main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Attack of the Clones or Empire Strikes Back

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Force Smuggler, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I just made a long post about the topic at hand: "AOTC or TESB?"

Hope you enjoyed it.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    This is one where I can't state "easily" in my choice (like I can in the TPM vs ANH or ROTS vs ROTJ threads).
    For a long time I valued ESB over AOTC, but in the last year (after rewatching the Saga two or three times) I've discovered more & more things that bother me about ESB that bother me (mostly to do with Han, who I grow to strongly dislike more & more).

So at this stage, AOTC quietly inches over ESB.

3. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Uh, there's a little bit more to it than that. Just like there's more to: "Vader gets electrocuted. Dies."
    Addiction is very much a factor in their story, yes, as intended.

4. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013

dARTh Nub: I respect your wishes, and I will back off. I just didn't need Cryogenic lecturing me on how to post on TFN, because he seems to think he is a mod and knows what is the right or wrong way to post around here.

Cryogenic: You can now go back to posting your 'War and Peace-like' essay on the SW movies.... :p

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "Losing the will to live" is lame as hell no matter what wall of text is used as explanation.

I can't wrap my brain around why Lucas deliberately chose to make the love story that created Luke and Leia a story of unhealthy codependency. It's extremely disappointing, especially given what a strong character Padme was in TPM and for most of AOTC.

Han and Leia's story was much better given how fiercely independent they both were. Their lives were each better with the other in it but they functioned just fine separately. That's characteristic of a healthy love relationship.

Frank T. and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah but Han and Leia argue all the time! That can't be healthy either!

7. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    No text explanation is necessary. Just fallow the prequel narrative and its imagery.
    This is weird. You've got the storytelling logic of it just right and yet you're still somehow missing the logical conclusion. Unhealthy codependency is, in part, what leads Anakin and Padme's love story to a tragic end. It's not just about bad stuff happening to them externally. If they were in it together the way Han and Leia were, with those same strengths, you wouldn't have much of a story to tell in the first place, at least not one as thematically driven.

Ezon Pin and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  8. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    For me it’s Attack of the Clones. But first...

The Empire Strikes Back is primordially id. It’s a movie that recedes inside itself, so to speak, inverting the concrete, semi-documentric universe of A New Hope into a murky head trip, dismissing any attempt to maintain logical time-frames with its split narrative and casting nearly every scene in some manner of sleep-light. It’s also a black comedy of sorts, skirting Brazil-levels of managerial madness. I’m surprised by the number of criticisms regarding Han and Leia. Never had a problem with it myself. Their interludes are fun and feisty; I can almost see them posing together in a promo ad for some 80s romantic TV dramedy:

[​IMG]

You know what else I love about Empire? Crazy-eyed Yoda off his rocker:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Soon followed by this shot:

[​IMG]

9. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    The Star Wars saga as a whole is innately odd; Attack of the Clones is even odder. Part of what makes it so strange is how contrarily straight it plays everything. Characters behave ordinarily amidst the plot proceedings, with zero bemusement to their surroundings and seemingly oblivious to any number of 'WTF?!' moments. For example, when Obi-Wan abruptly crashes through a window onto a courier droid, Anakin reacts without so much as even a "Huh," or "Well, that just happened," before bolting off. Of course, all the Star Wars films do this to a degree, but this one seems even more ubiquitous with invention ranging from silly to absurd to surreal. I mean, stop for a moment and plainly consider the following:

A cafeteria full of Jangos.

Wat Tambor adjusting his voice modulator like some phat beatbox artist.

Threepio battle droid.

Watto wearing a little hat.

Casual Force floating: silver ornamental balls, star-map marbles, fruit.

First-step mechanization of the Galactic Empire initiated by Jar Jar Binks.

Padme inside a giant bowl or, conversely, a regular-sized bowl with a miniature Padme inside.

Padme lying in the sand ...moaning. [face_plain]

Super Mario Yoda.

Just what is going on here? Warped anamorphics and those gauzy digital artifacts unique to Sony/Panavision’s HDW-F900, way back yonder 2002, tipped the whole damned thing into some kind of bizarre videographic theater as imagined by a future-past era, as if the movie slipped into our reality from an alternate timeline where 1930s Hollywood was using 1930s HD cameras. Far out.

10. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    You almost make me wanna watch it again

Darkslayer likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't do imagery or themes. I didn't like English Lit classes and have no desire to repeat them in a movie that I pay money for. I want to be entertained, I want a movie with enjoyable characters and an enjoyable plot, and a formerly-great character "losing the will to live" is neither entertaining nor enjoyable.

12. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Absolutely! Although I still am not sure if I've found anyone who shares my particular view on the saga (in, the OT are overall better films simply because they tried to do less and and were successful with greater frequency within those parameters than the PT films were with theirs, BUT that all 6 films are ultimately incredibly satisfying and engaging films). But I have found this environment much more friendly than the "let's all assume everyone hates the PT" mentality of other parts of the internet.

I want to echo Cyrogenic and Ingram for a moment that I think both of these films are the most pure, the most undiluted representations of the goals of their respective trilogies. Empire, as many have noticed, is the most focused on intimate human drama, on bringing the whambam glitzy action of classic sci-fi serials into the modern film world of philosophical undertones and realistically painted characters. It's the most focused on that pseudo-Christian, pseudo-Buddhist idea of subverting gut expectations, showing the light that can come out of the darkest, grimiest areas, and the dark that can rest at the core of the superficially pristine (have you ever considered that cloud city, in terms of locations, is essentially ESB's Death Star? That says a lot about the film.) It's a visually and thematically cold film that has a heart of sweeping romanticism at its core (what a great contradiction.)

Compared to the rest of the saga, AOTC, as Ingram alluded to, is probably the least aware of its own absurdities. I sometimes wonder if, as a direct reaction to the public outcry over TPM's steadfast sense of silliness, George Lucas decided to make a second film that was, on the surface, much more self-serious, but still contained all of the quirk that Lucas was so fond of. It is kind of remarkable how understated the humor is. Take, for instance, the "I dreamed about you" exchange between Anakin and padme. Any other director would have milked that for as much awkward humor as possible, but not George. I think the film is also the most representative of George's prequel mentality. Because it lacks the childlike warmth of TPM and the end-of-days tone of ROTS, Clones relies purely on its combination of the political and the romantic, the mysterious and the bombastic. Getting off my pretentious, analytical podium, I'll also say that I don't think I watched any movie sequence in the entirety of my childhood as much as I watched the Btattle of Geonosis. Good Lord that was just a wonderful, technologically marvelous third act bonanza. As a kid, those are the kinds of finales you dream about. To see one on screen was amazing.

Ultimately, although AOTC might be my favorite film in he saga just because of the childlike glee and nostalgia that it gives me, I think I ultimately have to give the benefit to ESB because it's truly, in my eyes, a better film. Not only is it the most intimate, human, and quietly emotional of the saga, but it's also a movie that, along with the second Godfather 6 years prior, changed the modern idea of a film sequel, and, when you consider how much of ESB was essentially made up in reaction to ANH, it's a pretty remarkable feat of storytelling.

13. Han Burgundy

Jan 28, 2013
    Apologies, everyone, for the double post, but...

Are entertainment and art two mutually exclusive concepts? Can they not intermingle? They both aim to stimulate the senses, one to please, the other to challenge. But is it unacceptable to consider a film that does both? I think not, especially when you consider that so many of the "greatest films of all time" do exactly that. The prequel trilogy had a different set of goals than the original trilogy. They aimed to not only be entertainment, but also intellectually challenging works that comment on society in a way the originals never did, or tried to. You can argue that they weren't successful in that regard, and in some ways I'd agree with you. But to hate them for trying would be a mistake.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Hating a work of art is a matter of differing taste, not a mistake. There is not a right way to watch a movie.

Yeah, films can do both if you're into that sort of thing, but I'm not seeing any "commentary on society" in Padme "losing the will to live" and Anakin, well, doing what he did in most of ROTS, other than "some people are monumentally ****ing stupid, some people are wusses, and stupid people and wusses both suck." I'm not sure how I was supposed to be entertained by that, although I suppose I could try MSTing it.

On topic, I've MST'ed AOTC many times,

TX-20 and Frank T. like this.
  15. Han Burgundy

Jan 28, 2013
    I misread your post, thought you were talking about the PT in general. I actually concur that the circumstances around Padmes death have never sat well with me, regardless of any greater significance.

Also, MST'd?

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Attack of the Clones hands down. I've always felt Empire is so overrated, and Clones was my childhood favorite, so there's that :)

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked TPM and AOTC.

As far as MST'ed...Mystery Science Theater, in which the audience adds its own, er, commentary to the film.

Han Burgundy likes this.
  18. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Uuuh... oh. kay.

Not really ...I'm not really sure, where to go with this. Why then do you even bother watching Star Wars? Why do you bother watching movies, period?
    Well, that's great and everything, though I'm not sure what English Lit has to do with the matter at hand. Look, comprehending Padme's demise beyond the cursory 'death by broken heart' cliff-note hardly requires some cryptic, esoteric, arcane knowledge of...I dunno...whatever it is you think must be necessary; rather, just a basic engagement in a movie that uses "movie" to tell its story.
    I want a movie with a story. Characters and plot without themes or ideas isn't a storyit's an audit, which isn't something I consider to be entertaining.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I really should stop here, but against my better judgment, I'm going to answer beyond "it's none of your damn business."

I watch Star Wars because it's entertaining. At least most of it is.

As far as "comprehending" Padme's demise...there's nothing to "comprehend." She "lost the will to live," period, and no extraneous commentary used as an excuse makes that any less idiotic or lame.

Pulling "themes" is the kind of bull**** that happens in English Lit classes. Or to put it another way, I had this in my signature once:

Book says: "The curtains were blue."
    Literary analyst says: "The curtains represented the melancholy nature of the main character's life."
    Author says: "The curtains were ****ing blue."

My favorite films are from the 80s. I didn't assume that Marty McFly had some deep aspirations about wanting to revisit his parents' youth and then write an essay on the experience about how youth in the 80s are so much different and more contemplative than youth in the 50s. He just got in the ****ing Delorean and accelerated to 88 miles per hour. The acceleration did not mean he was desperate to escape his own life either, it only meant he was desperate to escape Libyans who were trying to shoot him.

No need to overcomplicate things. Padme was a wuss.

Darkslayer, Frank T. and Carbon1985 like this.
  20. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Whoa. Easy, there. Where did that come from? You're on a Star Wars message board engaged in a discussion about Star Wars, but then claim you have no time or interest in the very thing that makes up a Star Wars movie, or any movie for that matter, which seems a tad contradictive and counterproductive, to say the least. So, I was just trying to get some bearing on your stance, is all. Wasn't exactly asking for a diary confession.
    False dichotomy and a circular argument. That's a double whammy. Impressive. As for the rest...
    Ayeee got nothin' here. I mean, themes are bull****? Over complicate things? ...Libyans?

Hows about this: a movie, has moving images and sounds, that you see and hear. This information, goes to your brain, and becomes, thought. Images and sounds, form narrative, which presents themes stuff. Stuff, tell brain, what happening.

21. Han Burgundy

Jan 28, 2013
    Listen... on some level, I agree with you. Many films, and parts of films, are meant to be taken at face value. That's great. That kind of cinema is what made me the rabid movie fan I am today. But there's more than that out there. There are numerous films, many of them considered to be truly great, that use symbolic imagery, have themes or allegorical elements that relate to the real world, or use other literary techniques to tell a story that operates on multiple intellectual levels. When the heads of the 5 families being assassinated is intercut with Michael Corleone being made his nephews godfather, and renouncing satan, is that really meant to be taken at face value? That doesn't mean anything other than "some people died and a baby got baptized"?

I get the point you're trying to make that Padme's death was a poor bit of storytelling. I even agree with you. But I don't understand why you're trying to argue that narrative complexity is an illusion created by over-analytical art critics, or that any attempt by an author to invest their work with some
    greater meaning is a sham. I get that it's not your cup of tea. That's fine, you're entitled to your opinions. Just know that centuries worth of history and culture happens to disagree with you.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ingram_I : "The very thing that makes up a Star Wars movie"? [face_laugh] Yeah, I think we differ there if you believe that Star Wars movies deserve some sort of in-depth literary analysis along the lines of the snooty headmaster in Dead Poet's Society.

As for the rest of your post--I am rather amused that you believe that wanting to be entertained, somehow makes me stoooopid. [face_laugh]

Han Burgundy : I haven't seen The Godfather and I think you just talked me out of it.

And "centuries of history" produced bull**** like two teenagers committing suicide because they couldn't be together because their families didn't like each other, and a wussy woman who dies yelling "Heathcliff!"

I'll pass. (And yes, I've read both works, they were both the opposite of entertaining.)

Lucas could have made a great story by having Padme retain her TPM strength and keep moving. He chose not to. And to me, if he's using "narrative complexity," it sounds like an excuse to tell those of us who don't like it, that we're just too stoooopid to get it...which us convenient.

I get what he was trying to do. But it was lame and stupid.

23. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Eh, not quite. But they at least deserve...thing-king.
    Entertainment is the only reason I watch Star Wars.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ah, I see.

A two-fer in condescension towards those who disagree with you. That's always fun.

I rest my case.

But you did slam Back to the a Future, which just indicates that we will never agree on anything ever. [face_peace]

25. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    A preference for thinking = condescension?
    What case?
    I did? When?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.