At What Price ( Yet another JA Story)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Eryce, Jan 3, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eryce Jedi Knight

star 2
    When I read SW books I find it rather annoying when Luke and other major charaters have flashbacks of movie scenes, etc. It's okay once in a while but in Every Book there is at least one that reminds Luke of the final battle w/the Emperor on the 2nd deathstar. He always is reminded of the blue lighning bolts eminating from his fingers... What is even more annoying, I found, is when Luke has flashbacks of becoming the Cloned Emperor's evil servent and only the love of his friends brought him back, blah blah blah. Since I do not read the comics I had been wondering what he is refering to for years. I only recently realized that it was a comic from a thread here on the council. And since almost all the books refer to this flashback I think they should make it a book or not refer to it at all. What I'm wondering is if anyone else is as annoyed at these frequent flashbacks as I am.
  2. Hathor Moderator Emeritus

star 3
    When I read SW books I find it rather annoying when Luke and other major charaters have flashbacks of movie scenes, etc. It's okay once in a while but in Every Book there is at least one that reminds Luke of the final battle w/the Emperor on the 2nd deathstar. He always is reminded of the blue lighning bolts eminating from his fingers... What is even more annoying, I found, is when Luke has flashbacks of becoming the Cloned Emperor's evil servent and only the love of his friends brought him back, blah blah blah. Since I do not read the comics I had been wondering what he is refering to for years. I only recently realized that it was a comic from a thread here on the council. And since almost all the books refer to this flashback I think they should make it a book or not refer to it at all. What I'm wondering is if anyone else is as annoyed at these frequent flashbacks as I am.
  3. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    too cheap to buy a stupid comic, or whining because you missed out on it for so long, Hathor?
    I agree a novel adaption of the comic would be great, but just being comics is no reason to ignore such an important and hard-hitting piece of Star Wars literature. I think the comics are great for filling in gaps in stories between novels. Ever read the Goodwin/Williamson comics? These fill in between ANH and ESB, and are probably the best of the bunch. Remember in ESB, when Han has a flashback about the bounty hunter at Ord Mantell? We were clueless about that flashback for years... some still are. But if you've read the AG/AW comics, you'd know.

[This message has been edited by Darth Ludicrous (edited 01-05-99).]
  4. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    too cheap to buy a stupid comic, or whining because you missed out on it for so long, Hathor?
    I agree a novel adaption of the comic would be great, but just being comics is no reason to ignore such an important and hard-hitting piece of Star Wars literature. I think the comics are great for filling in gaps in stories between novels. Ever read the Goodwin/Williamson comics? These fill in between ANH and ESB, and are probably the best of the bunch. Remember in ESB, when Han has a flashback about the bounty hunter at Ord Mantell? We were clueless about that flashback for years... some still are. But if you've read the AG/AW comics, you'd know.

[This message has been edited by Darth Ludicrous (edited 01-05-99).]
  5. DaClyde Jedi Padawan

Having owned a cassette of Brian Daley's "Rebel Mission to Ord Mantell" since I was about 6, I have to stick with it as being the incident Han was talking about, but really I think it was an early slip by Lucas not to make that subject off limits of authors. There's nothing to stop more authors from writing that same event over and over. But I can dig the fact that SW happened a long time ago and legends change in the re-telling....
  6. DaClyde Jedi Padawan

Having owned a cassette of Brian Daley's "Rebel Mission to Ord Mantell" since I was about 6, I have to stick with it as being the incident Han was talking about, but really I think it was an early slip by Lucas not to make that subject off limits of authors. There's nothing to stop more authors from writing that same event over and over. But I can dig the fact that SW happened a long time ago and legends change in the re-telling....
  7. Hathor Moderator Emeritus

star 3
    DL, we don't have a comic store in this little town. Nor do I know where to find one because I'm not that interested in them. I find it rather silly that mature adults spend a fortune buying short stories with little pictures anyway. Besides, we're talking about two different things here. Books are different than comics, therefor I think they should remain apart plot wise.
  8. Hathor Moderator Emeritus

star 3
    DL, we don't have a comic store in this little town. Nor do I know where to find one because I'm not that interested in them. I find it rather silly that mature adults spend a fortune buying short stories with little pictures anyway. Besides, we're talking about two different things here. Books are different than comics, therefor I think they should remain apart plot wise.
  9. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Comics are silly little books with pictures... as opposed to silly little books with no pictures that mature adults spend a fortune buying?
    Comics are available at regular bookstores, if not, ask me or another to share the ISBN with you and you can have them ordered... they are much cheaper if you wait until they are collected into one volume
  10. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Comics are silly little books with pictures... as opposed to silly little books with no pictures that mature adults spend a fortune buying?
    Comics are available at regular bookstores, if not, ask me or another to share the ISBN with you and you can have them ordered... they are much cheaper if you wait until they are collected into one volume
  11. BoB Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    I'd have to agree with DL the comics are just about as good as the books. Especially since the authors of the books are the authors of most of the comics. And actually the pictures at times makes certain authors more bareable.
  12. BoB Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    I'd have to agree with DL the comics are just about as good as the books. Especially since the authors of the books are the authors of most of the comics. And actually the pictures at times makes certain authors more bareable.
  13. Deckard Jedi Padawan

HEY EVERYONE.... Hathor has come up with a super solution for Lucas to solve his continuity problem for the Star Wars Saga. Quote: "Books are different than comics, therefor I think they should remain apart plot wise."

Well, if we want to be picky on the subject.... I declare that ONLY the films (along with their written adaptions) to be true canon and everything else (comics, novels, fanfix, etc...) to be "a waste of time and effort by all involved". What a sad statement I just made, right Hathor. So small minded and with limited thinking. Very Un-Jedi-like. But guess what.... IT'S NOT TRUE, I DIG ALL OF THE STAR WARS TALES OUT THERE!!! Hey... maybe it's the kid in me. Wait a minute! LUCAS MADE STAR WARS FOR KIDS. DUH!!

Maybe if you did have a comic book store near you you would be able to experience the wonder and joy that many of us "True Star Wars Fans" do when we open up a new Star Wars comic book. Just because one considers himself/herself to be above comic book reading does not mean that these very creative tales have no right to be included into the whole of the Star Wars saga. Saying that it's "silly" for adults to buy and read comic books makes you an elitist snob. Now don't get me wrong, Hathor... I'm not mad at you, I just feel sorry for you. Sorry that you will go through your entire life never knowing what it is to be a real Star Wars fan. One who invites different styles and version of Star Wars into his/her life. As for me... I have been collecting ALL of the novel, paperbacks, comic books, fanfic (the ones that I really like and believe me there are alot), record/tape tales, etc... that I can get my hands on. I have quite a collection, if I do say so myself. About 95% of what is out their world-wide.
    I plan to (if I can keep myself alive long enough) start from the beginning (Tales Of The Jedi or before...) and tell my children about the tales of The Star Wars. So, please... keep reading the SW books (Lucas could always use your money). But remember what Master Yoda said, "Anger leads to hate... Hate leads to pain...Pain leads to suffering". (forgive me... I just dig that line)

As for Darth Ludicrous, "Remember.... The Force will be with you... Always"

Deckard
  14. Deckard Jedi Padawan

HEY EVERYONE.... Hathor has come up with a super solution for Lucas to solve his continuity problem for the Star Wars Saga. Quote: "Books are different than comics, therefor I think they should remain apart plot wise."

Well, if we want to be picky on the subject.... I declare that ONLY the films (along with their written adaptions) to be true canon and everything else (comics, novels, fanfix, etc...) to be "a waste of time and effort by all involved". What a sad statement I just made, right Hathor. So small minded and with limited thinking. Very Un-Jedi-like. But guess what.... IT'S NOT TRUE, I DIG ALL OF THE STAR WARS TALES OUT THERE!!! Hey... maybe it's the kid in me. Wait a minute! LUCAS MADE STAR WARS FOR KIDS. DUH!!

Maybe if you did have a comic book store near you you would be able to experience the wonder and joy that many of us "True Star Wars Fans" do when we open up a new Star Wars comic book. Just because one considers himself/herself to be above comic book reading does not mean that these very creative tales have no right to be included into the whole of the Star Wars saga. Saying that it's "silly" for adults to buy and read comic books makes you an elitist snob. Now don't get me wrong, Hathor... I'm not mad at you, I just feel sorry for you. Sorry that you will go through your entire life never knowing what it is to be a real Star Wars fan. One who invites different styles and version of Star Wars into his/her life. As for me... I have been collecting ALL of the novel, paperbacks, comic books, fanfic (the ones that I really like and believe me there are alot), record/tape tales, etc... that I can get my hands on. I have quite a collection, if I do say so myself. About 95% of what is out their world-wide.
    I plan to (if I can keep myself alive long enough) start from the beginning (Tales Of The Jedi or before...) and tell my children about the tales of The Star Wars. So, please... keep reading the SW books (Lucas could always use your money). But remember what Master Yoda said, "Anger leads to hate... Hate leads to pain...Pain leads to suffering". (forgive me... I just dig that line)

As for Darth Ludicrous, "Remember.... The Force will be with you... Always"

Deckard
  15. MairohTheWarriorGoddess Jedi Knight

Deckard, before I start, I want to make this clear: THERE IS NO FLAMING INTENDED IN THIS POST. Thank you.
    Now, this is a subject that has been continually rehashed, but I'm going to say it here and now: YOU CAN'T TELL OTHERS WHAT BEING A "TRUE" STAR WARS FAN MEANS. We all have our own opinions, and I realize that you were probably stating yours, but please, you have to learn to not tell others what they should or shouldn't do to be a "true" Star Wars fan. It just isn't right. I wanted to tell you this partly so that I can get it out before the flaming starts, and partly because I don't like hearing it, even when it concerns other people. It hasn't happened to me yet (being called an "untrue" Star Wars fan) but I'm sure it will. Just please try to consider that we Star Wars fans don't all like the same things, which is true of fans of any show. Also, name-calling is not necessary to make your point. Just because someone does not like something that you do does not mean that you have to resort to name-calling, or worse. Anyway, I'll stop before I get less polite and start flaming.
    BTW, to everyone else, I wasn't suggesting that anyone was going to flame, I just couldn't figure out any other way to word what I was trying to say.
    Thank you for listening to "Mairoh's big speech".
    <Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.>
    Mairoh, the Warrior Goddess

[This message has been edited by MairohTheWarriorGoddess (edited 01-06-99).]
  16. MairohTheWarriorGoddess Jedi Knight

Deckard, before I start, I want to make this clear: THERE IS NO FLAMING INTENDED IN THIS POST. Thank you.
    Now, this is a subject that has been continually rehashed, but I'm going to say it here and now: YOU CAN'T TELL OTHERS WHAT BEING A "TRUE" STAR WARS FAN MEANS. We all have our own opinions, and I realize that you were probably stating yours, but please, you have to learn to not tell others what they should or shouldn't do to be a "true" Star Wars fan. It just isn't right. I wanted to tell you this partly so that I can get it out before the flaming starts, and partly because I don't like hearing it, even when it concerns other people. It hasn't happened to me yet (being called an "untrue" Star Wars fan) but I'm sure it will. Just please try to consider that we Star Wars fans don't all like the same things, which is true of fans of any show. Also, name-calling is not necessary to make your point. Just because someone does not like something that you do does not mean that you have to resort to name-calling, or worse. Anyway, I'll stop before I get less polite and start flaming.
    BTW, to everyone else, I wasn't suggesting that anyone was going to flame, I just couldn't figure out any other way to word what I was trying to say.
    Thank you for listening to "Mairoh's big speech".
    <Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.>
    Mairoh, the Warrior Goddess

[This message has been edited by MairohTheWarriorGoddess (edited 01-06-99).]
  17. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Well said, Deckard... never thought of it that way... (well I have, but not in the context of this arguement.)
    If books and comics are too different to be mutually inclusive, then so must movies and books, and movies and comic books...
  18. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Well said, Deckard... never thought of it that way... (well I have, but not in the context of this arguement.)
    If books and comics are too different to be mutually inclusive, then so must movies and books, and movies and comic books...
  19. Senator Lyn Jedi Padawan

A Storyline is a Storyline is a Storyline....
    Soooo relax and enjoy it all .

Life is good STAR WARS is here in all forms for all to enjoy and revel in.
  20. Senator Lyn Jedi Padawan

A Storyline is a Storyline is a Storyline....
    Soooo relax and enjoy it all .

Life is good STAR WARS is here in all forms for all to enjoy and revel in.
  21. Hathor Moderator Emeritus

star 3
    Deckard. So I'm not a 'true' star wars fan huh. That may be your opinion, heck we're all entitiled to one, but not mine. I'm hardly one to be considered a snob either, if you'd know me you'd realize that. I simply don't like to read comics that much all right? The most enjoyable part of reading novels is that they contain only words. Words describe places and objects which the reader must imagine in their head. Comics take all that away. You don't need to imagine the place because it's sitting right there before your eyes. You don't have to sort the details in your head and from that produce a picture because the picture is shown. You also don't have to really concentrait and absorb the words to understand what's happening in the story. ie, who's talking, what their talking about, details, etc. About all that you have to keep track of in comics is the plot. And what fun is that? Not much for me anyway. Now I'm not saying that anyone who reads and enjoys comics are stupid, just that that's why I don't really read them. IMO comics are designed for children who are just starting to associate the writen word with real life, and for humorous punchlines which we read in the Sunday newspaper.
    As for my quote, it sure as heck works. Let me explain. The EU books were created after the movies came out. They were written with references to the movies. Therefore the movie can be considered the only 'true source'. GL created the SW movies and the authors wrote thier books after these. Did GL hire authors to write books? No, he just allowed them to use his SW galaxy. Hence, why should he have to use the books as references for any new movies. The point is he shouldn't have to. If he wants to then that's his discresion. The same applies to the books and comics. Which ever one came out first has the 'right of way'. I'm not sure which one did, so I won't dig too deaply down that path. But if they both came out at the same time than in IMO they should remain appart so as to not confuse the readers, who may not read both sources. An example of this is the movie Stargate. A book series and TV show series soon adopted the show at roughly the same time. And these two series remain far appart because to connect them would probably ruin their readers/viewers rate, and because they are nothing alike.
  22. Hathor Moderator Emeritus

star 3
    Deckard. So I'm not a 'true' star wars fan huh. That may be your opinion, heck we're all entitiled to one, but not mine. I'm hardly one to be considered a snob either, if you'd know me you'd realize that. I simply don't like to read comics that much all right? The most enjoyable part of reading novels is that they contain only words. Words describe places and objects which the reader must imagine in their head. Comics take all that away. You don't need to imagine the place because it's sitting right there before your eyes. You don't have to sort the details in your head and from that produce a picture because the picture is shown. You also don't have to really concentrait and absorb the words to understand what's happening in the story. ie, who's talking, what their talking about, details, etc. About all that you have to keep track of in comics is the plot. And what fun is that? Not much for me anyway. Now I'm not saying that anyone who reads and enjoys comics are stupid, just that that's why I don't really read them. IMO comics are designed for children who are just starting to associate the writen word with real life, and for humorous punchlines which we read in the Sunday newspaper.
    As for my quote, it sure as heck works. Let me explain. The EU books were created after the movies came out. They were written with references to the movies. Therefore the movie can be considered the only 'true source'. GL created the SW movies and the authors wrote thier books after these. Did GL hire authors to write books? No, he just allowed them to use his SW galaxy. Hence, why should he have to use the books as references for any new movies. The point is he shouldn't have to. If he wants to then that's his discresion. The same applies to the books and comics. Which ever one came out first has the 'right of way'. I'm not sure which one did, so I won't dig too deaply down that path. But if they both came out at the same time than in IMO they should remain appart so as to not confuse the readers, who may not read both sources. An example of this is the movie Stargate. A book series and TV show series soon adopted the show at roughly the same time. And these two series remain far appart because to connect them would probably ruin their readers/viewers rate, and because they are nothing alike.
  23. Deckard Jedi Padawan

To all concerned....
    SORRY ABOUT THE "FLAMING" (hee hee...) for those that were offended. But, MairohTheWarriorGoddess, if your tried to understand my entire message you would have noticed that I was making a point. And a good point at that. Sure there are many opinions about what is canon & what is non-canon in the Star Wars universe. But much like you, I don't like when someone tells another that there way of enjoying the Star Wars Saga is, lets call it what Hathor "really" ment, childish and immature. I just find that to be the kind of person who's thinking is limited and narrow minded. And they must be called on it. Sure Hathor is a fan of SW, but must be curbed when he/she insults others. Am I the person for the job? Probably not. But I have never been one to walk away from injustice. Hey!... What am I doing? Running for the Senate? (Star Wars-style of course...)

As for name calling, since when did saying someone is "silly" for buying SW comic books become less insulting than described someone who ONLY reads SW books as an elitist snob? As a mature adult who purchases vast amounts of merchandise from my local periodical establishment, I take offense, sir or madam. (wrote it good didn't I?) For those of you who love all of the Star Wars Tales (comics, novels, etc...), "Remember.... the Force will be with you..... Always."

Deckard
  24. Deckard Jedi Padawan

To all concerned....
    SORRY ABOUT THE "FLAMING" (hee hee...) for those that were offended. But, MairohTheWarriorGoddess, if your tried to understand my entire message you would have noticed that I was making a point. And a good point at that. Sure there are many opinions about what is canon & what is non-canon in the Star Wars universe. But much like you, I don't like when someone tells another that there way of enjoying the Star Wars Saga is, lets call it what Hathor "really" ment, childish and immature. I just find that to be the kind of person who's thinking is limited and narrow minded. And they must be called on it. Sure Hathor is a fan of SW, but must be curbed when he/she insults others. Am I the person for the job? Probably not. But I have never been one to walk away from injustice. Hey!... What am I doing? Running for the Senate? (Star Wars-style of course...)

As for name calling, since when did saying someone is "silly" for buying SW comic books become less insulting than described someone who ONLY reads SW books as an elitist snob? As a mature adult who purchases vast amounts of merchandise from my local periodical establishment, I take offense, sir or madam. (wrote it good didn't I?) For those of you who love all of the Star Wars Tales (comics, novels, etc...), "Remember.... the Force will be with you..... Always."

Deckard
  25. Hathor Moderator Emeritus

star 3
    if you had bothered to notice, Deckard I had reasons, and who the h@ll do you think you are to consider them 'childish and unmature'? You have no basis for calling me narrow minded, in fact you are very much so.

Also I said I find it rather silly for adults to buy... In NO way did I call someone silly who does so? I also find it rather amusing, does that also affend you in some rather small way?

[This message has been edited by Hathor (edited 01-07-99).]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.