main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Attack of the Clones Is A Masterpiece

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Anakin_Darth, Sep 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    You know one of my favorite scenes of the whole Saga? The scene where Anakin and Padme climb out of the boat and walk along the Lake Como balastrade and gaze out across Lake Como. I love the way that scene is shot. The way the camera pans across with them from a distance. The beauty, the peacefulness and the tranquility of the scene. The music is excellent, as well. I even love the dialouge; "I don't like sand." Great scene! =D=

2. poker

poker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2005
    LOL you like the sand line? LOL

AOTC is the worst SW movie IMO. The love scenes are horrible. It seems forced, the dialogue is painfull, I can't even watch those anymore. I don't feel for the characters either. That scene before they enter the arena is just illogical. The movie is badly edited, badly acted, and most of all, badly directed. I don't like how the movie looks in general (bad CGI, too much CGI). Some scenes do look great but others really not. I don't like Anakin's character at all. He could have been so much more.

Like all prequels, its some great moments in overall weak movies. ROTS being the best. ROTS was great but had many bad parts also.

AOTC is one of those movie that could have been soooo good. GL is a genious, his story is great, but he should have let someone else direct those movies.

Believe me I love SW, the story, the music, the characters... But the prequels are a big letdown. AOTC being the worst.

3. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    G-Fett,

For Attack of the Clones to reach the height to which I think it should be, relative to the script I read and my own thoughts, this is what needs to happen:

The saberdart mystery. For me, it takes too long for Obi-Wan to figure it out. Now, I love Dex but I think Lucas could've figured out a way to speed this aspect up just a tad. I like the scene with Madame Nu but it's the Dex scene that I have a problem with. I just don't know how Lucas could've sped that up.

The droid factory sequence. The sequence is too long and not really important. If he wanted to show how Anakin and Padme get captured, why not have them ambushed just as they exit the ramp. And doing that would lead to my third point.

R2 and 3P0. They don't need to be in the Arena Battle. I love their characters but not in that situation.

If you take those three points, rescore the last 45 minutes of the film and add the Extended Arrival of Naboo sequence(on the DVD deleted scenes) where Padme makes it clear to us about her character, then Attack of the Clones would be essentially perfect in my eyes. That's all that's really needed.

Everything else about the film, in terms of story, works rather well.

As an aside, maybe add a bit more to the Dooku/Obi-Wan duel. Either way, Attack of the Clones is 2hours and 15minutes long. I think if Lucas went back to the editing room with that, he could get it down to 2hours and 9minutes. As it stands, it's the longest Star Wars film.

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yep, I don't just like that whole scene, I love it. The way the music rise's as they kiss and then cuts out as Padme pulls away is such a fun moment. It was great to hear John Williams having fun with the music in that way.

Just goes to show we're all made differantly and we all like and appreciate differant things. :)

Jumpman, interesting idea's. Personally I would LOVE to have the Bedroom scene put back. That whole scene is so important in setting up Padme's fate in the next movie. I think everyone has their own ideas how to improve AOTC.

5. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    IMO, AOTC is the episode that has aged the worst.

It is almost unwatchable anymore. I am not very engaged in the emotions of the characters, and the climax is a mindless action bonanza that doesn't feel terribly like Star Wars.

6. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    G-Fett,

Yeah, we all do, especially if you know the script and see what we have. I mean, Episode II is quite close to being even better than it is, because it has the plot and it has the Anakin story.

And I think that, with all the information that's in the film, Lucas was able to marriage everything together and a very cohesive film. I just feel that it needed one more script revision to make certain aspects shorter but keep the information the same.

I'm very curious what happens to this film in the 30th Anniversary Boxset.

7. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    How someone could consider AOTC is decent, let alone a masterpiece is beyond my understanding. AOTC was an utter disaster. It was the worst SW film ever made. After seeing it, I really thought Lucas had lost it. But I guess there are some SW fans out there that simply love SW so much to the point of where they blind themselves to what the meaning of a 'masterpiece' actually is.

8. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002

Fans who love AOTC have blinded themselves to what the meaning of a masterpiece is? You're going to insult those fans who happen to like or love AOTC? Who are you to do such a thing? I can understand if you don't like the movie. But don't you dare insult those who do not share your taste in movies. It's insulting.

9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Now, right there your taking this thread into gusher/basher territory. Instead of discussing other people's feelings and how they are "blind" tell us what it is about AOTC that you, yourself don't like and then we can have a conversation.

Jumpman, I to am looking forward to seeing what, if any changes Lucas makes to AOTC. I actually doubt the PT will be changed much (beyond CGI Yoda being inserted into TPM) but you never know. ;)

10. ANAKINSKYWEEZER

ANAKINSKYWEEZER Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    How would you guys repair a lot of the problems evident in AOTC?

11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well, Jumpman gave a few ideas. The thing is, EVERYONE has their own idea's. Edit the scenes more. Put back some of the cut scenes. Rescore the music. Even go as far as change the story (not possible now, of course) Your question really is one that has a thousand differant answers, and what one person thinks would repair it, another may well think it would ruin it.

What would you do with it? :)

12. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003

I don't know which post is more inuslting, to me it is LordVader66's post is EXTREMELY inuslitng and rude. You should not put down anyone's opinion. Who put you as the judge of movies. Once again this is only our OPINIONS. If you don't share that opinion that is great, but do not in anyway put down someone else who shares a different opinion than you do and that goes for the post of poker also. For some reason the relevance of someones opinion is in relation to age. For the record I am 27, but I don't belittle someone who is teen or who only grew up on the SE's and the PT. It is absurd to make the assumption that if someone grew up on the OT that their opinion is more valid. I think the prequels are great poker, so know I don't believe you, I have differing opinion. I always shudder and cringe at the lack of independent thought displayed by people, e.g. people who follow critics all the time or people who can't think outside of their friends, the world would be a lot better and more intelligent if their was room for healthy debate, but for people to formulate THEIR own OPINION, and not put down other for the simple reason they did not agree with them! I think users like me and RamRed have been extremely respectful of others users OPINIONS!

13. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I'm not here to bash anyone. I visit this site to analyze and understand. I never once said I don't respect another's opinion, I simply said their opinion is beyond my understanding. I like nothing more than a great conversation on SW. Specifically, however, I am voicing my concern of SW fans casually tossing around the word 'masterpiece' to describe AOTC. By which context they boldly pronounce this, it seems to be in general. AOTC is never going to make any all time movies lists. It's a poorly made film by general standards. Bad acting, directing, writing, etc. People that refer to AOTC as a 'masterpiece' lose credibility to me because it simply isn't. There is no way it could be if your going to grade it how you grade other movies. If you want to argue with me about AOTC being a good movie, let's have it, I have no problem talking about that. But when we start discussing AOTC as a 'masterpiece' the word is being used way to loosely.

14. ANAKINSKYWEEZER

Feb 18, 2003
    Hmm...

Have the opening crawl read "Mysterious Count Tyranus" instead of giving away that Dooku is the bad guy.

Have the beginning of the movie, (everything on the landing platform) occur from R2's P.O.V. A nice way to set up the movie from one of the character's who should have had a larger role.

It would be nice if Lucas could have conceived a more interesting introduction for the two Jedi. Maybe show them in the middle of a battle somewhere and all of a sudden Anakin senses something about Padme but does not disclose this to his master.

Cut a few seconds from the speeder chase here and there so we have time to show the expanse of the huge commercial airport located on Coruscant, with the two Jedi pursuing Zam through it.

The ?COPS? fan in me would really love to see a camera crew following the two Jedi around Coruscant as they enter the seedy underworld, or maybe add a hovering camera crew following the "breaking news" of a Jedi speeder chase through the city like helicopters over the streets of Los Angeles.

Get rid of the part about Zam being a shape-shifter. It was pointless and added nothing to the story.

Make the Outlander's Club more a seedy, twisted place. Perhaps have a techno/electronica take on "Lapti Nek" being played in the background as an homage to ROTJ. More gamblers, mercenaries, hookers, etc. scattered throughout who hit drugs and laugh when Obi-Wan disarms Zam.

In the Jedi Council, have a more diverse selection of Jedi debate with each other about...random stuff? Who knows.

Perhaps replace Naboo with Alderaan. It never made sense that Padme would find refuge on her HOME planet. Maybe the worlds of Naboo and Alderaan are very friendly, and as a nice surprise, the Naberries have relocated to Alderaan and taken out some sort of "timeshare" retreat home for Anakin and Padme to stay at.

I think Anakin and Padme should do more together to develop their relationship. I've read a few re-writes in the Fan Fiction section where Anakin teaches Padme sabaac, they sleep in a hammock together, they go apple (?)-picking, hiking, swimming, ride speeders through waterfalls, go to a ballroom dance, etc.

Re-instate the Lost 20 discussion.

Make the Younglings' sabers white, an homage to Lucas' old idea of wrapping a metal rod with reflecting tape to give it the original "lightsaber effect."

More mention of Qui-Gon. Of course, this would entail more retribtion for his character arc in ROTS, which was sorely lacking.

I found an unused idea from ESB which was to be used during the Cloud City reveal which I feel could work better during the introduction to Tipoca City instead. In the original idea, there was sort of a ?mirror field? that surrounded all of Bespin so that the city would seem invisible until one passed through the field. How about we do the same with Tipoca City in AOTC, but instead of a force field, have the planet surrounded on all sides by massive, rushing typhoons? It gives an even greater sense of mystery to the planet in that it leaves us asking, ?Why do these people want to hide themselves?? and it also allows us to see a natural phenomenon not yet seen in SW.

It's too convenient how Shmi dies just after Anakin rescues her. How about having her get shot during Anakin's rescue mission as a result of the young Jedi's recklessness?

Owen should be around to see Anakin slaughter the Tuskens. This leaves Owen very uncertain of the "boy" and doesn't want Luke ending up like him when he grows up. Maybe even have Anakin confess his dark deeds to Owen instead, which might really freak Lars out. Padme listens, horrified but quiet, near the door outside...

Instead of having Obi-Wan and Jango dogfight through asteroids (ripped off from ESB), make it a ring of space waste, garbage, hunks of holed-out metal, etc.

Add a powerful, full-blown rendition of ?Anakin?s Theme? after Anakin says, ?I won't fail you again" and then rises at Shmi?s funeral.

Add more environmental noises (wind, animal

15. Boba16

Boba16 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2006
    This is why I will never leave this site, cause there is nothing better then hearing 'AOTC is a masterpiece' and continues to prove my point that the PT fanbase will be a niche of diehards in the future, but not nearly as large as anyone thinks when thinking of SW fans.

We all have opinions, and they are just that, and for me, I think AOTC is the best prequel, but a masterpiece? If someone said ROTJ was a masterpiece, and a load of OT fans started agreeing I would start to get worried about them too.

A masterpiece? This is starting to get alittle scary.

16. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    I love ROTJ.

AOTC is the weakest of the Saga.

17. a. block

a. block Jedi Master star 1

Oct 1, 1999
    I always thought it would be cool to have Yoda barely moving and putting very little effort in his battle against Dooku, and having Dooku working his tail off and running away. Then when Yoda fights Sidious, Yoda actually has to put all of his moves and energy into fighting Sidious because Sidious should be that much better and harder to fight then it is to fight Dooku.

18. ANAKINSKYWEEZER

Feb 18, 2003
    Yeah, that's what I had hoped for, too.

19. Boba16

Jun 18, 2006
    I do too, but would you call it a masterpiece? That is my point, and if too many OT fans started calling it that, I would be just as horried.

20. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000

Its not a masterpiece film as a whole, but the Throne Room scenes are as close to Space Opera masterpiece as exist on film.

21. Boba16

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, but that still doesn't make the film a masterpiece, cause I agree the throne rooms scenes are pure gold. And that is the same with AOTC, it has its great moments, but it also had very bad ones too, and right there it excludes it as a masterpiece. A masterpiece is something you watch, and everytime the credits roll you say, "Damn, that is a ****** great movie!" Everytime.

22. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    I have one problem with AOTC...and that's 3P0 in the droid factory...it just looked...odd.

Having said that, the movie is full of great Star Wars moments...

The first real argument between 3P0 and R2, especially when 3P0 calls him an idiot...I laughed my head off...that was the 3P0 I remember from ANH.

There are other things like Kenobi's personal duel with that spider-lizard creature...first with the spear, Obi-Wan thinks he's won, then the creature bites the spear in half and Obi-Wan's face is priceless...then they face each other again...but Kenobi has his lightsaber this time...I just loved little things like that.

People talk about bad dialogue but since when has Star Wars been known for it's dialogue? It's always been over the top...like an old movie serial, which Star Wars is.

23. Sinnion

Sinnion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    I think the whole dialogue thing in AOTC and the PT are done to show the type of times they are in. A time where things are very different and dialogue is like this, just unusual to us, but well thought by George imo.

24. Anakin_Darth

Anakin_Darth Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    I did not start this thread just so people can debase and degrade those with different opinions than themselves. Statements like "I can't understand why so-and-so thinks like this": well, the reason you don't understand it, is because they have a different opinion than yours! You are basically saying "I don't understand why this person doesn't think exactly like I do, so I'll ridicule them for it", which is completely childish and wrong. I would like this discussion to be about the positive aspects (and negative, if you present them in an adult manner) of AOTC.

25. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    Bohrrrring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.