main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Atomfilms deadline passed - anybody enter?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by drawmarkee, Apr 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    All of these entries sound really great. :)

2. Cockatiel

Cockatiel Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2002
    Ah I only saw two pics of Crazy Watto in the theater section as it's a big download and it's late here in Oz, and from those pics he looks CGI.

Incidentally, for Vader Psychic Hotline what computer did you use for the Bluescreen backgrounds and editing?

3. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Mine was called "Horror Beyond Your Imagination". It's about two guys discussing a movie they're on line for. We think it's "Attack of the Clones", but at the end it's revealed to be "The Rocky Horror Picture Show".

Still no word on if it's in... :(

4. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    Lightwave 3D for the backgrounds, edited and composited on a Media 100i with Boris Red... and those were difficukt composites, let me tell you... that helmet reflected a TON of blue...

And most of those backgrounds aren't just stills... there's some camera movement, stuff in the monitors, stuff flying by outside the windows... lots of little things to break it up and make it a more interesting background....

Fenn

5. jedimaster chris

jedimaster chris Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 1999
    Mine was very rushed because I had to finish another project but I managed to get mine in a day early.

It was called "How Star Wars Has Influenced My Life", it is a documtenary, and although I really liked it, if I had ALOT more time I woud have more confidence about even having a chance to make it in the finals, but we'll see.

Good luck to everyone!

6. Cockatiel

Apr 4, 2002
    Fenn,

How about the system, a PC or Mac?

Why I ask is that I am currently shopping for a new computer and am interested in what parts you used that could handle and edit your film.

Thanks. :)

7. DavidZevin

DavidZevin Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2001
    Hey, TheRealFennShysa, that sounds like a great idea for a short. I'd love to hear what Kevin Anderson and Peter David discover about their future. And... "me just love Miss Cleo." ;) In fact, I do a pretty good impression of her, so if you need a Cleo Vader tete a tete I'm your man. Well, good luck. I hope the tarot cards have good tings in store fer us all. :)

-David Zevin

8. TheRealFennShysa

Oct 7, 2000
    David:
    Just Fenn, please... :) Anyway, Kevin and Peter don't play themselves... they play Luke Skywalker and an Imperial officer, respectively... and Vader sounds like Vader as well, at least as close as I could make it...)

Cockatiel:
    The Media 100 is on a new maxed-out G4 Mac, but the Lightwave backgrounds were done on PC and then fired across our internal network to the Media 100... our footage also looks so good because it was shot with professional 3-chip DVCpro cameras... that really helps when it comes to compositing...

Fenn

9. unclepain

unclepain Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    "Power of the Sith" made the deadline. I was able to get a friend of mine to compose some original music and I created new ship/planet animations using an "official" Star Wars 3D ship model. Atomfilms sent me an e-mail saying I was accepted and sent me a bunch of attachments in an e-mail to fill out. Bunch of legal documents, actor release forms, music release forms etc... and I had to submit for a copyright and send them the proof that I had sent in my film to the Library of Congress. It was quite a chore and the last step now is that I need to copy the film to BetaSP tapes and have it in before Friday.

Daft- thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm sure POTS will be soundly trashed by some of the other really great films that were submitted. There's some incredible talent out there doing great stuff, so I'm not very hopeful.

Good luck to everyone who entered! This is going to be a fun month!

Jeremy

10. TheRealFennShysa

Oct 7, 2000
    When did you sent all this stuff, and when did they get your tape?

11. unclepain

Mar 6, 2002
    I had POTS submitted before the end of March sometime. Don't remember exactly when. I got my first e-mail from Atom on April 1st.

Jeremy

12. Zayn

Zayn Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 1999
    lol nm for some reason my eyes skipped the post before mine...

Im really worried though... tommrow is the day where if we dont hear anything we are out... and I haven't heard anything yet :(

13. jwdenzel

jwdenzel Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    Hi all, I'm a lurker here on this board.

For all who were asking, I got a late entry in on time. I think i shipped it the last day of March, but I mailed it with overnight delivery.

I heard back last Friday (the 5th) that it had been picked as a finalist. They need the release forms, music sheets, etc etc....

It's called "Pod Commuting" and is about a guy who is late to work so he goes to work in a pod racer.

We had a blast making it, but there's some heavy competition. Star Geeks looked REALLY good.

I'm just glad GL will get to see it.

Best of luck to everyone else. I hope you hear the good news soon!

--Jason

14. TheRealFennShysa

Oct 7, 2000
    Why tomorrow? The final deadline I saw said April 12... that's Friday...

Jason:
    Is your paperwork deadline still 4/12?

I just got off the phone a little while ago with Steve Sansweet, who's one of the review committee... he said the AtomFilms people were over at LucasFilm Friday afternoon with the last batch of submissions (which unfortunately he missed some of <including mine> as he was late for the meeting)... he expected those selected should hear from them today or tomorrow, but admitted that the AtomFilms people were swamped with last-minute entries...

That's all I know as of now...

Fenn

15. unclepain

Mar 6, 2002
    The deadline to get your film in to Atom was April 5th and it had to be VHS. See this post on TFN:

Celebration II Fan Film Contest Deadline
    Fri, Apr 05, 02 09:51:33 AM EST

Today is April 5 and the deadline to submit to the Celebration Fan Films contest has been reached. You can check out the first batch of finalist on AtomFilms at:
    http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/af/spotlights/starwars/

The April 12th deadline is for those who have been accepted to get in their paperwork and a copy of the film on Beta tape for digitizing etc. (at least this is how it was explained to me by the legal rep from Atom.) If you didn't get it in by the 5th, I don't think you made it. :(
    I don't know how they expect everyone to get all the paperwork, etc. together in a few days if they are still deciding who made the cut. I dunno.

16. Zayn

Aug 1, 1999
    I remember reading that you'll hear something from them by the 9th- if not you didn't make it

oh! and the 5th was the day everything was due- not when they send out word if your submitted or not... I seem to recall that's the 9th

BTW if anyone in SO.Cal needs transfuring to beta SP (or you need a place to get cheep betas) out school has a machine and I'd be happy to help out (assuming you can come down... and all that good stuff)

17. jwdenzel

jwdenzel Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    VHS tapes were due on the 5th. I got mine in on the 1st.

If you are a finalist, you will hear by the 9th they said. I heard on the 5th.

The final paperwork is due on the 12th. HOPEFULLY I will be done tomorrow, and they will have it on the 10th (if I ship overnight. I only live a few miles from them anyway).

I wonder how may TOTAL finalists there will be

-Jason

18. Foamy-the-Freaka-dog

Foamy-the-Freaka-dog Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2001
    I also remember reading that if you did not hear from them by the 9th then the answer was no. I believe our submission got there on march 28th and we haven'y heard so I think the answer for House Wars is no. But there is still a little hope I guess.

Foamy

19. TheRealFennShysa

Oct 7, 2000
    I'M IN! Paperwork arrived a little while ago, just got off the phone with AtomFilms... now to contact everyone involved for the releases and such.... let the paperwork begin!

Vote for it! :)

Fenn

20. drawmarkee

drawmarkee Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2002
    I am quite pleased to announce that SW PROJECT has been accepted as a finalist! I'll be giggling for days. Tomorrow I get to call everybody who was involved with the film as well as my old filmmaking instructor, my gramma, and a few high school buddies. Woohoo!!!

Indeed, the footwork to be endured over the next few days will be a pain-in-the-butt (not to mention the costs involved, as Digital Betacam tapes and NextDayAir shipping ain't cheap) but if this rush of adreneline holds up I should be just fine. ;)

I think George will enjoy my film, and I hope you all get a chance to see it! Man, now I REALLY wish I was going to Celebration!

Greg

21. Zayn

Aug 1, 1999
    I haven't heard anything yet... :\ was all the paper work and stuff sent via email?

22. drawmarkee

Jan 10, 2002
    In my case, the "paperwork" was in the form of Word docs attached to a brief congratulatory email.

Incidentally, my old filmmmaking teacher and my gramma are two different people (see previous post).

Still giddy but not gloaty -- Greg

23. Cockatiel

Apr 4, 2002
    Thanks Fenn, in the words of C-3P0 regarding your entry:

"Wonderful!" ;)

And that goes for everyone else too, now fight to the death! :D

24. drawmarkee

Jan 10, 2002
    Oh, and a hearty congratulations to:

-- unclepain with "Power of the Sith"
    -- jwdenzel with "Pod Commuting", which sounds really fun
    -- Fenn with "Darth Vader's Psychic Hotline"

Congrats are also in order for everybody who put forth the effort of completing a project. A lot of people balked at the strict rules, but I knew there would be those willing to work with it and put out something they can be proud of.

Good luck to us all!

25. trevor_lamb

trevor_lamb Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2002
    Hi,

My brother and I entered our entry "The Bounty Hunters Talk Back" a week before the deadline and haven't heard anything back, so I guess we weren't successful.

What is everybody going to do with their entries if they aren't chosen? Let me know. I would like to see them.

Where they animations? documentaries?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.