Attack of the Clones is like a Star Wars inkblot test.

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by sdj, Jun 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razorback Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I would not throw eggs at someone who said he liked ROTJ over AOTC... I would just never listen to a word he had to say again. ;)

RB
  2. darth_pooh Jedi Padawan

star 4
    One scene in ROTJ made a gigantic impression on me that I just haven't seen before in the PT: After all those blasters, and lightsaber duels, and robots and mysticism...etc....IT was when Vader, using pure brute force, out of nowhere, hefted Sidious over the ledge!

That scene will stay with me till I die, probably!

3. TheVioletBurns Jedi Master

star 4
    I mean, why would you want to go somewhere and agree with people, anyway?

Gajeebles! I come here to discuss the story and characters in Attack of the Clones, not to hassle other people's opinions. Generally, if you liked the film, you should have a lot of fun talking about the different elements with your fellow fans who ALSO liked the film. I mean, that's the theory anyway - you're a Star Wars fan, you liked AOTC, I'd think you'd like to talk about it. Isn't that why this forum is here?

Sifting through this sort of talk and warring is frustrating, unpleasant, and tedious, I mean it's a dead horse now...can we leave it alone? Nobody's opinion is going to change. At least take it over to the 'I've seen the movie, here are my thoughts' thread.
  4. sdj Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I actually prefer ANH to all of them and AotC beats ESB depending on my mood.
  5. Undomiel Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Poor Anakin! Argh. Episode III will be the Titanic and Star Wars all rolled into one.
  6. DarthRaptor Jedi Youngling

star 1
    <<I would not throw eggs at someone who said he liked ROTJ over AOTC... I would just never listen to a word he had to say again.>>

Um . . . I don't know about BETTER but I liked ROTJ AS MUCH AS AOTC. Come on! What's so bad about ROTJ?

*awaits egg throwing*

DR
  7. sdj Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Poor Undomiel having to watch Anakin fall....
  8. TheVioletBurns Jedi Master

star 4
    Undomiel - I feel the same way. :(

I can't wait. :D
  9. Undomiel Jedi Padawan

star 4
    TVB,

You might not be able to wait, but I think I'm going to stay away until I get a report on the "tear-jerker factor". :D
  10. abmccray Jedi Youngling

star 2
    ((You don't exactly win prizes for succeeding in defending your view...but hey, whatever floats your boat ))

My review pointed out exactly what I felt and WHY certain things were amateurish or did not work or paled in comparison to the OT, and no one has nulled out anything in it yet on 4 different sites. I'm not one of the people that complain about plotholes that can be explained in Ep3, ya know.

Until anything I've said is nullified, I'm doing a much better job of defending and explaining my views than most of the people who like it here who come up with such great defenses as "You look at the OT with nostalgia! (even though I see the flaws in the OT quite well) You have to dumb yourself down - it's for the kids - become a kid again! You aren't a true Star Wars fan!"
  11. abmccray Jedi Youngling

star 2
    ((I mean, that's the theory anyway - you're a Star Wars fan, you liked AOTC, I'd think you'd like to talk about it. Isn't that why this forum is here?))

I thought this forum was to talk about the movie? If I'm not mistaken, it is not called the "I LOVE AOTC" forum, is it?

I can just as easily complain about any negative thread immediately being invaded by tons of gushers flaming the originator of the thread.

You don't see me whining about being left alone so I can talk negatively about the film with people.
  12. TheVioletBurns Jedi Master

star 4
    haha, Undomiel - my mother is telling me the same thing! ;) She asked me so many questions after I took her to see AOTC, and now she's fretting over "how George Lucas can do that to the lovebirds!". She wants me to call her from college after Episode III and tell her if she'll be able to survive! :D
  13. sdj Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Wrote positive reviews and no one was able to nullify that either.
  14. Undomiel Jedi Padawan

star 4
    See! Us mom's know what's important. sniff, sniff. We see life over the long haul and it's much different than it is from the perspective of a 25 year old.
  15. abmccray Jedi Youngling

star 2
    As long as your positives aren't based on faulty logic, that's perfectly fine. I can easily agree to disagree on certain things with people.
  16. TheVioletBurns Jedi Master

star 4
    abmccray - no, it's not the "I LOVE AOTC" forum, but there's a specific thread called "I've seen the movie, and here are my thoughts", where you can go to voice your opinion/review.

Otherwise, I'd always thought this forum was to talk about the movie, you're right - but talking about what goes on in the Star Wars galaxy, not about what goes on outside of it! ;) Story elements, characterization, and how that all connects in the galaxy as a result of this new installment. Threads like "Anakin's Metaphysical Echo" and "A Woman's View of Padmé" are what this forum is about - great Star Wars discussion. Your thoughts about the execution of the movie, acting, and such, should go in the "Thoughts" thread. That's why it's there? ;)

EDITed for my wonderful grammar.
  17. Undomiel Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Personally, I'm interested in his perspective. So far, I'm only familar with the fact he doesn't like the acting or something. I guess I haven't been paying attention! lol Been too wrapped up in other threads of thought. Perhaps now would be a good time to ask!

MCCRAY:
    What is your opinion? You may PM it to me or post it here I guess, although I don't want to encourage you to get into a flame war with anyone you may be currently engaging in combat.
  18. abmccray Jedi Youngling

star 2
    My initial opinion is found at: http://www.arrogancy.net/news/1021580444,75140,.shtml , although I've changed a few slight things in retrospect/multiple viewings. Still most of the original sentiment remains.
  19. Darth-Solo Jedi Youngling

star 1
    The inkblot analogy is a great one. Look guys, we all are individual people with different brains and with different things that excite and frustrate us. I don't mind hearing any pro or cons about the movie. I like hearing another's perspective. The only thing that gets under my skin is when personal insults are hurled at someone,whether it's about opinions on the movies or what they'd like to see in EP3 or the Archival editions. I don't come here to antagonize people by calling them geeks,or telling someone that they don't have an eye for quality.

I will argue my opinions with anyone too,but I will never tell anyone that their opinion is stupid just because it isn't the same as mine.That's insulting to do to someone. I've seen people on these boards call people retarded,moronic,dense,etc... just because they thought differently about things. I am a HUGE Star Wars fan. I loved all the movies. I do think that some fans go a little overboard with their loyalty(like cutting on Spiderman with obvious bias)and I think some bashers,or fans that didn't like one of the movies go overboard with their veiws. My advice(which isn't worth much) is that the fans that bash other non Star Wars movies ,not worry about them and just enjoy Star Wars for it's own greatness,and that the bashers try not to look for the negative,because if your looking,it will be found,and life is a much more enjoyable thing when your not looking for the negative.
  20. Polaris_Fett Jedi Youngling

star 2
    You know what the best thing about AOTC was for me? The plot, the dialogue, the effects?

Nope.

The best thing about AOTC was that I liked it better than I thought I was going to. I can't ask for more than that.

Sure, the movie has flaws. All the SW movies do, we all know that. When I went into PM on opening day, I had huge expectations for plot and characterization and dialogue that just weren't met, partly because these are not Lucas's strong points and partly because probably nothing could have fully met them. It took me a long time to accept PM for what it was and appreciate it's qualities as a movie on it's own (it's still not my favourite SW by any means) So, I walked into AOTC wary, without unrealistic expectations, since I didn't want a repeat. And it was great. I probably need more than two hands full of fingers to list the things I would personally change, but show me one person here who wouldn't, if it was their own movie to write and produce. People have different opinions and different tastes, and that's going to affect how they enjoy the movies. Still, that doesn't mean people CAN'T enjoy them at all.

So, I guess I spilled coffee on my inkblot, and it changed a bit while I was watching AOTC....oops. ;)
  21. Undomiel Jedi Padawan

star 4
    MCCRAY

Well that was a trip. lol Are you that attractive Aaron guy, the guy with the webcam shows for $3648.fiddy? lol I'm sorry lol

22. Durwood Jedi Master

star 5
    Defending your opinion challenges your beliefs and the logic that they are based on - a debate proves just what your opinion is made of.

When we're talking movies, I find these discussions tiresome and draining rather than intellectually stimulating. I mean, if I like the new Star Wars films, do I necessarily have to present air tight logic in order to validate my opinion? Whatever happened to people liking something "just because"?

When it comes to philosophy and religion, I agree, proving "what your opinion is made of" is critical to affirming your values. But we're talking entertainment and art which have no absolutes, in fact, the values used to define what standards exist are purely subjective, and so trying to "prove" your opinion to someone who doesn't share it is a frustrating and futile exercise.

So can we please drop the pretense that one has to some how validate their positive opinion of Attack Of The Clones?
  23. sdj Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well said Durwood, hence my inkblot analogy.
  24. EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan

star 4
    To me there is a diffrence between saying "TPM/AOTC sucked," and saying "TPM/AOTC had bad story/feel." One has nothing behind it, the other is a debatale opinion. To a person who says the first, i would ask "What are you doing here?" to the other, i would not.

I do think that many people would like Star Wars even if it was bad. However, since usally we here debate and argue our views, they end up having little to say, or they change their opinions after they think about it, or they leave.

Hey, one time i (a basher) got a gusher to agree that TPM was not as he thought (he is still a gusher though). So it is possible and fruitful to debate our views here.

Although you are right that in the big picture it is just entertainment and not worth anything in the long run.
  25. DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "Well, SDJ, I'd have to conclude that that pathetic chump is too in love with the film I'm critcizing to consider anything other than his own blind, fanboyish love for it. That's the kind of sad sack who'd fly into a rage after being told that the Star Wars film I mentioned earlier featuring Lucas on the toilet is crap that they shouldn't tolerate."

Actually, endboss, I think SDJ was trying to ask how you would feel if someone criticised a movie you love, and then said you were misguided or confused for liking it (correct me if I'm wrong, SDJ). For example, say you were on a Godfather message board and someone claimed that anyone who preferred The Godfather Part II over the original had lost their critical faculties. Would you be okay with that?

abmccray, I don't think fans have a problem with criticism in general, it's just that certain bashers (mentioning no names) don't have a single good word to say about Lucas or the prequels, and bring out the same tired arguments in every thread. I think a lot of the bashers could really do with studying a course on constructive criticism.
    Look at these two hypothetical examples:

"I had a problem with the love story in AOTC. I didn't feel there was enough justification for Padme falling in love with Anakin, and Lucas could have done a better job developing that."

"AOTC sucked. If you guys loved it you must have really low standards when it comes to films."

The first post presents a reasonable criticism which can then lead to further debate. The second does not. Please tell me you can see the difference :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.