main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Attack of the Clones is like a Star Wars inkblot test.

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by sdj, Jun 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    If you don't like the PT in general, or AOTC in particular, why are you on this forum?

Because I feel like it. Only reason I need, really.

No argument here, chief. I was just wondering, well, why?

You seem a little tense, if you don't mind my saying so. Forum gettin' on your nerves? Yeah, I thought so. Say, have heard about the new formulation of Paxil? It's called Paxil CR, from GlaxoSmithKline.

CR means continuous release. That means better bio-availability...and fewer side effects.

Ask your doctor about Paxil CR: Your Life Is Waiting.

2. endboss

endboss Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 1998
    Cute. If I were a whiner, I'd ask why your cute flaming is less offensive to the mods than what I've written, but I'm no whiner. And no, I'm not tense or angry, brother. I don't use lots of smiley faces, though. Maybe that's confusing you.

3. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I wanted more movies when I was 13 I remember talking about the possibility of episodes 1 through 3 even back then.

4. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    Darth Pooh,

Episode III will be the ultimate inkblot! Wow, is the pooh ;) gonna hit the fan. People will be scrambling all over themselves with words of praise and disgust. How do I know this, you might be asking yourself!

Well it's the last one. Some folks will detach themselves emotionally by the time it rolls around and look for errors with a fine tooth comb. Some won't like it before they even go in the doors. Others will focus entirely on the moment and get into it, completely. Still others will see it as an interesting movie and leave it at that, as has always been the case for them.

But whatever the case may be, everyone will come out with their own interpretation of what just happened on the screen and it will varily even more wildy than AotC critiques do now. This website will be a madhouse, a madhouse I say!, provided its still around.

What was I expecting? Well at the end of RotJ, I wasn't expecting anything else. He said he was done. I gave up on the hope that he'd ever do the other movies. Then TPM came out and I was not exactly overjoyed, but I still liked it more than any other film that came out that year. Then AotC came out and I was thrilled. It wasn't ESB but it was darn close, and that's saying alot in my opinion.

What questions did you want answered? Give me a couple that you recall.

5. rsterling78

May 26, 2002
    No flaming here, endboss. Just trying to lighten the mood.

Can't we all just get along? Some of us see the glass as half full, others as half empty. No one can have a "right" or "wrong" opinion. Right and wrong are for facts. Your opinion, and everybody else's, is by definition, valid.

Here's that smiley face: :)

6. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    qouting Endboss again "there are those who love the film only because they have a poor eye for quality"

7. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Star Wars isn't Shakespeare. Don't make it out to be that. Love it for what it is:

40's/50's sci-fi B-Movie fantasy with an extra dosage of cheese.

Yes, that's real great. [face_plain]

8. rsterling78

May 26, 2002
    A poor eye for quality?

Hey, a few weeks ago when I put on my bright red leisure suit, got into my lime-green Pacer, and went to see AOTC, I knew I was in for great entertainment.

Poor eye for quality indeed!

9. DarthRaptor

DarthRaptor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    I wonder why people who hated AOTC even bother posting here...

But, anyway, I would say that, actually, at first, AOTC's faults bothered me at first. But, the strengths of the movie, plus the fact that this is Star Wars, for goodness' sake, drew me back for more viewings. And, I'm glad it did. Those repeated viewings have helped me to get used to the awkward moments in the movie and to better appreciate the awesome parts.

In the end, I would say that some people need to get over the fact that, yes, the PT is different than the OT. Not better, not worse, just different. They each had their strengths and weaknesses. For instance, I would say that, so far, the plot of the PT is much deeper and more complex than the plot for the OT ever got.

But, whatever. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. And, if people don't want to like the PT and AOTC, they never will.

DR

10. darth_pooh

darth_pooh Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2002
    undomiel,
    I agree with you that there's nothing we can do until III comes out. I'm waiting enthusiastically but steering clear of the "spoilers." Hopefully, I want to see it without anyone telling me anything so I can just see it as a movie. Unfortunately that means that I will "look critically." I hate professional critics like Ebert and such, and don't listen to any of those guys...but I personally always think critically. I can't help it. That's what my job requires, so I guess I'll never escape. Don't mean I won't love it!

sdj and import,
    Both of you are in the same vein I guess...Sometimes over the last month when someone would really spend time rationalizing and criticizing, a "common man" voice would speak up that said:

"I just like the cheeziness and that stuff, that's what I go to the movies for, I don't care about too much hypothesis."

As a result, endboss can say: "People with a poor eye for quality."

I can't speak for endboss, but i think he meant: people who purposefully have stated on this site that they are not going to evaluate AOTC on a quality spectrum - or who willfully decide to have a poor eye for finding mistakes/successes (which could be defined as looking critically at it from outside of the fan base, or too far within the fan base) because they are too much fans, or too little fans...

hence what they bring to the theatre is what makes them enjoy or not enjoy it...(much like sdj said: no?) Just wondering.

11. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<qouting Endboss again "there are those who love the film only because they have a poor eye for quality">>>

What's the problem? It's my opinion that that description represents one group of AOTC fans out there. What's the problem?

QUOTING SDJ: He's just a jerk.

Do you see me crying "Flame, flame"? No, don't care.

12. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I just see Star Wars as a fun, tongue in cheek series that has a somewhat deep meaning underneath all that. It's not supposed to be high brow intellectual perfection.

13. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    there are those who love the film only because they have a poor eye for quality

That definitely doesn't apply to me...since I watched nothing but quality movies this summer. "ROOBY ROO!!!" :)

Heck yea, this brother's got soul...

14. abmccray

abmccray Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Darth Raptor,

Many of the people who dislike it don't think that the strengths outweigh the bad. For instance, I don't think that the "broad story" makes up for the lack of personal touches, believable characterizations, or bad pacing (in my opinion, explained in detail elsewhere). This is the first Star Wars in which the bad outweighed the good, IMO (TPM evened itself out), and that is the main problem that I have with it.

And I don't see why you STILL don't understand why we keep posting here although we dislike the movie. I know that I personally like Star Wars a LOT, enough to buy all of the movies to date, novels, games, toys, etc. Because I love Star Wars, I come to this site. because I love discussing and arguing my opinions, I post on the message board. Is that any different than why you come?

I mean, why would you want to go somewhere and agree with people, anyway? I only go places where I can argue my own opinion and put it to the test.

15. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    Darth Pooh,

Oh you KNOW you will love it! How could you not?! Sidious reveals himself! The Emperor becomes! Vader becomes! Obi kicks tushy and takes names later! Answers abound! This thing is going to rock everyone's socks off and the ones who ain't rocked will be declared efficiently dead from the kneecaps up! *calms down* It will be a good but terribly sad film. :D

16. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I wrote a really long post for this thread and just deleted it all.

I don't know how to answer the question posed in this thread, if indeed there is one, so I will say this:

I loved AOTC. And that's that. If you want to see my reasons as to why I "loved" it you'll have to check out my various posts around the forum. And you'll notice that I frequent "silly" threads or "gusher" threads as those don't turn into flame wars which I do not find to be pleasant whatsoever.

I'd rather post about story elements rather than Natalie's acting as people aren't so darned negative. And they give simple yet better reasons in their posts for their stances on such issues. :)

17. DarthRaptor

DarthRaptor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    <<I mean, why would you want to go somewhere and agree with people, anyway?>>

Well . . . that actually sounds fine to me. I mean, just because we all would like AOTC doesn't mean we wouldn't have anything to discuss. In fact, most of the discussions going on here ARE between people who liked the movie! Sorry, but I just don't understand why you would want to post about something you don't like. I mean, if I was a Star Wars fan, but didn't like AOTC, I would just post at the boards for the other SW movies and avoid this one.

I mean, I have no desire whatsoever to see the Scooby Doo movie and am not a real big SD fan. So, if I should, for some reason, see the movie (though I have no intention of doing so, but for the sake of argument, let's say I did), should I now go to a Scooby Doo board and do nothing but complain about how much the movie sucked?

Hey, if this is what you like doing, whatever. I just can't understand it.

DR

18. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    By "poor eye for quality," I mean just that. It's no flame. It's an opinion. I believe that if you see no difference between the acting, dialogue, delivery and all-around quality in the OT and the PT, you're not a good judge of, well, quality. Just as if you told me you see no difference in the quality of Godfather 3 versus parts 1 and 2. It's an opinion you're entitled to, but my response will be to develop an opinion that you have a poor eye for good acting, captivating characters, etc. It's no flame. It's plain talk.

19. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    It's too subjective Endboss. Many people probably think Titanic is a much better film than any Star Wars film and they aren't wrong. It just doesn't match my opinion.

20. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    Hey, Titanic was GOOD!

Runs away

21. abmccray

abmccray Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    I don't think Godfather 3 "went down in quality." I think it didn't reach the level of the first two because of the lack of Tommy Hagen (sp?) and Sofia Coppola's horrid acting. I actually like the movie a lot - it was just flawed, unlike the first two.

Now, back to what I was saying, I find it boring to discuss how "cool" something is. It exercises no brain muscles, and is, quite frankly, boring. Defending your opinion challenges your beliefs and the logic that they are based on - a debate proves just what your opinion is made of. Because the unpopular view here, on a fan site, is to dislike the movie (whereas on a movie LOVER forum it is to LIKE the movie), I prefer talking about it here where I can defend my views and point out the flaws in other people's.

That's just me, though - I go to forums to discuss and defend my views - not make friends.

22. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    It isn't too subjective in my view, SDJ. Not at all. Godfather 3 is to The Godfather what the prequels have been to the OT, I say. I wouldn't hesitate to conclude that a fan who puts G3 ahead of G1 and G2 has poor taste. Same for this Star Wars issue.

23. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    I go to forums to discuss and defend my views - not make friends.

You don't exactly win prizes for succeeding in defending your view...but hey, whatever floats your boat

24. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Actually I don't think I am alone in preferring AotC to RotJ.

25. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    You shouldn't only think of what's widely considered to be the weakest of the OT when I speak of the OT. I prefer ROTJ over Clones, myself, but I wouldn't throw eggs at a fan who didn't agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.