main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Attack of the Clones: the film that TPM should have been

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by TrueJedi, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    There is NO reason to show the Clone Wars in full, since they are nothing but a backdrop to the REAL story, and EII will have Clone Wars...they aren't called the Clone Wars, yet, but there is Clone fighting.

I can't agree with you that Star WARS is not really about star wars. The real story is the fight about good vs. evil. The war is very significant and we should be able to see it.

Like I said, if the war is relegated to the last few minutes of the film, I hope it's done very well or there are going to be some upset people.

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Now I really hope that there is no hint of a war in Episode II.

I mean really, some fans are already upset. What are they going to do? Be more upset? Ooooh scary. You think they might actually stop patronising the fanchise?

No anything but that! ;)

3. MoonMan080

MoonMan080 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2001
    hmmmmmmmmm..............

4. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    You know, last week if someone told me that having long thought out debates about something like Star Wars was silly, I'd have told him to stick it somewhere. But now, I see a bunch of guys arguing about a movie called Attack of the Clones (myself included), and suddenly, I start to see why we look weird to non-fans.

5. grayson

grayson Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 1999
    Man, it would be poetic justice if some of the gushers just hated Ep. II. (Sorry, I just can't do the new name yet.) Go-Mer's last post has me steaming. I just wish gushers could feel, if only for a few minutes, a little of what I felt after seeing TPM. Then maybe you would be a little more understanding. So, Go-Mer, I wish upon you two hours of clone wars and direct contradictions to all of your TPM theories. May midis be proved nonexistent, Jar-Jar found to be a traitor, and Qui-Gon declared a sith. Ahhhhh. . . . payback.

6. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    Sorry Gomer but there will be a war in Ep. II, whether Ep. II-bashers like you like it or not. ;)

7. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Yeah? well that is ignoring Lucas' original vision.

I mean really what did Yoda say huh?

He said (and I quote) Yoda: Wars not make one great.

There it is, living proof that George not only doesn't care about the classic trilogy, but he in all likelyhood forgot he even made it in the first place. Why else would he jump from Episode 6 to Episode I? I tell you he is starting over, and it is all going to be like the Matrix.

8. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    I knew it... I KNEW IT!!! DAMN!!!!!

(Is it too late for me to go back and become a raging "Krush Groove"/"Gleaming The Cube" fan??)

9. darthsidious32

darthsidious32 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
    A New Hope
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi

Just say these titles a few times together. IMHO, they go together very nicely. They all have the same feel to them.

Is "The Empire Strikes Back" that great of a title without the history of it's plot backing it up? Of course not. It's got the same feel as "Attack of the Clones." The only difference is that we haven't seen AOTC yet, and TESB has become a household term. Once we see this title on the official Episode II logo, and on the Episode II opening crawl, it's going to feel like a Star Wars title. Just picture all of this for a second. Don't THINK cheesy sci-fi B movies when thinking about the title. Think Star Wars.

Hey, look at "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom." Whether you think this is a good movie or not doesn't matter. At first, this title looks just as cheesy as AOTC. But when one sees the movie, they just say things like, "Temple of Doom" was great, or "Temple of Doom" sucked, only caring about the content of the film. It didn't matter that the title was cheesy. In fact, that title added to the film whether you liked the movie or not.

All I'm saying is that when this title is on every single SW EP II advertisement, with the official SW fonts and such, and when we see it in the film's opening crawl, it'll totally seem like a SW title. It has sunk in for me already.

10. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    I just became a "Can't stop the music" fan. They don't make films like that anymore. :p

11. TPMrules23

TPMrules23 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2000
    Frescoe,
    "AOTC just sounds silly."
    You know what...I kind of agree with you, from the standpoint that I can't imagine hearing 'and the academy award goes to...' with AOTC after it. Although I can see AOTC being of that quality, so I am a little dissapointed that GL didn't try to give it a title of the film's caliber. But I love the kiddy, exciting feel to it at the same time.

Quaff,
    "If GL can pull THAT off, I'll give him a standing ovation for a year. Let's just say that I'm not yet warming up my hands"
    Well, if you have read any of the EII dialogue from spoilers, I got to say Hales was writing most of the dialogue. I will admit George's FEW shortcomings, and certain dialogue is one of them. TPM and ANH type of dialogue just won't work for EII. The dialogue is serious, at times cute, and since its delivered by Hayden(damn you!) and Natalie(I [face_love] Padme), I think it will look good on screen. If McCallum is being at all objective, it'll be the best thing since Natalie in WTHI.

"Of course, if it's excellent then the title really won't matter in the long run."
    No doubt. ESB is a really silly title that has nothing to do with the true heart of the movie. Nobody cares cause the movie rocks sooooo much.

"Uh... just like there was no reason to show the Rebellion and its struggle against the Empire since it was just a backdrop for the "real" story?"
    Did we see the Bothan spies? Did we see the Battle before ANH? No. A lot of stuff was left out. We got kick a** action sequences, that's all Binary should be asking for.

"(BTW, cut it with the spoiler **** already, willya? Some of us are still hoping to be pleasantly SURPRISED by AOTC.)"
    Unless you have Jedi Mind powers and can read GL's mind, I guarantee you right now, you will be dissapointed by a few shocking things opening night. If you read the occasional spoilers, you, and probably every old school SW fan, will think its the best thing since ESB. There are a few fundamental things that you should be PREPARED to be shocked about. I won't tell you what they are, but if you want to know what you should leave your mind open about, I'll be glad to tell you. I don't want to hear people whining about things in EII that are REALLY, REALLY good, but they were too close-minded/shocked to see its brilliance. What GL did with the Clone Wars is soooooo goood, it fits Palpy so well. It's all so good. I don't want people's preconceptions to affect AOTC the way they did for TPM. I want SW to be seen in the same light as it was before TPM, as much as a gusher as I am, I think I can admit that SW's reputation has gone down after JJ, midis, etc. sadly. And most of its because of preconceptions.

TrueJedi,
    "I can't agree with you that Star WARS is not really about star wars. The real story is the fight about good vs. evil. The war is very significant and we should be able to see it."
    I agree....SW is about the good and evil WITHIN. Not rebels versus empire, or Naboo versus TF. Those are just ways of making it more exciting. The true story often comes btwn the action sequences...although in EII, I'd say it is delivered during it in many instances. Same with all SW, though, its great that way.

12. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I haven't been this angry about anything "Star Wars" since May 1999. :mad:

"Attack of the Clones"

Good grief, Lucas. Thanks a lot. :mad:

13. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    On behalf of Lucas I would like to say you're welcome. Now, if you will just follow the yellow line on the floor, it will lead you away from the SW saga and towards films more worth your time such as Matrix and LOTR. Thanks for your early childhood patronidge, and good luck with the rest of your adult life.

14. TPMrules23

TPMrules23 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2000
    Binary,
    I'm surprised you don't like it! Honest - when I heard it, I was like 'whaaaaa? what about the love story....hey, Binary will dig this' I thought you'd be all over this cause its old school like ANH.

15. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Replies to the above posts postponed for a run to Dairy Queen. :)

16. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    This has been so funny. Here we had members toiling for the title.

"I think 'Fall of the Republic' would be cool."

Then "Attack of the Clones"

"Whaaaaaa? What a stupid title!"

"It's a joke isn't it?"

"Oh my God, Lucas has gone nuts!"

"That's the best he could come up with?"

He he. I really like the title now. This place lit up like the 4th of July for the first time in over a year. You guys have made my day. :D

17. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Oh come now :)
    You know Binary has to hate everything Star Wars since 1977 ANH. ;)
    What get's to me is how he saw TPM more than once. I dunno. . . that just doesn't make sense :)
    I get that from a post he made about seeing it like 4 times thinking maybe he missed something or that it's be different. While admittedly if you want to give a film a second chance, I commend you. Giving a film you hate 4chances is just. . . I don't think I can put that politely :) j/k That's like, 27 bucks down the drain!
    I mean, he knows he's gonna despise everything in AotC no matter if it's actually good or not. Well, we know that anyway :) So why see it? (No personal attacks were meant btw, just good natured ribbing. . . I think 'ribbing' was a bad choice of words but moving on)
    I mean, at least hawk and TrueJedi aren't predestining themselves to hate AotC (which I admit was more than I would've given them credit for. I'm baaad :(). But they actually seemed pumped up about this! In fact, with the exception of the extremist (Go-Mer and Binary) and a few others, it actually seems like the role of basher and gusher has been reversed! lol!
    I love it :D
    I was always in the middle with TPM and I think I'm gonna stay that way :) Middle being I loved it but know it wasn't perfect (just like the OT and any other movie).
    This is the first time I've preferred reading this forum over the Aotc/III forum!

18. MoonMan080

Apr 13, 2001
    I think even the fans who rally despised TPM still have faith in Lucas.........

I just don't give a damn about this title. I consider myself a pretty heavy fan of SW. but now i see some of you guys and im like...............whoa...............

YOU GUYS ARE NUTS! :)

19. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    TPMRULES23, I bet you're the type of dude/dudette who when watching a flick is constantly turning to whoever hasn't seen it yet and saying "This part coming up is really funny!" or "You're not gonna believe the surprise plot twist coming up here!"

Ain'tcha? ;)

Sorry man, but talking AROUND spoilers is nearly as bad as coming right out and saying them aloud. If you're already spoiled on AOTC, then that was your choice, but please have a LITTLE consideration here and just check your Spy Report references (direct and/or oblique) at the door.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEZ?????????????

20. Darth_Nemesis

Darth_Nemesis Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2001
    Well, it doesn't look like anyone likes Star Wars that much anymore, and it's really starting to make me wander if I like it anymore. Everyone says Episode 1 sucks. I thought it could have been better but hell it's not as bad as it seems. I know non-star wars fans that liked it better than some of you. And now your saying Episode 2 sucks just because you hate the title. I think this movie will rock. But now so many people think it will suck, that it makes me wander again. What the hell happened, it's like the prequels shouldn't be made at all.Some of you have been waiting 20 + years to see the prequels. Now you turn your backs on it, just because it wasn't at all like you imagined it. I'm only 17 and probably won't convince any of you of what I'm trying to say. And that is you should except the damn title and have faith that it will be a good movie. Sure it may not be what you imagined, but you should atleast be open minded to george's new ideas.

21. MoonMan080

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm with you Nem, But you gotta remember, this is a small amount of people in these forums. I think out side of these Forums the bashing is not as bad.

SW was always just fun for me, but these forums have been getting nuts.... just looks at what happend with the ep2 title! IT DON'T GET BETTER FROM HERE!

Most of these guys bitch at the most trivial things possible.......

I love this site, but im startin to get sick o these forums.

22. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Hiya CeeJay, long time no see!

Scott3eyez wrote, "I think that III is the one you [Binary Sunset] are waiting for."

I don't know; I've heard this before. It used to be, "Just wait until eps II and III; that's when the action starts." Now I'm beginning to hear, "Just wait until ep III; then things'll cook." But what happens if there are no Clone Wars in Ep III? :(

Go-Mer-Tonic, how in the world did I know that you would say, "You're welcome"? ;)

TMPrules23 wrote: "Binary, I'm surprised you don't like it! Honest - when I heard it, I was like 'whaaaaa? what about the love story....hey, Binary will dig this' I thought you'd be all over this cause its old school like ANH."

I swear I thought the same about you in reverse! I remember thinking, "Go-Mer will like this, but TMPrules23 will be disappointed in the title. It's not deep enough." Anyway, GL screwed the title up more than I thought possible. If I were naming this baby, it would be "The Clone Wars" (now that is old school). "Attack of the Clones" sounds like a spoof of "The Clone Wars". (Of course, this assumes that there ARE Clone Wars in the movie. If there is not, or if there is precious little, then I would not name it "The Clone Wars". What I'm saying is that Ep II should be full of the Clone Wars from start to finish; but I don't think I'll get that.)

That Wascally Droid wrote: "You know Binary has to hate everything Star Wars since 1977 ANH. What get's to me is how he saw TPM more than once. I dunno. . . that just doesn't make sense. I get that from a post he made about seeing it like 4 times thinking maybe he missed something or that it's be different. While admittedly if you want to give a film a second chance, I commend you. Giving a film you hate 4 chances is just. . . I don't think I can put that politely j/k That's like, 27 bucks down the drain! I mean, he knows he's gonna despise everything in AotC no matter if it's actually good or not. Well, we know that anyway. So why see it?...with the exception of the extremists (Go-Mer and Binary) and a few others, it actually seems like the role of basher and gusher has been reversed!"

Ah Wascally, I like your sense of humor! But if you'll remember, the 3rd and 4th times I saw TPM it was unwillingly. The 3rd time my then-girlfriend now-wife pressured me into taking her; the 4th time I took a young boy that I had promised to take before TPM was even released. So, you see, I really gave it only two chances. ;)

Now, I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is certain that I won't like Attack of the Clones. I would say there is about a 90-95% chance of me not liking it. I hope I'll like it, but GL's choice of titles sure has made me more pessimistic.

Lastly, I like how you grouped myself and Go-Mer-Tonic together. I don't think anyone's ever done that before. I wonder why? :)

23. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    Concerns over rending the fabric of space and time, perhaps? I'm just guessin' here, y'unnerstand...

;)

24. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    >>>You know what...I kind of agree with you, from the standpoint that I can't imagine hearing 'and the academy award goes to...' with AOTC after it.<<<

LOL, that would be hillarious. I can just imagine the complete embarrasment from the guy announcing it, and hear the groans from the crowd. The title itself would just stink up the entire award ceremony.

25. MoonMan080

Apr 13, 2001

Coming Soon:

STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS

it jus aint right

The clones are attacking this time, why are we still doubting that?

Ep2 is lighting the fire and heatin up real good, With Ep3 in full boil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.