main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Attack of the Clones: the film that TPM should have been

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by TrueJedi, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    I don't know. I just wanted to find a way to include the new title into this forum.

Or, it sounds like a real Star Wars as opposed to that belly-aching and whining TPM. :p

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    What the hell kind of stupid title is "Attack of the Clones"????

3. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    I loved "The Phantom Menace" but this title is just very sad. "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes".

4. TPMrules23

TPMrules23 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2000
    I'm not sure myself Hawk. It's been growing on me at a very slow pace. The movie kicks total a**, that is the consolation for my shock as of now.

5. TPMrules23

Apr 10, 2000
    See, the title has some good duality, and a neat twist to it, but that dwells into spoilers. Still, I can't keep 'Attack of the Killer Tomatoes' out of my head, either, Hawk...its just its a decent title, but all the past 'Attacks of ....' keep flashing in my head....

6. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    This title will weed out the fans who are only going to complain on opening night.

7. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Could this be "Blue Harvest" all over again? So far the fans on all the polls have strongly leaned towards "hate it!". This thread will probably close but it shouldn't. It isn't a spoiler and it links to the basher argument.

Also, you can't even get your voice heard in the spoiler forum these days. So this is a good place to talk about the title without being crammed with a hundred posts.

P.S. First to call on Go-mer saying he loves the title!

8. TPMrules23

Apr 10, 2000
    I agree with what you are saying, Go-Mer to a point. I just feel GL totally ignored the romance, and the great relationships in the movie when naming it, but then again, he did it for ESB, as well. Neither film symbolizes the movie well, they are both, simple, funny titles.

TJ - I'm surprised you like the title so much, what do you like about it so much?

9. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Damn it. He already did while I was editing! RRR

10. TPMrules23

Apr 10, 2000
    Yeah, Hawk, there are soooo many socks and newbies on the AOTC/EII forum its NUTS.

It's not Blue Harvest, Hawk, don't get your hopes it. Your only shot is that its Revenge of the Jedi ;)

11. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    It's a stupid title but it's pretty funny. I'm one of those who loved the Nemodians. It'll probably grow on me like "The Empire Strikes Back". All those titles were pretty silly so I guess this could be a good sign. So far I have decided that TPM will be the worst SW film. I don't think AOTC (hey a new one :)) can be any worse.

12. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    I think it's an OK title as long as there really is an attack of the clones, and not like in the "March of the Wooden Soldiers" where they show up in the last few minutes of the damn film.

Remember:

The Phantom Menace showed himself in the first few minutes of TPM

The New Hope showed himself in the first few minutes of ANH.

The Empire Struck back in the first few minutes of ESB.

The Jedi Returned in the first few minutes of ROTJ.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  13. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    Are you kidding me? This is really the title for EP2? You guys have the "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" duality pegged. Maybe George Clooney has a cameo in EP2. :)

14. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    We've been trying to tell you people that Georgie Boy was losing it. This is the first time that I'm sad that I'm right. :( George if your reading please put down that bong and seek some help.

15. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Cheesy? Yes, but so is most of the rest of SW.

I am soooo tempted to lock this topic. I expected as much from you guys. [face_plain]

16. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    We (I) expect as much from you ND.

I seriously have a hard time believing that's the new name of EP2. It's incredulous!

17. MoonMan080

MoonMan080 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2001
    Hmm Attack Of The Clones........

eh... I don't really care about the name. MAn, The EII forum is @#$% nuts. I mean, how much is there to debate?

Attack Of The Clones
    Attack Of The Clones
    Attack Of The Clones
    Attack Of The Clones

Ya, it'll sink in...............

18. darthsidious32

darthsidious32 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    The title has already sunk in for me. While I'll agree that it's cheesy, it has the same feel as "The Empire Strikes Back" if you think about it. And "The Phantom Menace" is kind of a cheesy title. Heck, doesn't "Star Wars" sound just as cheesy? Seriously, think about it for a second...

The Only titles in the SW saga that aren't really that cheesy are ANH and ROTJ. But all of the titles have that "Buck Rogers" cheesy sci-fi feel to them. It's just my opinion of course. And besides, even if you think it IS a bad title, that says nothing about the movie itself. If the movie is great, the negativity surrounding the title will fade away. In fact, the negativity surrounding "The Phantom Menace" title faded away, even when many fans hated the movie.

Just look at how the titles look:

The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
    A New Hope
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi

It looks fitting to me IMHO. If the movie sucks, that's when I'll start complaining.

19. Delphium

Delphium Jedi Master star 1

Jun 3, 2001
    I think Attack of the Clones sounds more like Star Wars than Phantom Menace did. Maybe after TPM we were expecting similar to TPM title, instead it seems to go back to the cheese titles. I was in shock this morning, I'm liking it though!

20. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Even though I'm supposed to a humourless basher from the radioactive planet of Skaro...err...forget that bit about Skaro, I actually rather like this title. I know it's rather cheesy, but unlike The Phantom Menace, it's cheesy in a cool way. Also, George Lucas always comes up with cheesy titles for things. Did you really think he'd come up with some ultra witty title for Episode II? I like to think of it this way:- A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Raiders of the Lost Ark all are very silly titles, but incredibly brilliant films. Let's hope Attack of the Clones follows that trend. Or am I just drunk of opitism? Oh no...it's beer as well. D'oh!

21. MoonMan080

MoonMan080 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2001
    I just don't see how so,e of these guys can care so much, even if they are freakin obsessed with SW

22. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    I find it interesting that "bashers" don't like the title, while "gushers" accept it as "SW cheese".

Maybe it's just a pessimist vs. optimist situation...

23. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Nathan, old chap, I'm not a gusher, and I like it.

24. Palpazzar

Palpazzar Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    I'm a gusher, but I don't think the title flows well.

It's growing on me though. I care about the moive, not the name.

25. Vonn

Vonn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    AOTC is almost as cheesy as naming a movie, "Star Wars."

Lucas should have named it, "The rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker." Or anything, but "STAR WARS?" What does that have to do with the plot?

Still, I can't 'til I can start saying, "Scene 35 in The Phantom Menace foreshadows scene 64 in Attack of The Clones, where Anakin saves....."

It works for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.