main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Atlanta area theaters lacking?

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by Porky_Porkins, Mar 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    I beg to differ about the Hollywood 24 Theater on 85. That theater was built in 1999. And I believe it has some of the larger screens in the city (excluding IMAX of course). For Episode II, it is the ONLY theater I will go to in the metro Atlanta area. Just my opinion. But since this forum is here, your entitled to hear it :)

2. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    LOL, Technoviper! The DVD Alliance?! LOL! [face_laugh]

I agree, Jace. I enjoy the Regal Hollywood 24, as well. :)

3. FiorCara

FiorCara Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2001
    Jace, I thought that Colonial 18 did?

Well, every movie theater has several smaller screens in with the big ones.. maybe it was just a bad sound day and the flick was on a smaller screen. *shrugs*

~Caleigh

4. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    I usually frequent the Colonial 18 and the Regal 20 Mall of Georgia, since they are both very close to my home. Both theaters are nice and I have never had a bad experience at either one.

I've only been to the Regal 24 twice, but as I said, I enjoyed it.

5. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    What's the Regal 20 by the Mall of Georgia like? Is it nice? Good seating, screen, etc.? I think that is a pretty new one too, isn't it?

6. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    The Regal Mall of GA 20 is a nice theater, and the screen sizes are nice and big (at least in all the theaters I've been seated in). The chairs aren't quite as wide as the ones found at the Regal 24, but they are comfortable enough.

And one really cool thing is that the IMAX screens at the Regal Mall of GA occasionally show "regular" movies. I've seen Gladiator and Fellowship of the Ring on the IMAX screen. Everything is HUGE! It was pretty cool. :)

7. Technoviper

Technoviper Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    Ah yes... LOTR in IMAX... That was a good day...

Now, if the IMAX theatre would only get "Sorority Boys", I could lie in my grave happy and content.... I think that they missed a great opportunity by not showing "Dude, Where's My Car"....

8. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    I think I know which of the theaters you're talking about, Caleigh. Theater 17 at the Regal24 is AWFUL!

It's almost like they've decided not to maintain it since it's usually where they move the films that have been out for a long time.

The print is usually awful by then because, well, it's where they show the older films. The speaker system is poorly balanced. If it weren't for the fact that I was late to get somewhere, I would've taken the time to point out these issues to the manager.

Oh. And it's usually dirty. ::shudder::

But I really like the rest of the Regal24. Just don't go into 17!

9. FiorCara

FiorCara Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2001
    Hrm. I saw the Grinch Stole Christmas there, not long after it came out... *shrugs* Maybe it was in that one. I dunno!

~Caleigh

10. Jedireject

Jedireject Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2001
    The Lenox theatre is built in what use to be part of a parking deck. That is why one of the theatres has a support column in the middle of seats near the back.

I love the AMC 24 in Morrow. Huge screens, great sound, so-so popcorn.

11. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Jimmy, you just have a wealth of theatrical history knowledge. I'm quite impressed!

12. Porky_Porkins

Porky_Porkins Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2001
    Wow! Can't believe ppl are still responding to my thread 2 1/2 weeks later! Thanks! I guess I am bound to see ep2 at the Regal Hollywood 24 - the nicest theater near me, but certainly not the best. In the time after I created this thread I looked on TX instruments site and just my luck - the one theater in Texas (where I moved from a year ago) with DLP is in my hometown - Plano. ARGH. THE HUMANINTY!!! By the way there are 2 Cinemark Tinseltowns in Plano (one with the DLP projector) and a nice AMC megaplex. What is it with Atlanta? I guess I'll be flying home the week of May 16. Plano is also hosting the sci fi expo that weekend. I must be in hell. Why did I move!

*punches self in head*

PP

13. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Never underestimate the power of this group to gab incessantly about the same topic. 8-}

14. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    No kidding Rosiewook! Just look at the length of the silly sprinkles thread. Amazing that we are up to 6 pages now! A testament to the topic. As my sig says, "Behold the Power of Sprinkles".

[face_laugh]

15. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Well, folks, EOnline is announcing that the seven major studios will be working together to get theaters to upgrade to digital.

Are we good? Or what?

16. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    Does this mean we're going to claim credit? :p

I would love to see some of the theaters around here upgrade to digital. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Who knows, we might actually have digital projection available in Atlanta before Episode III. ;)

17. NOOM

NOOM Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2002
    personally i prefer regal cinema 18 at arbor place because 1:it is on my side of town. 2:it is close to home. 3: it is the only decent theater around close that i don't burn a half a tank of gas to get to.unless they don't play the movie i want to see then i go to the regal theater 24 in austell.
    i am just satified with the stadium seating period
    i don't know if it is digital or not but i like it.
    NOOM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.