Atomfilms deadline passed - anybody enter?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by drawmarkee, Apr 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. drawmarkee Jedi Knight

star 1

The rules were tight and the timeframe short, but I managed to put out something I'm really happy with. I'm sure I will be soundly trounced if this is a taboo topic, but I think I've heard it mentioned a few times, so I ask ... did anybody else make the deadline?

Greg
  2. tumblemoster Jedi Master

star 4
    I think Zayn got something in....

-tm
  3. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    I belive, DARTH VADER'S PSYCHIC HOTLINE
    and 3000 Pounds of Porkins were entered
  4. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Since Azeem is the creator of 3000 Pounds of Porkins, and if he wins the Atomfilms competition he'll have to take his own film down from his own site, I'm pretty sure 3000 pounds wasn't entered. :)

There where quite a few people that actually managed to make and finish their films on time though, which is pretty impressive stuff. My money is still on Power of the Sith though

(I will lose the money I realise, but...)
  5. Bowtie Jedi Knight

star 1
    Foamy and I made the deadline with our entry, "House Wars". We haven't heard anything back though. Which I think may be a bad sign. Has anyone else, out of the "we barely made the deadline" people heard anything as far as acceptance goes?

Thanks,
    Bowtie
  6. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    I entered long ago. Don't think I'm gonna get in though. :(
  7. Nathan PTH Jedi Master

star 4
    I entered with something called "Atomfilms Can Kiss My Honkey White Rear-Cheeks." Somehow, it didn't get in.

:smirk:
  8. darthdastoli Force Ghost

star 3
    I submitted the Imperial Center Infomercial Channel to them back in early August and never heard anything from them. I made sure that I didn't use any copywrited sounds or music, and then they don't even have the decency to tell me that they don't want it.
  9. Foamy-the-Freaka-dog Jedi Knight

star 2
    I agree that they should at least send a form letter say you did or did not make it. It seems quite trashy not to respond in some fashion. What I don't understand is why people were so pissed about the rules. It is George's ball game if you don't like the rules don't play. Lucas allows us to play with copyrighted material, when there is no money at stake, it is homage to him and his creation, and great fun for all of us involved in fan films, we should be thankful that he allos us to do so, but we cannot expect him to put his seal of approval on things that abuse copyright, either his or someone elses (John WIlliams, Lynard Skynard, ect. . . ). Atom films is the offical Lucas sanctioned parody site, he has to obey the law to protect himself and others. When you make a fan film you know that no matter how much work you put into it, if it violates any copyright, it can be shut down. I am glad Lucas opened the door to give people a chance to showcase their work at Celebration, and I am also glad he affords us the opportunity to showcase our work to the world, here at TFN. Don't bite the hand that feeds you, or you might end up neutered.

Foamy
  10. drawmarkee Jedi Knight

star 1
    Has anyone else, out of the
    "we barely made the deadline" people heard
    anything as far as acceptance goes?

That's my question, indeed. I shipped my submission on Friday the 29th of March, and it was received by them on the 2nd of April (I tracked it on UPS, like the sad paranoid that I am). I have had some contact along the way with a man at AtomShockwave named Scott Roesch, who was gracious enough to answer all my questions. Perhaps he'll answer one more.

It really would be nice, at the very least, for them to send out a confirmation email so we know our package went to the right address. Ahh well.

I'm quite sure that next week will be the "big week". Atomfilms wants all final stuff (distribution contracts, master tapes, etc.) by Friday the 12th, according to the rules, so I guess we'll all know in a week.

Good luck to everybody who entered.

Anybody want to elaborate on the subject of their projects? I'm interested in what those of us who chose to work WITH the rules came up with.

Greg
  11. Zayn Jedi Knight

star 3
    I entered 'Why Gone Denobi and the Great Disturbance in the Force'

I finished it just in time...
  12. drawmarkee Jedi Knight

star 1
    Let us know if you get a response, Zayn ... I guess ANYBODY who finished at the last minute should let us know if they hear anything.

I suppose the fact is that most of the entrants won't hear anything, ever. With films like Phantom Menace Prologue and Darth Vader: The Rudy Pirani Story making the finalists, however, I really think my movie has a chance. Nothing against those films, of course, I just think mine is better (what a surprise, huh? :))

13. Foamy-the-Freaka-dog Jedi Knight

star 2
    What the *bleep* are you *bleepin* talkin about that was the *bleep* *bleepinist* best *bleep* I ever *bleep* In the *bleep*. :D

Foamy

Also, *bleep* because I *bleep*.
  14. drawmarkee Jedi Knight

star 1
    LOL -- my God, the IRONY of hearing foul-mouthed Jedi almost blew my mind! Good effort, though. My impression was that they wanted to do lightsabers and make themselves laugh. They succeeded, so good for them.

I had some of that "censoring" in my film, too, but without the beeps. My movie is a parody of the "making of" documentaries on the Episode I DVD. When my Rick McCallum-esque character comes to survey the damage done to the location sets, you might guess his choice of phrasing.

Greg
  15. TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff

VIP
    star 4
    Like Greg, I've also been trading emails with Scott Roesch... I finished DARTH VADER'S PSYCHIC HOTLINE last Sunday, overnighted it out Monday, and they received it Tuesday... this much I know...

From talking with Scott, they were inundated with last minute entries... the last thing I heard from him was Friday morning, after expressing concerns about making sure all the paperwork would be able to be completed by the 12th... he wrote "All I can say is be patient -- our judges are reviewing A LOT of entries. You will hear from them very soon. Thanks for your enthusiasm!"

I know they've got it, and it's in review... but I haven't been told yet that it's been accepted...

Fenn
  16. Foamy-the-Freaka-dog Jedi Knight

star 2
    A descrepency I noticed in the atom film rules.

"Finalists in each category will be selected between December 20, 2001 and April 12, 2002...Distribution contracts, master tapes or files, and other documents must be returned signed within the earlier of fourteen (14) days of notification of selection by AtomFilms and 2pm Pacific Time on April 12, 2002."

How can you be selected on the 12th and be expected to have you contract in on the 12th. What gives?
    Anyway, so far that puts us at four entries, Greg, Zyan, Fenn and I. Anybody else?

Foamy
  17. drawmarkee Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wow, it's great to get some real information! Thank you, Fenn. I hope everybody's projects are reviewed (especially mine, haha).

I have a feeling that there will be many entries which are better than what they've already posted. Hopefully that means that if it's good, it's a finalist ... however, it may mean that some good films will be passed over because they're over-limit. If the big man is indeed planning to watch everything, I'm sure they won't have 12 hours worth of films for him to sit through!

Anybody want to give overviews of their specific films? As I said, I'd like to know more about what people managed to come up with given the rules of the game. Once the 16th rolls around perhaps we can start a new thread about the finalists and voting.

18. Foamy-the-Freaka-dog Jedi Knight

star 2
    Title: House Wars
    Running time: 7.5 min
    Premise: Seven Star Wars characters forced to live under the same roof. How will they cope? Can the co-exsist? Find out on, "House Wars"!
  19. DavidZevin Jedi Knight

Yeah, I did. 65th Sense: Episode 1 The Retired Menace. I got my friend to compose an original score and I re-mixed it and sent it just before the deadline. I hope I met all their other guidelines. Anyway, good luck to the other entrants. :)

-David Zevin
  20. Golden-Y Force Ghost

star 3
    who should i vote for?
    some of your guys' work is good.
  21. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    hmm I wonder how they'll handle the voting. If it is by accounts I'll just get one for each film :p
  22. drawmarkee Jedi Knight

star 1
    Just watched your film, David -- good work. I'll bet that remix was somewhat painful ...

Here's my film's info, since I'm asking for all of yours':

Title: SW Project
    Running time: 12:00
    Genre: Comedy - Mockumentary
    Story: The camera follows fictional filmmaker Draw Markee as he attempts to put together a Star Wars-themed short film with a "unique" angle. Enlisting the help of friends and props, he goes to work ...
  23. drawmarkee Jedi Knight

star 1
    I just finished the first-edition companion site for my film, SW Project. I've been up all night working on it, so you'd better look! There are a couple paragraphs of back story, the cast and crew list, and a fast-downloading 30-second teaser trailer.

Just go to www.televisiongood.com and look for the "SW Project" link. You won't miss it. Any comments are welcome; just post on this thread if you like. Thanks!

Greg
  24. Cockatiel Jedi Knight

star 2
    Next year it's my time to submit ... hopefully.

NO, IT WILL BE!

Ok, guess my mind is confident, better do what it says.

Congrats on all you guys work. :)

EDIT: To the makers of "Crazy Watto" can you tell me what computer system you used to animate Watto on, he looks fantastic.
  25. TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff

VIP
    star 4
    Cockatiel:
    You're joking, right? Crazy Watto was animated by hand... literally... it's Sandy Clark's hand just out of frame (mostly) holding the 12" Watto figure from Hasbro and moving it live as he does the dialogue... no computers... :D
    And he's staying on TF.N... I didn't enter that into the contest...

DARTH VADER'S PSYCHIC HOTLINE is a parody of both Star Wars and the Miss Cleo infomercials, with "D.V." taking over the Miss Cleo role... various Star Wars characters call in with their problems, and most of Vader's dialogue is lines from the movies... they just sounded so perfect, and for the fans, I think, make it funnier....
    The other cool bit is I got some celebrities I know from the science fiction/fantasy genre to play some of the callers (kinda like FRASIER does)... so listen for Kevin J. Anderson, Claudia Christian, Peter David, and Mike Jittlov...
    Or check out this link for some screenshots...
    [image=http://home.usit.net/~f-shysa/Vader/JarJarCall.jpg]

Fenn
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.