ATOC on IMAX

Discussion in 'Tulsa, OK' started by RogerRoger517, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogerRoger517 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Saw on the TFN main board that ATOC is going to be opening in IMAX theaters in the US as soon as late this month. Has anyone heard anything the IMAX theater here at Cinimax, I don't really know very much about IMAX.
  2. Shadoe42 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Its big...kinda roundish...all I know :)

grr..okay one thing that REALLY irritates me about this board...the only 1 reply per minute thing...can I help it if I can outtype thier dang timer!
  3. MysticTrunks01 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, our Imax is a large Square roughly 4 stories tall, it has some 56 speakers surrounding you. It isnt as large as some but your closer to the screen then most so it makes up for it. I will call Cenemark and see if they are going to get this or not, because i'll be there that day if they do.
  4. RogerRoger517 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ed, you talking about me??
  5. MysticTrunks01 Jedi Master

star 4
  6. Shadoe42 Jedi Knight

star 3
    hmm...well...no I was speaking of the IMAX....but hey if you feel you are big and kinda roundish....well...you can join the club :) but hey I'm in shape...pear is a shape...
  7. Calli Force Ghost

star 4
    I love the sound on the IMAX! we went and saw LOTR:FOTR on the Imax, granted it wasn't a full screen, but the sound! WOW! When the ring wraiths screech I could feel it in bones!
  8. Forceofvader Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yeah I heard about that when the movie first came out. I checked with Cenemark a couple of weeks ago and they didn't know anything. I didn't see that one coming. DUH
  9. pinata242 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Saw Minority Report there this weekend and wasn't that impressed with the whole experience. Great movie (though I'd have ended it slightly different), but not worth the added premium that is IMAX. Not to mention the speakers kept popping and dropping out.

Still, if somehow they managed to play it digitally there, I'd pay 5x what I did. That ain't likely to happen.
  10. RogerRoger517 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Is the IMAX here digital?
  11. pinata242 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I don't know for sure, but logic tells me that Lucas pushed to get AOTC in EVERY digital projection theater. Since it wasn't there, I'd assume no digital.
  12. MysticTrunks01 Jedi Master

star 4
    It isnt digital, i think its like 75mm film (regular movies are 35 right?) and the picture is clear and bigger because of that, but still not digital
  13. darkjedi Force Ghost

star 2
    Yes, the film is thicker. It also does not have a soundtrack on it. They run the sound off a dvd player. Cool stuff.

I talked to the general manager and he said that in order to put Star Wars on the IMAX screen Lucas demands 95% of ticket sales. He said unless that position changes, then they will not run Star Wars here in Tulsa.

I also asked him about the chances of getting a digital screen here. He said that the chain that owns the theater is good at keeping up to date on things like that. He had no inside information but said there is a chance.
  14. designhero Jedi Knight

Just to let you know the actual IMAX films are run on a similar to 75mm film. But when they show regular films in there it is run on a traditional 35mm projector. You can see it off to the right if you look back towards the projection booth.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.