main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

At the Stroke of Midnight

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Daphne, Jun 28, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daphne

Daphne Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2000
    UP!

Geez, isn't anyone out there?

//Patience!//

"But I don't have any!"

2. Glad is June

Glad is June Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2000
    Yep we're out here keep posting. Please

3. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Don't believe him Jemmy! RUN! as fast as you can run! Get away! Obi is coming for you, you have to believe that.

More Daphne. You can't leave it like that for too long. You MUST post! For the sake of my sanity, POST!!! :D

4. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    Kick him Jemmy you know where. . .

5. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope...

Sorry. Couldn't resist saying it!

I think you know what I'm gonna say next Daphne.

WE NEED MORE!!!

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    "For once Alex, I hope Obi-Wan's broken a leg."

Had to chuckle at that, though doesn't Qui-Gon realize that statement may come back to haunt him, in the worst possible way?

7. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

Ooooh, tension building up again! Another great post Daphne!

More! (Please?)

8. Daphne

Jun 28, 2000
    This post in a collaboration between myself and the wonderful creator of Jemmiah.... Jemmiah herself.

Also, since I start teaching classes on Tuesday, your posts will only appear when 1) I have time and 2) you have commented.

At the stroke of midnight - part twenty four

Disclaimer: Not mine, don't sue.

--------------------

Qui-Gon stared at the ceiling. The thought of sleeping while his padawan was killing himself on his quest for Jemmiah turned his stomach. Closing his eyes the Jedi Master reached out along the thread of the Force, still tying him to his apprentice.

There, beneath the pain that throbbed through their link, he could sense fatigue, exhaustion, and desperation. The feelings unnerved Qui-Gon. Never in his experiences with Obi-Wan Kenobi had he felt those emotions from him. Try to contact the young man, to send soothing feelings and healing energy along their bond, Qui-Gon felt a surge before he lost contact.

"Obi-Wan!"

The Jedi Master rushed down the hallway into the cabin.

"I felt him."

Soon, the two Jedi Masters were busy pouring over the navcomputer directing their companion where to aim the ship. They were close now, both Jedi could sense it, and it wasn't comforting - being close enough to feel pain and too far to help.

"There. Set down over there."

-----------------

The sun sank lower with every step they took. Meri could see her friend flinching with every inch they traveled. *By the force, let him keep going.* Meri could feel her nerves becoming more frazzeled with each moment. Her worry about Obi-Wan was starting to consume her. //Please master, hurry.//

Pausing at the crest of the ridge, Meri watched Obi-Wan sit down heavily. It was almost easy to select the identities of the buildings. Obi-Wan closed his eyes, his face one of intense concentration. Meri had to wonder if somehow he could sense Jemmiah. Waiting until he opened his eyes, she offered a hand. He leaned into it heavily to stand, shedding his cloak - the extra weight was too much for him.

"It feels *wrong* down there Meri. We have to hurry.*

----------------------------------------

Jemmiah's head shot up as the door opened. If the last sounds of the door had been a death toll, this was the door to hell. Rufus stood, proud and pompous between his guards, as if she would have the strength or will to attack him.

She sagged slightly before drawing herself up - too proud to let him know how she felt. *I suppose I deserve this.* Jemmiah thought as she forced her legs to carry her towards Rufus, *I've killed all these people and this is my punishment. Maybe it's like he says. Perhaps it's what I was born for.*

She halted before him; not even bringing herself to make eye contact with the man who for so many years had inhabited her most horrific nightmares. Obi-Wan had always been there to help her with her dark dreams. Talking to her, comforting her, reassuring her?

And look how she had repaid him.

*Yes, I do deserve this.*

----------------------

Alex frowned out the viewport. They were setting down close to the settlement, or whatever it was the Rufus Meridan had erected - too close for his taste. Qui-Gon insisted though. The older master had spoke of nothing but the need to act, and act quickly.

Turning his head, he surveyed Qui-Gon Jinn. The man was haggard, and worn. He had confided in Alex about the guilt that nagged at him. Even the rationalizations that he couldn't be expected to protect Jemmiah for the rest of her life - she would surely outlive him - hadn't had an effect. His guilt over his padawan was even worse.

"We're almost there."

Alex gave a wane smile to their pilot. He hadn't know their guest could pilot, or navigate for that matter. It had been a pleasant surprise.

"Set down in the gulley, and activate the passive shadowing."

"I know."

"And you'll stay here."

Both heads turned to Qui-Gon. Shaking his head, Alex prevented the arguement. It wasn't the time nor the place. The original game plan, go in and drag Obi-Wan out, had bee

9. Eryce

Eryce Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2000
    Go, Obi-Wan! Go, Meri! Slice the @&(*#&@# into two..

10. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Couldn't agree more! Slice him into zillions of tiny little...hang on a moment. You can't kill off the bad guy!

Can you?

Thanks for that, Daphne. I enjoyed my little segment in your story, and you made my humble offering so much better with the way you broke it up. Keep it up, when you've got the time.

11. Latara

Latara Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2000
    wow, i'm gone for a day and then i get two great posts the next day. Post more soon.

12. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Yeah, kill the &&"£?!/ ^&$"**"!

Well collaborated the two of you!

13. Daphne

Jun 28, 2000
    *Reads over comments...*

I set out to turn Rufus into a good villian... I guess I succeeded....

More is coming tonight, but then.... I run out of already written/edited story... so I'll have to get the rest of it done.

14. maramijade

Feb 17, 2000
    I know what you mean daphne. . . happened to me. . . too. . .

15. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Upping this for later.

16. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    I'm posting, so you better post Daphne!!!
    PLEASE!!!!

17. Daphne

Jun 28, 2000
    Alright, it's iffy, but it's here....

At the stroke of midnight - part twenty five

----------------

Rufus looked at the blue beam with wide eyes. He could have sworn he'd just killed this one. Reaching smoothly inside his jacket he drew a blaster. The weak tugging told him the Jedi was trying to draw it away from him. To his surprise, instead of the weapon flying from his hand, it just tremored there.

Obi-Wan stood in a defensive stance - the positiion allowed him to look stronger than he felt. He wanted to send soothing thoughts to Jemmiah. He wanted to yank the blaster from the scoundral's hand and beat the guards with it. More than anything though, he wanted Meri to hurry up. Somewhere a few hallways back, they had split up reluctantly, now he regretted it.

Weakness. Cluthing his saber tightly, he swung it in a wide arc, knowing he couldn't stand through a battle. One of the guards was felled by the blow and the second reacted by pushing Jemmiah in front of him before turning to flee alongside Mr. Meridan. Stopping himself midswing, Obi-Wan caught Jemmiah as they both tumbled to the ground.

"Obi-Wan....."

The voice stopped short as she came through the door. Jemmiah glanced up in wonder as she saw Meri, lightsaber ablaze, standing in the doorway above her. Turning her gaze down, she caught the clouded eyes of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

"I thought.... you were dead."

"Haven't you heard, you can't kill a Jedi."

Meri opened her mouth to protest, but Jemmiah spoke first in a hurried warning. "But he can kill the other girls."

Obi-Wan tried to climb to his feet, but couldn't quite manage the first time. The puzzled look in Jemmiah's eyes steeled him to action. *Protect them! Jedi protect the weak!* Only Meri overheard his fatigued thoughts, and he missed her reply. //You are the weak this time.//

---------------------

"What was that?"

"I don't know."

"Do you think he's coming back?"

"I can't take it again if he does."

The frightened chattering of the girls was cut short by a beam of green light searing through the metal grate of the the door. Huddling together, the slaves stared, wide-eyed, as the green blade completed its course, leaving a large circular whole in the metal door. Then the light disappeared.

One of the braver girls stepped forward, only to be greeted with an extended hand. Casting a wane smile over her shoulder, she took it, only to be pulled through the opening. Standing face to face with the darkhaired man, she couldn't help but stare into the starry blue eyes. This was the face of freedom and she was there.

Turning to his companion, she nodded. *Jedi,*

Soon the 19 girls were gathered in a huddle near the edge of the resort. Under the wing of the same darkhaired man she had first seen, that slave, along with all the others, allowed themselves to be lead to a small cruiser parked nearby.

Where the other Jedi went, they didn't know.

-------------------------

Meri closed her mouth. She should have expected. Releasing her hold on Jemmiah, she watched as the young woman ran across the entranceway and into Qui-Gon's awaiting arms.

"I'm sorry Tangles. I should have been there."

Wordlessly, Jemmiah buried herself against the broad chest in front of her. It really was all okay in her mind. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, they were alive, and they were here, and they would protect here. Sensing Meri's slow approach, Jemmiah straightened. "It's alright. I..... I'm glad you came for me."

"I'd always come for you. I promised."

The wane smile vanished in a second as he heard her quiet words. "But I thought I'd killed you. I thought I killed you."

"It's alright. Let's go."

"No, we can't."

Qui-Gon looked curiously at Meri. "Why ever not?"

"Obi-Wan. He went after Rufus."

18. Latara

Mar 21, 2000
    Ahhhhhh!!!! not iffy at all. I'm still on the edge of my seat. Post more soon. PLEASE!!!

19. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    You can't leave it there!!! Go on Qui, SAVE OBI!

20. Eryce

Eryce Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2000
    *wail* You left it there??????

POST POST POST!

21. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    NOOOOOOOOO!

Please for the sake of what's left of my sanity, and for the love of the force, YOU MUST POST!!!!

22. maramijade

Feb 17, 2000
    oh dear do I have to recreate the mob song again?

I'll wait and see if you post soon then I'll organize the mob

23. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Oh, this is sooooo good Daphne!

But I think I'll have to join Mouse with the "Nooooooooo"! Please don't keep us in suspense too long!

24. Daphne

Jun 28, 2000
    I don't post for 24 hours and I'm getting threats?!

Geez, tough crowd. Here's another, but I don't know if you'll get part 27 tomorrow or the next day - have to wait and see.

At the stroke of midnight - part twenty six

------------------

The voice calling out to him might someday haunt his nightmares if he failed. The woman's voice, calling out, screaming for help, and then, asking for the Jedi to help her - calling him by name.

The dark path through the resort was desolate. With few guards and no customers on planet, Obi-Wan could have convinced himself he walked warily through an abandoned settlement, rather than a village of slavery, vice, and villany.

*There.* The cries were getting louder - he hoped that meant he was getting closer, not that the woman was in worse condition. Desperately trying to summon the force, he came to the painful realization that he had nothing left to use - no part of him was involved in anything more than simply keeping him on his feet.

-----------------------

Qui-Gon reached out along their training bond only to feel.... nothing. //Sith!//

Leaving Meri and Alex to bandage and heal the last of the slaves, Qui-Gon raced towards the cabin. //She can find him on the shuttle's sensors.//

Coming through the bulkhead door, Qui-Gon halted in shock. The cockpit was empty. //Sith Sith Sith// Racking his mind, he tried to remember the last time he had seen teh girl. *When we brought Rufus' girls back, and Obi-Wan wasn't with us. Oh Sith....*

"Master Jinn, can you sense Obi-Wan?"

Turning around, the Jedi Master saw Meri leaning against the doorway, tired lines breaking up the troubled expression on her face.

"No, I cannot. And it appears we have lost 1/3 of our rescue party."

Puzzled Meri followed his gaze. A long coat lay across the pilot's chair. "Who?"

If she hadn't been in enough shock, that bit of news might have knocked her over.

---------------------

"Scream for me." The harsh whisper from the scoundral's mouth was almost as terrifying as the blaster he kept pressed to the woman's neck. "Say, 'help me Obi-Wan Kenobi.' Say 'help me Jedi.' Be a good girl and I won't kill you yet."

Obi-Wan ducked behind the low wall. Just behind a small shed, he could see a foot. The renewed cries chilled his heart. The voice of Jemmiah's kidnapper shattered it.

"Put down your weapon, Jedi. Put it down and she lives."

*Sith!*

"Put it down, little Jedi."

Then sound of a blaster shot and a woman's scream, cut short, reverberated through the night air. "Noooooo!" Spinning out, Obi-Wan stood, out from behind the pillar, lightsaber ablaze. Across the small space, Rufus Meridan had stepped out from his hiding spot, still holding the woman - his hand held over her mouth. And he laughed as he took his hand away, and she still screamed.

"Put it down Jedi, or this slave dies."

Obi-Wan's shoulders sank. The clicking of the trigger, slowly pulled back, opened his fingers. The metal rod fell, blade exstinguished, from his hand. Rufus released his hold on his prisoner, and she bolted. Obi-Wan could only hope Meri found her. Someone should escape here alive.

Rufus now aimed his blaster at the Jedi's chest. "Step away from the weapon."

Obi-Wan hesitated. Reaching out with the force, he could feel the saber, but barely, lying beside him in the dirt. Wrapping it with tendrils of the force, he realized his dire situation when the saber refused to do anything but tremor there, in the sandy dirt of Taigan.

"Step away."

Wordlessly, Obi-Wan obeyed. His only hope was to stall. If he waited long enough, Meri might find them. He hadn't the energy left to search for her. *If she took Jemmiah back to our ship, she'll wouldn't make it back until tomorrow. Game's up Kenobi.* Dropping slowly to his knees, Obi-Wan felt the aching ribs screaming within his chest, the throbbing pain radiating through the very marrow of his bones, felt the liveforce ebb and flow within him. Turning his eyes up, he followed the path of the bl

25. Latara

Mar 21, 2000
    Again, your post leaves me with no other response but,
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! You can't leave it there!!! i'll try to be patient, but POST MORE SOON!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.