main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Atmospheric dogfight over Geonosis

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Damillster, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damillster

Damillster Jedi Master star 4

Jul 24, 2000
    It was brought to my attention, a couple weeks ago, that there would be an atmospheric dogfight over the surface of Geonosis. I missed the news when it surfaced and I haven?t seen any threads on it, but it?s been ?known? for some time.

Apparently, when the clones come to rescue the Jedi, all hell breaks loose on Geonosis--inside the arena as well as outside. In addition to the land battle outside, we will also witness an aerial dogfight between Jedi fighters and droid fighters. This doesn?t take place in space (I don?t think), but within Geonosis? atmosphere--probably close to the ground, at times. I think this is fantastic. With the rock formations, mountains, and tall spires, there should be plenty of obstacles to zip through that will make such a dogfight very exciting. This is the closest thing we?ll get to a large-scale air battle (in AotC), and it has the potential to be every bit as wonderful as a space battle.

I?m just not sure how much time can be spent on it, considering all the other stuff that is going on at the same time. I hope it?s grand.

One more consideration:
    I haven?t seen the new LEGO scans, but I?ve heard that the jedi fighter ?changes? form in some way. I don?t know if that means the wings expand, swing, or what (anyone want to enlighten me?). But if that is true, then perhaps it does so to help its maneuverability when it is flying (and fighting) in atmospheric conditions. Maybe we?ll see that in the aerial battle. Of course, since I haven?t seen the picture, I really don?t know what I?m talking about...just speculating.

2. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    Rock on, I have been saying that there will most likely be an aerial dogfight for a while, because GL was inspired by old WW2 planes and that is the one thing we have not seen yet in any of the SW flicks.

3. DARK_SCORE

DARK_SCORE Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2000
    COOOOL! :D

4. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    It would make sense, since it is widely believed that the TF battleship is "parked" on the planet's surface.

5. darth_gilgamesh

darth_gilgamesh Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2001
  6. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Shouldn't that be plural T_K? TF Battleships?

7. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Who gave out this news? I've been following reports for quite some time and never heard about aerial dogfights between Jedi Starfighters and Droidfighters.

8. darth_gilgamesh

darth_gilgamesh Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2001
    face, other people know more than you hook line

9. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    I guess I'm not the only one who missed it the first time.... ;)

Does anyone remember the scene in ?Independence Day? when Will Smith is fighting the aliens in his ship, zipping through the mountains, about 1000 ft over the surface, blasting away? When I saw it, I thought it would make a great sequence in a SW flick. Maybe this will be similar, but on a much grander and more exciting scale.

BTW, I didn?t care for ID, other than that.

EDIT: Can anyone confirm that the Jedifighter LEGO toy 'transforms' in some way?

10. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    I know gil. I was asking where this news came from. I thought I was up to date with my spoilers. Apparently i'm not. Don't be a jerk gilga.

11. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Where'd you hear this? I admit I'm not up on all the info but I haven't heard about this at all.

12. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    >>I haven?t seen the new LEGO scans, but I?ve heard that the jedi fighter ?changes? form in some way. I don?t know if that means the wings expand, swing, or what (anyone want to enlighten me?).<<

Dal, probably just an added gimmick to sell more toys, and not shown in the film. Happens all the time, with new features being added to make the toy more multi-dimensional.

>>Shouldn't that be plural T_K? TF Battleships?<<

Not sure, TK327. Scriptment says ships. You're probably right. But you get the point anyway.

13. Taun_We

Taun_We Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2001
    People like COJ and Ternian talked about it in a couple of threads a month or two ago.

14. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Sadly, the Jedi fighter transforms into battle mode, with guns a poppin. I like the idea of the fighter having only defensive capability, which is likely what we'll see in the film.

15. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    Yeah...it's been mentioned by people who are 'in-da-know' in various threads...some here, and some on the X-boards.

I'm surprised that it seemed to slip past everyone. I only found out about it a couple weeks ago.

EDIT: I even heard that SI was 'most looking forward to this scene'...although he could have been referring to the whole battle, not just the dogfight. Maybe he'll pop in here to add a little info.

16. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Note to self. Remember to check out the Episode X boards.

17. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Why's it 'sad' that the Jedi Fighter may switch to attack mode?
    X-Wings and B-Wings do.
    Plus the droid starfighters did.

18. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Well, for one, it just plain looks aweful. Secondly, one of the ideas regarding the Jedi ship was that it was to have no offensive weaponry. This is more consistent with the Jedi philosophy.

19. BLKNIGHT18

BLKNIGHT18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 2001
    wascally, I guess someone thinks that for a fighter to be consistent with the code of the jedi who fly it, they shouldn't have an attack mode because Jedi only fight in defense. I don't agree with that however. Bringing a jedi fighter to attack mode is like lighting your saber.

20. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Don't forget Ben's words about a blaster being a clumsy and random weapon. Any kind of blaster, be it hand held or attached to a ship, isn't appropriate for a Jedi.

21. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Well the ship needs offensive weapons. It's not like the Jedi never attack. They don't carry personal shield generators, they carry lightsabres. Sure a blaster is clumsy but it's the best they can do in a ship.

22. darthdoug

darthdoug Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2001
    When Yoda says that Jedi do not attack, I think he means that they never initialize a conflict. It doesn't mean that they just fly around waiting for the enemy to shoot them. Once they are already in a fight, the gloves come off, so to speak. They still have to stay calm and use the lightside, but there aren't too many "rules" in a life or death fight.

23. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    I now have this vision of the Jedi Starfighter's guns firing ignited lightsabres.

24. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    >>I now have this vision of the Jedi Starfighter's guns firing ignited lightsabres.<<

Congratulations.

You just gave those fools at Hasbro an idea.

25. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    I don't know anything about the lego fighter, but the new Hasbro line of Jedi Starighters transforms. It's sidesslide inward and on each end of the wings two more little wings separate like on an X-wing. I don't know if that means that the fighter will actually transform in the movie. I remember a Japanese 3PO action figure that was shooting missiles from it's belly, but 3PO never did that in any of the movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.