Attack of the Clones is like a Star Wars inkblot test.

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by sdj, Jun 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdj Jedi Master

star 4
    You know those tests where you look at the smeared ink and what you see in the picture tells something about you.

I think AotC is somewhat the same. The people that hated it were almost predictable as were their reasons and the same with the people that loved it. It really comes down to what you brought into the theater at your first viewing.

So where some see a slow paced movie with a great fx and a crappy romance others see an action packed adventure with great fx and a well portrayed young Anakin Skywalker.

How can it be so diverse? Well in an inkblot test one person can see something beautiful and another see something horrible.

Your focus determines your reality.
  2. TwistedMentat Jedi Knight

star 2
    Or maybe like your sig says:

"When all is said and done and Episode 3 has gone and passed will you be sorry that you spent the last 6 years complaining?"

Star Wars isn't Shakespeare. Don't make it out to be that. Love it for what it is:

40's/50's sci-fi B-Movie fantasy with an extra dosage of cheese./>
  3. mr.binks Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yea!!

Some one got it.
  4. Lessa Jedi Knight

star 1
    But what if we like complaining and nitpicking? ;) I mean, after Episode 3, there aren't going to be any more SW movies, so we're all going to end up loving TPM and AOTC and Ep3 anyway, just because they're the last, so does it matter how much we complain right now?

As for my personal opinion, I thought AOTC was a very beautiful movie to look at. If it were a silent movie, we'd all call it a masterpiece. Unfortunately, they had to stick in something called a "Love story." :)

5. sdj Jedi Master

star 4
    I hate silent movies and I hate art films. Just not my thing. I think Star Wars just isn't alot of people's thing, but they still hang out here. I mean if you only like ESB you're not really a Star Wars fan you're a fan of ESB.
  6. herder-of-nerfs Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think people are too hard on the love story. It's WAY less corny than Romeo and Juliet. WAY less.
  7. TheVioletBurns Force Ghost

star 4
    So where some see a slow paced movie with a great fx and a crappy romance others see an action packed adventure with great fx and a well portrayed young Anakin Skywalker.

How can it be so diverse? Well in an inkblot test one person can see something beautiful and another see something horrible.

Your focus determines your reality.

sdj, you nailed that. That's it in a nutshell.

Interesting analogy. ;)
  8. Lessa Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, I liked AOTC enough to see it eleven times. But those last couple of times were mainly to drool over Jango Fett. :D

I do like Star Wars. I liked AOTC. I didn't go in expecting the next Academy Award winner. I expected lovely eye candy and I got it. It's just that I thought it could have been better in some respects.
  9. Lurking_Around Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Hmmmm...my inkblot tells me:

-corny love dialogue
    -Zam being an alien is worthless
    -Kenobi and Anakin's friendship should developed since TPM (otherwise known as "Obi should have gone to Mos Espa" syndrome :p)

...yet on the other hand, I also see:

-great fightscenes
    -nice acting by Ewan
    -there is character development, you know ;)
    -AOTC is an improvement from TPM
    -AOTC was an enjoyable movie
    -the "Hiyaaah" Jedi is hot! [face_love]

So, Mr Psyco-analyst, where do I stand?

[face_mischief]
  10. sdj Jedi Master

star 4
    Well I think you misinterpreted the Star Wars inkblots from 20 years ago.
  11. Lurking_Around Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Really? Care to elaborate?
  12. Bail-AnBillies Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought Romeo & Juliet was one of the corniest of corny love stories ever!! They fell in love after like one sec of seeing each other and then got married like two days later, so Ani/Padme's love story isn't as cheesy as that! At least he thought about her for 10 yrs! Either way, I loved ep 2 :)
  13. sdj Jedi Master

star 4
    I just think you're complaints are just part of the Star Wars style. You have to fill in the blanks with your imagination and corny dialogue goes with the territory.
  14. Darthkarma Jedi Master

star 4

sdj, I applaud your insights. People's reactions to this film speak volumes about where THEY are at, how open minded and receptive they are to romance, myth, new ideas, and imagination. When I hear people respond to AOTC, it ALWAYS tells me more about them than it tells me about the film itself.

Where there's a whill, there's a way.
  15. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
    It's also like the cave scene in ESB.

Luke: What's in there?

Yoda: Only what you take with you.

I haven't been surprised by any bad review of AOTC, because all the people who hated it I guessed would hate it before they even saw the film. Except Roger Ebert, but he's just loopy :)
  16. Lurking_Around Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well you do have a point I suppose. Still, would have loved to see Kenobi and Skywalker's relationship developing since TPM. As for corny dialogue, you're right. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that this will be the year of corny love dialogue (be interesting to see how PJ handles it in TTT ;)).

But what about my Zam complaint? In the words of a movie: "Analyze that!"

[face_mischief]
  17. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think it has something to do with whether you've spent the last twenty years nurturing your inner child or slapping him around like a red-headed bastard.
  18. Qui Gon Binks Jedi Knight

star 1
    Pearl Harbor is much worse than Episode II could ever hope to be. At least Lucas intercut his romance with interesting pieces of story and it didn't dwell on it to the point of putting you to sleep like Michael Bay did in Pearl Harbor.
  19. Lessa Jedi Knight

star 1
    I didn't think Romeo and Juliet was corny. It had some very nice language. Perhaps if GL wrote all the love story dialouge in iambic pentameter I'd like it better. :D Of course, every else in the theater would be saying "What is this crap?" and walk out. ;)

Ooh! Ooh! I want to be psychoanalyzed too!

I see:

-Beautiful CG (Coruscant is gorgeous!)
    -Beautiful costumes (except for Jamilla's ugly sack-thing :D )
    -Beautiful people playing the characters (Mmmm...that Fett! :p )
    -Good acting by some people
    -Very action-y action sequences
    -Zam! Finally, another female person in SW!

-Corny, cheesy, sappy love story
    -Wooden acting from the love story participants
    -Did I mention the love story yet? ;)

So...from this, tell me all about my repressed childhood memories that allowed me to grow into the soulless freak I am today. :D
  20. Lurking_Around Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Pearl Harbor is much worse than Episode II could ever hope to be

Heh, gotta agree with that. Don't forget 'Amargeddon' (sp?) and the ummm..."cookie scene" :p
  21. Blues Jedi Padawan

Ep 2 was a good addition to the Star wars series - It was worth watching just to see Yoda. My only problem with it was the middle bit where they jumped back and forth between the love story and Obi-wan's mission to Kamino. I think they just needed to swap scenes a bit less.
  22. Lurking_Around Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Agreed Blues. The switching back and forth in ESB was much better handled IMHO than in AOTC.
  23. endboss Jedi Youngling

star 3
    <<<I just think you're complaints are just part of the Star Wars style. You have to fill in the blanks with your imagination and corny dialogue goes with the territory.>>>

I really wish I could tune-up or replace your radar for lousy dialogue, delivery and acting. Maybe then you'd spot the lack of quality in the PT, when compared to the OT. But before I'd get under your hood, I'd work on Lucas, being that he seems to suffer from the same glitch.

I think there are 3 main AOTC camps. There are those who love the film because they're forgiving enough to look past and make excuses for its bad acting, awkward dialogue, the holes in the story, the cheap use of the TPM soundtrack in certain places and the fact that it's swimming in CG. And then there are those who hate AOTC because they aren't especially forgiving, like me. We aren't willing to ignore the flaws out of a desire to fall in love with it. Our attitude is "Win me over or not. Entertain me or not. Don't screw up." Finally, there are those who love the film only because they have a poor eye for quality, and see only another entry in the series they love, and are happy with that. These are the fans who'd embrace 2 hours worth of Lucas on the crapper, with a new John Williams score blaring. Maybe that's a little extreme, but not too far off.
  24. Lurking_Around Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    *scratches head*

I can't decide which category I belong to, endboss. I better take the inkblot test again

*goes back to lurking and awaits the inevitable flame wars*

[face_plain]
  25. endboss Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I guess there's a fourth category, Lurking_Around. Those who say "It was just a movie. I was entertained. Not the greatest. Not the worst."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.