main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Attachment vs marriage

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darth_frared, Sep 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    There have been some exceptional posts in this thread. Makes great reading. Here's my analysis of the troubles with attachment, possession and marriage.

One of the most difficult aspects of human nature is the gravity of possession. If one loves it is natural to want to possess because thats the symbotic relationship between everything. Just like the sun loves to possess the planets with gravity we love to possess those objects in our environment. And to a point, humans, like the planets, love to be possessed by the sun or a central loving secure being. Written into both the laws of man and the laws of nature is a possessiveness and attachment to what is loved.

But can we ever possess another being? Can we ever possess another soul like we would possess a car or house?

We all like to be relatively near those we love like the planets like to be near the sun. But when that nearness turns to obsession, control, and manipulation we slip onto the dark side of the force. Jealousy is not natural. The planets do not waist their time being jealous of each other. There is nothing natural about wanting to be the only planet in the solar system. And we cannot possess or buy a sun. Marriage is forbidden by the Jedi Order as it deals with the tremendous problem of attachment and possessiveness by avoiding the ego's drive toward exclusivity. Instead of being the only planet in the solar system each Jedi is joined by other beings. They have to share the light and the love. They can still bask in the field of belonging, they can all belong to each other, but no one can get too possessive of another. Whereas the Sith attempt to possessive everything a keep the dark to themsleves.

There are two entirely different views of the universe and everything in it. There is the minds view, set up form the separate observer type consciousness and there is the hearts point of reference which is completely different. Whenever we look at anything; from the psychology of relationships to pain and suffering to spirituality and enlightenment, the hearts perceptual perspective will always be radically different than the separative ego mind. The heart sees things pretty much upside down from the head which is cut off from the heart. When the heart is under the dominion of the separate self we are bound to suffer until the heart breaks free.

The Jedi must learn to see when their love is blind. When they risk relating to others from the heart they must also see that all the levels of consciousness are in proper alignment. They must face the differences eventually, those differences that usually spell the death of romance. Romance is that blindness to the differences that never lasts. They need courage to look at the differences before they break into those types of conflicts that destroy our precious heart to heart connections. So the most basic investigation in any love relationship is the willingness to communicate and work out all the differences and conflicts when they arise. If this willingness is there it does not matter what the differences are. With this willingness to communicate and change the Jedi can work it all out if they truly hold love in our hearts. But love never makes demands on the universe or the Force. Love, the true love of the heart is never trying to cut off our loved ones from their own freedom and individuality. The true love of the heart is beyond the ego controlled heart center which is into insecurity, jealousy, possession and control.

Marriage should not have been prohibited by the Jedi Order. Instead each jedi should have been trained how to deal with their emotions and have healthy relationships that do not lead to possession or attachment.

When Anakin Skywalker was faced with the threat of losing his possession he hadnled it alone. He did not talk to Padme about it. He did not and could not talk to the Jedi. Instead he took the option given to him by the Devil Palpatine. His possession and need for control increased and in the end his blind choices lead to the death of his loved one.

"When are we go

2. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    to sum it up, lucas is really into controlling your emotions, he thinks this is a MAJOR factor for human society to evolve, thats why he included so much of the non attachment thing since its totally based on emotion. he really believes we should be more emotionally mature, since thats the only we can evolve with all the destructive technology we have i.e., nuclear weapons, without blowing everything up. we need to grow up with our technology, not let technology overwhelm us

3. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i like that you put in emotionally mature. i think that makes sense. i believe that emotions are things we have to get to know about ourselves and acknowledge them. this is probably the only way we grow.
    i disagree about the control issue. i don't read any lucas material, so i'm not sure what he says about it, but i feel uneasy with controlling emotions. to my mind emotions cannot be controlled as such.

what has transpired through this thread and elsewhere in my thinking is that there is this concept of duty. swearing your life to the jedi order entails duty. and i have no idea what that means.
    soldiers, as has been discussed here, are made to believe in their duty more than in their own beliefs, essentially in boot camps their will is broken and they are to believe they kill and die for someone' benefit. it can't be theirs, only in the long run maybe.

i do think that this idea of duty, which is somewhat mysterious to me (maybe because i never served anywhere), ties in with what people are saying here, that maybe loving someone in the order wouldn't have been a problem, neither being attached to the order itself. that's probably fine.

The Jedi must learn to see when their love is blind. When they risk relating to others from the heart they must also see that all the levels of consciousness are in proper alignment.

hm, master shaitan, i applaud your thoughts, surely, but how are you learning this?

maybe this is the answer: the willingness to communicate and work out all the differences and conflicts when they arise. If this willingness is there it does not matter what the differences are. With this willingness to communicate and change the Jedi can work it all out if they truly hold love in our hearts.

more opinions on this?

4. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002

The Jedi had as much trouble with attachments, as Anakin. They made decisions, due to their attachment to the Order, that became disasterous in the end. And like Anakin, the remaining Jedi Knights became engulfed in their dark side. Unlike Anakin, Obi-Wan and Yoda simply didn't become Sith Lords.

5. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    The Jedi had as much trouble with attachments, as Anakin. They made decisions, due to their attachment to the Order, that became disasterous in the end. And like Anakin, the remaining Jedi Knights became engulfed in their dark side. Unlike Anakin, Obi-Wan and Yoda simply didn't become Sith Lords.

how do you mean they became engulfed in thier dark side?

otherwise i agree. the attachment to me is to their way of living, to how things are, they fear losing their power, as palps says.

and it's quite the same thing. in order to keep their power they will resort to methods which are patently un-jedi-like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.