main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

At the Stroke of Midnight

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Daphne, Jun 28, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin's Angel

Anakin's Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2000

Oh, sniff! Poor Obi-Wan! He doesn't DIE does he? I just can't imagine Jemmy and Obi not together...they are so...so...perfect, I guess!!

MORE!!!!

aa :D

2. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Did I hear something about you posting the next part tomorrow? Ohhhhhhh goodie!

Poor old Obi, we just love to put him through the grinder!

3. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

Noooooooo!!! He can't die!!!!!! And he definately belongs with Jemmy!

(Okay, got it out of my system now!)

That was a great post Daphne! Love the way the characters interact!

4. Daphne

Daphne Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2000
    At the stroke of midnight - part fourteen

Disclaimer: Not mine, don't sue.

--------------------------------------

Two days. Jemmiah wrung her hands and wondered if it was possible to die of worry. Two days and she hadn't been able to see.. Two days of An-Paj allowing Master Jinn a few moments with Ben. Two day. Every time he came back out, he would just shake his head. Two days.

Jemmiah glanced around the room, wondering when her Ben's friends had arrived, wondering when Master Arieh had dragged Meri away, wondering if they could ever forgive her.

Few had disturbed her silent vigil in the waiting room. An-Paj had suggested, still suggested, that she sleep, but Jemmiah ignored him, not quite ready to face the nightmares she knew would be returning to her. Corrine had relayed several messages from her father, and Jemmiah knew eventually she would have to talk to him. She wasn't ready for that. The only comfort she took in her silence was that Master Jinn sat next to her, just as silent, just as sleepless, and just as forlorn.

-------------------------------------

Bribing the guard had been easy.

Killing him had been easier. No witnesses gave him more time to act. True, it had been a while since he had done his own dirty work, but it wasn't as if he wouldn't or couldn't do it. Conscience had never been a problem for him, and it wasn't about to kick in now.

Now on the streets on Coruscant, Rufus Meridan could see the spires of the Jedi Temple rising in the distance. The image of the young woman protecting the Jedi mixed with the image of a small girl hiding behind a Jedi's cloak. Yes, this would be poetic justice. She deserved it, and he wanted what was his.

-------------------------------------

The darkness was swilring around him. In the distance, he could see the light, but he was paralyzed by emotion. Unable to decide which direction to travel. Then the nightmares came to plague his unconscious.

Reaching for his saber and finding nothing.

His Master's voice. *A true Jedi is always connected to the Force and their saber. It is essential to serving others.*

The council cutting his braid. *Unfit this one is. Not act as a Jedi did he. Not protect the innocent did he.*

*You little Jedi wannabe!*

*They hurt her and you didn't stop them.*

And still the darkness and the light battled within his mind and still the nightmares came.

5. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

I knew that little *&$£!?* would manage to escape!

Come on Obi! You can do it! (Poor Jemmy & Qui-Gon!)

6. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Oh dear!

BIG TROUBLE HERE FOR JEMMY AND OBI!

Another great post Daphne!

7. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    look out Jemmy here comes Rufus,

and no Obi, you did not betray her, you did all that was jediily posible

8. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    This is going UP UP UP!

9. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Back up with you! (Just greedy & looking for more!)

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Jemmy's angst, the picture of her and Qui-Gon sitting together, silent, very vivid indeed .

Exceptional post Daphne.

Rufus, now again at large, terrific miseries still lay on the horizon.

Post soon to feed the need!!

11. Daphne

Jun 28, 2000
    At the stroke of midnight - part fifteen

---------------------------------

Developing a plan was bound to take some time. He just didn't have any. Of course, he had heard stories about a man who could penetrate the hallowed Jedi Temple, for a price. It had seemed pointless to hire him before, he had wanted the satisfaction of working with just his own men. Now, it seemed like a better idea.

Negotiations had been slow. The man wanted more credits than he was willing to pay - right up until he had mentioned names. Then the man had stood, ranting, asking him if he was interested in signing his own death warrant now, or perhaps just shooting himself in the foot and jumping in front of a stampeding bantha.

Rufus had thought he would be left to his own devices until the man rose, threw some Jedi garb at him and told him to go and get himself killed.

-----------------------------

An-Paj slid the needle into the padawan's clenched arm muscles, hoping the relaxant had some effect. Shaking his head, the healer wondered what nightmares could be plaging the boy so badly that...... *You probably don't want to know.*

Ever since he'd imposed a rescriction on visitor's the blue-skinned healer had felt like a sith. Keeping Jemmiah and Qui-Gon from his side was taking more energy than he felt like expending, and now that he's sent Alex home to sleep, shower, and eat he was having twice as hard of a time. *Persistant. Those two are nothing if not persistant.* Of course, the red-head the joined them at various intervals wasn't much better. He hadn't quite made it to thinking of her as Kenobi's girlfriend, and he wasn't sure if he wanted to. She just didn't seem like a chronic visitor to the healers - you had to be to keep up with Kenobi.

Sighing the healer focused on his patient. Not once in nearly three days had the young man stirred. Oh, his heart raced, his muscles tensed, and his breath came faster - it was obvious some sort of nightmare plagued his rest, but still his condition did not improve.

The broken ribs, the ruptured organs, the blood loss, the healers had tried their best to fix it all, but now, now the healing had to be done from within. Knowing there was little else that could be done, the master healer decided it might be best ot let the visitors take the vigil. If his state persisted much longer, all hope might be lost.

----------------------------------

The white sheets looked startling against his pale skin. Jemmiah stood, unmoving in the doorway as Qui-Gon took his customary seat next to his apprentice. She watched as he lifted one hand and placed it in his own. Crossing the room, Jemmiah reached up and softly brushed a piece of hair from his forehead. The heat radiating from his skin startled her and she pulled back.

Catching the Jedi Master's eye as he nodded at her, Jemmiah pulled the other chair towards the bed and sat lightly there - holding his other hand carefully, and leaning her cheek into his touch. *Please Ben. After all this, you have to be alright.*

12. Anakin's Angel

May 3, 2000

C'mon, Qui! Kick his stupid, sithly arse!!! Nice post, as always!!

13. Anakin's Angel

May 3, 2000

C'mon, Qui! Kick his stupid, sithly arse!!! Nice post, as always!!

14. Eryce

Eryce Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2000
    *sniff*

Please, mam... can I have some more?

15. maramijade

Feb 17, 2000
    awwww poor obi, his mare's of night are haunting him. . . awwwww

16. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Oh, we need more!!!

17. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Yes, MORE PLEASE Daphne!!!!!

18. maramijade

Feb 17, 2000
    Yeah daphne more

19. Daphne

Jun 28, 2000
    Upping this so I can find it later.

I am finishing/polishing my next post currently.

20. Kresa Rei'de

Kresa Rei'de Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 1999
    Oh, hurry please!!

21. Daphne

Jun 28, 2000
    This one isn't up to my usually high standards. I am only remotely satisfied with half of it, so part 1 will go up tonight, and I'll give my best try to the second half of part sixteen and part seventeen tomorrow.

Blah! Iffy award time!

------------------------------

At the stroke of midnight - part sixteen (1/2)

-------------------------------

The flutter of two eyelids marked the end of silent staring in the Kenobi ward. Qui-Gon was already talking to his padawan through their training bond before he even had a chance to process where *here* was, Jemmiah had to settle for squeezing his hand while trying not to crush it.

"Jemmy.... I..... I'm s....sorry."

The small rasps of air coming from his lungs nearly hid the words, and the drop of blood she nearly flinched at the effort it took him to utter them. Before she could really form an answer, his eyes closed softly. Looking to Master Jinn in fear, she hoped he would have something comforting to say - she hoped the Jedi could still sense his apprentice through the force, because, although she wasn't certain, it looked an awful lot like Obi-Wan wouldn't wake again.

----------------------------

Figuring out exactly how the Jedi stuff was supposed to look wasn't hard, making it look that way was impossible. Rufus was almost ready to admit that clothes like that just weren't made for a man like him. Settling for his usualy black monotone fashion statement, he settled for "Jedi" by drawing the dark brown clock on over him.

He would wait, and make his way inside the Temple under the cover of night. His contact had been a little more forthcoming, after the man made it clear that the only way he would fight Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi was if he had a fatal illness and under 20 minutes to live. Just draw up the hood, and keep a slow measured pace. That was usually enough to get through the door. The directions to the Jedi hospital they had inside were tucked in the folds of the Jedi cloak. Surely they had taken the boy there.

-------------------------------

Corrine hadn't moved from the spot on the balcony since evening meal. Meri had abandoned her only a standard earlier, claiming that she wanted to see Obi-Wan one more time before she went home. The girl couldn't hold it against her friend. Seeing Obi-Wan, well, everyone wanted to do that. Go home? Corrine would have jumped at the chance, except she couldn't. No one prevented her from doing it, just the knowledge that Jemmy had been here for days now, and father hadn't come once.

"Credit for your thoughts?"

"You'd be overpaying."

"Let me decide that."

"How is he?"

"The same. Hasn't woke up again. An-Paj thinks it might be a lost cause."

"You okay?"

"Should I be. I'm going to cost a good man, someone I loved, someone I still love, his life. I'm not worth that."

"You are. More than the rest of us. I couldn't have survived the life you've lived."

"And I couldn't have yours."

Somehow the silence seemed comfortable. When they finally left the Temple, the two girls knew that their relationship was going to change forever. Now, today, they could simply be friends - alternating between avoidance and awkwardness to depression and soul-searching. Corrine wondered every once in a while what could have happened between her two friends., Jemmiah wondered if she still had a place with either Obi-Wan or Corrine after all that had passed.

"You know, you have a lot more right to be in there than I do."

"But your guilt keeps you in there, and mine keeps me out here."

"Why feel guilty?"

"I don't know, why not?"

Silence again.

"Jemmy, do you ever wonder what would happen if you did things over again?"

"Often. I would gladly have stayed on Nagotria if I knew then what I know now. 31 people would still be alive, and Ben wouldn't be dying now."

"Such major changes."

"Your's aren't?"

"No. I would change 1 tiny thing."

"What?"

"I would have kept him in bed instead of letting him answer the door and get father's i

22. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    OK. What was so darned iffy about that? I don't see it!

And incase you were wondering, we all want to know what's going to happen next! Is Rufus going after Obi-Wan because he thinks he's an easy target or will he think that with Qui-Gon there he's better off trying to get Jemmy?

MORE PLEASE!!!

23. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

I agree with Jemmiah. I can't see anything iffy about that at all!

I hope whatever Qui-Gon said to him through their bond helps him to heal!

Looking forward to the next one!

24. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    There are so many hurting here I don't know who I feel worse for.

Daphne, got to agree with the sassy siblings above. Your post would be disqwualified in the iffy awards.

25. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Sassy siblings! That's hitting the nail on the head Leona!

Please give us more Daphne. Poor Obi! Poor Jemmy! Please make them happy again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.