main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Attack of the Clones is rated PG!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MANDALORIAN, May 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoupDragon

SoupDragon Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    Isn't there a danger the headbutt removal could make the fight look a bit disjointed? Jango lunges forward and suddenly he's back on the other side of the screen. They might have to trim the whole sequence around it, which would be a shame.

2. Beckymonster

Beckymonster Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    Before you go ordering the R1 version - wouldn't it be a good idea to check that there is a disernable cut?!

Yes, that was the sound of me volunteering!

Dirty job but someone's got to do it!

Bit like polishing Ewan's lightsabre :D

3. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Didn't the PG rated Fellowship of the Ring have a headbutt in the final fight scene?
    I smell a conspiracy . . .

4. Mercury_Rapids

Mercury_Rapids Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2002
    The PG Rated Fellowship Of The Ring had decapitations, headbutts and all sorts of disturbing imagery that really belonged in a more adult-rated film.......

[image=http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.johnson1/lotrdecap.jpg]
    Decapitation

[image=http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.johnson1/lotrheadbutt.jpg]
    Headbutt (honest :) )

.... it is a terrific flick, though :)

5. SoupDragon

SoupDragon Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    The power of Sauron has spread its influence to the BBFC, interesting.

6. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    They fear his unblinking eye.

7. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    Bit like polishing Ewan's lightsabre

BECKY!!!!

...dirty girl! ;)

8. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    So even if AOTC isn't a better film than TPM, we know it's gonna be more violenter. Which is nice :)

9. Turr_Phennir

Turr_Phennir Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2000
    I still agree that it was right to make the cut. I personally think there is far too much violence in film these days.

I agree that ppl should be able to make an infomed choice about what they want to watch. At the same time, we should also ensure that children are not exposed to what I would call gratuitous violence.

Therefore, I would support the BBFC's decision. If Lucasfilm wanted to leave the "offending" scene in, then they should have accepted a 12 certficate. Simple as that.

10. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    It was always out of the question that Lucasfilm would accept anything other than a U or PG rating, as a huge percentage of their core SW audience would have been negated had they accepted any rating higher than that.
    The blame for this unforgivable act of intolerable censorship lies solely with the BBFC and their outrageously puritanical guidelines for certifying films. I'm sorry, but this country's film certification body is severely screwed up and is frankly a joke.
    There's no reason why that headbutt couldn't be left intact in a PG rated movie.

11. jamie69

jamie69 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 6, 2002
    children exposed to gratuitous violence,it never did me any harm.WHAT ARE YOU STARING AT,YOU FECK! as for violence in films,you know my post sept 11 opinions regarding that subject but soldiers desperatly blowing away hordes of bloodthirsty werewolves...bring it on,baby!
    as for the delay of DK2,given the amatuer effort of pt1,who gives a ****?
    better to remember dark knight returns as the pinnacle it was...you don't see moore and gibbons attempting watchmen2,do you?
    no.

12. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    well I think they should have left the headbutt in but do what they did with lord of the rings and say that it may not be suitable for children under a certain age. I mean they had people's limbs being cut off there and that was only a PG, this was only a headbutt

13. darth-dom

darth-dom Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2000
    I agree, they should have applied a warning. I'm still concerned that the cut will notice - one second they will both be wrestling, the next Obi Wan will be stumbling baqckward for no apparent reason.

14. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    it wont look like that, no editor is going to cut it and let it look like that. To be honest what I saw of the headbutt it didnt have that much effect on obi wan anyway

15. Turr_Phennir

Dec 10, 2000
    Everything has a context and I am not saying that there is anything wrong with violence in films. I do feel that ppl should be able to make an informed choice - such as the warning that was with Lord of the Rings.

Personally, I find some of the violence in today's film's disturbing. That doesn't mean that I would deny the right for other ppl to watch it - all I am saying is that as an audience we should be properly informed and given the choice.

Neither do I subscribe to the idea that violence in films directly influences young children. However, I would say that a constant barrage of violent scenes over time, is without question going to have an effect.

I still believe that the BBFC was right in its decision. It is after all only 1 second!

16. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    So what you're saying Mark is that it's OK for teh rest of the film to have lightsabres swinging about, and other bits that I will not mention for those who wish to be spoiler free, but a headbutt would be unforgivable?

I'm pretty sure that as kids, most of us would play lightsabre fights using big sticks with our friends, and that has the potential to be more hurtful than a headbutt. Someone could lose an eye.

With a headbutt, what's the worst that could happen? - broken nose in worst case scenario maybe, but you're certainly more likely to find kids playing lightsabres than headbutting each other. And, in as well a choreographed scene as I'm expecting it will be, you would never notice it

For those worried about the cut, normally BBFC policy is to show the headbutt being initiated, they will just remove the contact

17. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    all I am saying is that as an audience we should be properly informed and given the choice.

But we aren't. They removed it. Unless you can ask the usher on the way in to put it back in again.

18. Turr_Phennir

Dec 10, 2000
    No, that's not what I am saying. I haven't seen the film as yet nor no much about the story, so can't really comment on the content.

However, if Lucasfilm wanted to leave that scene in, they could have had a "12" rating. They chose not too, so its cut and now a PG. I don't see the point that kids could imitate a lightsabre fight and poke their eye out being somehow worse than them imitating a headbutt and breaking their friends nose!

After all, a lightsabre is not real - it is a creation of Lucas' mind. Okay, I know you can buy plastic ones!

The difference I think is that a headbutt is direct physical violence. It is using part of your body to deliberately injure or maim somebody else. For that reason, I can see why it would be unacceptable.

I can see your argument as well Andy and I hope I've made it clear that I am not on some moral crusade! I just don't think that film censorship is wrong or that making this cut is wrong. In fact my own view is that censorship has become more relaxed in recent years and I see nothing wrong with that. The point is that everyone should have informed choice about what they want to see and be aware of the content of a film.

I strongly believe that we should protect our children from gratuitous violence in film and on television. As adults we can make a choice as to what we watch and at the same time we should have enough information and protection, to ensure that our children are not exposed to violence.

19. Darth Scourge

Jun 4, 2000
    It doesn't make me feel any better. 1 second or 1 minute... it's irrelevant. The fact remains that the BBFC have done the unthinkable and screwed with a SW movie. That's just... well... sacrilegious. :( :mad:

20. Turr_Phennir

Dec 10, 2000
    OJK, Lucasfilm were given a choice. They could have selected a "12" rating.

We do need to have someone to censor film's and ensure that their content is suitable for the audience concerned. My point returns to the fact, that for a film , which will be watched by many children it should be applicable to that audience. I am sorry but I do not think that a headbutt is acceptable for that audience.

That is my opinion and I can see that other ppl will disagree with that. As I said previously, I am not on a moral crusade! We all have different attitudes and I personally find gratuitous violence distasteful and unnecessary, although clearly in the right context it can portray a powerful message.

I just do not believe that the scene in question would be suitable in a "PG" rated film.

21. MayhemUK

MayhemUK Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2001
    What IS daft though Mark, as I stated above, is that a 7 year old in Holland can see the film uncut (it's been rated MG6 there), whilst an 11 year old here cannot.

Believe me, there are FAR worse things on display in AotC (influencing kiddie wise) than the headbutt...

The BBFC have been after headbutts in films for god knows how long, that's the real reason it's been cut out... likewise The Mummy Returns had one removed to get it down to a 12 from a 15 (though the original Mummy was a 15 incidentally).

22. Turr_Phennir

Dec 10, 2000
    It doesn't matter what the rating is in any other country. Different countries and even ppl, have disparate attitudes towards violence. Believe me, I am not here as a spokesman for the BBFC! I can see the reason for their decision and believe it is right.

Clearly, I am on my own on this one ;)

23. Darth Scourge

Jun 4, 2000
    I don't think that headbutt is any more dangerous to our youth than any other act of combat seen in the movie. It's so heavily stylized and steeped in an otherworldly essence that it could not realistically be seen as offensive or any more likely to be imitated on the UK's playgrounds than anything else depicted in the film.
    The fact remains that the BBFC's certification parameters are puritanical, pedantic and blatantly overzealous.

24. Dark_Queen

Dark_Queen Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 23, 2002
    Since when is a headbut worse than say, a flying drop kick in the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers which is available to kids here on Terrestrial TV? I really can't see the point in cutting just that particular scene... I have to agree with Darth Scourge here it's overzealousness to the extreme!

25. Mercury_Rapids

Mercury_Rapids Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2002
    "Clearly, I am on my own on this one "

No, I think the point most people are trying to get across (well I am at least) is that the BBFC are not being consistent in their application of censorship.

Why are scenes of gratuitous violence and disturbing visual imagery allowed in the PG rated Lord of the Rings, but not in a PG rated Attack of the Clones?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.