main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Attack of the Clones is like a Star Wars inkblot test.

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by sdj, Jun 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Endboss fresh back from a ban with no new material to offer.

Then some "fans" will see a great Star Wars movie and still think it sucks. Such is with AotC.

2. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    endboss, you're telling me there's only three groups of 'reasons' for why people did/didn't like the movie? That's ridiculous. There could be hundreds of reasons why.

I don't accuse you of being handicapped for quality or blind for not liking Attack of the Clones. You just don't see it the way I do, and I don't see it the way you do. That's what makes the world so interesting; DIVERSITY of personality and opinion! Can we not accept that?

Good gosh.

3. endboss

endboss Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 1998
    Banned??? Pardon? I've never been banned in all my years here, SDJ. PM each and every mod if you care to confirm.

And this isn't material, son. You offered your theories on why some people enjoy Clones, while others don't. I responded by posting my own theory. Does this bug you?

4. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    "It was just a movie. I was entertained. Not the greatest. Not the worst."

Ah, I fit in here! Thanks, it's nice to know I belong somewhere

[face_mischief]

5. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    endboss, how do you feel when people bash your favourite film? Do you get defensive, or ignore them? Just curious . . .

6. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    [image=http://skepdic.com/graphics/inkblot.gif]

What do you see?

Fan #1: a great science fiction epic with amazing special effects and incredible acting.

Fan #2: a trite B-movie with too much CGI and a bunch of future "where are they now" actors.

rsterling78: I see an inkblot.

7. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    rsterling78, I actually see two scarab beatles fighting for supremacy in the Sahara desert...

:D

8. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<how do you feel when people bash your favourite film? Do you get defensive, or ignore them? Just curious.>>>

I respond by challenging the content of the post, or I re-consider my opinion of the film if I'm unable to think of a reasonable defense of the flaws he or she pointed out.

9. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    and when their small minds refuse to consider your reasons for your opinion and state that you are wrong for having previously mentioned opinion?

10. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Endboss you are not suggesting that we fail to try to give you reasons as to why we like these films do you?

We most certainly do give reasons, but you do seem unable to even read what we've typed.

Anyone else see a pair of dancing Giraffes in that inkblot?

11. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    I'd like to ask can't we all agree to disagree, but I probably know the answer for that...

12. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<and when their small minds refuse to consider your reasons for your opinion and state that you are wrong for having previously mentioned opinion?>>>

Well, SDJ, I'd have to conclude that that pathetic chump is too in love with the film I'm critcizing to consider anything other than his own blind, fanboyish love for it. That's the kind of sad sack who'd fly into a rage after being told that the Star Wars film I mentioned earlier featuring Lucas on the toilet is crap that they shouldn't tolerate.

13. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    to quote Endboss

"Finally, there are those who love the film only because they have a poor eye for quality, and see only another entry in the series they love, and are happy with that. These are the fans who'd embrace 2 hours worth of Lucas on the crapper, with a new John Williams score blaring."

See he's just a jerk trying to antagonize. I figured he'd been banned because he's been doing this for forever.

14. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    I find his sig to be very enlightening, which I gather was his intention. He's apparently the bearer of pain. lol OW! ouch, don't, stop that, quit it, you're hurting me, eek, yikes, oh that smarts, owiieeee.

ANYway, I agree. Star Wars is definitely an inkblot test, just like any other thing in life that requires an opinion.

15. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    Can we knock the basher/gusher stuff off, please?

Thank you.

16. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    SDJ, I read the excuses you guys come up with to defend TPM and Clones. Some are decent excuses that I accept. But most are just plain awful reaches.

17. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Endboss,

Such as? I happen to love ESB. It's my favorite of the saga but AotC shares second place with ANH. What exactly is it you find to be "stretching it"?

A perfect example of an inkblot is Anakin's dream, don't you think?

18. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Listen to the man Endboss.

19. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Chill Endboss. There's no problem with your critiques...Just don't try to offend anyone with what you say. We're all SW fans.

20. darthsidious32

darthsidious32 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I think people do need to be forgiving of things that "fall short" of making a perfect movie. I mean, if I went around hating every movie that wasn't perfect, I'd maybe only like 5 movies. Star Wars has never been perfect. Nostalgia and/or childhood memories of growing up with it makes it seem that way, but it's not true. They are "B" movies with an "A" budget - always have been, always will be.

I guarantee you that if a new generation of people grow up on all six Star Wars movies, they'll love all of them. They'll think they are six of the greatest movies ever made. There won't be a ridiculous (and flawed) "OT standard" that they grade the first three episodes on. They'll grade all of them individually and decide whether or not they like them. Their standards will be totally innocent, and they won't have such a hard time liking the prequels(or the OT).

I just think that it's pointless to totally dislike a movie because it's imperfect. And I think most of the reasons why people hate AOTC and/or TPM are just ridiculous. People can't just walk into a theater to have fun anymore. They have to walk in with extremely cynical eyes and metal pencils and notepads. Suspension of disbelief is diminishing when people view special effects. Having fun is being destroyed. People are too grounded in reality and turn movie-going into critiquing sessions. Leave that to the ignorant critics. Go in, have fun. It's that simple.

21. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    If you don't like the PT in general, or AOTC in particular, why are you on this forum? I think TPM and AOTC have some flaws, but overall they're very well made movies.

If I didn't like 'em, I'd have better things to do with my time than sit in front of a computer and try to convince people who like the film that...well...that they shouldn't have liked it.

By the way, does anybody else see a Jawa on a Taun-Taun riding across the hangar of a Trade Federation ship in that inkblot? No? Hmmm...guess it's just me.

22. darth_pooh

darth_pooh Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2002
    I think there shouldn't be a fight here.

I agree with both sdj and endboss - if you can believe that.

To sdj, i can only respond to your "impression" of the viewers by saying that I was spoiled rotten by this site before I went to the theatre...and I have to tell you that I wasn't really spoiled at all.

I took into the theatre a lot of the plots, subplots and devices...but I was really wondering how lucas was going to link it all together. I was really really excited and I hoped it would be great!

I wouldn't say I was entirely happy. It was so so.

to endboss: yes, I think arguments such as this don't do much for me:

"this is a people's people's movie" get on board - you like it or you don't, stop bashing!"

But, frankly, people have rationally, emotionally, and emphatically given so many reasons and feelings for why they liked or disliked this movie over the past month, that I'm not sure that one more discussion is going to change anything at all! Sorry. :_|

BTW, i won't post links to the thousand opinions that have already happened. ;)
    Or are we just trying to convince endboss of something of which I don't think he needs convincing?

P.S., some people would go see Lucas on the toilet with WIlliams' score for 2 hours. It would be "canon."

23. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<If you don't like the PT in general, or AOTC in particular, why are you on this forum?>>>

Because I feel like it. Only reason I need, really. I have longer explanations, which can be found on this board, but who cares? I'm here today because I choose to be, and I offered my own theory in this thread of theories. And what's with the mod that said "Chill endboss"? I've done nothing wrong. Knock off the double standard.

24. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Darth Pooh! LOL!

That last line was just really silly. :D Thank you. :D

25. darth_pooh

darth_pooh Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2002
    Undomiel,
    That was a line by endboss.

I could list the reasons and feelings I have pro and con on the movie but they are as relevant as they are dismissable. I'm an old guy, so I grew up with the OT. I like the PT, but even at 13 I think I would have wanted a different series of movies to answer my questions:

If you're like me, ask yourself, when you walked out of ROTJ throwing your "make believe" saber around...what did you want answers to? What did the mysteries in your mind yearn to find solutions to?

If you can tap into that feeling again - I can't say I can because I've forgotten so much - then would you say you are getting what you wanted? I'm getting a different feeling altogether. I withhold judgment until EP III though ! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.