main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Attack of the Clones: the film that TPM should have been

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by TrueJedi, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grayson

grayson Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 1999
    Couple of things in this thread that really made me laugh:

"I'm not sure the AOTC will be as good as TPM. "

"Attack of the Hungry Hungry Nipples"

Whew. Now that I've caught my breath, I kind of like Cee-Jay's idea for Ep. III's title, Fall of the Jedi. Now that seems to fit with the other titles.

2. MoonMan080

MoonMan080 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2001
    " I'm starting to think that the quality of ANH and TESB was unintentional. "

I've been thinkin that for quite a few years myself.

3. TPMrules23

TPMrules23 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2000
    Patrick,
    "PLEEEEEEEEEEEEZ?????????????"
    Hmmmm...ALL right. Sorry if I spoiled you at all, and yeah, I probably would be that guy at the theater ;)...

Binary,
    "What I'm saying is that Ep II should be full of the Clone Wars from start to finish; but I don't think I'll get that."
    But what makes the Clone Wars so special? I guarantee you will not be dissapointed by the amount of action in EII, whether you consider it Clone War or not. Just keep your mind open. All SW has huges conflicts within it, I don't see why the Clone Wars is any cooler. If anything, its less cool cause we don't really know the characters, we need to see our heroes to make the scenes better. AOTC has still yet to set in, really.

Episode III might be called Clone Wars, but that would be really, really thin. Fall of the Republic might be better, but still thin.

Hey CeeJay, nice to see you around!

"It's freakin' HILARIOUSLY horrible!"
    If it weren't for these previous 'Attack of...' films, I would have no problem with the title at all. But Lucas KNOWS these movies were made, and that most of them suck a**.

Frescoe,
    No, you'll change your mind about that. BTW, Natalie is the hottest actress ever.

I'd like to make it clear that not one single person involved in Episode II has uttered a single negative thing about it's quality(besides Ewan on the title and acting in front of blue screen). Even Ewan says the script is better than TPM, like Ewan would have a clue what SW is about, Samuel L says its just like ANH in terms of excitement, Natalie and Hayden(damn you!) both loved working on it and being in Sydney. Lucas has called it his favorite SW, yet. Hales has talked about how he wanted to make it the greatest movie ever, and talks about how amazing it is. McDiarmid, as always, loved being a part of it. The Insiders say it rocks.

Which is why I wish Lucas had made the title a less bashable. As Hoedaack(SW Insider) said, EII was the movie everyone thought was unbreakable and unbashable. The title just gives the net something to get riled up about. But, hey, the title has been growing on me, and its just that, a title.

4. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    It amazes me that we can find so much to discuss about four words that have been officially released. As for me, I'm waiting until I see the movie before I judge the title too heavily. Look on the bright side...it could have been called "Star Wars: Clone Wars"! :p

Quote:
    "Hi there Binary, Hawk, TPMRules23 and my old head bashing nemesis Gomer. Good to see you're all still at it and doing fine! That Rabid Balding Ewok still lose?" --CeeJay

Why can't all TPM board members be this jovial, even to their "opponents"? Good to see you too, Ceej! :D

5. C-3P0

C-3P0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    When I first read the title it made me smile. I still love it.

I can only assume (and yes I know what assuming does ;) ) that many of you were not around or aware when The Empire Strikes Back was announced as the title to the second film. The reactions are almost identical.

Try this little experiment on for size and see if it makes you enjoy the title any more:

Replace the Noun in each subtitle with something you find extremely cheesy. For this example I will use Swamp Monster.

Star Wars: The Phantom Swamp Monster
    Star Wars: Attack of the Swamp Monster
    Star Wars: Revenge of the Swamp Monster (Yes, I realize there is no title for Episode 3 yet, but I like Revenge of the Sith personally.)
    Star Wars: A new Swamp Monster
    Star wars: The Swamp Monster Strikes Back
    Star Wars: Return of the
    Swamp Monster

See. I think the title fits with the rest of the series. :)

BTW. It's great to see the influx of new blood, and returning members around here.

6. Quaff-Down Gin

Quaff-Down Gin Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 1999
    Nathan you are the greatest my man! Stop by "The Dictionary" for a Schlitz and some Chex Mix any time!

--------------------

"Episode III might be called Clone Wars, but that would be really, really thin. Fall of the Republic might be better, but still thin."

23, like Rick McCallum I agree with you _completely_; however, please indulge me in how "Attack of the Clones" is necessarily "thick".

7. TPMrules23

TPMrules23 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2000
    Quaff,
    Well - no, I mean the title isn't as thin as people are saying it is. Phantom Menace got a lot of negative reaction, even from me, I thought it sucked at the time, but it really makes sense, and its REALLY cool. Almost every major character in the movie in one way or another is the Phantom Menace. AOTC compared to TPM is a thin title, but it does have a little twist to it, which I can't mention on the TPM board. I don't see how AOTC captures what EII is about, though.

8. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    How's this for twilite zone?
    I downloaded the video of Ewan and Nocole's reaction to hearing the title and it was almost verbatim to me and my gf's reactions when we first heard about it!
    Nicole and my gf said almost the exact same thing in the exact same way! Me and Ewan were a tad off however :)
    The title did grow on me. I still think it reeks of cheese, but it's fun :D
    I think i'm really gonna enjoy this one!
    And yes ANH and ESB were unintentional! It was all part of Lucas' plan! Course, the fact that it was unintentional and unintentional by definition means something cannot be planned means that it couldn't be part of his plan. . . But it still was! You'll see!
    For once I can be basher and gusher. I am a greek god.

9. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    where did you get the video download?

10. Sebulba49

Sebulba49 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 1999
    C-3P0, I was just going to tell everyone to do that! :D You guys can't honestly tell me that Attack of the Clones is any cheesier than The Clones Strike Back!

11. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    It's over at AICN.com. Yeah yeah, I know, I know. But it's only 1mb or so and it's SO worth it!
    Nicole's 'ATTACK OF THE CLONES!?' is priceless!
    She's such a hottie.

12. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    The video is at the Ain't it Cool website. (though I hate giving that CHEESY site more traffic)

I think most people had a 'you're joking' reaction to the title at first.

First of all you're not sure if it's reall because of all the internet rumours, second because it DOES sound a bit on the cheesy side. The fact that they were at a media event and there was a camera turned on when they heard the news makes the reaction seem more final - expecially given the number of 'I'm getting used to it' messages I've seen.

I had a very similar reaction to 'The Empire Strikes Back'. It had a melodramatic, cheesy feel to in when I heard it in 78 or 79. (don't ask me when first I heard it, it's been WAY too long.) I mean, it only too one viewing for me to associate the words STAR WARS with something great and unique, and not with something that sounded like STAR TREK.

13. PettyWhinyMalcontent

PettyWhinyMalcontent Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2001
    JarJarGabor here. Just wondering why the heck I'm always getting banned.

14. Quaff-Down Gin

May 28, 1999
    Look people!!!

It's the CLONE of JarJarGabor!!!

GET HIM!!!!!

15. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    Thanks guys.

The exact link is:

http://homepage.mac.com/dalvarado/.Movies/clones.mov

Considering Ewan's reaction, I think it would have been better if GL had briefed the actors ahead of time as to what the name would be in order to avoid this embarrassing display on CNN.

16. JarJarGabor1

JarJarGabor1 Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2001
    Hey Quaff, how's this? :)

If an admin. is reading this, I'd like to know why I was banned. I submitted an unban request but I realised too late that the attached email address is no longer functional.

17. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Sadly, I think Ewan and Nicole's reaction was the norm for 90% of the populace lol
    Yes, he should have! Evan Hamill was taken aback :)
    I dunno what it is, but that title grows on ya you know?
    Well, not everybody. But it will :)
    This may have been the smartest unintentional move Lucas ever made :)

18. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    AS I mentioned, initially the title was a bit of a shock, unlike my reaction to the previous films, but I like it.

My only concern is that the film actually does have something to do with the Clones and that their attack isn't some pathetic display that is over in the last two minutes of the film.

19. Quaff-Down Gin

May 28, 1999
    You all realize that only Ric Olie could have come up with that title.

20. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Day 3, and still hating the title.

Just in!!!! EIII title: "The day the clones stood still!"

Why do people thnk the prequels will have no clone wars?:

LUKE: No, my father didn't fight in the clone wars, he was a navigator on a spice frieghter.

BEN: That's what your uncle wanted you to believe.

And then of course Liea refers to Ben as "General."

Or is this just going to be another Yoda teaching Ben issue?

21. Bud Frescoe

Bud Frescoe Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2000
    Naboo concentration camps: offscreen.
    Yoda teaching Ben: offscreen.
    Ben teaching Anakin (the first ten years): offscreen.
    The Clone Wars: offscreen.
    The Jedi Purge: offscreen.

Stick a fork in the saga.

22. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    Lol. :D

Yes, that's my fear. That the Clone Wars will be mostly off-screen while we watch Anakin & Amidala swapping spit. And it's, "Clone Wars", plural, so will there be a Clone War I and Clone War II, etc.?

How many of the Clone Wars might we see on-screen?

Will we see just the first Clone War and the third one but not the second one? Please, someone, anyone, tell me!! :p

23. grayson

grayson Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 1999
    If you're cynical like me, you have to believe that what George is really interested in special effects. If that's true, showing the clone wars and jedi purge are in his best interest. (I haven't read one spoiler, so I really have no idea what is coming.) After all, the clone wars offer the opportunity for space battles, ground battles, clone vs. clone, jedi vs. sith. Lots of special effects opportunities. Love scenes just aren't that conducive to a bunch of CGI, models, etc. And, if you look at his track record, George has given us the original assault on the Death Star, the battle of Hoth, the battle of Endor, the assault on the second Death Star, the battle of Naboo, the space battle at Naboo, and at least one light saber duel in each film. So, we'll probably get something. It can't all happen off-screen. (Please, God, don't let it all happen off-screen.)

24. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Jedi purge off screen? Better not freak'n be, or so help me, I'll [EDIT][EDIT][EDIT]!

25. xuxuspetals

xuxuspetals Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2001
    Maybe it's the fact that I was 11 years old when ESB was announced as the title to Episode V - but despite C3PO's protestations to the contrary I certainly don't remember that as inspiring the same amount of venom that's being spit out about the title Attack of the Clones. Revisionist history as far as I'm concerned - it simply did not happen.

PS - I do remember quite a bit of contention over TPM as the title of Episode I - however, I really liked that title when it was announced (and still do).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.