At the Stroke of Midnight

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Daphne, Jun 28, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Just an upper. Can't help but hope for more.
  2. maramijade Jedi Master

star 4
  3. Kresa Rei'de Jedi Knight

star 2
  4. Daphne Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hmmmm... I guess when I need my compliments for the day, I'll just read the replies to this thread. My readers are just too good to me =)

Anyways, no update today, but a big one tomorrow.
  5. maramijade Jedi Master

star 4
    oh come come we need one today, or atleast tonight. . .
  6. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Daphne? Pleeeeeeease?

Obi's string has fallen off and he's at a bit of a "loose end" after my birthday.

Let's tie him up with a new post!
  7. Daphne Jedi Knight

star 3
    I promised a nice big post today, and here it is.

Enjoy!

At the stroke of midnight - part twenty one

Disclaimer: Not mine, don't sue.

--------------------

"What do you mean he's not here?!?"

"I mean he's not here."

"He couldn't have just walked off!"

Dryly. "Are we talking about the same person?"

"He could barely sit up!"

New Voice. "He has friends in low places."

"Meri?"

"Who else."

Sigh.

Cough.

Nod.

"Let's go."

------------------------

The dust clouded her lungs. The fact that her skin was rapidly taking on the same brown as her tunics told a story - a story of a very unhappy Jedi padawan.

"Obi, we've talked to every slimeball this side of Kessel. She's not here."

Meri shook her head slowly. The dark circles under his eyes still bothered her, but worse was the palor of his skin, even under the glaring sun Obi-Wan Kenobi maintained the deathly color he had obtained during his last visit with Mr. Meridan. "Obi, no more today. You need to rest."

"I'm fine."

"SIth you are! I can feel it!"

Meri sensed a strengthening of his shields as she grabbed him by the arm and began the trek back to their shuttle. This was the tenth planet in as many days. All they had to go on were hunches and guestimates. *If* Rufus Meridan planned to rebuild his colony and his business, he would need to deal in slaves. The only problem? Not one single slaver this side of Kessel had seen Rufus Meridan in ten years, and no one had heard of a Correlian girl. Several people *had* offered to buy the girl once they saw her holo, but Obi-Wan ended those thought with a nod to his saber.

The shuttle seemed so blasted far away, but Meri was glad that he had listened today. Yesterday they had been on some hideous swampy place filled with smugglers and spicers. By the time Obi had decided to quit on his own, he had been too weak to make it back to the shuttle. *I'm certainly not levitating him back again.*

-------------------------

"What about the girl?"

"What about her?"

"The boss said not to do anything with her until he came back with the other girls."

Brushing the dirt from his hands the larger man glared at his associate. "Look. I just spent a standard with my men building this little resort for his clients. I plan on sampling the goods."

"Mr. Meridan will not be happy."

"Do I look like I care?"

"No, but I do."

Both men turned, startled by the intrusion. "Mr. Meridan, I didn't hear you come in."

"I could tell."

Frowning, the newcomer drew a blaster from beneath his black jacket and fired, striking the other man square in the chest. "He didn't listen. I hate it when people don't listen." Crossing the room, he glanced at the small accountant still standing guard over his keys. "You followed orders. You live. Understand?"

"Yes sir."

"Then go."

Leaning forward on his desk, Rufus rested his elbows against the polished surface. Ten days. For ten days he had traveled under an assumed name buying slaves for his new *resort*. This time, he would stick to the plan. This time there weren't any pesky Jedi left to spoil his plan.

-------------------

"Meri!"

"No. You need a doctor."

"I need to find her."

"They'll be worried."

"I don't care."

"One more stop."

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"For Jemmy?"

"Sith! Fine!"

The spaceport looked the same as all the others. Dirty, dusty, stale. The crowd might have been the exact same assortment she had seen a dozen times before - with the mix of uniforms and species milling about the spaceships, it was hard to tell. She watched, face guarded as Obi-Wan disappeared into the crowd, reaching out with the force, keeping her senses alert for danger.

The brown tunics were easy to follow through the crowd, and Meri trailed at a safe distance, one hand resting on her saber. Once today, he had faltered, and only her surveillance had allowed her to catch him before he fell. *I should never have let him do this.*

The constant probing of her shields, told her that her Master, and perhaps o
  8. JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ohhh she is going to be in SUCH a sith load of trouble. So is Obi-Wan. When the Master's catch them that is. *G*
  9. Calamity Jinn Jedi Master

star 4

Blissfully happy! Thanks for posting Daphne!

Let's hope the Masters catch up with Obi & Meri soon, and then they all catch up with Rufus!

Hang in there Jemmy!
  10. maramijade Jedi Master

star 4
    more fun if they don't cacth up with each other until they hit Rufus, one group from each side. . . HEhehehehehehe
  11. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Little slime. Rufus, be glad your not allowing anyone to touch the merchandise.

By the time Obi finds her, Jemmiah may very well be saving his life.
  12. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    This would be the point where the dramatic music kicks in...

Yeah! You go get her, Obi! Don't let any of the others stop you. I'm just wondering who's in the rearguard rescue party, other than Qui and Alex.

Be careful guys, whoever you are. When backed into a corner Rufus has a nasty habit of shooting his way out.

MORE PLEASE!
  13. Latara Jedi Knight

star 1
  14. Daphne Jedi Knight

star 3
    At the stroke of midnight - part twenty two.

-----------------

Meri rested her hand on Obi-Wan's arm. The small gesture both guaranteed their privacy and kept some of the more unsavory characters at bay. *If Sifa knew I was keeping us safe by playing his girl, she'd never let me live it down.*

"What did you find?"

"A man was here a few days ago. He bought twenty girls. The Wookie thought he sounded like the man I was looking for."

"That's all you've got."

"I've got a name. The seller delivered the girls. If we talk to him, we'll know where to find Rufus Meridan."

"And Jemmiah."

"I hope so Mer."

-------------------

Qui-Gon relaxed slightly. The feelings projected from his apprentice were getting stronger. A nod from Alex told him that the other master could feel it too - they wre getting closer.

"There?"

Alex closed his eyes, focusing on the concentrated point in the force that marked his padawan. "No, Meri still feels too far. They're in the next system." He dark haired master paused, before asking the question. "You can't feel it?"

If Qui-Gon was disturbed, he wasn't going to show it. "No, but then Obi-Wan is so weak, I wouldn't expect to."

Nodding the Jedi allowed the master is silent excuse. Alex only hoped it was the truth. If Obi-Wan hadn't made it, he didn't want to know the condition he'd find his own apprentice in.

The soft sound of feet padding across the metal gridwork allerted the Jedi to their visitor. "It's my watch."

Alex exchanged looks with Qui-Gon. "Go ahead. We can manage without you."

The aged master shook his head. If Obi-Wan was out there, searching for a villian, and in danger, he didn't think he could rest.

"Go Master Jinn. I *can* navigate."

Knowing he was beaten, Qui-Gon stepped around the third party, ducking into his cabin to sleep. Guilt and regret his only company.

-----------------

"What can I do for you, sir?"

Meri ignored the slight to her, keeping her eyes on Obi-Wan. He was showing his pain and fatigue more every day, but he kept on. Pushing himself harder and harder - it was as if he could sense the trail growing hot.

"I need to see D'nai."

The greasy alien holding court over the small shop shook his head vehemently. "Oh no, Mr. D'nai does not see visitors. I, however, would be happy to be of service."

Meri could feel Obi-Wan reaching out with the force, trying to sense the proper response. The weak and confused projections seemed so sad to her, her best friend, unable to control the force through his pain. Lending herself to his efforts, she felt his hand squeeze her arm in acknowledgement.

Obi-Wan's voice sounded confident when he finally spoke, but Meri could sense his doubt. "Alright then, what do you have to offer?"

The deep voice coming from the small scaley creature seemed unfit to his size, as did the patch of hair covering the alien's head. "I have a little of everything. What kind of.... services do you require?"

Meri felt her skin prickle as the *thing* sized her up. The fact that she'd been treated like a piece of meat everywhere she went made her grateful their missions did not involve people like this. Not that she didn't think Alex would protect her, but because she knew he would - vigorously. At least Obi-Wan wouldn't cause a scene, unless it was required.
    Thinking about the way he'd shouted at the dealer on Cevain for looking at her, she remembered feeling useless, until she figured out the hiarchy of the planet.

Her thoughts snapped back to the conversation when she felt Obi-Wan wobble on his feet.

//Should we go?//

//No. He's knows. Just give me time.//

//::glare:://

//I'll be fine.//

Outloud, he was discussing the type of female he hoped to acquire. Finally, the alien ran a claw through his greasy patch of hair and shook his head. "Nothing left like that."

"Nothing left?"

The alien missed the sound of hope in his customer's voice. Obi-Wan knew now, he was close.

"A client purchased a number of girls. All we had fitti
  15. Eryce Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh-oh, Obi sounds like he's gonna fall over flat on his face. Watch him, Meri! But Jemmy's so close by.. *sigh* The things we do for true love...
  16. Daphne Jedi Knight

star 3
    They beg me to post and then don't read?

Up!
  17. Latara Jedi Knight

star 1
    A post! I think Obi needs a cheering section so he doesn't collaspe right on the spot. MORE!
  18. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Excellent! Your almost there Obi! Hurry up Qui, Obi needs you more than he thinks!

MORE DAPHNE!!!!
  19. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm reading too! I LOVE this story. I wonder what Qui's got planned? Obi's not going to be too pleased if his master catches up with him and tells him he's too ill to take part in the rescue!

20. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Obi may not be too pleased but at least Qui-Gon and Alex will be able to offer their support. Sounds like the boy's dead on his feet.
  21. maramijade Jedi Master

star 4
    definitely not Jemmiah. .. . go OBI GO!!! but first go to your ship lay down on the cot and go to sleep. . .
  22. Calamity Jinn Jedi Master

star 4

Oh we're all still here Daphne, just on and reading at different times!

Meri, keep your eye on that boy! He's likely to go 'til he drops!
  23. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    If I were my character, I would make some kind of innuendo at that last comment...

But thankfully I am nothing like her!

UP!
  24. JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master

star 5

I'm reading, I'm reading.
    Post more, you must. *G*
  25. Daphne Jedi Knight

star 3
    At the stroke of midnight - part twenty three

-----------------

"Taigan? Nothing's on Taigan."

"I think that's the point Meri.'

"But nothing?"

"Did you expect him to set up shop next to the Temple?"

"I don't think we ought to go."

"Meri."

"You're not well."

"I'm fine."

The rest of the hop through hyperspace was filled with silence.

------------------------

"How do you think Obi-Wan is holding up?"

Alex stepped back. Somehow the glare his fellow master aimed in his direction wasn't friendly, nor comforting. "Come on now, at least if he's not well, they won't go and charge the gates."

Alex shut his mouth quickly. If the first look was dark, this one was downright sithly. Only the quiet voice beside him kept him from melting into the floor.

"The only way he wouldn't storm the gates is if Meri tied him up."

*Padawan, I hope you tied him to the bed.*

Qui-Gon's drawn voice interrupted his thoughts. "For once Alex, I hope Obi-Wan's broken a leg."

-----------------------

Meri watched as the buildings came into view. The scene was primitive, yet comfortable, like a very wealthy, very old-fashioned township. *Of course, that would be what he would build.* The look in Obi-Wan's eyes was one of intese concentration. His hands were shaky on the throttle, but the landing was smooth and unnoticed.

Of course, the fact that they were nearly a day's journey from the "resort" might have helped with the unnoticed bit.

"Obi, how are we going to get there."

"Walk."

Rolling her eyes, Meri took in the ghastly color of her friend's skin, the way he shook, ever so slightly, at all times, the way he seemed unable to hold himself upright - there was no way he could walk for a day across the small planet. The only problem with that theory was the fact that he was gathering supplies and shutting down the ship.

"Obi-Wan, you can't....."

"Meri, go or stay, I don't care, but I will go for Jemmy."

An hour later, Meri found herself treking across the rolling plains supporting her fellow padawan ever so gently with the force.

----------------------

"Well Miss Gleshan, are you convinced yet?"

The silent stare on her face told him all he needed to know.

"You kill two Jedi and the rest don't exactly run after you, do they?"

Silence.

"And that other girl - the Chancellor's daughter. Tsk tsk tsk. You're going to be everyone's favorite person."

Jemmiah choked back a retort. Days of his taunts had taught her one thing and one thing only. Talking back would not make him go away.

"But you're my favorite person."

Rufus Meridan rose from his usual seat across the room. Today was different, she could feel it. Instead of leaving her to her thoughts, torture enough, he stalked through the distance seperating them. Running his thumb down the curve of her cheek, he ignored the way she flinched away.

"Yes, you're my favorite person, and I think tonight, you should join me."

This time, the closing of the door sounded like a death toll.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.