main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Athletes you love to hate

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Armenian_Jedi, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    Drew may I ask that you explain your logic with the basketball hate?

solojones: That was a scary moment but I hate to crash your hate party and tell you it actually wasn't a bad hit. [face_worried]

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    If it wasn't a bad hit, its as borderline as a "good" hit can get.

I don't think he was trying to hurt him, but it's not the kind of hit you lay on a sliding quarterback.

3. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    I agree. But he wasn't down. He may have been sliding but it doesn't really matter it's free game until he's down. If his helmet didn't hit Green's nobody would even be talking about it. It should just be looked at as a helmet to helmet play which are usually accidental.

EDIT: This is just my opinion of course. :)

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
  5. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002
    Anyone who plays in Boston, I hate that team.

6. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Sorry, it was a legal hit. Green did not go into the slide early enough for Geathers to stop his hit on him.

7. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    w00t I'm not alone! [face_dancing]

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well the league is reviewing it again, given the fact that Geathers has had some other questionable hits since then. It wasn't an intentional helmet to helmet, but it was a seriously overaggressive hit on a QB who was sliding. Which isn't illegal, but I definitely don't think Geathers did what he could to avoid it. When about 3 of his teammates were able to avoid it and he just went right ahead, that's questionable to me.

Anyway, what upsets me more than whether or not the hit was actually avoidable is the Bengals reaction. They walked away. All of them just went over to their bench and left Green unconscious in the grass. Even once the medical crews were out there, no one from the Bengals showed any concern. Trust me, I was there and I've been there many other times when someone got hurt. Guys from the other team always show concern, say a prayer, something. With the Bengals? Nothing. Even after Green had been calling Carson Palmer all off season to encourage him through his knee injury. Unbelievable.

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I don't think anyone would try to make an argument that the Bengals are a group with a lot of character.

However, Trent survived it and is back on the field, and that's what matters. Reviewing that play is not pertinent to him, I would imagine, or at least as not as important as the Denver Broncos on Thanksgiving.

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    . Guys from the other team always show concern, say a prayer, something.

think back to LT screaming for medical personnel after joe theismann was crunched.

11. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    The Titans showed lots of concern about McNabb, yesterday.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    think back to LT screaming for medical personnel after joe theismann was crunched.

Exactly. And most of the time, that's the sort of thing that happens. Opponents aren't too sad to see someone get injured enough to take them out of the game, but no one likes to see someone get really hurt. No one reasonable, anyway. I lost any shred of respect I might have had for Cincy. It's bad sportsmanship and just bad humanity in any case, but especially so because Green is a fantastic guy who went out of his way to help their QB in the off season. I couldn't believe their reaction. And y'know, Greg Wesley had a great chance to slam into Palmer's knees later in the game, but he made the effort to quickly jump out of the way. Because KC doesn't encourage dirty playing, and most teams don't. Cincy is officially a team I love to see lose now.

Well today on the radio he seemed pretty happy that it was being reviewed again, not because he's vindictive but because he genuinely wants to make sure QBs can be protected when they need to be. To make sure defensive guys get the message that bad hits are not ok. This isn't perhaps the prime example, but there's that whole slippery slope and I don't think Green wants to see the league going down it.

But yeah, of course it's not some huge, pressing issue. I'm more worked up about it than Trent is, I think. But he can't remember what happened anyway :p He does have a good sense of humour about it, though. After the Oakland game Len Dawson asked him about the scramble he took and why he went down on his side/shoulder (which caused a seriously audible gasp and murmur throughout the stadium [face_laugh] ). Trent just said, "Well you know, I haven't had a lot of success sliding..."

-sj loves kevin spacey

13. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    here's that gruesome hit

LT looked horrified. You can't see his face, but just the way he was panicking and then putting his hands on his helmet as if saying, "What the hell have I done?!"

That video's still hard to watch.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

Schilling will always have my respect for working through the Sox' incredible WS run while he was probably in the most incredible pain of his life. I can't think of another player who would do that for their team (please do not bring up TO and the Eagles Superbowl).

15. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    See, that's the way i felt about him BEFORE he opened his back fat mouth.

When he was pitching for the Phillies in the World Series against the Bluejays, i loved the guy. What a warrior!

Then he came to Beantown, where for some godforsaken reason the media loves to let their players talk even when they're absolute idiots.

Some of the things that i've heard outta Schilling....Argh. What a clueless jerk.

16. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    I couldn't have said it better.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I never minded Schilling actually.

I forgot to add someone to my list, he doesn't garner near the hatred Joey Porter does from me, however I have always, always, disliked Sammy Sosa, and always will.

18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Jose Mesa. Neil O'Donnell.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm sure the whole town of Chicago shares your dislike of him.:)

I still have a passionate hatred of Steve Spurrier for decimating the Redskins during his time as Coach. Ol' Ball Coach my foot!:mad:

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    ...and Steve Spurrier is my favorite coach in all of sports, even though he has done more damage to the state of Tennessee than Al Gore.

I'm probably in a minority there, though, I'm not sure he's popular outside of Gator Nation and South Carolina.

21. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    yes you are. he sucks. [face_plain]

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I think his record proves you 100 percent wrong.

If you don't like his abrasive personality, he probably doesn't like you either.

Long live the visor.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey, what about coaches we hate? Because Mike Shannahan plays dirty. Vaseline on the jerseys? Sure, they got fined, after they won the game [face_plain]

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Tell that to Redskins fans after two seasons of losing records with him. There were a lot of us that where estatic when he quit. Saved Snyder the effort of having to pay him anymore of his costly contract.

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Oh, coaches we hate, that's a good idea. This is a little bit longer list. Although I don't think Shanahan is dirty, but that's open for debate, I'll admit.

On my list:

Tom Coughlin, Mike K from Duke (he's not worth the time to spell), Phil Fulmer (yes, my own team's coach), and the wart on the bottom of the UNC Basketball program's history, Matt Dougherty (hopefully he's coaching high school now).

Owner I hate is Dan Snyder. I can't think of the others.

And Juliet, the NFL doesn't count for Spurrier, I made that rule myself. Kind of like the NBA doesn't count for Rick Pitino.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.