main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

At What Price ( Yet another JA Story)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Eryce, Jan 3, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Rogue, you know the matter of comics is not a sexist one. You remember our friends at BDD? That's the only Star Wars site I've been to where women significanly out-number the men... and every one of them enjoy the comics... think we should invite our lady friends over here...?

2. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    Rogue, you know the matter of comics is not a sexist one. You remember our friends at BDD? That's the only Star Wars site I've been to where women significanly out-number the men... and every one of them enjoy the comics... think we should invite our lady friends over here...?

3. Rogue Jedi

Rogue Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 1998
    In terms of the sexist issue. My intention was one of generality, (is that a word....is now.) that comics in general appeal to a typically more male audience...though there are plenty of exceptions, so you have a point.

To illustrate my point (kinda difficult in text) a little further:
    The ladies @ BDD do enjoy the S.W. comics.....but "Spawn"? (to be fair, Spawn has never, as far as I know, been brought up)
    I mean, come on!.... Let's talk Ghost Rider.
    Ghost Rider is a renegede (dare I say, rogue) Demon with his head on FIRE running from old Scratch itself....Not IMO targeted at a female following.(hee hee hee) ...

I never said it was the soundest theory...But hey, I tried.

In terms of invitations to our friends...Hell yeah, invite them. I sincerly hope you have better luck than I have. You know I've tried...on several occasions. I mean, all sarchasm aside, lots of members would really enjoy L.Kyle & Durron's staunch and stoic defence, even in the face of overwhelming adversity, of KJA....On second thought, considering the up-rising support KJA has received recently, nix that, they don't need any more ammo.

[This message has been edited by Rogue Jedi (edited 01-08-99).]

4. Rogue Jedi

Oct 9, 1998
    In terms of the sexist issue. My intention was one of generality, (is that a word....is now.) that comics in general appeal to a typically more male audience...though there are plenty of exceptions, so you have a point.

To illustrate my point (kinda difficult in text) a little further:
    The ladies @ BDD do enjoy the S.W. comics.....but "Spawn"? (to be fair, Spawn has never, as far as I know, been brought up)
    I mean, come on!.... Let's talk Ghost Rider.
    Ghost Rider is a renegede (dare I say, rogue) Demon with his head on FIRE running from old Scratch itself....Not IMO targeted at a female following.(hee hee hee) ...

I never said it was the soundest theory...But hey, I tried.

In terms of invitations to our friends...Hell yeah, invite them. I sincerly hope you have better luck than I have. You know I've tried...on several occasions. I mean, all sarchasm aside, lots of members would really enjoy L.Kyle & Durron's staunch and stoic defence, even in the face of overwhelming adversity, of KJA....On second thought, considering the up-rising support KJA has received recently, nix that, they don't need any more ammo.

5. MON CAL WARRIOR

MON CAL WARRIOR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 1998
    Damn, I'm sorry it took me an e-mail from DL to get into this argument<I e-mailed him to change the Hamby thread's name>. Well DL was right the Book Companies and DHC are having the authors write comics to provide fluitity<is that a word, oh well sounds good>in the SW universe, if you look at the beginning all the comics were scripted by almost all non-SW authors, just comic writers. Some were Tom Veitch, and Archie Goodwen< isn't he the first SW comic scripter?>. Now LFL is having to make more of an effort to provide a constant story. If you look at the video games, they sometimes contradict the books, then the books will contradict the games, and so on.
    Well to put the movies, comics, and books into one category is wrong. They need to have the same "flow" but don't have to be exactly the same. I like some of the comics, but others I don't. The comics don't provide as much of a challenge as the novels, but their just as entertaining. To say the comics are below the novels in reading level, isn't right either.
    Cheez!! This is my longest post ever, I think I gave myself carpel-tunnel-syndrome with this one. Oh well, it's an argument and I love those.
    Forgot to cover the "sexist" issue, for SW it probably doesn't matter, but Rogue had a point, the main fan base for Spawn is males, but there is always the examples, probably a lot though. To say that SW comics is a gender issue isn't the right way to say it. There is always going to be the gender issue, whether it is for comics, books, femine pads or standing up to pee. That's my two cents till someone makes their point and it is time to discuss it.

DL, you corrected the Hamby' thread, thanks

[This message has been edited by MON CAL WARRIOR (edited 01-08-99).]

6. MON CAL WARRIOR

Dec 4, 1998
    Damn, I'm sorry it took me an e-mail from DL to get into this argument<I e-mailed him to change the Hamby thread's name>. Well DL was right the Book Companies and DHC are having the authors write comics to provide fluitity<is that a word, oh well sounds good>in the SW universe, if you look at the beginning all the comics were scripted by almost all non-SW authors, just comic writers. Some were Tom Veitch, and Archie Goodwen< isn't he the first SW comic scripter?>. Now LFL is having to make more of an effort to provide a constant story. If you look at the video games, they sometimes contradict the books, then the books will contradict the games, and so on.
    Well to put the movies, comics, and books into one category is wrong. They need to have the same "flow" but don't have to be exactly the same. I like some of the comics, but others I don't. The comics don't provide as much of a challenge as the novels, but their just as entertaining. To say the comics are below the novels in reading level, isn't right either.
    Cheez!! This is my longest post ever, I think I gave myself carpel-tunnel-syndrome with this one. Oh well, it's an argument and I love those.
    Forgot to cover the "sexist" issue, for SW it probably doesn't matter, but Rogue had a point, the main fan base for Spawn is males, but there is always the examples, probably a lot though. To say that SW comics is a gender issue isn't the right way to say it. There is always going to be the gender issue, whether it is for comics, books, femine pads or standing up to pee. That's my two cents till someone makes their point and it is time to discuss it.

DL, you corrected the Hamby' thread, thanks

[This message has been edited by MON CAL WARRIOR (edited 01-08-99).]

7. ulic

ulic Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 1999
    Darth Ludicrous was right, Redemption was amazingly drawn. Ulic's tale paralleled Anakin Skywalker's story; many would call this redundant,but the point is that many have tried to conquer the dark side and failed. This is KJA's best work. Also, for you Brian Daley fans,check out the Droids: The Protocol Offensive one shot. The story was finished after Daley's death by Anthony Daniels and I believe one other comics author. The story is solid, especially for the Droids series, and Daley was a masterful Star Wars author.

8. ulic

ulic Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 1999
    Darth Ludicrous was right, Redemption was amazingly drawn. Ulic's tale paralleled Anakin Skywalker's story; many would call this redundant,but the point is that many have tried to conquer the dark side and failed. This is KJA's best work. Also, for you Brian Daley fans,check out the Droids: The Protocol Offensive one shot. The story was finished after Daley's death by Anthony Daniels and I believe one other comics author. The story is solid, especially for the Droids series, and Daley was a masterful Star Wars author.

9. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    (no... it is spelled Hambly. I corrected your misspelling... )

10. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    (no... it is spelled Hambly. I corrected your misspelling... )

11. Rogue Jedi

Oct 9, 1998
    Not to start another brush-fire or anything But how do we feel about audio-novelizations?

I, personally, love them, especially on long drives. But when I listen to them, that could be considered as being spoon-fed the novels. Spoon-feeding could be considered childish.

12. Rogue Jedi

Oct 9, 1998
    Not to start another brush-fire or anything But how do we feel about audio-novelizations?

I, personally, love them, especially on long drives. But when I listen to them, that could be considered as being spoon-fed the novels. Spoon-feeding could be considered childish.

13. MON CAL WARRIOR

Dec 4, 1998
    Sorry, DL my mistake.

I like tape/cd novels. When my family went out of town we rented The Green Mile by Stephan King. It made the drive, very fun and interesting. So cheers to audio novels.

14. MON CAL WARRIOR

Dec 4, 1998
    Sorry, DL my mistake.

I like tape/cd novels. When my family went out of town we rented The Green Mile by Stephan King. It made the drive, very fun and interesting. So cheers to audio novels.

15. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    I've heard that the audio-novels really do butcher the stories... skipping things, or getting lines wrong. I do like the Radio-Dramas however...

16. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    I've heard that the audio-novels really do butcher the stories... skipping things, or getting lines wrong. I do like the Radio-Dramas however...

17. ulic

ulic Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 1999
    I like the audio dramas too. He only strayed a little from canon. e.g. Heater instead of jabba confronting Han outside the falcon. I like alot of the scenes that he added to flesh out the story. My favorite is Han and Luke's stay in their shelter while sitting out the Hoth blizzard. For anyone who hasn't heard them, Luke and Han are ready to kill each other by the time they get rescued. Did anyone catch the reference to 3PO flying the falcon from SOTE during the jedi audio drama. These CD's are a must buy, but they'll put a nice dent in your bank account. It's a shame that Daley passed away, he was very talented

18. ulic

ulic Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 1999
    I like the audio dramas too. He only strayed a little from canon. e.g. Heater instead of jabba confronting Han outside the falcon. I like alot of the scenes that he added to flesh out the story. My favorite is Han and Luke's stay in their shelter while sitting out the Hoth blizzard. For anyone who hasn't heard them, Luke and Han are ready to kill each other by the time they get rescued. Did anyone catch the reference to 3PO flying the falcon from SOTE during the jedi audio drama. These CD's are a must buy, but they'll put a nice dent in your bank account. It's a shame that Daley passed away, he was very talented

19. Hathor

Hathor Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 28, 1998
    Well this is interesting where my thread topic went. You'll have to excuse me, I will comment on all the points you people have made but I have absolutly NO time tonight, and since you all wrote a book... Rogue, I like book tapes, but the person reading the tapes usually have this really monotone voice that makes me start to drift of.....

20. Hathor

Hathor Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 28, 1998
    Well this is interesting where my thread topic went. You'll have to excuse me, I will comment on all the points you people have made but I have absolutly NO time tonight, and since you all wrote a book... Rogue, I like book tapes, but the person reading the tapes usually have this really monotone voice that makes me start to drift of.....

21. Rogue Jedi

Oct 9, 1998
    Hathor, Try any tapes where Anthony Daniels (C-3PO) is the reader...He's definately an accomplished speaker...An added plus, you'll recognize his voice, it really adds the "Star Wars" element to them.

D,L., you're right. They are abridged, makes you wish that they recorded on 100 min tapes as opposed to 60. Still, IMO it's a small, readily paid price to be able to "read" my favorite stories while driving back from Disney (where I bought my first audio books, The Thrawn Trilogy, at...you guessed it, Endor Venders < the shop @ the exit of "Star Tours"> ).

22. Rogue Jedi

Oct 9, 1998
    Hathor, Try any tapes where Anthony Daniels (C-3PO) is the reader...He's definately an accomplished speaker...An added plus, you'll recognize his voice, it really adds the "Star Wars" element to them.

D,L., you're right. They are abridged, makes you wish that they recorded on 100 min tapes as opposed to 60. Still, IMO it's a small, readily paid price to be able to "read" my favorite stories while driving back from Disney (where I bought my first audio books, The Thrawn Trilogy, at...you guessed it, Endor Venders < the shop @ the exit of "Star Tours"> ).

23. MON CAL WARRIOR

Dec 4, 1998
    Well, all this "discussions" between myself, Hathor, Rogue and DL are what JC is suppossed to be like. There a little bit flamatory, but they keep us thinking, and on our toes. So thank you to Hathor, Rogue and DL. These posts between us are what the discussions are meant to be like.

What a wuss

24. MON CAL WARRIOR

Dec 4, 1998
    Well, all this "discussions" between myself, Hathor, Rogue and DL are what JC is suppossed to be like. There a little bit flamatory, but they keep us thinking, and on our toes. So thank you to Hathor, Rogue and DL. These posts between us are what the discussions are meant to be like.

What a wuss

25. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    my two, above posts are being ignored in favor of a discussion about audio tapes?
    I thought hard to type those arguments...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.