main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Athens please be kind to us kiwi's

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SithForceLord, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Yes, it's been 4 years since the last Olympics and it's time for this piddly little country to pit itself against the rest of the world in the attempt to gain some metal on a string.

Who is our best shot at gold? Barbara Kendell? Sarah Ulmer? Blith Tait?

And on a similar note, who has been watching Marc and Mathew as they galavant across europe and take the piss out of anyone or anything they can, while brightening our day with laughter. (My god they're plonkers, but damn funny ones)

The cheese roller competition was priceless last week and last night was pretty funny too.

What is your favourite sport?
    Women beech vollyball is always a great spectator sport. Waterpolo and shooting are personal fav's also.

Most hated / pointless sport not worthy of the Olympics?
    Syncronised swimming, Marc and Mathew had a go and found it very difficult. No doubt it's hard, but OMG how pointless.

What sport should be in there that is not?
    Paintball?

Fingers are crossed for our athletes not to be injured or found taking horse hormones or the like and to bring home a few medals.

2. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    > Women beech vollyball
    I am thinking of Amazonian women playing volleyball amongst the leaves of giant Beech trees. Be still, my heart, be still ...

> Most hated / pointless sport not worthy of the Olympics?
    I'm not sure if this is even an Olympic sport or not, but if it is, my vote goes for the walking races. As someone at my work said, it's like having a contest to see who can whisper the loudest.

To be honest, I don't think there should be any team sports in the Olympics at all. I like the (ancient Greek) idea that the Olympics were pitting man against man in fits of strength and endurance.

3. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Yea, old school olympics is how it should be. But we really do have to appreicate the fact that it takes at least 8 days to check the womens beach volleyball uniforms! (for advertising logo sizes but still!)

Yea, walking... I guess it's... desciplined (spelling?) not lifting those feet at the same time... and after seeing poor Craig Barrett like a tranquilized (spelling?) giraffe, it was pretty sad :(

>Sports Cafe was halarious tonight BTW.<

4. -SILVER-

-SILVER- Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 16, 2003
    Yip, I reckon I have a strong chance of winning a gold medal in the couch potatoe event.

=D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

5. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Wouldn't you rather Silver?

6. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Anyone planning to get up at 5am tomorrow to watch the opening ceremony live?

7. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    errr ... no.

I really hate the Olympics. I think it's just an excuse for jingoism, and it just seems like everyone's taking drugs now anyway.

8. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    errr ... no.

I really hate the Olympics. I think it's just an excuse for jingoism, and it just seems like everyone's taking drugs now anyway.

Ah, I love how you always tell it how it is, Lawrence. I'm with you on the aversion method. I may watch an event or two, but being something of a music geek more than a sportsman, it only really serves to add fuel to the fires of my apathy. I hope we do well, but I won't be putting a lot of effort into watching....

9. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    If they bought paintball to the olympics I would definitly aim to play there... I played at the NZ nationals this year!

10. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I love the opening ceremony .. I remember getting misty-eyed when East Timor entered to a standing ovation at Sydney 2000. We need all the symbols we can get of world peace and unity in these times.

Five am on a Saturday doesn't really exist in my world, though, so I guess I'll either catch the highlights, or record it.

Beatrice Faumuina will be carrying the flag :)

11. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    ok so I've got a TV card in my computer, and out here in the farmland it picks up TV2 ok, TV3 a bit sketchy and TV1 not at all. Went into Noel Leemings to get a better TV aerial. Picks up TV 2 fine, 3 better and 1 just. GRRR TV 1 has the olympics and I can hardly get it. Now I'm on holiday the olympics was what I was looking forward to.

:(

12. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Anyone planning to get up at 5am tomorrow to watch the opening ceremony live?

6pm for me. :cool:

13. -SILVER-

-SILVER- Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 16, 2003
    It'll be interesting to see if al Qaeda turns the "chemical" Olympics into darkness. [face_thinking]

14. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    ok so I've got a TV card in my computer, and out here in the farmland it picks up TV2 ok, TV3 a bit sketchy and TV1 not at all. Went into Noel Leemings to get a better TV aerial. Picks up TV 2 fine, 3 better and 1 just. GRRR TV 1 has the olympics and I can hardly get it. Now I'm on holiday the olympics was what I was looking forward to.

why not see if you can get a cheap proper aerial and rig it up ontop of your house? I've seen quite a few of them in the store next to the rubbish dump. And at demolition traders here in hamilton iirc...

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Isn't there a big-ass TV in the Lincoln Uni Cafe? Or in the local pub? Go watch the events with your fellow students.

16. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    It's the holidays for the next two weeks, so Mrs O's is closed.

woke up at 5:40 just as it was starting (must have been build up from 5am) and watched for an hour - just as the countries athletes were entering the stadium. Fell asleep until 9am and then saw highlights as it just ended. Seems I missed two more things as all the highlights were from the first hour or so. [face_plain]

17. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    Watched the Ceremony this morning, the teams marching in in Greek alphabetical order was a bit of a twist.

18. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Our Para-Olympians came home with what? 10 medals? 6 gold?

Who's with me in cutting off our normal olympian's legs and arms and making an uber para-olympics team? Seems they are better than our normal athletes. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.