main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

At What Price ( Yet another JA Story)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Eryce, Jan 3, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    my two, above posts are being ignored in favor of a discussion about audio tapes?
    I thought hard to type those arguments...

2. Hathor

Hathor Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 28, 1998
    No Darth, they're not being ingnored, I just had to think of something to say.

First, you like the thought of movies, books and comics all as one story/plot right. Well how about computer games, playstation games, 64 games? They are intellectually challenging to play. They have a rather interesting story line that can fit well with books, etc. I get the impression that they are not welcome to be appart of the SW EU, why? My opinion is it's a different medium. Again, you don't read movies or games, however you do parciciate in them intellectually-so by your own arguments why aren't they accepted?

Secondly, you admited that some SW comics were bad and should never have written. The same goes for SW book. I know people who have been turned away from SW books because of one bad book. So the same goes for SW. When I first picked up a comic it was not SW and was fairly bad. I got nothing out of it and after several more bad comics 'gave them up' Like others who have been chased out of SW books I assumed all comics were bad. I understand now that not all comics are alike, and some may actually be good. Just like it would be ridiculus to assume all books in general were bad because of one bad book.

3. Hathor

Nov 28, 1998
    No Darth, they're not being ingnored, I just had to think of something to say.

First, you like the thought of movies, books and comics all as one story/plot right. Well how about computer games, playstation games, 64 games? They are intellectually challenging to play. They have a rather interesting story line that can fit well with books, etc. I get the impression that they are not welcome to be appart of the SW EU, why? My opinion is it's a different medium. Again, you don't read movies or games, however you do parciciate in them intellectually-so by your own arguments why aren't they accepted?

Secondly, you admited that some SW comics were bad and should never have written. The same goes for SW book. I know people who have been turned away from SW books because of one bad book. So the same goes for SW. When I first picked up a comic it was not SW and was fairly bad. I got nothing out of it and after several more bad comics 'gave them up' Like others who have been chased out of SW books I assumed all comics were bad. I understand now that not all comics are alike, and some may actually be good. Just like it would be ridiculus to assume all books in general were bad because of one bad book.

4. Hathor

Nov 28, 1998
    Just had to fix something...

My once Biology Teacher once quoted, "People these days have do not live their lives as exciting as the ones on TV do. Since there is no action/fun/excitment in their lives they must turn instead to watching people on TV having fun in order to have fun." I probably really butchered his quote but that was about the jist of it. I find this actually true when I myself am at home wathing the X-files or something and a To Be Continued comes up. I must them wait in anticipation for the ending episode to come out and feel extremly excited when it finally does. Therefor I am bacically getting my excitement out of television and not real life. I do have excitment in my life but it cannot be compaired to the grueling gunfire scene on TV or the 90210's steamy romances. Most people realize this kind of stuff does not occur in real life and then therefor look to TV to recieve it. Now what does this have to do with anything in this thread? Don't ask me. Any thoughts though?

5. Hathor

Nov 28, 1998
    Just had to fix something...

My once Biology Teacher once quoted, "People these days have do not live their lives as exciting as the ones on TV do. Since there is no action/fun/excitment in their lives they must turn instead to watching people on TV having fun in order to have fun." I probably really butchered his quote but that was about the jist of it. I find this actually true when I myself am at home wathing the X-files or something and a To Be Continued comes up. I must them wait in anticipation for the ending episode to come out and feel extremly excited when it finally does. Therefor I am bacically getting my excitement out of television and not real life. I do have excitment in my life but it cannot be compaired to the grueling gunfire scene on TV or the 90210's steamy romances. Most people realize this kind of stuff does not occur in real life and then therefor look to TV to recieve it. Now what does this have to do with anything in this thread? Don't ask me. Any thoughts though?

6. MON CAL WARRIOR

MON CAL WARRIOR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 1998
    Sorry DL I thought that we kinda covered them, so I responded to the audio ideas. The mediums of games, books, and comics, there getting so the average-obsessed fan can't even keep them straight. We if you have the time you could but who does? So if they(LFL) just said that these events in the comic are just for entertainment and not part of the Universe people would get mad, and start to pi$$ and moan, so what can we do? Or if they said theses game events aren't part of the universe people would throw hissy fits just like if they did that to anything SW related.
    So in a sense SE is getting to big for it's brithces, huh?
    Sorry Hathor, but it's too late to write a response to your idea

[This message has been edited by MON CAL WARRIOR (edited 01-09-99).]

7. MON CAL WARRIOR

Dec 4, 1998
    Sorry DL I thought that we kinda covered them, so I responded to the audio ideas. The mediums of games, books, and comics, there getting so the average-obsessed fan can't even keep them straight. We if you have the time you could but who does? So if they(LFL) just said that these events in the comic are just for entertainment and not part of the Universe people would get mad, and start to pi$$ and moan, so what can we do? Or if they said theses game events aren't part of the universe people would throw hissy fits just like if they did that to anything SW related.
    So in a sense SE is getting to big for it's brithces, huh?
    Sorry Hathor, but it's too late to write a response to your idea

[This message has been edited by MON CAL WARRIOR (edited 01-09-99).]

8. Hathor

Nov 28, 1998
    Yeah I understand Mon Cal, I'm ready to fall asleep right here but I'm trying to make 200 posts before tomarrow. Oh, gee look at the time-it is tomarrow.

[This message has been edited by Hathor (edited 01-09-99).]

9. Hathor

Nov 28, 1998
    Yeah I understand Mon Cal, I'm ready to fall asleep right here but I'm trying to make 200 posts before tomarrow. Oh, gee look at the time-it is tomarrow.

[This message has been edited by Hathor (edited 01-09-99).]

10. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    Games are different... they're mutable even though they may follow a basic story line. Take for instance, RPG. You wouldn't include my RPG into the SWU, because eveyone's rpg is different. Some video games are the same way, some fit, others don't. Some comics don't fit, and some novels don't fit. What fits we keep, and what doesn't is ignored.

11. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    Games are different... they're mutable even though they may follow a basic story line. Take for instance, RPG. You wouldn't include my RPG into the SWU, because eveyone's rpg is different. Some video games are the same way, some fit, others don't. Some comics don't fit, and some novels don't fit. What fits we keep, and what doesn't is ignored.

12. MON CAL WARRIOR

Dec 4, 1998
    To Hathor's question. If you watch TV for pure excitement and not just entertainment then you might be depressed or have a mental problem. That's not to say that everyone that watches for excitement has a problem, but that might be an answer. Or everyone has been so trained to get everything from TV that we're all just excitement junkies addicted to TV. I don't know everyone is different.

No on to DL, well how do you derermine what is Universe Quality and what isn't? Take for example the Lando Trilogy I liked it and think it should stay, but it seems popular opinion it to hate it and want it gone. Or what about the Goodwhen comics, do they stay, or even Zahn's VoTf should that stay?
    How do you or LFL determine what to keep and what to kick out? Just a thought, and question.

13. MON CAL WARRIOR

Dec 4, 1998
    To Hathor's question. If you watch TV for pure excitement and not just entertainment then you might be depressed or have a mental problem. That's not to say that everyone that watches for excitement has a problem, but that might be an answer. Or everyone has been so trained to get everything from TV that we're all just excitement junkies addicted to TV. I don't know everyone is different.

No on to DL, well how do you derermine what is Universe Quality and what isn't? Take for example the Lando Trilogy I liked it and think it should stay, but it seems popular opinion it to hate it and want it gone. Or what about the Goodwhen comics, do they stay, or even Zahn's VoTf should that stay?
    How do you or LFL determine what to keep and what to kick out? Just a thought, and question.

14. Hathor

Nov 28, 1998
    Okay, this is starting to get to me. People keep on refering to their RPG name like DL just did. Does that mean role playing game? But what does that have to do with anything?? If someone could fill me in here...
    -Exasperated, Hathor

15. Hathor

Nov 28, 1998
    Okay, this is starting to get to me. People keep on refering to their RPG name like DL just did. Does that mean role playing game? But what does that have to do with anything?? If someone could fill me in here...
    -Exasperated, Hathor

16. ulic

ulic Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 1999
    RPG does stand for role playing game. I think that DL is saying that everytime you play a video game, it is different. It's a game set in the SWU. It's not part of the story. In an RPG, you make up an adventure in the SWU, but it's not part of the SWU because everyone else makes up different adventures.

17. ulic

ulic Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 1999
    RPG does stand for role playing game. I think that DL is saying that everytime you play a video game, it is different. It's a game set in the SWU. It's not part of the story. In an RPG, you make up an adventure in the SWU, but it's not part of the SWU because everyone else makes up different adventures.

18. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    Exactly... but if the overall story can fit, then keep it, screw the details. As far as quality... I rate anthing that is refered to in other media as quality. Lando books are referenced in Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy, Goodwin Williamson was referenced by Anderson in TotJ, and another in Shadow Stalker. Splinter of the Mind's Eye is not referenced (although I believe it should stay... just make it a dream referenced by a prequel and sequel story). Russ Manning's Comics are so way off base that they are outright contradicted. Marvel comics, too are contradicted, except for a few stories that can be cut and pasted from that line to the latest. Devilworlds is off base (Luke has a sleeping cabin in his X-wing!) The Holace Kids' series has also been contradicted. YJK and JJK may find itself being contradicted shortly if rumors are true. Galaxy of Fear? I have no clue.

19. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    Exactly... but if the overall story can fit, then keep it, screw the details. As far as quality... I rate anthing that is refered to in other media as quality. Lando books are referenced in Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy, Goodwin Williamson was referenced by Anderson in TotJ, and another in Shadow Stalker. Splinter of the Mind's Eye is not referenced (although I believe it should stay... just make it a dream referenced by a prequel and sequel story). Russ Manning's Comics are so way off base that they are outright contradicted. Marvel comics, too are contradicted, except for a few stories that can be cut and pasted from that line to the latest. Devilworlds is off base (Luke has a sleeping cabin in his X-wing!) The Holace Kids' series has also been contradicted. YJK and JJK may find itself being contradicted shortly if rumors are true. Galaxy of Fear? I have no clue.

20. MON CAL WARRIOR

Dec 4, 1998
    Well, DL really sewed that one up, so off base here's the url to my yahoo club http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/thestarwarscouncilclub http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/thestarwarscouncilclub thank you for your attention.

21. MON CAL WARRIOR

Dec 4, 1998
    Well, DL really sewed that one up, so off base here's the url to my yahoo club http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/thestarwarscouncilclub http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/thestarwarscouncilclub thank you for your attention.

22. ulic

ulic Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 1999
    I don't think that Devilworlds is supposed to be part of continuity. It's origin of the falcon is even more off base than Luke's X-wing. However, it's cool to see a young Alan Moore write SW.

23. ulic

ulic Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 1999
    I don't think that Devilworlds is supposed to be part of continuity. It's origin of the falcon is even more off base than Luke's X-wing. However, it's cool to see a young Alan Moore write SW.

24. Carey

Carey Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 1998
    So Hathor , since we like comics that means we're unmature readers eh? Even if we are mature adults that doesn't mean we can't enjoy things that aren't at our level. I mean you said on "Reasons to Like KJA" that you like the YJK series even though it was below your level. You also said that you can follow comics without reading the words (think you said that... not sure ).
    It is very hard to follow the story without reading, you wonder why is he doing that and the reasons of things.
    Also my teachers all say there are many ways people learn best, I think it is probably the same as the way they are entertained. If you are a visual learned and like to see pictures and movies you probably like comics more than reading. While if you like reading to learn things then the novels are more enjoyable for you. Or hearing the tapes. So as it is hard to move from one to one you may miss things, but don't assume other people feel the same. Myself enjoy most of the types of media.
    Carey

25. Carey

Carey Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 1998
    So Hathor , since we like comics that means we're unmature readers eh? Even if we are mature adults that doesn't mean we can't enjoy things that aren't at our level. I mean you said on "Reasons to Like KJA" that you like the YJK series even though it was below your level. You also said that you can follow comics without reading the words (think you said that... not sure ).
    It is very hard to follow the story without reading, you wonder why is he doing that and the reasons of things.
    Also my teachers all say there are many ways people learn best, I think it is probably the same as the way they are entertained. If you are a visual learned and like to see pictures and movies you probably like comics more than reading. While if you like reading to learn things then the novels are more enjoyable for you. Or hearing the tapes. So as it is hard to move from one to one you may miss things, but don't assume other people feel the same. Myself enjoy most of the types of media.
    Carey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.