main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Attaching a BIped

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by fireresq7, Dec 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Can anyone teach me how to attach a biped to a 3d model? I know how to make a biped but I have no clue how to link the two together.
    Thanks
    ~Rory

2. Darksteps

Darksteps Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    ok... this is something that cannot be easily described in here... so let me sum up...

create your biped inside your mesh, select your mesh, apply a Physique modifier and select the biped's root as the link point...

now comes the difficult, tedious, pulling your hair out(if you have any), part... now is where you adjust envelopes... envelopes control which bones are going to affect which parts of the mesh... once you get those done, move things around to see if they work right, tweak, move, tweak, etc, etc...

that's the summed up version, try google or the help file for a much, much, much more detailed and complex tutorial...
    ;)
    Darksteps...

3. d_eisenga

d_eisenga Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2001
    this tutorial is really helpful when learning about character modelling and animation. theres a section about bones and such.

4. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    Well the part I have difficulty (so far) is trying to make my model one complete mesh. the model I have is all in separate pieces...how do I make it one whole mesh?

5. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    You don't have to, you can select all of them and then apply the physique modifier, attatch it to Bip01 then they will all be connected to the whole biped. If a part of the mesh vertices don't get close enough to be attatched, then make the biped larger and reattatch it again. You should hide the biped when you are rendering though.

6. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    I've tried that already but when I try to click the intialize button(little man w/red dot) the button does not stay on...any thoughts?

EDIT:Seriously
    If anyone would like to attach the biped for me I would gladly pay for the work...(I have PAYPAL!)

7. Jedi_Kyeju

Jedi_Kyeju Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    How did you do those Battle Droids in the jedi Saga trailer without a Biped?

8. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    That took me a while to figure out too.
    The Battle Droids already had a biped attached. All I did was add footsteps (either to walk or run) and that was that 3dmax had it all there for me.
    I just can't attach Bipeds to these two models I bought from Turbo Squid. I downloaded an alien and a skeleton warrior. With the Alien, I was able to attach the biped (somewhat) but when I move his arms the finger tips stayed in the original spot and the fingers stretch all the way to whereever I put his arm. and the skeleton....well I can't even attach it.
    I'm sending out an S.O.S!!
    LOL
    ~Rory

9. Jedi_Kyeju

Jedi_Kyeju Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    Yea i tried to attach a biped to a Darth Maul mesh and it did the same thing.

10. MKane

MKane Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    You got to watch your deformation envelopes. Make sure that all pixels are included withing the assigned bone's envelopes. If not, then the bones move but any 'orphaned' vertex stays where it is.

11. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    would anyone like to help me attach the biped?
    I will gladly pay!

12. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    You can't group something together and then apply a biped, it just won't allow you to, but sure I'll do it for you, no pay.

13. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    thanks Darth Viper...I sent you an email!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.