Atlanta FanForce Gains Momentum

Discussion in 'Atlanta, GA' started by Minacia_Brightstar, Jun 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Hi all!

Saturday's meeting was productive and fun. Thanks to Ian's agenda, we were able to cover many important points that needed to be addressed. Thanks for helping to keep us focused and organized, Ian. :)

I would also like to say how impressed I was by everyone's willingness to participate. Everyone had great suggestions and ideas, and a couple of folks volunteered to help us out with a few things. I'm glad everyone wants to pitch in--we'll take all the help we can get. :)

A few things that were covered at the meeting:

I believe that we have now decided that our regular meetings will be on the third Saturday of every month. The meeting place will alternate between the I-85 and I-75 locations of Dave & Busters. (Correct me if I'm remembering this information incorrectly, guys. It's 2:00 a.m. right now, so I'm already half-asleep.)

Also, nominations were made for City Coordinator. Myself and Ian have been nominated for the position. Voting will commence soon, either here or on our mailing list. Stay tuned to find out more.

We also discussed getting together for dinner the Friday of Dragon*Con. More on this will be forthcoming, as Dragon*Con approaches.

Plans are in the works for an Atlanta FanForce social, possibly a barbeque. We'll keep everyone posted.

There were several other topics that were covered, such as the possibility of our group attending the Indianapolis celebration, and the need for us to come up with some sort of organizational structure (i.e. president, treasurer, secretary--or something along those lines.)

If anyone has anything that they think should be discussed at our July meeting, please let us know, so we can put it on the agenda.

Ian or Paula, if there are any other important points I've forgotten to mention, please jump in. :)

Oh, did I mention that we had fun after the meeting? ;)

It was great seeing everyone on Saturday! Hope to see all of you, plus more new folks, at our next meeting.
  2. Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA

star 6
    Glad things went well. Let me know the details of the next meeting whenever you get it planned out, and I'll post it on the FanForce main page.
  3. RosieWook Jedi Knight

star 3
    Good summary, although you did neglect to mention that challenging Jimmy to a game of "Star Wars Arcade" is never a good thing. He had near-perfect scores! ;-) We also more than doubled our meeting size to 11 people, this time!

A note on locations. At this point, we are going to alternate between the I-75 and I-85 D&B's.

However, we would like to continue to explore more neutral locations to meet that will make the commute equally annoying for everyone. If anyone is aware of locations in Mid-Town or somewhere between I-75 and I-85 that can accomodate a meeting of about 20 people, or so, that includes eating and possibly some fun activities, then please suggest it. Ideally, a facility that has a free-of-charge meeting room would be great! (We had to yell a bit to be heard at D&B's.)

All in all, a ton of fun. Can't wait to see everyone at our next meeting. The third Saturday in July is the 21st, so mark your calendars!
    Paula
  4. Jace Darkrider Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks for the kind words Minacia. Wow! Our 3rd meeting is coming up. So Hama, does this put us in the "Official" chapter range after the next meeting? Yee-Ha! Lot's fun was had and yes, great write up. As soon as we can get the post up, that will be great Hama. Ciao for now! :cool:
  5. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Hi everybody! :)

Our next regular monthly meeting will be held at the Dave & Busters at I-75 and Delk Road on July 21st, from 12:00 p.m. till 2:00 p.m.

If anyone needs directions to this location of Dave & Busters, you can go to their website: http//www.daveandbusters.com

If there is anything that any of you would like to see discussed at this meeting please let me or Ian know, so we can put it on the agenda.

Everyone come join us. You can expect food, fun, and the occasional moment of hilarity. ;)
  6. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Hi guys!

There are several of us going to an afternoon showing of the new movie, A.I., this Sunday, July 1st, at the Regal Cinemas Hollywood 24 in Chamblee. The address for the theater is 3265 Northeast Expressway. After the movie, we plan to search area shops for the latest Star Wars collectibles.

If anyone is interested in joining us, please send me an e-mail at minacia@fanforce.net, or you can send me a PM.

It'll be fun! I hope some of you can join us! :)
  7. Gen. Madine's Hairpiece Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Y'all gotta do something over here on the NW side of town. Marietta and Kennesaw have lots to do.
  8. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Love the sig, GMH! [face_laugh]

Our next monthly meeting is being held at the Dave & Busters at I-75 and Delk Road. That's up in your neck of the woods, isn't it, GMH?

9. RosieWook Jedi Knight

star 3
    Our AI viewing went well, yesterday, despite the mad dash for the bathrooms when it finally ended. (Hint: This is a long movie!) With seven of us in attendance, we officially made chapter status!

Sadly, our collectible hunting was not quite as productive. But we did manage to find a few items.

I think our northern Atlanta members need to suggest some ideas that we can do in your end of town; maybe after the Meltdown is repaired? [face_mischief]

Maybe we can think of a name for our chapter that has something to do with this. I mean, how many cities can boast that they have enough Dark Side power to melt a freeway?
  10. Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff

VIP
    star 4
  11. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    LOL Paula! I guess it would take a good bit of Dark Side energy to melt a hole into the freeway. When are they going to have it repaired, anyway?

Lord_Gita, a truck caught on fire on the freeway a few weeks ago. It generated so much heat, that it melted a huge hole into the freeway. Very freaky.

As Paula said, yesterday was fun, despite the fact that a few of us got caught in an awful traffic jam that almost made us late to the movie, and the scarcity of decent collectibles. But, we had a great time hanging out and cruising the stores.

I did learn a few interesting things yesterday:

The human will is strong--several of us managed to sit through a 2 hour and 40 minute movie, after having had a coke, without getting up to go to the bathroom. Regretfully, several innocent bystanders were injured in the desperate sprint to the restrooms at the end of the movie. :p

My driving does not scare Sharon or Paula--I have a whole new respect for them. :D

When going hunting for collectibles, be sure to take Paula with you, as she can sniff out Star Wars items a mile away. ;)

So, now that we have survived our first outing, which also happened to be our third meeting, we should now be eligible for official chapter status. Right, Hama?

12. Gen. Madine's Hairpiece Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Yeah, I live up here in Kennesaw. When is the next meeting?
  13. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    GMH, our next meeting is on July 21st, at 12:00 p.m., at the Dave & Busters off I-75. If you need any further info, you can send me a PM.

You can also sign up for our mailing list. If you're interested, go to www.yahoogroups.com and search for AtlantaFanForce.

I hope you can make it to our next meeting. :)
  14. jyaack Jedi Padawan

Can't wait to meet everyone at the next meeting. I am a local boy who has despaired of ever meeting a gaggle of people who like Star Wars (my friends think I'm just a little too strange!) Will see everyone out at D&B's on July 21st!

Dave
  15. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Hi Dave! I hope to see you at our next meeting! :D

If you have any questions, or need further information, feel free to post to this board or send me a private message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.