main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Atmospheric dogfight over Geonosis

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Damillster, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    There are at least a dozen sphere ships that leave Geonosis. Easy pickings for the Cruiser's guns and Jedi Fighters, that's what makes me think they leave before the battle takes place. Additionally, artwork shows just the spheres leaving, no other ships/vehicles in the vicinity and Obi-Wan is looking at something through those binocs, seeing as everything (save the Arena) is underground on Geonosis I think he could be witnessing thier departure.

2. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    So the Clones and Jedi will be too late to prevent the dispersal of the droids? Hence, the clones boarding cruisers at the end of the film. Off to find those pesky droids (or so we're led to believe)?

3. Echo_Base

Echo_Base Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    Thats what I reckon.

But, we digress. ILM has taken a little bit of a bashing by AICN amongst others recently, and to be fair the fx in The Mummy Returns and HP werent the best at certain points. This battle sequence will restore all faith in them. This and the Kamino fight.
    You WILL go NUTS for this!

4. C-3P0

C-3P0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    ILM did not do the effects for Harry Potter.

However, they will be doing the effects on the sequal due out next November.

5. darth maze

darth maze Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 1999
    This arena must be pretty huge if spacecraft are landing in it. I know Slave 1 isn't the biggest of ships, but don't the gunships carrying the clones land inside also? If they are the same ships that the clones are marching up into in the trailors then they are huge. How big is this thing? Didn't the scripment say that thousands of droids are in the arena battling Jedi? Plus you have the Jango-Mace-Reek thing going on. Am I picturing this wrong or is this arena just huge?

6. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    In the trailer, the clones are boarding cruisers. In the Geonesis battle, the clones will arrive in the much smaller gunships.

7. darth maze

Aug 6, 1999
    Very quickly in defense of ILM, they said their post production time was cut by about two weeks to release the film earlier so they did the best they could with the time they had. That is why the Scorpion King looks, well, terrible.

8. darth maze

Aug 6, 1999
    Thanks TK327, that makes more sense about the clones and their ships. But I'm still thinking that this arena needs to be pretty big. Every time it is described as a Gladitorial Arena I can't help but draw comparisons to Gladiator. That is why I'm wondering how all this stuff is going to fit. But this is Star Wars and everything is on a much grander scale. Right?

9. Echo_Base

Echo_Base Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    This is gonna be BIG.
    As in B I G!!!
    I thought the Gunships disembarked from the Clone transports in orbit above Geonosis.
    But I could be wrong... ;)

10. bleh19

bleh19 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2001
    When its Jedi vs Droids, its all inside the arena. It spills out everywhere when the clones show up...to my understanding.

11. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    Man, this Geonosis battle sounds better and better ALL THE TIME! May 16 can't come soon enough!

12. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    Clones vs Droids does not take place in the arena.

Once the Jedi get on the Gunships I'll be suprised if we get any more shots of the arena after they take off. The "Arena Battle" is just the battle that takes place between Jedi and Droids.

13. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    In order;

1, Obi-Wan, Anakin and Padme battle Arena creatures.
    2, Mace and approx. 200 Jedi show up.
    3, Mace battles Jango, in background Jedi battle droids, Geonosians, SBDs and Droidekas.
    4, About 15 Jedi are left in the middle of the Arena - last stand.
    5, Gunships show up and whisk the Jedi away.
    6, Gunship carrying Obi-Wan, Padme and Anakin flies over battlefield outside the Arena, it is the Geonosian Landing Field. This is where the large battle takes place not the Arena.
    7, Gunship spots Dooku and gives chase.
    8, Padme falls out and is recued by Clones.
    9, Obi-Wan and Anakin continue (after small argument) to challenge Dooku in his hangar.

14. Damillster

Damillster Jedi Master star 4

Jul 24, 2000
    And then the REAL battle takes place!

So...when does Slave 1 land in the arena? Maybe just before the clones arrive? Maybe he finds his pa, and then splits just as the Gunships descend?

15. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Slave I landing is not in the script. I think it doesn't happen.

16. XackAttack

XackAttack Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    Is there any pics of the super battledroids that are fighting?

17. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Not in the public domain, no.

18. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Ok. When the first teaser hit theatres. Many (including myself) claimed that the clones were boarding vessels on what looked to be like Geonosis. Then all these harpies came and ripped people apart for what they were saying. I remember telling people that I remember an orange sky and a rugged ground in that shot. Then I was attacked by people saying "Oh no. It's Coruscant that they're leaving from. You were mistaken. The special effects aren't complete yet so the skyscrappers weren't added yet." What i'm getting from this thread is that they do board the ships on Geonosis and pursue the fleeing Droid ships. Am I correct on this?

Now if they're boarding the ships on Geonosis. What happened to the scene with Palpatine and the Senators watching thousands of clones boarding ships on Coruscant? Correct me if i'm wrong. Are the Senators watching them board from cameras?

19. Vanda

Vanda Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    That scene takes place on Coruscant. And as far as the people watching it, they are standing, looking down at the square below from a balcony.

20. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Thanks Vanda. That's good to know. At least my posts in that thread were beaten down for a reason.

21. Vanda

Vanda Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    LOL. Glad to help. :)

22. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    Taking this back to the atmospheric battle a little bit, I think that generally the idea sounds really great.

One of the things that?s bugged me about Star Wars and the discussions surrounding the climatic battles is that people tend to think on very linear terms. Basically, if a dog fight is to ensure in the new movie then it must happen in space, that a large ship will be involved and that the entire sequence will end with it?s spontaneous destruction.
    Yet it never occurred that a wide range of battles, endless possibilities could occur, and this is a prime example.

I?d love to see some Jedi Starfighters battling Droid Starfighters through the atmosphere of Genosis, swinging through rocky canyons, around the arena and diving low to the ground, all the while trading barrages of laser blasts and proton torpedoes. Perhaps even there will be a moment where the feeling gunships have to fight their way through clouds of fighting wings and exploding masses of ships.

23. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Perhaps this is where Oppo and Even come into play. These two will be the ones we can identify in the fighters. We'll be watching them in the dogfights over Geonosis. Cos I think we all agree that the two would look positivly ridiculous fighting with lightsabres on the ground. Perhaps this is why they were addedto the cast list so late. They were cgi'd into the fighters. Is it possible?

24. Indy2

Indy2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    I proclaim this the most interesting thread in the last 4 months

25. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    I second that claim!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.