main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Atlanta area theaters lacking?

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by Porky_Porkins, Mar 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porky_Porkins

Porky_Porkins Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2001
    I moved here from Dallas a year and half ago, and have been majorly dissapointed by the lack of quality theaters in the perimeter area in regards to size, sound, and seating. Most of the time I drive down to the Regal on 85, or have to go up to Marietta to get a good large theater. Now I am more worried than ever - anyone know if there is a local theater with Digital Projection? I'm not getting my hopes up.

Thanks.

2. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    I'm not aware of anyone in the Atlanta area that will have digital projection in the near future.

As to decent theaters, where do you live? Folks might be able to recommend the nicer theaters. (However, since the Regal24 is one of the newest, I suspect you'd probably be happiest staying there.)

3. Jeddie

Jeddie Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    Porkins, Im afraid you may be disappointed to find out that the theaters here do, for a lack of a better word, suck. I went to see 'All about the Benjamins' (which in itself was horrible) on Sunday at Lennox and they had sheets up on the wall. To make matters worse the manager came in a manually turned the lights off. The Screen was about as big as a white board in a small conference room and for all that I paid the princely sum of $8. I am from Houston and there we had 'Edward', it was to say the least majestic!!! There is nothing in Atlanta like it. AMC has some pretty decent stuff in the suberbs. Southlake 24 is cool, Regal is OK I guess, but the problem they have is too many knuckleheads in the theater who dont shut up. Other than that, I have yet to go to a decent spot inside of 285 I have seen stuff externally further down 400 North and you can always go to Suwannee, or Kennasaw (sp?). Personally, I am seriously considering going home to see AOTC.
    If I find out anything though I will repost again.

4. eem23

eem23 Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2001
    its been years since i was in atlanta. is the lennox theatre the one inside the mall at the lower level?

5. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    The theater in Lennox is indeed in the lower levels of the mall (and it sucks). I hope you guys will join us for the line up at Regal 24. It's not a bad theater and most of the folks seeing Episode II there should be fans just like you. So you shouldn't have to worry about folks chatting during the movie.

6. Technoviper

Technoviper Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    Hello everyone, new to the board...

I've always had a great experience at the Colonial 18 in Lawrenceville... no idea if they're going digital or not, though... But it's a nice theatre with screens the size of Tom Daschle's hubris...

7. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Welcome to the Atlanta board, Technoviper! :)

I go to the Colonial 18 often. I haven't heard of any plans for the theater to go digital. It would be extremely cool if it did.

The Atlanta FanForce will be holding our Episode II line-up outside of Regal Cinemas Hollywood 24. For more information, keep your eyes peeled on this forum. :)

8. eem23

eem23 Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2001
    fyi, i went to see a digital screening of phantom menace here in la and several details including the actors makeup stand out like a sore thumb. now that ep2 is going fully digital, how will that fare out in a non digital theatre? lucasfilm was expecting to have theatres across the country equipped with digital capabilities by the time ep 2 was coming out, but the reality of it is that there are only a few in ny, la and chicago i think. hopefully non digital theatres will not be cheated out of the experience of ep 2.

9. Technoviper

Mar 12, 2002
    I'd gladly trade off the digital experience if I could see the premiere in a movie palace along the lines of the Fabulous Fox Theatre... *sighs wistfully, lost in the memory of a time well before he was born* Why isn't the Fox having a big premiere party? It would be perfect... Or are they, perhaps, and I just don't know about it? Dare I even think it? *gasp!*

10. eem23

eem23 Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2001
    well, how about a signed petition to get the fox theatre to be the first one in atl with digital capabilities. theres plenty of time to get that running before ep3

11. Jedireject

Jedireject Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2001
    Well me being all to literal...

The Fox has a HUGE screen, but very limited seating and really bad sound for movies. Because of the hight of the screen, you can't sit in the balcony and see the bottom half and you can't set back past the underside of the balcony and see the top half. While the accustics are great for stage, it has a very booming echo when they play movies.

That being said it is a cool place to see a film just for the atmosphere and screen size. Unless things have changed, they still use the original carbon-arc projectors, so I doubt they would want to change anything.

Best bet is going to be that one of the local AMC theatres or the Mall of Georgia might decide to drop the cash for a digital projector.

12. JodoKast35

JodoKast35 Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2002
    OK, guys, I've been doing some internet research on the prospect of finding a digital projection solution in Georgia in time for the premiere of Episode II. Due to the economy, and the filing of bankruptcy by some major GA theaters (i.e. Regal Cinemas Hollywood 24), it doesn't seem likely any theaters will be fully upgrading to digital projection by May. However, I don't see a reason why at least one theater in GA can perhaps install by purchase or lease digital projection equipment for one screen with perhaps the help of Digital Projection, Inc which is based right here in GA in Kennesaw. IMAX currently owns DPI, and they have good presence in GA (Fernbank, Mall of GA), so perhaps they can get at least one screen worked out (does IMAX technology utilize DLP?). Perhaps the best possibility to pursue is the fact that the Woodruff Arts Center right here in Atlanta did utilize a Texas Instruments DLP protoype projector when it received Titan A.E. over a broadband connection and presented it in a theater environment in the year 2000. Atlanta Star Wars fans, we MUST secure a screen that utilizes digital projection, the movie experience will make the efforts well worth it. With our devotion to Episode II (the savior of the Star Wars saga) perhaps we really can convince someone in GA to digitally project the first digitally-filmed movie in a state that has the capabilities to utilize DLP. The analogy VHS:DVD::film:DLP makes me all the more determined.

13. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    Edit, ok..Darryl you forgot to log out. hehe.

Jedireject

14. Jedireject

Jul 2, 2001
    Imax is basically just 70mm film shown sideways.

Currently the closest theatre setup for digital projection is the AMC in Orlando at Disney World.

AMC Pleasure Island 24
    1500 Buena Vista Drive
    Lake Buena Vista, Florida 32830-1305
    USA
    Tel: 407-298-4488 (Tickets)
    http://www.amctheatres.com

I worked in the Atlanta theatre market for 5 years, I'd be surprised to see us get a digital theatre soon. The big catch is price. Film projectors cost $30,000. Digital ones cost $100,000. The only way I see it happening is if there is a promotion from manufacturers to try and get a few out there. With only a couple of companies making digital movies available, I think it will be awhile. They are suppose to be building a new theatre downtown where the steel company use to be. Maybe if we are lucky....course that would be after EpII.

But I'll join any effort to fight the good fight if you guys want to pressure a local theatre. :)

15. Technoviper

Mar 12, 2002
    I, too, will lend my lightsaber to such a worthy cause.... although we may be better off sending a prayer to Saint Jude...

16. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    So, I guess you're saying it's a lost cause? ;) :p

I would be glad to help in a campaign to improve our moviegoing experience. But, alas, I will be unable to devote any time to such a thing until after Episode II. Our line-up is not going to be held at a digital theater, but it'll be tons of fun anyway. :)

17. Technoviper

Mar 12, 2002
    No, I'm saying we'll have to call the cops. :D

But yeah, I think digital in Atlanta by Episode II is a lost cause. Heck, digital in Atlanta by Episode III may be a lost cause. Then again, aren't lost causes usually the ones worth fighting for?

18. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    What is that quote from the beginning of the ANH novelization? (I'm probably not remembering it right.)

"They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally, they became heroes." - Princess Leia Organa of Alderaan

'Ya just never know what starting something might do. I wonder if THX has any recruiting materials we could give to a theater owner. (As if they don't already know about it.)

19. Technoviper

Mar 12, 2002
    Ha. All George has to do is get the fans mobilized. Then he'd have a conduit for change so strong no human force could stand against it.

20. eem23

eem23 Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2001
    the trick is to talk to steve sansweet of lucasfilm. He did the circuit for promoting ep2 at the sandiego comicon and was mentioning lucas' attempt at getting some theatres to go digital. If he heard from enough fans in atl, who knows....

21. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Steve has very little to do with that part of the Lucasfilm Empire, but he might know who to talk to at LFL that can help us out.

22. Jedireject

Jul 2, 2001
    When DTS (Digital Theatre Sound) was used mainstream for the first time with Jurassic Park, DTS donated dozens of processors to theatres across the country. After that you had to buy them and they were pretty expensive. DTS plays the soundtrack from a set of cdroms that are sync'd to the film via a laser that reads a code off the film and is the best sound available for movies. SDDS and Dolby Digital don't compare, but are cheaper and less of a hassle because the soundtrack is still on the film itself, thus they are what you see most often at your local theatre.

Digital projection will probably change the future, but I imagine it will do it with $10 ticket prices. I'm sure as the technology gets cheaper we will see more theatres with it, but I can't see DLS donating too many $100,000 projectors.

Oh, Steve Sandsweet knows all! I've never seen him and George together at the same time. I'm starting to think that Steve is George minus the body suit and flannel shirt. It allows George to tour around and meet the fans without getting swamped. ;) I don't know if "Steve" can help get a digital house here. We would probably have a better chance by starting a letter, phone, sitting in their front yard, campaign with a couple of the local theatre chains. Pitch AMC vs Regal and see who jumps first.

23. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Also, approaching anyone at LFL at this point in time is probably not a wise move until Episode II gets released worldwide. They have a lot on their plates, right now.

Maybe in August? (I think the last release date is in July.)

We need to think of a name for our little insurrection. :D

Oh, Jimmy. Good theory about Steve. I'll have to run it past him. 8-}

24. Technoviper

Mar 12, 2002
    Hah. George could construct a Digital Death Star.

I can see it now...

STEVEN SPIELBERG: Until this digital theatre is fully operational we are vulnerable. The DVD Alliance is too well equipped. They're more dangerous than you realize.

BEN BURTT: Dangerous to your Dreamworks, Commander, not to this theatre!

SPIELBERG: DVD will continue to gain support among the critics as long as....

Enter GEORGE LUCAS and RICK MCCALLUM

LUCAS: The critics will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. The last remnants of the Old Hollywood have been swept away.

SPIELBERG: That's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy, petty infighting, cheap gimmicks and 'gifts' to the voters?

LUCAS: The filmmakers now have direct control over the way their films are to be presented. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of losing revenue.

SPIELBERG: And what of DVD? If the DVD Alliance has obtained a complete technical readout of this theatre, it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness and exploit it.

BURTT: Any attack made by the DVD Alliance against this theatre would be a useless gesture, no matter what technical data they've obtained. Digital sound and projection is now the ultimate power in the universe. I suggest we use it!

25. FiorCara

FiorCara Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2001
    The theaters at Lenox SUCK. Royally. A few years ago they even upped the prices on 'em. Dirty brats.

Phillips 14 isn't a bad place.
    Parkway Point (not far from Vinings, on Cobb Pkwy I think) is a good one.
    Colonial 18 in Lawrenceville is excellent
    The AMC theater in Kennesaw/Acworth isn't bad.

I saw a movie at the theater they built over the old drive in on 85 and wasn't impressed... it seemed like the theater had been there a while and had a small screen, with bad sound. But maybe it was just that one space.

~Caleigh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.