main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Attack of the Clones: the film that TPM should have been

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by TrueJedi, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    BS,

From my spoiled days, I think you're right...

Maybe your lifelong dream of 3 films of the Clone Wars is never going to happen?

Maybe you figured that out in 1999...

2. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    At this point I would settle for one movie focusing on the Clone Wars. I don't think we'll even get that. I can see the opening crawl of Ep III now: "With the Clone Wars over, the battered Republic..." Old GL will probably shove the entire Clone Wars offscreen between Attack of the Clones and Ep III.

3. Quaff-Down Gin

Quaff-Down Gin Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 1999
    'Clone Encounters of the IInd Kind'

------------------------

You'll all be shocked to hear that I don't particularly care for the new title.

And after some hoochie I like it even less.

GL needs to crack a can of Schlitz, spark a stogie and sit and _think_ for a second from an adult perspective.

GL: "My inner adult has evaporated! It's IMPOSSIBLE to come up with a good title!"

I just can't picture myself saying "Hey, you remember that great scene in Attack of the Clones..." without barreling over in laughter before I can even finish the sentence.

Well, at least Jim Rome and the Jungle clones got a kick out of the whole deal...

4. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I too think that Attack of the Clones is an interesting title for Episode 2 because while the clone armies don't actually attack until (SPOILER: I can't say it because it gives away too much info of what will happen), their very existence is an attack on the jedi and the republic because by (ANOTHER SPOILER), they have already affected the very outcome that will happen in Episode 3 which is the destruction of the Jedi, the end of the republic, and the Sith's 25-year reign over the universe.

BTW, I like the title "Revenge of the Sith" that Go-mer made because its makes a much better title for Episode 3.

5. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    That would certainly be a bit of a kick in the nuts for the fanboys...

I think that III is the one you're waiting for, though.

[EDIT]
    PMT, I smell what you're cooking...

What has "Star Wars Episode II- Attack of the Clones" and "Friday 13th part IX- Jason Goes to Hell" got in common?

6. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    "A full four hours before your post I posted the following in the Sanctuary: "What I'm looking forward to is Go-Mer-Tonic and company divining the hidden meanings and profound depths of the title, "Attack of the Clones"."

Well, at least I think I have a better idea now as to what "sparks" Gomer to heights of analytical, double entendre fancy. ;)

7. Rogue-Leader

Rogue-Leader Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    Let's just hope Lucas decides to change the title to "The Clone Wars" or "Return of the Sith"(sound familiar) before the movie comes out. Of course you must realize just because the title is lousy doesn't mean the movie won't be the greatest film since ESB

8. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Why not have all the fans ban together and call the movie something else? If we work together on this, the anals of history might remember EII by our title on not Attack of the Clowns --er, Clones, despite what it says in the crawl.

9. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    Of course if the movie ends up being excellent (although after TPM I'm cautiously optimistic at best) then the title will cease to seem as ridiculous. Imagine how ESB would read now as a title if the movie itself had been littered with poop jokes and cut-and-paste villains... but it wasn't. It was an unbelievably strong film, and therefore it adds immeasurable weight to a pulpy title like The Empire Strikes Back. I'm truly hoping that Episode II will be comparably strong as a film and will lend that same dramatic weight to the goofy "Attack Of The Clones" title that we're scratching our heads over now.

10. TPMrules23

TPMrules23 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2000
    Binary,
    You are losing your objectivity, don't jump on the AICN-ish bandwagon. There is NO reason to show the Clone Wars in full, since they are nothing but a backdrop to the REAL story, and EII will have Clone Wars...they aren't called the Clone Wars, yet, but there is Clone fighting.

It's just at this point, people are mistaken about what side the Clones are on, and I think its important for people to know going into the movie what EII is really about. Otherwise they are setting themselves up for letdown. With the correct knowledge in mind, the title seems confusing, yet has a coolness to it, because of its foreshadow/duality.

TJ,
    I'm glad you like the title! I'm not sure if I can say that, yet.

No, the romance of EII is not like Titanic, its serious, and its real, and it has Natalie Portman :)

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    You know what I can't wait for? The legion of "objective" fans who will instantly assume the title is meaningless.

12. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    TPM23 you're getting awful close to spoiling some of us. Hell, I don't even look at the official site because I want all of the people and Jedi and Sith to be a surprise. Unfortunately, this site has already ruined some of that for me.

Please, no more assurances about what the movie will or will not have. Just let us contemplate until next May.

PLEEEEEAAAAASSSSEEEEE!!!!

:) :) :)

And Gomer, I think the majority of people posting here are generally excited about the title, or at least what the title represents. Even bashers, even me. At least it is a foreshadowing, I hope, of what's to come.

13. Bud Frescoe

Bud Frescoe Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2000
    Star Wars
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Revenge of the Jedi
    Return of the Jedi
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    The Temple of Doom
    The Last Crusade
    Romancing the Stone
    Blade Runner
    The Maltese Falcon
    Full Metal Jacket
    Raging Bull
    The Shawshank Redemption
    The Silence of the Lambs
    Apocalypse Now
    Touch of Evil
    Paths of Glory
    Reservoir Dogs

Sorry guys, but "Attack of the Clones" just doesn't have the same poetic ring. Even TPM had two uncommon words that sort of "worked" when put next to each other. AOTC just sounds silly.

14. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Speak for yourself, Stoney. Down with AOTC!!! This title tasks me, it tasks me and I shall crush it beneath my heel!! HAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!!!!

15. Quaff-Down Gin

Quaff-Down Gin Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 1999
    "No, the romance of EII is not like Titanic, its serious, and its real, and it has Natalie Portman."

You heard the dialogue in TPM, right? And suddenly EII is going to be Bogart and Bergman in Casablanca?

If GL can pull THAT off, I'll give him a standing ovation for a year. Let's just say that I'm not yet warming up my hands.

------------------

I don't like this new title, period, but if the movie is on par with ANH/ESB, I could care less about it.

Here's the problem with a goofy title: If the movie's no good, then the whole thing is a complete joke.

Of course, if it's excellent then the title really won't matter in the long run.

Why you wouldn't want a good title is a perplexing question, though.

16. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    "There is NO reason to show the Clone Wars in full, since they are nothing but a backdrop to the REAL story..."

Uh... just like there was no reason to show the Rebellion and its struggle against the Empire since it was just a backdrop for the "real" story?

Er, okay man...

(BTW, cut it with the spoiler **** already, willya? Some of us are still hoping to be pleasantly SURPRISED by AOTC.)

17. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Oh, but Quaff-Down Gin, AOTC is a rich and deep title filled with awe and symbolism far beyond the comprehense of most men! GL is sure to get the oscar for best named film!

Urp!!!!

18. CeeJay

CeeJay Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Remember me?

I had to come back if only for a short while to debate this title.. Sorry my old fellow bashers but I kinda like it! Attack of the Clones is simply typical of the type of title used in the old Republican Serials that GL harkens the origins of the SW saga and the Indiana Jones trilogy. Just like The Empire Strikes Back, 'Attack' blatantly informs you of the films 'main event' so to speak but then there is always more... Who knew when they first heard the title TESB, that it would contain a pretty entertaining love story and a startling revelation at it's end? If you just went by the title of TESB you'd think the whole film would be about the Empire kicking butt.. well they did, but there was more to it than that! Jedi training, cunning Asteroid field chases, doublecrosses and triplecrosses not to mention a fantastic sword fight!

Attack of the Clones...

It sounds about right to me, it pinpoints the main event or at least the start of it but just like it's sister middle film in the OT I believe it will be more than the sum of it's parts! Cheer up pals, you can at least expect more Jedi training, a good chase scene, an enetertaining romantic subplot a doublecross, a triplecross, fantastic sword fights (plural) and maybe even a startling revelation at the end!

..Yes my friends, Qui Gon was Anakins father..!

19. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    :: looks at the title of the thread ::

Ok, True Jedi gave me my first good laugh on this board in a while.

:D

20. Bud Frescoe

May 19, 2000
    Scary question of the day: George undoubtably discussed titles with Jonathan Hale. To what extent is "AOTC" representative of their collaboration on the film?

21. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    *Sigh* -- I don't like being a basher, CeeJay. I've always tried to be the "objective" one, but if you bashers aren't going to do your job, I'll just have to do it for you.

Down with AOTC!!!!!! Long live the AOTC Rebellion!!!!

22. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Bud Frescoe, no, stop, your scarying me!

(Stryphe quickly chants his montra to calm himself down: "There's no such thing as a bad SW movie, There's no such thing as a bad SW movie..")

23. Bud Frescoe

May 19, 2000
    "Attack of the Clones is simply typical of the type of title used in the old Republican Serials that GL harkens the origins of the SW saga and the Indiana Jones trilogy."

Not so sure on that one. Raiders of the Lost Ark, yes. Empire Strikes Back, yes. "Attack of the Clones" sounds more like a bad 50's horror flick than a Republic serial. In other words, in 1940, "Attack of the _________" might have sounded like a throwback to the serials of early cinema. Nowadays its a throwback to a 50's b-movies.

Kind of like the line "Will the real ________ please stand up." Once a reference to a game show--now a reference to a rap song.

24. MoonMan080

MoonMan080 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2001
    Why is it that I cannot bring myself to give a damn about the name of Ep2?

25. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    [EDIT] [EDIT] Never mind......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.