many tears of happiness as this one did of sadness.

22. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    That was so sad! Please hurry with the sequel. I really want something happy to happen to Obi and Jemmy. They deserve it!
  23. Latara Jedi Knight

star 1
    That was SOOOOOOOOO Good! But SOOOOOOOOO sad. you're going fix everything and make them happy in the end, right? please? :)
  24. Calamity Jinn Jedi Master

star 4

Beautifully written to the end. This was one of my favourite stories.

I'll add my voice to the growing numbers. Please carry on with the sequel SOON!!!!
  25. maramijade Jedi Master

star 4
    So Daphne, You are going to send me a copy so I can post it on my fan fic site now won't you?

I loved it I loved it. . . and YES A SEQUAL WOULD BE HEVENLY!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.