main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Attack of the Clones Is A Masterpiece

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Anakin_Darth, Sep 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Agreed.

I WILL NEVER ARGUE THAT AOTC IS A MASTERPIECE, BECAUSE IT ISN'T. People have zero credibility when they use that word. No film critic nor any other person I have met in my life refered to AOTC as a 'masterpiece'. I haven't seen the headline 'ATOC takes 6 Academy Awards, including Best Picture' or 'GL's 2nd installment of saga a gem, directing and acting outstanding' or simply 'AOTC is a masterpiece'. I could go on and on. It got hit by the critics hard. If you compare it to acutally movie 'masterpieces' AOTC is horrible. Please explain, how you could compare AOTC to movies that are actually considered 'masterpieces'? To be considered a 'masterpiece' usually, the directing, acting, script all have to be not just great but some of the most compelling stuff ever seen on screen. None of that was true for AOTC. I stand behind what I said before: If you actually think AOTC is a 'masterpiece' that your love for SW has blinded you to the truth.

2. anakinhasamullet

anakinhasamullet Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2006
    I'm not going to lie. AOTC is my favorite PT film. I don't even really like the other two. But I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. I will say as fafr as STAR WARS films go it's (my opinion of course) almost perfect. But this is also grading it as a B-movie serial, which all of them are. I'm not holding it to same standards as I would Gone With The Wind or Citizen Kane. Just like I wouldn't hold Ace Venture Pet Detective to the standards of Dead Poets Society or an arty film like that. But they are all good films. ALLLLLLRIGHTY THEN!

3. jasperjones

jasperjones Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    I watched AOTC the other day on Sky, and it left me with mixed feelings. There are bits I love and a fair amount where the dialogue is horrific and Ewan's beard & wig takes me out of every scene. It's a shame because as with all of the prequels I feel the potential was there for masterpieces, at least in terms of space opera. the script needed several more passes with a decent writer and I agree that GL was pushing the envelope too much with the tech that he had available. Having said that the last reel is fantastic (although I personally would never have had Yoda fight with a saber but there ya go , each of us is different). As for the romance, whilst I think it's quite well written in terms of being fairly realistic in its depiction of cheesy, awkward, adolsecent love, why GL thought that that's what people wanted to see boggles the mind. I also hate the fact that he ticks off every romantic cliche he can (love haiku indeed - rubbish). He should have had the transport they were on attacked and Anakin had to protect Padme and take her into hiding. Add some danger and risk. But that's just my opinion. I don't think he's going to change much to do with the prequels either for the 30th anniversary, which is ironic because they're probably in more need of fixing than the OT was. Sorry.

4. tuskinraiderfromhell

tuskinraiderfromhell Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004
    I consider the Star Wars saga as a whole to be a "Masterpiece." All the films, in my opinion, have never gotten the respect they so rightly deserve. I loved Clone's from the first time I've seen it. And love it still. Hell, everytime I watch one of the films they all just keep getting better. I never understood the overly critical attitude towards the Star Wars saga, the Prequels in general. I've NEVER seen any difference between acting, writing or directing styles of either of the trilogies. So yes I would consider Attack of the Clones to be a Masterpiece, in my book. And that's all that matters to me.
    On a side note: Who the hell are critics anyway, people who tell you what to watch, what to listen to, what to read and what to eat, it's a useless profession. And the sad thing is, that some people actually listen to them, why? People should choose for themself what to like or dislike. Awards come on, there all rigged, the people in charge of those things are just like politicians. And if there is any credibility to them and only movies that win awards are in fact masterpieces why oh why didn't the precious "Empire Strikes Back" (or "Jedi" for that matter)get any notoriety at the Academy Awards? Simple, they have had it out for Lucas since 1980 and there still out to get him. He dropped out out of there guilds, no other film maker with his credentials, that I know of, has had the guts to do that. Thats why (in my opinion) the Star Wars saga doesn't get the respect they deserve in the film community.

Attack of the Clones = Masterpiece (great story, great acting, great movie)
    Thank You George

5. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    I consider the Star Wars saga as a whole to be a "Masterpiece." All the films, in my opinion, have never gotten the respect they so rightly deserve. I loved Clone's from the first time I've seen it. And love it still. Hell, everytime I watch one of the films they all just keep getting better.

You know . . . that is the feeling I get whenever I watch a SW movie. And I'm talking about all of them. Well, I'm not sure about RETURN OF THE JEDI, yet. But we'll see.

6. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    AOTC in a cinema for the first time was my greatest ever cinematic experience

I went into the film completely unspoiled and was blown away by virtually every aspect of it.

I had hated TPM the first time I saw it.

I loved the introduction of proto Stormtroopers and the telling irony that these Clones fought side by side with the Jedi.

I loved the subtle introduction of the Death Star plans - the same plans that will be the cause of the story in A New Hope 22 years later.

I loved the relationship between Kenobi and Anakin

I loved Anakin's slaughter of Tusken raiders, and hearing Qui-Gon's voice, and seeing Yoda sense his pain.

I loved Padme's outfits...;)

I loved Anakin's scary ass mechanical hand at the end

I loved Threepio calling Anakin "The Maker"

I loved seeing the homestead again

I loved the speeder Anakin borrowed from Owen

I loved the Sifo Dyas mystery

I loved Boba stealing the floating away with the garbage idea from Kenobi

I loved the fact we had bounty hunters in a SW film again

I loved everything about Dooku (except he shouldve had more screen time)

And, in fact, I still love all the above points

AOTC is a masterpiece in the same terms others define ANH is a masterpiece

7. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Everyone please stay calm and be respectful. Remember that drive by bashing is NEVER allowed. If you cannot engage in intelligent discussion beyond "AOTC sucks" then remove yourself from the thread.

8. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003

Oh so I am blinded that is rich[face_laugh] Don't give me the nonsense of critics and academy awards either. First off I don't call getting over 60% of reviews positive to be critically panned as some would like others to believe. And the academy awards a farce with no legitimacy whatsoever. Their is no TRUTH when it comes to movies, you said on a previous post you have no problem accepting people's opinions but you can't understand why people think differently than you. Your opinion is not a TRUTH it is just a opinion, their are no truths when it comes to movies and all other art forms, it is completely subjective! BTW if you want to know about my defense of AOTC and the other prequels read my others posts I am not going to bother engaging in discussion with someone who believes their opinion is the truth, I have many posts defending the love story of AOTC!

9. Anakin_Darth

Anakin_Darth Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    LordVader66 needs to be banned, he brings NOTHING to this discussion: you could easily take his posts, and put it in my perspective, and make him look inane. Do yourself a favor and stay out of this thread.

10. ANAKINSKYWEEZER

ANAKINSKYWEEZER Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    This is so STUPID.

You cannot factually PROVE that ANYTHING is a "masterpiece." It's is a matter of personal taste. If someone loves TPM and calls it a masterpiece while denouncing and thinking ESB is a piece of crap, then so be it. You can call whatEVER you want a masterpiece and there's no way anyone can "disprove" you.

11. Boba16

Boba16 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2006

If everything is so subjective, then why is everyone so quick to reply to this thread, or better why is this thread not locked? I love how everyone jumps on anyone who says they think that it is not a masterpiece and says that is your opinion and not everyones. But those same people have yet to criticize the original poster for doing the same.

If it is subjective, why is everyone digging in agreeing or disagreeing, isn't that the ultimate irony of this site?

12. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002

Because they obviously have a desire to express their opinion.

13. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    What did I just say? Calm down and STOP making this personal. That goes for everyone.

14. Anakin_Darth

Anakin_Darth Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 28, 2005

Thank you, RebelScum, I really hope my thread doesn't dissolve into immature banter from everyone. [:D]

15. poker

poker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2005
    The acting in SW movies is really average, but its worse in AOTC. Even actors on stage say GL can't direct actors. Don't you think they know what they are talking about? That's not to say his movies doesn't have qualities. But to be called a masterpiece, imo, a movie has to have great acting. Its basic stuff.

16. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Anyways...back on topic...

One thing that struck me about the prequels was that Lucas had always said we would understand why some things happen in the OT when we reach ROTS and we would understand why things happened in TPM and AOTC to lead to ROTS.

Watching AOTC for the first time, I loved the movie, but I didn't have a clue where the story would end up by the third movie...I mean we all knew what would happen in ROTS...just not how.

Watching the prequels again, suddenly everything became clear. Watching all three PT movies, it's obvious that Lucas had a story planned from the very beginning, when he started on TPM (unlike the OT, where the story seemed to evolve and change with each movie).

Take the Jedi for example...in TPM they're trusted protectors of the Galaxy...and by the end of ROTS, they're being hunted down...Palpatine's story...from senator to Chancellor to Emperor, all while he's manipulating everyone as Darth Sidious...Anakin's journey from slave to Sith...

I think that the PT had a better structure...the story flowed better than in the OT. Don't get me wrong, I love the OT, I love the saga as a whole...all I'm saying is that the PT was planned better than the OT, in that each event led into the next and it was a natural progression of one story, but in the OT it almost seemed like two or three seperate stories all stuck together. I suppose you could say that it's because when ANH was made there was a possibility that there would have been no sequels so it had to work as a stand alone story.

I'm not sure I'm explaining it right...sorry for that. But I don't want to turn this into a PT vs OT thread, I love them both and watch them from 1-6 (well actually,4-6, then 1-6...every look and line in the OT takes on new meaning the second time around) I just think that for all the criticism about Lucas' ability to tell a story...the PT was a better constructed story than the OT.

As for AOTC as a movie on it's own, personally I think it's a worthy chapter in the Star Wars saga and is generally a fun movie...which is what Star Wars s supposed to be...fun.

17. Boba16

Jun 18, 2006

With all due respect, these are the dumbest topics on these boards. It would be like myself saying ANH is a masterpiece, who cares? Although I think it is, why would I start a topic like that? A topic like this brings out the extremes of each side, cause there is no moderation, either it is a classic or not, and that is going down some slippery territory.

There was a topic a few months ago about 'AOTC is the most underrated prequel." That is atleast legit, cause it isn't in your face saying it is great or crap, but is saying that the movie doesn't get its due for various reasons. This topic has everyone answering, "My opinion is right, screw you." That is why this topic is spiraling out of control, and I am suprised the mods let this one go this long.

If someone were to start a thread 'AOTC is a piece of crap', it would have been locked within hours, cause the mods would say a flame war would begin, and they would probably be right. But isn't this the other extreme?

18. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    I don't care who thinks this is a dumb topic, if you don't like it, don't come here. We allow it because there is a similiar one for TPM. But if all people are going to do is bicker and get personal with each other, then I'll lock it. If you don't have anything constructive to say, then don't say it. Last warning.

19. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Just thought I'd point out that the quoted post has nothing constructive in it with regards to the topic being discussed (please don't ban me [face_worried] [face_laugh] ) lol

Seriously though, let's all try to stay on topic and discuss and debate the topic without insulting each other, bickering or being condesending...

Is AOTC a masterpiece? It's personal preference. My opinion is that it's a great Star Wars movie and as I've said in an earlier post, adds alot to the development of the characters and the overall story. There are some great moments in the film and yes there are some flaws (show me one movie that has no flaws and I'll show you a real life leprechaun) but as I've already said, above all, it's fun.

For me, a good movie is one that I can watch over and over again without ever getting bored or sick of it. Every Star Wars film, including AOTC is that kind of film for me, and the saga is up there with the likes of Lord of the Rings as one of the best stories of the last 100 years and beyond.

20. Boba16

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't disagree with movies that have better replay value, but that doesn't necessarily constitute a masterpiece. I think Schindlers List and Raging Bull are masterpiece movies that moved me in ways I rarely feel watching a movie. But in saying that, I haven't watched them very much since my original viewing, because they are two movies with very tough subjects to watch. They are not fun movies to watch, but they are powerful in so many ways that movies just aren't made like that anymore, and if they are, they are few and far between.

I find the Rocky Sequels to be fun movies that I can watch over and over, but would I call them masterpieces cause they are just as rewatchable as the original? Not a chance! The original is a true classic, IMO, and the rest of are just fun sequels that I enjoy cause the classic is so good, and the same goes for AOTC, I enjoy it cause it is SW, but a masterpiece?

21. Gungan_Sith

Gungan_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2005
    I agree that AOTC is a masterpiece, as is every other Star Wars film. It is tied with TPM for my 2nd favorite Star Wars film. It has just so much depth and really develops the Saga. I didn't like the love story, but I agree that the love story and the movie as a whole is better than ESB.

22. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005
    Rebel: I ain't playin' around.

23. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    Best laugh in the saga.

Enough said.

So, by that rationale, whoever watches AotC and enoys every minute of it and when the credits roll think "damn, that's a goo d movie!" then it really is a masterpiece to them? ;)

Seriously, there isn't anything wrong with calling any film a masterpiece. I mean, someone can call Plan 9 From Outer Space a masterpiece and I wouldn't consider them "blinded" or "insane". I don't care who you are, that's not right to say. There's nothing wrong with voicing an opinion, but let's not get personal.

[face_plain] It's wonderful that you think the PT fans are to be lesser.

And that's the exact cynical attitude that takes me away from these boards.

You hit the nail right on the head.

People take Star Wars way to seriously when it comes to the acting. This isn't "The Godfather Trilogy". The idea was for it to be like the old serials ever since the original Star Wars. Until it got to Empire Strikes Back, where Lucas hired Kershner, who felt that the film needed the more dramatic, less cheesy touch. Which is probably why ESB is such a huge favorite.

That's probably why I'm not too critical of the acting. I notice ow corny it is sometimes but then I think "Eh, it's not meant to be taken that seriously anyway. Good, campy fun!"

It's like wishing Evil Dead 2 had good acting.

24. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    (no message)

25. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    SW were never made to be masterpieces. As someone said before, it's not the godfather trilogy here. GL would admit without problem that none of his movies are 'masterpieces'. What GL did create was a six part saga. These films were meant to be epic, fun and above all, WATCHABLE. And without question, he succeeded. I don't think GL placed a high emphasis on acting, directing, or the dialogue. And why should it? He knows every SW movie released is six hundred million plus. He isn't trying to win an academy award, the man is trying to tell a story. GL wasn't going for a cinematic 'masterpiece' when he was making AOTC or any other SW film.

As mentioned above, this is an opinion thread. If one person's POV is that it is a 'masterpiece' than so be it. It reminds me of a certain crazy POV like "the jedi are evil!" but hey it's your opinion. Perhaps it's because people don't know the defination of 'masterpiece' and they don't know that the word is being misused. But what about the lack of creativity on GL's part? An ending of a Romanesque gladitor fight? Is this the best that could happen on Genosis? The editing and direction of the Anakin/Dooku fight also leaves a lot to be desired. I really hate bashing SW movies and nitpicking all the flaws of each film but this is why the thread is having it's problems, nothing positive is going to come out of this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.