main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Attack of the Clones: Director's Cut

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SlashMan, May 9, 2013.

1. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Of all the films, this movie feels the most incomplete. So yeah, a director's cut seems appropriate.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want this now dammit!

black_saber and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  3. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I want a set of Extended Editions to the entire Saga!!! All those sweet deleted scenes from the PT DVDs thrown in, all the deleted scenes from the OT Blu-rays thrown in - and more. Push each film up to the 3 hour mark.

(oh, this might not be popular - but a short scene of Yoda telling Luke that he needs lightsaber training -because how in the galaxy did he learn to fight?- and then igniting his saber just before the scene changes. No need for the camera to be on Luke, a little CGI is all we need)

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    The interesting thing is that Disney could potentially make some money by re-releasing AotC, the Director's Cut, just by throwing in a few scenes. And the movie might actually be better for it.

5. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I wish they would just DO IT.

6. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I feel AOTC did the job it was meant to do and was a great film...when Empire came out a lot of people complained because of it's open ending and for the questions it left in the fans minds when they left the cinema just like AOTC but both films, in my view, are the middle/linking parts to a longer story being told by GL so the fact people feel they're 'incomplete' is totally warranted because for the most part they're meant to be.

I wouldn't change any part of the film because you could sit here forever and a day saying this could be added or this could be extended but thats the beauty of the films the enjoyment you get from them far out reaches what you see on screen.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    How is an extended cut that GL isn't involved in a director's cut? The theatrical cut and all other hitherto available - and official - cuts are the director's cuts.
    The re-edit of Dooku's escape is something I don't understand, either, but honestly, everything else about the blu-ray edition of the Star Wars Saga is awesome!

- There's nothing for me here now.
    - But I wanna go, it's what I've always dreamed of doing!

/LM

8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I guess "original cut" would be a more appropriate title, but "Director's Cut" is a far more popular term.

On the topic of original cuts, A New Hope is one that actually had been recut after George Lucas wasn't too pleased with what he was seeing. The story is probably well-known in the Star Wars fanbase of how Lucas fired the original editor when they were far behind schedule. While it'd be interesting to see the original Star Wars for history's sake, it's been said on different occasions that this product was far inferior to the final cut.

I've seen bits and pieces of the first cut, mainly the cantina sequence. Since then, I think the video's been deleted.

9. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I am posting this now to revive this thread because according to fans that are petitioning, there is a 4 hour release of Revenge of the sith, and according to Jake Lloyd, there might be a 6 hour phantom menace cut.

I don’t know how many hours are cut from attack of the clones.

I believe since fans petitioned for the synder cut of justice league and where successful, we might get those extended cuts of the prequels, if they exist, and maybe we could get hours that were cut from the lord of the rings that never made it to the extended cut on the HBO Max platform or the extended editions cuts of Harry Potter on HBO max too that was on ABC family.

Maybe I could start a petition on for both of them.

Hell, there could still be JJ abrams cut of rise of skywalker even though water was poured on those rumors.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  10. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I guess some people confuse "there is a rough cut of something" with "there was a fully cut movie that could have been released that way". There wasn't. Not for ROTS, not for TPM, not for AOTC. What Lucas generally has done, is shoot a ton of stuff, and then put together a movie in the editing room. That means that at some point there may have been a rough assembly of all footage, which then got changed into an actual rough cut that cut things down considerably. This in turn was followed by constant change until the movies worked the way Lucas wanted them to. Any "long" cut of these movies would not be something Lucas ever wanted to release, they were temporary situations until he reached the point where he felt a movie was ready for release. In many ways, those cuts probably didn't even have the effects ready yet, or music aligned with what was going on.

The JJ Abrams cut of Rise of Skywalker is the one you saw in theaters. Not sure why anyone would say otherwise. That was his movie and his work. He may have liked to have more time to work on the movie, but that doesn't somehow make the final movie not his cut. For it not to be his cut, there would have been someone else cutting the movie after he was done with it. But that isn't the case at all. They stopped working on it because time was running out. If time is running out for them, then there sure as heck wasn't any time for someone else to recut the movie afterwards.

The last thing that is needed is "fans" petitioning for any weird bs they think they have heard about.

11. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It would be extremely disrespectful to Lucas and his creative choices to release extended cuts of his films without his consent. And trust me, he would never consent to such a thing.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Darkslayer and Count Yubnub like this.
  12. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    I don’t understand why people are clamoring for a 4 hour cut of Revenge of the Sith. People seem to really not understand how movies are made. It’s common for the rough cut of a film to be much longer before they start editing.

oierem likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want a 12 hour cut of TPM. I heard from a site that certainly isn't SuperShadow that there was a 4.5 hour long subplot of Ric Olie trying to get off the ship and winding up trapped in a cryogenic chamber attached to the ship...for some reason.

Fin McCool likes this.
  14. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002

Unless Disney releases it and gives Lucas a share of money too. But then again, there would be conflicts about how much money who’s in title to receive.

15. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I looked up this petition. It begins as follows:

And that’s where I stopped reading.

16. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    If a 4 hour cut "leaked," I certainly wont complain, but I would never demand that it is my right to have a cut of the movie. And while I'm happy DC fans are getting their Snyder cut, fandoms believing they can force studios to release whatever is in a vault as a result is not something that sits right with me. I would be more interested in getting unreleased scenes like Obi-Wan talking to Padme before he leaves for Utapau that someone can edit into the movie.

Jedi Knight Fett and Lulu Mars like this.
  17. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I don't see how the above would improve the movie or why they're needed. I was especially surprised by this desire to showcase Padme's family. All I can ask is . . . why? Why is that necessary? When I look back on the Original Trilogy, I have noticed that they had never touched on Leia or Han's families. Sure, we learned that Alderaan was Leia's homeworld. But that's it. We really know nothing about her until the revelation that she and Luke are twins and Anakin's children. We still learn nothing about Alderaan. And we learned nothing about Han's family past on Corellia, until the EU novels and 35 to 41 years later with the release of "Solo".

Why are people complaining about this? No one is forcing WB Studios to change "Justice League". The studio, with Joss Whedon's help, had already done that. They just want the chance to see Snyder's original vision before WB and Whedon had it butchered back in 2017. Why is that a problem? And fans have "forced" television networks via petitions to add another season to some of their favorite TV shows. No one had complained about that. So why this sudden concern about "Justice League"?

And why not demand the "director's cut" for all of the SW movies that have been released, starting with "A New Hope". I mean . . . I've written reviews for all eleven films. And not one of them is perfect.

18. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002

I do believe there is sort of demand for all Star Wars movies to have a directors cut if the rumors are true.

I don’t how there could be classic Star Wars trilogy director’s cuts since we do have multiple special edtions of them. I mean there is deleted scenes and all. I just don’t see how there could be a directors cut of the classic trilogy.

All movies rather half of the them terrible or and the other half that a hit and worthy to a successful motion film are never perfect.

SlashMan likes this.
  19. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I suspect it is very possible. In fact, it's a pity that Lucasfilm never made a animated series about the three years between "A New Hope" and "The Empire Strikes Back". Or the year between the latter and "Return of the Jedi".

20. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002

Especially never making a shadows of the empire animated movie.

whostheBossk likes this.
  21. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Not all narratives have to be inspired by or derivative of something we've already seen in the OT. Leia and Han's backstories weren't mentioned because it ultimately wasn't important to that story. But a subplot where Anakin and Padme get to know each other more intimately? That's certainly relevant. I was just compiling all the notable cut sequences I found. Also, this thread is seven years old.

When I initially made this thread, it was apparent that Attack of the Clones underwent the most heavy changes before reshoots. Structurally, the film was changed pretty significantly making the rough cut more enticing than the others.

Though clamoring for Revenge of the Sith on length alone will only leave you disappointed. The natural editing process trims a lot of fat and improves pacing. It's commonly brought up that the quality is sometimes sacrificed in the pursuit of an economic runtime, but the Star Wars films never really had that issue. Meanwhile the six hour cut of The Phantom Menace, though I want to believe, seems to be pure fiction. How would you end up writing a six hour shooting script? Much less make an assembly cut with all of those unfinished effects shots?

Interestingly enough, there was an official alternate cut of Attack of the Clones, though it only served to condense the runtime for IMAX. The only real alternate cut that does exist is the "lost cut" of A New Hope. I still maintain that it's absolutely fascinating for the historical value, but is otherwise an objectively inferior product to what was delivered in the theatrical cut. We know how protective Lucas is over his films, so that's why we've only seen snippets in the form of deleted scenes as opposed to a complete film.

Finally, the idea that fans are "entitled" to that lost cut of ROTS kind of puts a bad taste in my mouth. These films are already masterpieces and extended cuts really only serve to feed our curiosities. I would never demand such a thing against the will of the filmmaker. On the contrary, it's fun to see when a director supports the notion to "complete their original vision." That's why everyone was onboard with directors like Richard Donner, Ridley Scott, or even Zack Snyder. But those passion projects are hurt by studio ploys to just sell another copy of the film.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  22. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Yeah, because money makes all indecency go away.

23. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Why would a 4 hour cut of ROTS exist?

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I didn't even notice any re-editing.

25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    After seeing the deleted scenes which were released with the Blu-ray versions and also previously the DVD versions, I would LOVE a release of extended versions of the PT. Actually the entire Skywalker saga really...But ROTS especially had some great ones which were really a shame they were left out.